Catering???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The basic one is olive oil and lemon juice - as you say you can add

herbs and maybe ground black pepper.

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> So are there really vegan salad dressings, or is that just a myth?

I would love to make some that has lots of wonderful herbs in it, but

I don't know what the recipe would be. I've never been very good at

coming up with things, tho I can sometimes modify it for good results

after I know how to make it. Anybody have any ideas? I've had one

dressing that is a tomato based dressing with some herbs. It has a

nice little bite, so I'm gonna guess it also has lemon in it too.

Dang, I wish I were good at that sort of thing...

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack@m...> wrote:Hi Jo

>

> No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very

> least they could have done was offered a salad or something.

>

> My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a

> dressing on them and I can't have it.

>

> Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!

>

> BB

> Nikki :)

>

> , " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...>

> wrote:

> > My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's

> > contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director

> announced

> > that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen

> today.

> > Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there would

> be

> > a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the

> caterers

> > could not (?) do this. Colin emailed the MD to say that he was

> > pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was sad

> that

> > nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never

> > received an answer.

> >

> > I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am

> going

> > to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this

> has

> > happened.

> >

> > Sorry about the rant.

> >

> > Jo

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

huh... I never knew that. I love the stuff for all sorts of things (really great on the hands and body too, I understand that your body can still do all the natural things like sweat, sluff off skin...) Lynda <lurine wrote:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is cold pressed, no heat, no chemicals.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:41 PM

Re: Catering???

What is EVOO?Lynda <lurine wrote: Granola? That would be hard? Sheesh, even when we had our grocery storeand we had an "event" going on, we still had a big fruit and veggie tray,granola and a smorgy salad with oil and vinegar regular folks dressing.And, being Italian (the store and family I married into), they always hadsome sort of flat bread (focassia or pizza) in the old style (EVOO plusspices and onions, olives and tomatoes). Now, this is a shop that wasreknown nationwide for its meat market! If we could figure out everyoneisn't a carnivore and provide aseperate table (we figured veggies and vegans wouldn't want their food nextto a plate of salami), you'd think a caterer could figure something out.That's their business, it was only a fun thing for us.Lynda- "heartwerk"

<heartwork> My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's> contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director announced> that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen today.> Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there would be> a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the caterers> could not (?) do this. Colin emailed the MD to say that he was> pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was sad that> nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never> received an answer.>> I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am going> to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this has> happened.>> Sorry about the rant.>> JoJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page Jonnie

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard.

Guest guest

I'm hungry now, and it's much too late for me to eat - I'd get

terminal indigestion :-)

Jo

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> clean the mushrooms under water...

pull off stem, and slice stem anyways you want....toss the dirty base

of it in the compost

chop up some garlic and a shallot and place em in olive oil...pour

this over mushrooms

heat up a large pan, skillet, wok, whichever...

add mushrooms...

cook about 5 minutes...

flip fer about 2 to 3 minutes more

voila

sautee up some spinach and add it to em...er toss em on a bun,

er..heck..tons of things

:)

Guest guest

Not really - I guess they are just saying they are not going to

accommodate anyone who is different.

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki

>

> I would have thought they could at least have given him a selection

of basic

> fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay for

breakfast.

>

> I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukky

thought

> now.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

>

>

>

> BB

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Nope, of course, THIS side of the pond depends on WHICH side of the pond ur on. Lets see... Fraggle says 'over in the UK'... 'on this side of the pond'... 'from that side of the briney'... Oh gosh, now I've gone cross-eyed!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Redwoods is a brand over in the UK..makes a variety of meat analogs....

runner beans..scarlet runner beans...

not much seen over on this side of the pond, at least as a food item(tho, i have a couple cans of em in my cupboard)

wait..aren't you from that side of old briney???

thought you were a brit......

fraggle Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 2:03 PM Re: Re: Catering???

Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took a soyayogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our dinnertonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans andmushrooms.BBJotoday its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be like 900lbs of fruit ...i wonder wot lunch will be.....

Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page To send an email to -

Guest guest

Oh, fast RESPONSE! ok then. geez u'd think I'ld get tired of all the ducking and running.... fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

you know..yer just tryin t o get me in trouble....

i work online..so..sometimes its easy to respond fast Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 2:07 PM Re: Re: Catering???

