IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

PETA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms because

one dares to question something, delete here.

O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidlet

is working her way from vegetarian to vegan.

She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit into

her about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at the

local " no-kill " shelter and told her she was sending her money to people who

run a " kill " shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals she

should send her money to folks that don't kill animals.

Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Virginia

or where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)

all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter with

excuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need of

humane euthenizing.

HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.

Lynda

Guest guest

please be aware that this thing is all over the net, and has billboards in like times square

the guy behind it runs a PR company called Center for Consumer Freedom which is a front fer the beef council, the tobacco lobby and half a dozen other companies..he runs a couple PR firms, which represent everything from soda companies to the entertainment industry

i don't have the link to this guy at work tho Lynda Jun 7, 2005 9:49 AM PETA This question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Virginiaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.LyndaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

its not about PETA, but this gives you the general lay of the land

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/anti_organic_consumer_group.cfm-----Original Message----- fraggle Jun 7, 2005 10:41 AM Re: PETA

please be aware that this thing is all over the net, and has billboards in like times square

the guy behind it runs a PR company called Center for Consumer Freedom which is a front fer the beef council, the tobacco lobby and half a dozen other companies..he runs a couple PR firms, which represent everything from soda companies to the entertainment industry

i don't have the link to this guy at work tho Lynda Jun 7, 2005 9:49 AM PETA This question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Virginiaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.LyndaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

more

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedom

there's a couple links i know about PETA..alas, i have them saved at home fraggle Jun 7, 2005 10:45 AM Re: PETA

its not about PETA, but this gives you the general lay of the land

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/anti_organic_consumer_group.cfm-----Original Message----- fraggle Jun 7, 2005 10:41 AM Re: PETA

Guest guest

Is he part of PETA or have I read Lynda's message wrongly?

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:41 PM

Re: PETA

i don't have the link to this guy at work tho Lynda Jun 7, 2005 9:49 AM PETA This question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Vir giniaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.LyndaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

who? the guy who runs the Center for Consumer Freedom has nuthin to do with PETA

his organization is a PR attack group that is in the forefront of the drive against any environmental movements, open space grass roots groups, anti-pesticde groups, etc Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 12:00 PM Re: PETA

Jo

-

fraggle

i don't have the link to this guy at work tho Lynda Jun 7, 2005 9:49 AM PETA This question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Vir giniaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.LyndaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

He is anti-PETA. He would appear to be the source of the young lady's information.

However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a "kill" shelter or not. If it is, then she won't send them anymore money and will donate her money locally. She "thought" they ran a "no-kill" shelter and wanted to support that.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:00 PM

Jo

-

fraggle

Guest guest

Ah - got it - thanks for explaining.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:45 PM

who? the guy who runs the Center for Consumer Freedom has nuthin to do with PETA

his organization is a PR attack group that is in the forefront of the drive against any environmental movements, open space grass roots groups, anti-pesticde groups, etc Jo Cwazy Jun 7, 2005 12:00 PM Re: PETA

Jo

-

fraggle

Guest guest

i can't seem to locate the link to the original story and rebuttal

funny...the date on the news story has dates in 2000, 2001, and 2002..same story..different dates...

anyways...

here's one thing from someone at PETA

take wot you will from it

Thank you for your inquiry about the Associated Press article on euthanasia and overpopulation. The article's figures are accurate, but, unfortunately, it does not even begin to address the complex issue of animal overpopulation or PETA's role in combatting it, particularly the fact that we have saved thousands of unwanted animals from being born and subsequently finding themselves at the mercy of an uncaring world. PETA fights companion animal abuse and overpopulation aggressively and in a variety of ways. Through our undercover investigations and grassroots campaigns, we work to seek justice through the courts and educate the public about overpopulation and how to fight it. If you saw the recent Dateline piece on national television you will have seen how we are trying to wake the public up to the role puppy mills and pet shops play in flooding communities with casually acquired, and then often carelessly discarded dogs and cats. (For more information on our puppy mill campaign, please go to: http://www.helppuppies.com/index2.html).

