IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Olympics

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yay,

Wales has won its fist olympic Gold Medal......................:)

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab Sent: Sunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend

eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

2008/7/27 Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

I am going to Center Parcs in Wiltshire for a week tomorrow, and am keen ( wife & kidspermitting ) to go to Avebury. Have you ever been? whats it like?

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I noticed she lived in south Wales - but doesn't she have a beautiful south English accent ! I think possibly she is an English migrant.

Whatever - she did really well.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:01 PM

Re: Olympics

Yay,

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > Sent: Sunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

I am going to Center Parcs in Wiltshire for a week tomorrow, and am keen ( wife & kidspermitting ) to go to Avebury. Have you ever been? whats it like?

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

He,he.

Shame China wouldnt acknowledge Wales, only GB.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 10 August, 2008 7:48:48 PMRe: Olympics

I noticed she lived in south Wales - but doesn't she have a beautiful south English accent ! I think possibly she is an English migrant.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Yay,

Wales has won its fist olympic Gold Medal....... ......... ......:)

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend

eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I suppose it could have mentioned the English girl who lives in Wales :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:50 PM

He,he.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 10 August, 2008 7:48:48 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Yay,

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

Hi PeterBeen to Avebury loads of times... depends on what sort of things you like....It's basically a smallish village in the middle of a very large stone circle. There's unfortunately a road that goes through the middle of the stone circle, so you have to cross over a couple of times to see the whole site. In one part there's a sort of central circle with slightly smaller stones, the outer stones are pretty huge (similar sort of size to Stonehenge, but much less regular in shape). Around the whole site is a ditch & small hill, which you can walk around the top of, and a few nice little treed areas. There's also "the avenue" which is an avenue (surprisingly) of stones which leads away from (or towards, depending on where you start!) the circle.In the village, there's the inevitable tourist gift shop, filled with crystals, sheil-na-gigs, new-agey magazines, postcards, etc. and a pub which I wouldn't recommend eating in unless you enjoy getting your food served either half cooked, or not served at all! I have no idea what their drinks are like, as I've never been back in there after twice being disappointed by their food. There *is*, however, a wonderful little veggie cafe called "Stones" (I think... although it might be "The Circle" now), which normally has a few vegan options.Oh, and if you're lucky, there are sometimes some sheep inside the circle! :-)BBPeter

Guest guest

She obviously has good taste!

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 10 August, 2008 8:31:17 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

He,he.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 10 August, 2008 7:48:48 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Yay,

Peter vv

Guest guest

:-)

We're coming to North Wales for a couple of days soon.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:01 PM

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 10 August, 2008 8:31:17 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

He,he.

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 10 August, 2008 7:48:48 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Yay,

Peter vv

Guest guest

*confused*

well, and drunk as well, but that's besides the point

how does Wales win a medal?

isn't that like Manitoba winning a medal?

missing something in UK political life apparently

Peter VV Aug 10, 2008 11:01 AM Re: Olympics

Yay,

Peter vv

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > Sent: Sunday, 27 July, 2008 10:40:08 PMRe: help please Jo & Peter

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

You are right - Wales doesn't win a medal - it's just Peter being

silly!!!

In the Olympics we are Great Britain.

Jo

Guest guest

The swimmer is from Wales, ( crap I knew this would backfire ) Wales is recognised by the EU as a seperate nation, has its own government etc, is Manitoba?

do you only go online after a few drinks?...:)

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 6:13:56 AMRe: Olympics

*confused*

Peter VV Aug 10, 2008 11:01 AM @gro ups.com Re: Olympics

Yay,

Peter vv

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

My sympathies......he,he. Hope the accent doesnt annoy you too much! wherabouts?

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 10 August, 2008 10:54:04 PMRe: Olympics

:-)

We're coming to North Wales for a couple of days soon.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:01 PM

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 10 August, 2008 8:31:17 PMRe: Olympics

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

He,he.

Peter vv

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Yay,

Peter vv

Guest guest

Whats so Great about it?

Whats wrong with being silly? why should I change a habit of a lifetime?

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 7:47:20 AMRe: Olympics

Hi FraggleYou are right - Wales doesn't win a medal - it's just Peter being silly!!!In the Olympics we are Great Britain.Jo

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> The swimmer is from Wales, ( crap I knew this would backfire ) Wales is recognised by the EU as a seperate nation,

Only when they remember to put it on the maps ;-)

I believe the UN recognises The United Kingdom, rather than its constituent parts.

> has its own government etc

Actually, strictly speaking, it has it's own assembly. It is still governed from London primarily - as is clear by the fact that Welsh MPs sit in the British government!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> In the Olympics we are Great Britain.