I just posted that message! Your fast too! Wait, is that a good thing for a man? *ducking again*

Thanks, I'll have ta try that! (the dressing, that is - but on the other hand, the ducking is good excercise, until that shoe lands on the side of my head.)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i'm lazy..i go for balsamic vinegar and olive oil with spices

ok...take a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

add to several tablesspoons olive oil

place in bowl..

whisk in 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves

add fresh ground pepper,

and a handful of chopped walnuts

garnish top of wotever salad you made with a few fresh raspberries

voila'

Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 1:48 PM Re: Re: Catering???

Ooooh! Let's see, something a little sweet like a raspberry thing and another that has tomato juice sort of thing w/ lemon and herbs? What's ur fav?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

there are tons of vegan salad dressings

i mean...vinagrette is vegan right off the bat

wot sorta recipes you interested in? Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 12:38 PM Re: Re: Catering???

So are there really vegan salad dressings, or is that just a myth? I would love to make some that has lots of wonderful herbs in it, but I don't know what the recipe would be. I've never been very good at coming up with things, tho I can sometimes modify it for good results after I know how to make it. Anybody have any ideas? I've had one dressing that is a tomato based dressing with some herbs. It has a nice little bite, so I'm gonna guess it also has lemon in it too. Dang, I wish I were good at that sort of thing...earthstrm <nikkimack wrote: Hi JoNo need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very least they could have done was offered a salad or something.My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a dressing on them and I can't have it.Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!BBNikki :) , "heartwerk" <heartwork@c...> wrote:> My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's > contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director announced > that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen today. > Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there would be > a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the caterers > could not (?) do this. Colin

emailed the MD to say that he was > pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was sad that > nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never > received an answer.> > I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am going > to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this has > happened.> > Sorry about the rant.> > Jo

Jonnie

To send an email to -

Guest guest

yer not a limey?

john bull

tommy

brit

ummm..damn..ran out of slang names...the only one left i know will prolly get me hit... Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 3:45 PM Re: Re: Catering???

Nope, of course, THIS side of the pond depends on WHICH side of the pond ur on. Lets see... Fraggle says 'over in the UK'... 'on this side of the pond'... 'from that side of the briney'... Oh gosh, now I've gone cross-eyed!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

not much seen over on this side of the pond, at least as a food item(tho, i have a couple cans of em in my cupboard)

I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took a soyayogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our dinnertonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans andmushrooms.BBJotoday its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be like 900lbs of fruit ...i wonder wot lunch will be.....

Jonnie

Guest guest

Hey, this isn't fair - I'm starving now :-)

Jo

> ok...take a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

add to several tablesspoons olive oil

place in bowl..

whisk in 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves

add fresh ground pepper,

and a handful of chopped walnuts

garnish top of wotever salad you made with a few fresh raspberries

voila'

Guest guest

Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured.

Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in other

countries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer and

with a 'fresher' taste.

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took

a soya

> yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our

dinner

> tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and

> mushrooms.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

> today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be

like 900

> lbs of fruit ...

> i wonder wot lunch will be.....

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

When I was at a restaurant recently, I told them I was having trouble finding anything for me on the menu. When they made suggestions, I reminded them that I was low-fat. She said "now you are just being a difficult vegetarian!"heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Not really - I guess they are just saying they are not going toaccommodate anyone who is different.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki> > I would have thought they could at least have given him a selectionof basic> fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay forbreakfast.> > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukkythought> now.> > BB> Jo> > > Hi Jo> > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very> least they could have done was offered a salad or something.> > My company has these

too and usually even the salads already have a> dressing on them and I can't have it.> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!> > BB> Nikki :)> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

wot sort of restaurant was it?

usually, folks are real good about makin veggie stuff around here.... Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 3:57 PM Re: Re: Catering???