Our Community Animal Project (CAP) rescues homeless animals directly -- crawling through sewers, poking through junkyards, climbing trees, dodging cars, and arguing with landlords to coax terrified abandoned or neglected animals to safety. We go into the very worst of neighborhoods to deliver food, doghouses, and bedding to pit bulls who have never known a kind word or touch; dogs who--thinking we are bent on doing them harm as all the other humans in their lives have--come at us with snapping jaws to defend the tiny patch of muddy earth they call home. We find starved corpses, dying animals, what is left of cats who have been used as bait for fighting dogs. In winter we see the dogs shiver and try to curl into the tiniest balls to keep warm; in summer we see them with their tongues dragging, water bowls overturned, panting to try not to succumb to the heat. In floods and storms, we are out there at all hours of the night saving lives. We push to have owners of severely abused animals prosecuted and the animals removed, but if we can do nothing else, we try hard to at least make the animals as comfortable as we can and sterilize them so more puppies won't freeze out there in winter orburn alive in summer.

PETA takes in the animals nobody wants--the feral cat colonies descended from abandoned, unaltered house cats who are now thin and wild and often infected with deadly, ravaging diseases like Feline AIDS and leukemia. The stray dogs so disfigured by mange they are almost no longer recognizable as canines. The litters of parvo-infected puppies, wracked with diarrhea and vomiting--literally dehydrating to death. The backyard dogs who have known only chains, beatings, and neglect, and who have gone mad because of it. Some of the animals PETA takes in are eventually reunited with their families. We have caught and reunited some of the most elusive animals who other agencies have given up on. Some animals are fostered until homes can be found for them (PETA does not operate a shelter; we use veterinary boarding kennels and foster homes, including our own staffers' houses, and space is extremely limited). Other healthy and adoptable animals are taken directly to local shelters. Tragically, the only relief for the rest lies in oblivion.

Area shelters are overrun with animals, thousands of whom are euthanized for lack of good homes, despite the fact that most are young, healthy, and friendly. The "middle-aged" shepherd mix who literally climbs the walls trying to escape the presence of humans doesn't stand a chance--he will simply mark time cowering in his cage until his date with the needle. PETA opts to euthanize extremely sick or feral animals immediately, rather than subject them to the trauma of further transport and caging that will only, ultimately, end in death. We give them love and attention, food and soothing voices, and yes, a gentle death in our arms.

There is hope for abused animals, and it lies in prevention. We must persuade people to spay and neuter animals to stop the cycle of abuse. We must convince governments, like our own here in Norfolk--where we have already changed the ordinance once and are working to change it again--to accept responsibility instead of turning a blind eye to a problem that results in almost unimaginable animal suffering--not to mention taxpayer expense. PETA works very hard on this, educating the public about the need to spay and neuter through pamphlets, billboards, letters to the editor, ads, articles, and humane education in schools. We spay and neuter animals belonging to low-income families and the elderly poor for no charge whatsoever--we pay for every shot, surgery, blood and feces sample, and medication. Since January, 1999, PETA has sponsored more than 700 spay/neuter surgeries in the Tidewater area. But PETA and animal shelters can't do it alone. Everyone needs to do their part. Every one of us who cares about animals must work to help the animals in our communities. If a stray shows up on our doorstep, we mustn't tell ourselves that she has a home, or that "someone else" will take care of her. We must be that "someone else." Caring individuals must take homeless animals to shelters or, if they have the time, money, and space, spay them, vaccinate them, and foster them until loving, permanent homes can be found.

Each and every one of us can make a difference. If your neighbor's dog "keeps having puppies," offer to have her spayed. Write to your town councilperson and urge him or her to raise licensing fees for unaltered animals. Alert authorities if you witness an animal being abused or neglected. Boycott pet shops that sell puppies and kittens and adopt strays or shelter animals instead.

PETA can provide information, advice, educational materials, and assistance. For more information on our companion animal programs and literature, please go to: http://www.peta-online.org/cmp/ca.html. I hope this information is helpful and I hope you will continue to support PETA's vital campaigns. Thank you again for your inquiry and for all you do to help animals.

