IndiaDivine.org

My week as a loaf of bread........

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't agree, but then your herbalist needs to make a living.

Jo

-

Lynda

Sunday, September 25, 2005 6:00 PM

Re: Re: My week as a loaf of bread........

My herbalist considers using herbs that are used for medicine in your cooking to be the same as using antibiotics for every little sniffle -- when you really need them they no longer work because you've used them for so long.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Sunday, September 25, 2005 6:28 AM

My Hare Krishna friend doesn't eat garlic, onions, chives or mushrooms - apparently because they are medicines ! He didn't have an answer for why you could not benefit from them all the time.

Jo

No, that is an assumption without basis.

She actually doesn't need to make a living, at least not from herbs. In fact, she spends her herbalist time teaching folks to raise herbs themselves and what they are used for.

To make a living she's a doctor with a PhD in speech therapy. She works with head traumas and drowning victims, etc.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

My herbalist considers using herbs that are used for medicine in your cooking to be the same as using antibiotics for every little sniffle -- when you really need them they no longer work because you've used them for so long.

Lynda

Hippocrates said something like 'let food be your medicine....' All

food has some medicinal effect - it would be silly to suggest we stop

eating it all.

Jo

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> No, that is an assumption without basis.

>

> She actually doesn't need to make a living, at least not from

herbs. In fact, she spends her herbalist time teaching folks to

raise herbs themselves and what they are used for.

>

> To make a living she's a doctor with a PhD in speech therapy. She

works with head traumas and drowning victims, etc.

>

> Lynda

> -

> Jo Cwazy

>

>

> I don't agree, but then your herbalist needs to make a living.

>

> Jo

> -

> Lynda

>

>

> My herbalist considers using herbs that are used for medicine

in your cooking to be the same as using antibiotics for every little

sniffle -- when you really need them they no longer work because

you've used them for so long.

>

> Lynda

A lot of herbs when used over a long period of time loose their potency. Echinacea is a good example which should never be used for more than 3 weeks running, as the body gets used to it.

Feverfew is a good one for migranes, and even though I fork out for capsules, you can just eat the leaves, and it has bee recommended to put some in a sandwich. It tastes absolutely fowl, I`ll save up my pennies for the capsules.But again, I only use it when I need it, not as a preventative.

The Valley Vegan.............Lynda <lurine wrote:

She actually doesn't need to make a living, at least not from herbs. In fact, she spends her herbalist time teaching folks to raise herbs themselves and what they are used for.

To make a living she's a doctor with a PhD in speech therapy. She works with head traumas and drowning victims, etc.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

It is true that echinacea should be used for a few weeks and then left for a while, but most herbs can be used regularly if you know what you are doing. However, the discussion was about onions, garlic and mushrooms which are normal food items, and there is nothing detrimental about using them constantly.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, September 26, 2005 9:44 PM

A lot of herbs when used over a long period of time loose their potency. Echinacea is a good example which should never be used for more than 3 weeks running, as the body gets used to it.

Feverfew is a good one for migranes, and even though I fork out for capsules, you can just eat the leaves, and it has bee recommended to put some in a sandwich. It tastes absolutely fowl, I`ll save up my pennies for the capsules.But again, I only use it when I need it, not as a preventative.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

No, the discussion was why don't some cultures/religions allow the eating of garlic and onions.

I explained that I was told by an herbalists that some folks think using "medicinal" herbs (some folks consider onions and garlic to be medicinal) is the same as using too many antibiotics and that when you actually need them they won't be as affective.

If one goes back and reads the exchange, it is clear that no one said don't eat them or that they weren't foods. There were questions about "why" some folks felt the way they do.

AND, no one said they were detrimental. Well, had we been talking about allergies, then I would have said it since onions and garlic sometimes have the same effect on people that they have on dogs and cats due to the thiosulphate in them. And some folks have a gag reaction the minute onions touch their mouths. I don't recommend routinely hurling simply to try and get the health benefits from these members of the lily family.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Monday, September 26, 2005 2:57 PM

It is true that echinacea should be used for a few weeks and then left for a while, but most herbs can be used regularly if you know what you are doing. However, the discussion was about onions, garlic and mushrooms which are normal food items, and there is nothing detrimental about using them constantly.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005

Go back to your corners you two!

My reply about echinacea was in response to the mesage about whether herbs should be used regularly, I was well aware that it was off the original topic, thank you.

Depends on your definition of a herb. Some people consider garlic/chives/onions, and other members of the allium family to be herbs.

Lets be a bit more friendly here shall we, after all we are on the same side aren`t we? It isn`t a competition, and theres no need to go on the offensive.

The Valley Vegan...........

Eli i pob dolur yw amynedd Patience is an ointment for every sore Lynda <lurine wrote:

No, the discussion was why don't some cultures/religions allow the eating of garlic and onions.

I explained that I was told by an herbalists that some folks think using "medicinal" herbs (some folks consider onions and garlic to be medicinal) is the same as using too many antibiotics and that when you actually need them they won't be as affective.

If one goes back and reads the exchange, it is clear that no one said don't eat them or that they weren't foods. There were questions about "why" some folks felt the way they do.

AND, no one said they were detrimental. Well, had we been talking about allergies, then I would have said it since onions and garlic sometimes have the same effect on people that they have on dogs and cats due to the thiosulphate in them. And some folks have a gag reaction the minute onions touch their mouths. I don't recommend routinely hurling simply to try and get the health benefits from these members of the lily family.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Monday, September 26, 2005 2:57 PM

Jo

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

I usually find that too much garlic in things gives me an upset stomach.

The Valley Vegan.........

Nid da rhy o ddim Too much of anything is not good Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Peter H

One of my friends finds the same. I'm glad it doesn't have that effect on me as I love it.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:39 PM

I usually find that too much garlic in things gives me an upset stomach.

The Valley Vegan.........

Nid da rhy o ddim Too much of anything is not good Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

Peter H

Peter H

Me too! I love it on almost anything.

BB

Nikki :)

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> One of my friends finds the same. I'm glad it doesn't have that

effect on me as I love it.

>

> Jo

Most people I know like it (except maybe Peter :-) ). I think it keeps away

a lot of the colds that go around at work.

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:14 PM

Re: My week as a loaf of bread........

> Me too! I love it on almost anything.