When I was at a restaurant recently, I told them I was having trouble finding anything for me on the menu. When they made suggestions, I reminded them that I was low-fat. She said "now you are just being a difficult vegetarian!"heartwerk <heartwork wrote: Not really - I guess they are just saying they are not going toaccommodate anyone who is different.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki> > I would have thought they could at least have given him a selectionof basic> fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay forbreakfast.> > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukkythought> now.> > BB> Jo> > > Hi Jo> > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very> least they could have done was offered a salad or something.> > My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a> dressing on them and I can't have it.> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!> > BB> Nikki :)> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

if not a limey, then a lemon? If not a john bull, they a jonnie bulley? fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yer not a limey?

john bull

tommy

brit

ummm..damn..ran out of slang names...the only one left i know will prolly get me hit... Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 3:45 PM Re: Re: Catering???

Jonnie

Guest guest

I know, me too! I still have a few hours until dinner and me with no snack!heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Hey, this isn't fair - I'm starving now :-)Jo , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> ok...take a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegaradd to several tablesspoons olive oilplace in bowl..whisk in 2 tablespoons raspberry preservesadd fresh ground pepper,and a handful of chopped walnutsgarnish top of wotever salad you made with a few fresh raspberriesvoila':)Jonnie

Guest guest

When my dad was in Vietnam he mistook an English pilot for an Australian and cracked a joke about the "Raffies." He got his ass kicked.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

8/12/2005 4:49:59 PM

Re: Re: Catering???

yer not a limey?

john bull

tommy

brit

Jonnie

Guest guest

She was joking... We found some things, but they didn't have much. They had salads, would leave the meat off and charge the same price, but no vegan dressing, etc. She put together some vegan fajitas w/ ww tortillas.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

wot sort of restaurant was it?

usually, folks are real good about makin veggie stuff around here.... Jonnie Hellens Aug 12, 2005 3:57 PM Re: Re: Catering???

When I was at a restaurant recently, I told them I was having trouble finding anything for me on the menu. When they made suggestions, I reminded them that I was low-fat. She said "now you are just being a difficult vegetarian!"heartwerk <heartwork wrote: Not really - I guess they are just saying they are not going toaccommodate anyone who is different.Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki> > I would have thought they could at least have given him a selectionof basic> fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay forbreakfast.> > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukkythought> now.> > BB> Jo> > > Hi Jo> > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very> least they could have done was offered a salad or something.> > My company has these

too and usually even the salads already have a> dressing on them and I can't have it.> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!> > BB> Nikki :)> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

YUCK, YUCK, double YUCK! In the 70s here, they just about hooked you up to

a tube of milk! I do NOT drink milk. Haven't touched the stuff since I was

2 years old! When I refused their stupid milk, they decided they could

dress it up and I'd drink it. Nope, I HATE hot chocolate! I don't like

pudding! I don't eat cereal with milk! You'd a thought I had committed a

major crime against society! They even poured milk on my blooming Cream of

Wheat! Gag!

I got the whole speech about how I was depriving the kidlet by not drinking

milk. ~~sigh~~ You should have seen the look on the nurse's face when I

said I didn't give birth to a calf and I thought DD would do quite nicely

without calf food!

Lynda

-

heartwerk <heartwork

Friday, August 12, 2005 3:31 PM

> I don't know whether religion would have counted anymore in Colin's

> firm, but I think it would in most places.

>

> I think that most doctors don't know much about healthy diets. A

> Hindu friend at work was telling me how when she had her baby in the

> 1970s the hospital didn't provide any veggie food for her - not even

> milk (she is veggie not vegan). Her husband had to take in enough

> food for her, otherwise they would have let her have no meals for

> several days after having a baby, and feeding it! I belive nowadays

> they provide a veggie diet - presumably based on cheese mainly, but I

> bet they don't do much for vegans.

>

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > As my DH would say " That is totally unacceptable! " My DH doesn't

> eat fish or chicken and when his company would have some sort of

> luncheon, he would ask for a vegetarian meal and they would always

> comply. I'm guessing if he asked for vegan, they would have also.

> It's up to the company to make sure that it is available. If they

> press the caterers to do it, they would. Of course, is the vegan

> mentions that it is because of religious reasons, I bet it would

> happen given todays sue happy people? What do you think?