Sincerely,Alisa MullinsCorrespondent Lynda Jun 7, 2005 1:49 PM Re: PETA

He is anti-PETA. He would appear to be the source of the young lady's information.

However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a "kill" shelter or not. If it is, then she won't send them anymore money and will donate her money locally. She "thought" they ran a "no-kill" shelter and wanted to support that.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

fraggle

Guest guest

Hi Lynda

> However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a "kill" shelter or not. If it is, then she won't send them anymore

> money and will donate her money locally. She "thought" they ran a "no-kill" shelter and wanted to support

> that.

It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this. Having had dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is untrue - it seems so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it is possible that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of recovery, as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely because it is the best thing for the animal.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Thanks. She read and has decided to donate her money and time to the local no-kill shelter. She says she is going to "ruminate" on all the information.

Oh, and she said to tell folks about River Phoenix that his parents had a vegan restaurant and they brought him vegan meals on the sets that he worked on when he was first starting out.

She's a wealth of information <g>

Lynda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 2:16 PM

i can't seem to locate the link to the original story and rebuttal

funny...the date on the news story has dates in 2000, 2001, and 2002..same story..different dates...

anyways...

here's one thing from someone at PETA

take wot you will from it

Thank you for your inquiry about the Associated Press article on euthanasia and overpopulation. The article's figures are accurate, but, unfortunately, it does not even begin to address the complex issue of animal overpopulation or PETA's role in combatting it, particularly the fact that we have saved thousands of unwanted animals from being born and subsequently finding themselves at the mercy of an uncaring world. PETA fights companion animal abuse and overpopulation aggressively and in a variety of ways. Through our undercover investigations and grassroots campaigns, we work to seek justice through the courts and educate the public about overpopulation and how to fight it. If you saw the recent Dateline piece on national television you will have seen how we are trying to wake the public up to the role puppy mills and pet shops play in flooding communities with casually acquired, and then often carelessly discarded dogs and cat s. (For more information on our puppy mill campaign, please go to: http://www.helppuppies.com/index2.html).

Our Community Animal Project (CAP) rescues homeless animals directly -- crawling through sewers, poking through junkyards, climbing trees, dodging cars, and arguing with landlords to coax terrified abandoned or neglected animals to safety. We go into the very worst of neighborhoods to deliver food, doghouses, and bedding to pit bulls who have never known a kind word or touch; dogs who--thinking we are bent on doing them harm as all the other humans in their lives have--come at us with snapping jaws to defend the tiny patch of muddy earth they call home. We find starved corpses, dying animals, what is left of cats who have been used as bait for fighting dogs. In winter we see the dogs shiver and try to curl into the tiniest balls to keep warm; in summer we see them with their tongues dragging, water bowls overturned, panting to try not to succumb to the heat. In floods and storms, we are out there at all hours of the night saving lives. We push to have owners of severely abused animals prosecuted and the animals removed, but if we can do nothing else, we try hard to at least make the animals as comfortable as we can and sterilize them so more puppies won't freeze out there in winter orburn alive in summer.

PETA takes in the animals nobody wants--the feral cat colonies descended from abandoned, unaltered house cats who are now thin and wild and often infected with deadly, ravaging diseases like Feline AIDS and leukemia. The stray dogs so disfigured by mange they are almost no longer recognizable as canines. The litters of parvo-infected puppies, wracked with diarrhea and vomiting--literally dehydrating to death. The backyard dogs who have known only chains, beatings, and neglect, and who have gone mad because of it. Some of the animals PETA takes in are eventually reunited with their families. We have caught and reunited some of the most elusive animals who other agencies have given up on. Some animals are fostered until homes can be found for them (PETA does not operate a shelter; we use veterinary boarding kennels and foster homes, including our own staffers' houses, and space is extremely limited). Other healthy and adoptable ani mals are taken directly to local shelters. Tragically, the only relief for the rest lies in oblivion.