In Scotland, there has been quite some upset caused by the fact that the Chinese Olympic committee has banned the waving of all flags which are not the national flags of countries with an olympic committee.... as such, Scottish and Welsh national flags have been banned from the stadiums!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

OK got me there, in the minds and hearts of every Welsh man we are a seperate country.

And as for China banning the flags? well, freedom to do anything doesnt realy exist in China does it?especially at high profile events. I wonder how many Chinese government payroll staff are in the audience there or on the sidelines..............

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 8:27:24 AMRe: Olympics

Hi Peter

> The swimmer is from Wales, ( crap I knew this would backfire ) Wales is recognised by the EU as a seperate nation,

I believe the UN recognises The United Kingdom, rather than its constituent parts.

Actually, strictly speaking, it has it's own assembly. It is still governed from London primarily - as is clear by the fact that Welsh MPs sit in the British government!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Even if Wales were a separate country, it doesn't have an Olympic Committee so whatever the UN may say, you're going to struggle to get the IOC to recognise athletes as " Welsh " .

On 8/11/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

OK got me there, in the minds and hearts of every Welsh man we are a seperate country.

And as for China banning the flags? well, freedom to do anything doesnt realy exist in China does it?especially at high profile events. I wonder how many Chinese government payroll staff are in the audience there or on the sidelines..............

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab

Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 8:27:24 AMRe: Olympics

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Ms Madeline J Anderson

t: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

D`oh!

Peter vv

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 11:48:39 AMRe: Olympics

Even if Wales were a separate country, it doesn't have an Olympic Committee so whatever the UN may say, you're going to struggle to get the IOC to recognise athletes as "Welsh".

On 8/11/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

And as for China banning the flags? well, freedom to do anything doesnt realy exist in China does it?especially at high profile events. I wonder how many Chinese government payroll staff are in the audience there or on the sidelines... ......... ..

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 11 August, 2008 8:27:24 AMRe: Olympics

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Guest guest

what few? i drank all afternoon...

up in the marin headlands...

and, not drinking now...but since you mentioned it,.....

Peter VV Aug 10, 2008 11:48 PM Re: Olympics

The swimmer is from Wales, ( crap I knew this would backfire ) Wales is recognised by the EU as a seperate nation, has its own government etc, is Manitoba?

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 6:13:56 AMRe: Olympics

*confused*

Yay,

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

because "swell" or "nifty" britian doesn't roll off the toungue as well

Peter VV Aug 10, 2008 11:59 PM Re: Olympics

Whats so Great about it?

Peter vv

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 7:47:20 AMRe: Olympics

Hi FraggleYou are right - Wales doesn't win a medal - it's just Peter being silly!!!In the Olympics we are Great Britain.Jo

Guest guest

china doesn't want to encourage the folks in Tibet or Eastern Turkestan

Peter VV Aug 11, 2008 1:39 AM Re: Olympics

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 8:27:24 AMRe: Olympics

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Guest guest

England is also a country in it's own right, but in the Olympics we all compete for Great Britain - get used to it!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:48 AM

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 6:13:56 AMRe: Olympics

*confused*

Yay,

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Never!

Peter vv

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 10:07:44 PMRe: Olympics

England is also a country in it's own right, but in the Olympics we all compete for Great Britain - get used to it!

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:48 AM

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comMonday, 11 August, 2008 6:13:56 AMRe: Olympics

*confused*

Yay,

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

It is greater than the sum of its parts, presumably.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:59 AM

Whats so Great about it?

Peter vv

Guest guest

Well, I suppose if there are to be rules, that is the way it should be. I suspect the ahtletes get some financial aid from the British or English.

Maybe we English should be more separatist - what do you reckon?

BBJo

-

Peter

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:29 AM

Hi Jo

> In the Olympics we are Great Britain.

In Scotland, there has been quite some upset caused by the fact that the Chinese Olympic committee has banned the waving of all flags which are not the national flags of countries with an olympic committee.... as such, Scottish and Welsh national flags have been banned from the stadiums!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

The trouble is we are not separate countries - our politics and finances are entwined. I might not like it any more than you do. You are always so busy thinking that you are Welsh and separate and that the English want to hang on to you - well maybe it's not true - maybe we'd like to get you off our backs!

Now - I'm not saying that this is what I think, and I'm not saying I don't think it - because the fact is it doesn't make any difference what I think, or what you think - we are all British.

There must be better things for you to rail against, than being part of Great Britain.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:39 AM

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 8:27:24 AMRe: Olympics

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Guest guest

LOL!

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:32 PM

because "swell" or "nifty" britian doesn't roll off the toungue as well

Peter VV Aug 10, 2008 11:59 PM Re: Olympics

Whats so Great about it?

Peter vv