> >

> > I am often frustrated by the fact that eating out is such a

> challenge. Sadly, we still eat most of our meals out, mostly because

> of our diverse meal plans. I was very happy not too long ago that my

> request for special food was taken into account. My son has heart

> problems and we were invited to use Gonzo's suite for a ball game and

> Gonzo also provided $300 in food credits. You would think because it

> was a heart thing that it would be a given that healthy food is

> provided, but over and over I'm finding it isn't. My own cardologist

> admitted that he doesn't know much about diets. When I was last in

> the hospital, I kept saying that I couldn't eat that and they kept

> saying that they knew I was on a special diet and it was " allowed " .

> >

> > heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's

> > contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director announced

> > that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen today.

> > Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there would be

> > a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the caterers

> > could not (?) do this. Colin emailed the MD to say that he was

> > pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was sad that

> > nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never

> > received an answer.

> >

> > I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am going

> > to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this has

> > happened.

> >

> > Sorry about the rant.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Well, I'd use the generic stuff for the hands and body <g> EVOO doesn't come cheap. Much better taste. Makes the best salad dressing, particularly with aged balsamic, a dash of red wine vinegar or lemon juice, finely mince some garlic, extra fine ground pepper, a dash of mustard and some herbs. Let meld over night in the fridge. Yummy!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 12, 2005 3:36 PM

huh... I never knew that. I love the stuff for all sorts of things (really great on the hands and body too, I understand that your body can still do all the natural things like sweat, sluff off skin...) Lynda <lurine wrote:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is cold pressed, no heat, no chemicals.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:41 PM

What is EVOO?Lynda <lurine wrote: Granola? That would be hard? Sheesh, even when we had our grocery storeand we had an "event" going on, we still had a big fruit and veggie tray,granola and a smorgy salad with oil and vinegar regular folks dressing.And, being Italian (the store and family I married into), they always hadsome sort of flat bread (focassia or pizza) in the old style (EVOO plusspices and onions, olives and tomatoes). Now, this is a shop that wasreknown nationwide for its meat market! If we could figure out everyoneisn't a carnivore and provide aseperate table (we figured veggies and vegans wouldn't want their food nextto a plate of salami), you'd think a caterer could figure something out.That's their business, it was only a fun thing for us.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartwork> My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's> contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director announced> that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen today.> Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there would be> a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the caterers> could not (?) do this. Colin emailed the MD to say that he was> pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was sad that> nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never> received an answer.>> I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am going> to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this has> happened.>> Sorry about the rant.>> JoJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page Jonnie

Read only the mail you want - Mail SpamGuard.

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.7/70 - Release 8/11/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.8/71 - Release 8/12/05

Guest guest

It should be easy to have low-fat vegetarian -unless of course there

is cheese and cream in everything. I don't know why eateries can't

get used to the idea that they could cook a few vegan meals, and

vegetarians would eat them as well, but no they don't know anything

other than cheese and cream!

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> When I was at a restaurant recently, I told them I was having

trouble finding anything for me on the menu. When they made

suggestions, I reminded them that I was low-fat. She said " now you

are just being a difficult vegetarian! "

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:Not really - I guess they are just

saying they are not going to

> accommodate anyone who is different.

>

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> > Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki

> >

> > I would have thought they could at least have given him a selection

> of basic

> > fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay for

> breakfast.

> >

> > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukky

> thought

> > now.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > Hi Jo

> >

> > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very

> > least they could have done was offered a salad or something.

> >

> > My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a

> > dressing on them and I can't have it.

> >

> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!

> >

> > BB

> > Nikki :)

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to

-

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

The flowers are a lovely scarlet, and the leaves a bright light to mid

green - definitely a handsome plant and lots of people grow them

amongst flowers. The pods are about 9 to 12 inches long, flat and

green - I have heard some people call them string beans because there

is a sort of hard fibre down one edge.

Jo

> scarlet runner beans.....

> its more of an ornament plant over here...

>

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...>

> Aug 12, 2005 3:55 PM

>

> Re: Catering???

>

> Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured.

> Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in other

> countries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer and

> with a 'fresher' taste.

>

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> > Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took

> a soya

> > yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our

> dinner

> > tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and

> > mushrooms.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be

> like 900

> > lbs of fruit ...

> > i wonder wot lunch will be.....

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to

-

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

I never liked milk that much. I did and do like puddings and hot

chocolate, but I can do all that with soya milk.