Area shelters are overrun with animals, thousands of whom are euthanized for lack of good homes, despite the fact that most are young, healthy, and friendly. The "middle-aged" shepherd mix who literally climbs the walls trying to escape the presence of humans doesn't stand a chance--he will simply mark time cowering in his cage until his date with the needle. PETA opts to euthanize extremely sick or feral animals immediately, rather than subject them to the trauma of further transport and caging that will only, ultimately, end in death. We give them love and attention, food and soothing voices, and yes, a gentle death in our arms.

There is hope for abused animals, and it lies in prevention. We must persuade people to spay and neuter animals to stop the cycle of abuse. We must convince governments, like our own here in Norfolk--where we have already changed the ordinance once and are working to change it again--to accept responsibility instead of turning a blind eye to a problem that results in almost unimaginable animal suffering--not to mention taxpayer expense. PETA works very hard on this, educating the public about the need to spay and neuter through pamphlets, billboards, letters to the editor, ads, articles, and humane education in schools. We spay and neuter animals belonging to low-income families and the elderly poor for no charge whatsoever--we pay for every shot, surgery, blood and feces sample, and medication. Since January, 1999, PETA has sponsored more than 700 spay/neuter surgeries in the Tidewater area. But PETA and animal shelters can't do it alone. Everyone needs to do their part. Every one of us who cares about animals must work to help the animals in our communities. If a stray shows up on our doorstep, we mustn't tell ourselves that she has a home, or that "someone else" will take care of her. We must be that "someone else." Caring individuals must take homeless animals to shelters or, if they have the time, money, and space, spay them, vaccinate them, and foster them until loving, permanent homes can be found.

Each and every one of us can make a difference. If your neighbor's dog "keeps having puppies," offer to have her spayed. Write to your town councilperson and urge him or her to raise licensing fees for unaltered animals. Alert authorities if you witness an animal being abused or neglected. Boycott pet shops that sell puppies and kittens and adopt strays or shelter animals instead.

PETA can provide information, advice, educational materials, and assistance. For more information on our companion animal programs and literature, please go to: http://www.peta-online.org/cmp/ca.html. I hope this information is helpful and I hope you will continue to support PETA's vital campaigns. Thank you again for your inquiry and for all you do to help animals.

Sincerely,Alisa MullinsCorrespondent Lynda Jun 7, 2005 1:49 PM Re: PETA

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Jo

-

fraggle

Guest guest

Lynda,

I think you will find the condition of the animals they are talking about is pretty severe like almost dead anyway

and beyond medical treatment.

it is really unfair I would question this no kill shelter and ask them if a dog came to them with open wounds missing a leg

and barely breathing would you let it die natural over the next several days or would you administer a lethal humane injection

I say this because the last dog I adopted about 5 months ago is riddled with cancer,

we have had a tumour remove and now the Lymph system is inflamed we are not ready to give up just yet BUT...

when he reaches a point of severe pain and has trouble eating

I will have to make a decision. if you ask me Humans should be able to do this to themselves too...

I think PETA is the best thing going right now as far as animal rights and the vegan movement

they are to Veganism & animal rights what Greenpeace has been to the environment

PETAThis question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Virginiaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.Lynda

Guest guest

Well, be that as it may, we are talking a child who just turned 13 and what she does with her allowance and money she makes selling books on the net. She does animal rescues and, I guess part of the problem is that we do rescues. We, as she puts it, bring them back from the dead. She is still at the idealistic age and things are frequently either black or white. She wants PETA to do what we do and she doesn't like the numbers.

Although they say they don't have a shelter, there is a lot of evidence that they do and she has been burning up the computer. She also called them and got the run around. that was the final straw for her.

So, she is going to continue doing animal rescue and is going to do volunteer work at the local shelter and spend her money buying them things they need.

We're unschoolers and have raised independent thinkers <g> What can I say.

Lynda

-

Craig Dearth

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 5:13 PM

RE: PETA

Lynda,

I think you will find the condition of the animals they are talking about is pretty severe like almost dead anyway

and beyond medical treatment.

it is really unfair I would question this no kill shelter and ask them if a dog came to them with open wounds missing a leg

and barely breathing would you let it die natural over the next several days or would you administer a lethal humane injection

I say this because the last dog I adopted about 5 months ago is riddled with cancer,

we have had a tumour remove and now the Lymph system is inflamed we are not ready to give up just yet BUT...

when he reaches a point of severe pain and has trouble eating

I will have to make a decision. if you ask me Humans should be able to do this to themselves too...

I think PETA is the best thing going right now as far as animal rights and the vegan movement

they are to Veganism & animal rights what Greenpeace has been to the environment

PETAThis question comes with a warning. Those you get all up in arms becauseone dares to question something, delete here.O.K., as you know, I think, I joined this list because the youngest kidletis working her way from vegetarian to vegan.She came to me all in tears last night because one of her friends lit intoher about being a vegan and sending money to PETA. The friend works at thelocal "no-kill" shelter and told her she was sending her money to people whorun a "kill" shelter and that if she really wanted to save animals sheshould send her money to folks that don't kill animals.Anyone know anything about that shelter they operate in Vermont or Virginiaor where ever the heck it is? Is it true that they euthenize almost (87%)all the animals brought to them? The only thing I can find is a letter withexcuses about most of the animals being brought to them being in need ofhumane euthenizing.HELP! I've got a really upset kidlet here.LyndaTo send an email to -

Guest guest

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

This is the most " trash " about peta I've read... I'm not sure how much is true

or

not.... but if Peta provides funding for local shelters in every state.... is

there

anything, anywhere saying they are funding only No-kill shelters???

I believe it is humane to euthanize pets that cannot have a certain quality of

life - but will Peta's supposed income of millions... I don't understand why the

their kill rate is so high according to these websites.....

Lauren

, " Peter " <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> Hi Lynda

>

> > However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a " kill " shelter or not.

If it is,

then she won't send them anymore

> > money and will donate her money locally. She " thought " they ran a

" no-kill " shelter and wanted to support

> > that.

>

> It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this. Having had

dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is untrue - it seems

so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it is possible

that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of recovery,

as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely because it is the

best thing for the animal.

>

> BB

> Peter

Guest guest

Hi Craig

> they are to Veganism & animal rights what Greenpeace has been to the

> environment

Perhaps not the best metaphor ever... PETA seem to give a little more

thought to their actions than Greenpeace, who have been known to do more

harm than good by not thinking through what will happen if they get their

way!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hiya Peter ,

I do so disagree

name another environmental group that is 30 years old

that has a list of accomplishments like GP that has global influence..

then look at animal rights groups and do the same

the name Green Peace would be Number 1 in Enviro matters right or wrong

Peta would be number 1 on animal rights issues..right or wrong

it is a perfect comparison or metaphor:

now on the other hand Lynda

it looks like that last part of my message wasn't sent:

I do not financially support PETA

I do financially support my local non kill shelter (Swan Animal Haven)

and the little money I could contribute to Peta wouldn't go far

when the money I give to the local non kill shelter goes a long way

all the best

Craig

Hi Craig> they are to Veganism & animal rights what Greenpeace has been to the> environmentPerhaps not the best metaphor ever... PETA seem to give a little morethought to their actions than Greenpeace, who have been known to do moreharm than good by not thinking through what will happen if they get theirway!BBPeter

Guest guest

this web site is rubbish

you can make numbers say anything you want

watch peaceable kingdom (with a box a tissues)

they battle this dilemma everyday

Craig

Re: PETAhttp://www.petakillsanimals.com/This is the most "trash" about peta I've read... I'm not sure how much is true or not.... but if Peta provides funding for local shelters in every state.... is there anything, anywhere saying they are funding only No-kill shelters???I believe it is humane to euthanize pets that cannot have a certain quality of life - but will Peta's supposed income of millions... I don't understand why the their kill rate is so high according to these websites.....Lauren , "Peter" <metalscarab@c...> wrote:> Hi Lynda> > > However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a "kill" shelter or not. If it is, then she won't send them anymore> > money and will donate her money locally. She "thought" they ran a "no-kill" shelter and wanted to support> > that.> > It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this. Having had dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is untrue - it seems so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it is possible that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of recovery, as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely because it is the best thing for the animal.> > BB> Peter