Jo

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> YUCK, YUCK, double YUCK! In the 70s here, they just about hooked

you up to

> a tube of milk! I do NOT drink milk. Haven't touched the stuff

since I was

> 2 years old! When I refused their stupid milk, they decided they could

> dress it up and I'd drink it. Nope, I HATE hot chocolate! I don't like

> pudding! I don't eat cereal with milk! You'd a thought I had

committed a

> major crime against society! They even poured milk on my blooming

Cream of

> Wheat! Gag!

>

> I got the whole speech about how I was depriving the kidlet by not

drinking

> milk. ~~sigh~~ You should have seen the look on the nurse's face

when I

> said I didn't give birth to a calf and I thought DD would do quite

nicely

> without calf food!

>

> Lynda

> -

>

> Friday, August 12, 2005 3:31 PM

>

>

> > I don't know whether religion would have counted anymore in Colin's

> > firm, but I think it would in most places.

> >

> > I think that most doctors don't know much about healthy diets. A

> > Hindu friend at work was telling me how when she had her baby in the

> > 1970s the hospital didn't provide any veggie food for her - not even

> > milk (she is veggie not vegan). Her husband had to take in enough

> > food for her, otherwise they would have let her have no meals for

> > several days after having a baby, and feeding it! I belive nowadays

> > they provide a veggie diet - presumably based on cheese mainly, but I

> > bet they don't do much for vegans.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , Jonnie Hellens

> > <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > > As my DH would say " That is totally unacceptable! " My DH doesn't

> > eat fish or chicken and when his company would have some sort of

> > luncheon, he would ask for a vegetarian meal and they would always

> > comply. I'm guessing if he asked for vegan, they would have also.

> > It's up to the company to make sure that it is available. If they

> > press the caterers to do it, they would. Of course, is the vegan

> > mentions that it is because of religious reasons, I bet it would

> > happen given todays sue happy people? What do you think?

> > >

> > > I am often frustrated by the fact that eating out is such a

> > challenge. Sadly, we still eat most of our meals out, mostly because

> > of our diverse meal plans. I was very happy not too long ago that my

> > request for special food was taken into account. My son has heart

> > problems and we were invited to use Gonzo's suite for a ball game and

> > Gonzo also provided $300 in food credits. You would think because it

> > was a heart thing that it would be a given that healthy food is

> > provided, but over and over I'm finding it isn't. My own cardologist

> > admitted that he doesn't know much about diets. When I was last in

> > the hospital, I kept saying that I couldn't eat that and they kept

> > saying that they knew I was on a special diet and it was " allowed " .

> > >

> > > heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > > My husband's firm has just secured a big contract, which Colin's

> > > contribution played a big part in. The Managing Director announced

> > > that everybody would receive a free breakfast at the canteen today.

> > > Colin asked the person arranging the breakfast whether there

would be

> > > a vegan one for him, and she got back to him to say that the

caterers

> > > could not (?) do this. Colin emailed the MD to say that he was

> > > pleased the rest of the company would be celebrating, and was

sad that

> > > nothing suitable would be provided for him. Apparently he never

> > > received an answer.

> > >

> > > I've told him to find out which catering company it is, and I am

going

> > > to have a letter writing campaign. This is the second time this has

> > > happened.

> > >

> > > Sorry about the rant.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to

-

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

string beans are different over here....

i had a bunch of scarlet runner beans growing around here fer a few

years...but..fer some reason they didn't come back this year

ah well

fraggle

heartwerk <heartwork

Aug 13, 2005 3:18 AM

The flowers are a lovely scarlet, and the leaves a bright light to mid

green - definitely a handsome plant and lots of people grow them

amongst flowers. The pods are about 9 to 12 inches long, flat and

green - I have heard some people call them string beans because there

is a sort of hard fibre down one edge.

Jo

> scarlet runner beans.....

> its more of an ornament plant over here...

>

>

> Aug 12, 2005 3:55 PM

>

>

> Redwoods roast - a bit like Tofurkey but sort of beef flavoured.

> Runner beans - help - I don't know what they are called in other

> countries - kind of like green beans or French beans, but longer and

> with a 'fresher' taste.

>

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> > Redwoods roast? Runner beans? 'splain please!