Guest guest

and it helps to look at who is behind this website:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/wiki.phtml?

title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedom

http://www.consumerdeception.com/

nancy

, " Craig Dearth " <cd39@e...> wrote:

> this web site is rubbish

>

> you can make numbers say anything you want

>

> watch peaceable kingdom (with a box a tissues)

>

> they battle this dilemma everyday

>

> Craig

>

>

>

> Re: PETA

>

>

> http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

>

> This is the most " trash " about peta I've read... I'm not sure how

much is

> true or

> not.... but if Peta provides funding for local shelters in every

state....

> is there

> anything, anywhere saying they are funding only No-kill shelters???

>

> I believe it is humane to euthanize pets that cannot have a

certain quality

> of

> life - but will Peta's supposed income of millions... I don't

understand why

> the

> their kill rate is so high according to these websites.....

>

> Lauren

>

> , " Peter " <metalscarab@c...>

wrote:

> > Hi Lynda

> >

> > > However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a " kill "

shelter or

> not. If it is,

> then she won't send them anymore

> > > money and will donate her money locally. She " thought " they

ran a

> " no-kill " shelter and wanted to support

> > > that.

> >

> > It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this.

Having

> had

> dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is

untrue - it

> seems

> so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it

is

> possible

> that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of

recovery,

> as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely

because it is

> the

> best thing for the animal.

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

Guest guest

thank you

thats the link i was looking for njdoane Jun 8, 2005 7:00 AM Re: PETA and it helps to look at who is behind this website:http://www.sourcewatch.org/wiki.phtml?title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedomhttp://www.consumerdeception.com/nancy--- In , "Craig Dearth" <cd39@e...> wrote:> this web site is rubbish> > you can make numbers say anything you want> > watch peaceable kingdom (with a box a tissues)> > they battle this dilemma everyday> > Craig> > > > Re: PETA> > > http://www.petakillsanimals.com/> > This is the most "trash" about peta I've read... I'm not sure how much is> true or> not.... but if Peta provides funding for local shelters in every state....> is there> anything, anywhere saying they are funding only No-kill shelters???> > I believe it is humane to euthanize pets that cannot have a certain quality> of> life - but will Peta's supposed income of millions... I don't understand why> the> their kill rate is so high according to these websites.....> > Lauren> > , "Peter" <metalscarab@c...> wrote:> > Hi Lynda> >> > > However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a "kill" shelter or> not. If it is,> then she won't send them anymore> > > money and will donate her money locally. She "thought" they ran a> "no-kill" shelter and wanted to support> > > that.> >> > It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this. Having> had> dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is untrue - it> seems> so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it is> possible> that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of recovery,> as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely because it is> the> best thing for the animal.> >> > BB> > PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Lauren

I feel that PETA is a good group, and find it hard to believe that they

would have animals put down unless it was necessary. There are always

plenty of websites anti-anything you can think of, so I think I will take no

notice of the 'gossip'.

Jo

-

" nhrattery " <nhrattery

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:19 AM

> http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

>

> This is the most " trash " about peta I've read... I'm not sure how much is

true or

> not.... but if Peta provides funding for local shelters in every state....

is there

> anything, anywhere saying they are funding only No-kill shelters???

>

> I believe it is humane to euthanize pets that cannot have a certain

quality of

> life - but will Peta's supposed income of millions... I don't understand

why the

> their kill rate is so high according to these websites.....

>

> Lauren

>

> , " Peter " <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> > Hi Lynda

> >

> > > However, I am still trying to find out IF they run a " kill " shelter or

not. If it is,

> then she won't send them anymore

> > > money and will donate her money locally. She " thought " they ran a

> " no-kill " shelter and wanted to support

> > > that.