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > I took hummous, bread and cucumber for lunch. For breakfast I took

> a soya

> > yogurt and pumpkin seeds, and an apple and banana for snacks. Our

> dinner

> > tonight was a Redwoods roast with roast potatoes, runner beans and

> > mushrooms.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > today its more bagels..and lotsa fruit..i swear there's gotta be

> like 900

> > lbs of fruit ...

> > i wonder wot lunch will be.....

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to

-

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Oh YUM!

Nikki :)

> thats horrid

> :(

>

> my company has a definate split ....

> one part is very veggie friendly, and will make sure all meetings,

conferences, and parties have a wide variety of veggie goodies

> the other side, which is more linked to our parent company based

in San diego is more " here...pizza...what? just pick the stuff off.. "

>

> all week long they've been having big sales

conferences....yesterday they had veggie and vegan portebella

sandwiches, bagels, tons of fruits and vegetables...and of course a

ton of beer....

> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>

> fraggle

>

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack@m...>

> Aug 12, 2005 5:59 AM

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

>

> My company has these too and usually even the salads already have

a

>

>

> BB

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo

You would think it would be the least they could do!

I have yet to find a good vegan or soy cheese pizza that I like. But

I do make a homemade one two different ways. Either a red sauce with

veggies on it or a olive oil, basil base with veggies on it.

Then there is always tomato bread. Basically pizze type dough, olive

oil and basil brushed on and then sliced fresh tomatoes on top.

Nikki :)

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Thanks Nikki

>

> I would have thought they could at least have given him a

selection of basic

> fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay for

breakfast.

>

> I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukky

thought

> now.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

>

>

>

> BB

Guest guest

Thanks for those tips Nikki. I will try them out, probably at the weekend.

They sound tasty :-)

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:31 AM

> Hi Jo

>

> You would think it would be the least they could do!

>

> I have yet to find a good vegan or soy cheese pizza that I like. But

> I do make a homemade one two different ways. Either a red sauce with

> veggies on it or a olive oil, basil base with veggies on it.

>

> Then there is always tomato bread. Basically pizze type dough, olive

> oil and basil brushed on and then sliced fresh tomatoes on top.

>

>

>

> , " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > Thanks Nikki

> >

> > I would have thought they could at least have given him a

> selection of basic

> > fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay for

> breakfast.

> >

> > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukky

> thought

> > now.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > Hi Jo

> >

> > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very

> > least they could have done was offered a salad or something.

> >

> > My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a

> > dressing on them and I can't have it.

> >

> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!

> >

> > BB

> > Nikki :)

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

You'ld think so huh? I went to a restaurant last night where they have made it clear they would cook whatever they have, however they can. I put together a meal with sauteed mushrooms (in garlic and wine), potatoes and steamed veggies. You get to eat all you want of their salad bar, which always has a vegetarian soup too. It takes so little to fill me up these days, that I was full after the salad bar and was disappointed I didn't have room for the stuff I ordered and would have to take it for later.heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

It should be easy to have low-fat vegetarian -unless of course thereis cheese and cream in everything. I don't know why eateries can'tget used to the idea that they could cook a few vegan meals, andvegetarians would eat them as well, but no they don't know anythingother than cheese and cream!Jo , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:> When I was at a restaurant recently, I told them I was havingtrouble finding anything for me on the menu. When they madesuggestions, I reminded them that I was low-fat. She said "now youare just being a difficult vegetarian!"> > heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:Not really - I guess they are justsaying they are not going to> accommodate anyone who is different.> > Jo> > --- In

, Jonnie Hellens> <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> > Can you believe all the peop who deny that they even have FRUIT?> > > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:Thanks Nikki> > > > I would have thought they could at least have given him a selection> of basic> > fruits - apples, bananas, grapes. That would have been okay for> breakfast.> > > > I remember there was a time when I liked pizzas, but it's a yukky> thought> > now.> > > > BB> > Jo> > > > > > Hi Jo> > > > No need to be sorry, both you and Colin deserve to rant! The very> > least they could have done was offered a salad or something.> > > > My company has these too and usually even the salads already have a> > dressing on them and I can't have it.> >

> > Or we do company meeting lunches with pizza, oh joy!> > > > BB> > Nikki :)> > > > > > > > To send an email to- > > > > > > > >