> >

> > It would be interesting to find out the whole truth behind this. Having

had

> dealings with a number of people in PETA, I suspect that it is untrue - it

seems

> so completely alien to everything that they stand for. However, it is

possible

> that they put down animals who are suffering and have no hope of recovery,

> as many of us have had to do in the past with pets - purely because it is

the

> best thing for the animal.

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Craig

> name another environmental group that is 30 years old

> that has a list of accomplishments like GP that has global influence..

> then look at animal rights groups and do the same

Friends of The Earth to name but one - and as far as I know, they haven't yet done anything to actively harm the environment, which Green Peace most certainly have in a very poorly thought out action, which resulted in the release of large amounts of asbestos into the atmosphere - they even persisted with the action for 6 months after they had been told this, finally got their way, and caused environmental damage on an impressive scale.

It's all very weel having high ideals, but if you just go ahead with action without thinking of the consequences, then it's a pretty poor organisation.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Wasn't there also some problem with an oil rig, when they were campaigning for its disposal. I can't remember any details, except that the general concensus of opinion was that they were wrong.

Jo

-

Peter

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:43 PM

Hi Craig

> name another environmental group that is 30 years old

> that has a list of accomplishments like GP that has global influence..

> then look at animal rights groups and do the same

Friends of The Earth to name but one - and as far as I know, they haven't yet done anything to actively harm the environment, which Green Peace most certainly have in a very poorly thought out action, which resulted in the release of large amounts of asbestos into the atmosphere - they even persisted with the action for 6 months after they had been told this, finally got their way, and caused environmental damage on an impressive scale.

It's all very weel having high ideals, but if you just go ahead with action without thinking of the consequences, then it's a pretty poor organisation.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

> Wasn't there also some problem with an oil rig, when they were campaigning for its disposal. I can't remember any details,

> except that the general concensus of opinion was that they were wrong.

That's the one - the oil rig was falling apart, and the oil company wanted to encase it in concrete and sink it to the bottom of the sea - Green Peace thought that was a bad idea, so tied themselves to it, fought it in courts, general protest - and eventually the oil company gave in and had it broken up, releasing a whole load of toxic material (including asbestos) into the air and sea, and I gather killing quite a lot of marine and bird life in the area. Which is exactly what I mean about not thinking about what they wanted to achieve - instead of having a positive protest, they just said that they didn't want something, gave no better alternative and ended up doing a lot of harm.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

There was another thing that annoyed me about them too. About 8 or 10 of them went on the roof of John Prescott's house to protest about something political. While this may seem okay at first thought - John Prescott was not at home - just his wife. Now if I was at home and just one unknown man was climbing on my roof I would be frightened. It must have been terrifying for her. I think that this protest was ill-thought out, and not fair on Mrs Prescott.

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:53 PM

> Wasn't there also some problem with an oil rig, when they were campaigning for its disposal. I can't remember any details,

That's the one - the oil rig was falling apart, and the oil company wanted to encase it in concrete and sink it to the bottom of the sea - Green Peace thought that was a bad idea, so tied themselves to it, fought it in courts, general protest - and eventually the oil company gave in and had it broken up, releasing a whole load of toxic material (including asbestos) into the air and sea, and I gather killing quite a lot of marine and bird life in the area. Which is exactly what I mean about not thinking about what they wanted to achieve - instead of having a positive protest, they just said that they didn't want something, gave no better alternative and ended up doing a lot of harm.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Wasnt that the Greenpeace action where they decided to install a free solar panel on his roof for him. Couldnt figure that one out. If it was them, Perhaps Craig could explain?

The Valley Vegan.......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

There was another thing that annoyed me about them too. About 8 or 10 of them went on the roof of John Prescott's house to protest about something political. While this may seem okay at first thought - John Prescott was not at home - just his wife. Now if I was at home and just one unknown man was climbing on my roof I would be frightened. It must have been terrifying for her. I think that this protest was ill-thought out, and not fair on Mrs Prescott.

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:53 PM

BB

PeterTo send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos