IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

sure

as long as they get the appropriate amino acids..

there are a couple complete vegan cat foods on the market

you just have to watch the kitties...watch their health

alas..my child is far to advanced in his age and ways...vegan cat food just sat in the bowl..and he would YOWL

ah well Susan Spain Sep 30, 2004 1:12 PM Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no? Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!To send an email to -

Guest guest

Yes - Veggiekat and Veggiekitten.

Jo

Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

> Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!

Guest guest

Fraggle's cat(s) wouldn't eat it. Do you have cats, and do they like this stuff, and have they remained energetic and happy with shiny coats and no eye problems?Jo bb <Heartwork wrote:

Yes - Veggiekat and Veggiekitten.Jo Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?> Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!To send an email to -

vote. - Register online to vote today!

Guest guest

I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to do the same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I would want the same for my pet.

rashaanJo bb <Heartwork wrote:

Yes - Veggiekat and Veggiekitten.Jo Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?> Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!To send an email to -

Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

Guest guest

Interesting... So I wonder: if cats were given vegan food side-by-side with meat-based food, would some choose to be vegan? I mean, pick that food over the meat-based stuff? Or would their instincts drive them to eat the meat, there being no "moral" choice to the killing from the perspective of the cat...rashaan laurent <rnlaurent wrote:

I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to do the same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I would want the same for my pet.

Mail is new and improved - Check it out! To send an email to -

Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.

Guest guest

, rashaan laurent <rnlaurent>

wrote:

> I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to do the

same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I

would want the same for my pet.

But you make other choices for them!

like their name, when/whether to vaccinate, if they are

indoor/outdoor etc.

Why not give it a try.

my cats are vegan, and are thriving.

It has been studied that vegan cats live far longer lives than pets

who eat the stuff that is in those cans. Not to mention that you

wouldn't be supporting the Meat industries.

it's not natural for a cat to eat cows or lambs. In nature they would

never do so.

At first, my cats didn't like it, but It's a gradual process, you mix

it in little by little with their meat food until they get accustomed

to it. Now they love it, and one of them is cured of cancer. (no

longer has a tumor he used to have).

I used to wake up in the morning feeling grossed out and disgusted

when I opened a can for them, now my kitchen doesn't smell.

check out this link, for tons of pictures of cats from all over the

world who are vegan with glossy coats.

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1422707

also check out www.vegancats.com if you want to order, however there

is such a demand that most of the time they are out of stock.

-anouk

Guest guest

My father is a veterinarian and he feeds his animals Science Diet and they have a way of living a really long time. So Science Diet is what I feed my cats. I'm too chicken to feed them vegan food for fear it would shorten their life span.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

9/30/2004 2:25:06 PM

Re: Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

sure

alas..my child is far to advanced in his age and ways...vegan cat food just sat in the bowl..and he would YOWL

ah well Susan Spain Sep 30, 2004 1:12 PM Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no? Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!To send an email to -

Guest guest

hills science diet(owned by colgate) tests on animals.... Anna Blaine Sep 30, 2004 8:21 PM Re: Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

My father is a veterinarian and he feeds his animals Science Diet and they have a way of living a really long time. So Science Diet is what I feed my cats. I'm too chicken to feed them vegan food for fear it would shorten their life span.

Love,

Anna

-

fraggle

9/30/2004 2:25:06 PM

Re: Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

sure

Guest guest

I like your viewpoint susan...it should be the animals choice. Susan Spain <susanspain2004 wrote:

Interesting... So I wonder: if cats were given vegan food side-by-side with meat-based food, would some choose to be vegan? I mean, pick that food over the meat-based stuff? Or would their instincts drive them to eat the meat, there being no "moral" choice to the killing from the perspective of the cat...rashaan laurent <rnlaurent wrote:

Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now. To send an email to -

Guest guest

Anouk,

Yes you are totally right we do take care of our pets by taking them to the Vet and yes we do name them but this is because we love them. The same way that your parents cared and loved for you. However, as you grow you were giving choices and those choice have made you the person you are today. All I am saying is giving your pets the choice to eat meat or not eat meat. Were we not giving choices too.

Note: The only way I would force my pet into not eating meat would be for health reasons.

Anouk, am glad your kitty is doing better and I thank you for your wonderful information on the topic. I can see you did your research before you decided to change their diets.

PS: Unfortunately I live with and love a omnivore, so I guess indirectly I am still supporting the meat industry. However, he now only buys range free. He is making baby steps in the right direction I think but I am still hope for a Vegan so day.

Rashaan

Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

, rashaan laurent <rnlaurent> wrote:> I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to do the same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I would want the same for my pet. But you make other choices for them! like their name, when/whether to vaccinate, if they are indoor/outdoor etc. Why not give it a try. my cats are vegan, and are thriving. It has been studied that vegan cats live far longer lives than pets who eat the stuff that is in those cans. Not to mention that you wouldn't be supporting the Meat industries. it's not natural for a cat to eat cows or lambs. In nature they would never do so. At first, my cats didn't like it, but It's a gradual process, you mix it in little by little with their

meat food until they get accustomed to it. Now they love it, and one of them is cured of cancer. (no longer has a tumor he used to have).I used to wake up in the morning feeling grossed out and disgusted when I opened a can for them, now my kitchen doesn't smell. check out this link, for tons of pictures of cats from all over the world who are vegan with glossy coats. http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1422707also check out www.vegancats.com if you want to order, however there is such a demand that most of the time they are out of stock. -anoukTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

we have had this debate here before

Dogs and cat in our care ARE not wild animals so there choices of food is ours not theirs

compassion is our choice we just share that with them

my two dogs are healthy happy and FIT (too fit sometimes)

energy plus etc..

so I would recommend a Vegan diet for them

if you like I will forward what I feed my dogs to you

it is a bit of work at first but worth it in the end

all the best

Craig

I like your viewpoint susan...it should be the animals choice. Susan Spain <susanspain2004 wrote:

To send an email to -

Guest guest

What a good point you've made, that they wouldn't eat lambs or cows!Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

, rashaan laurent <rnlaurent> wrote:> I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to do the same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I would want the same for my pet. But you make other choices for them! like their name, when/whether to vaccinate, if they are indoor/outdoor etc. Why not give it a try. my cats are vegan, and are thriving. It has been studied that vegan cats live far longer lives than pets who eat the stuff that is in those cans. Not to mention that you wouldn't be supporting the Meat industries. it's not natural for a cat to eat cows or lambs. In nature they would never do so. At first, my cats didn't like it, but It's a gradual process, you mix it in little by little with their

meat food until they get accustomed to it. Now they love it, and one of them is cured of cancer. (no longer has a tumor he used to have).I used to wake up in the morning feeling grossed out and disgusted when I opened a can for them, now my kitchen doesn't smell. check out this link, for tons of pictures of cats from all over the world who are vegan with glossy coats. http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=1422707also check out www.vegancats.com if you want to order, however there is such a demand that most of the time they are out of stock. -anoukTo send an email to -

Guest guest

As I have said before on this topic, I will not force my beliefs on anyone or any other species. I know dogs are basically omnivores, but cats are another matter and need Taurine in their diet. I know that there are vegan cat foods with manufactured Taurine in them, but I am not convinced that the animals like them that much, or that they should be forced to change their natural diet just because of my belief system.

Feline fine,

The Valley Vegan...

P.S. The three week kitten`s doin fine, shame the other two "dissapeared", but now that the mother has brought it to my house ( they are living in my garage at present ), I shall make sure that they are only disturbed for food until the mother re-locates or decides to adopt us!. Once the kitten is old enough to stand on its own four paws, then I will have to make a few more decisions....Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

Dogs and cat in our care ARE not wild animals so there choices of food is ours not theirs

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

To send an email to - To send an email to - Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

Guest guest

Hi Peter

As has been pointed out - cats would not normally eat cows, lambs, rabbits, fish and chickens, which is what is usually fed to them from tins. By my experience of rescuing small animals from my neighbours cats, they would normally eat small birds, mice, voles, frogs, toads, worms and beetles, and the odd spider. The squirrels and bigger birds do not seem to have much trouble fending off cats. So - maybe, if the cat is to have a 'natural' diet, tinned cat foods should contain beetles and worms etc. preferably uncooked! Another point is that if people use Iams food there are serious issues with the company over their testing on dogs, cats etc.

BBJo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, October 02, 2004 2:24 PM

RE: Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

As I have said before on this topic, I will not force my beliefs on anyone or any other species. I know dogs are basically omnivores, but cats are another matter and need Taurine in their diet. I know that there are vegan cat foods with manufactured Taurine in them, but I am not convinced that the animals like them that much, or that they should be forced to change their natural diet just because of my belief system.

Feline fine,

The Valley Vegan...

P.S. The three week kitten`s doin fine, shame the other two "dissapeared", but now that the mother has brought it to my house ( they are living in my garage at present ), I shall make sure that they are only disturbed for food until the mother re-locates or decides to adopt us!. Once the kitten is old enough to stand on its own four paws, then I will have to make a few more decisions....Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

To send an email to - To send an email to -

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

Guest guest

Craig,

You point is pointless..."Dogs and cats in our care ARE not wild animals so there choices of food is ours not theirs." Come on Craig...I have two pets one is a Rabbit and the other is a Guinea pig and both are Vegans by nature. I would NEVER thinking of feeding them something that their don't eat. I like Meat. It's something to think about.

rashaan Craig Dearth <cd39 wrote:

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

Guest guest

thanks for the information...I must say I again with you.

rashaanpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Feline fine,

The Valley Vegan...

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

Peter H

ALL-NEW Messenger - all new features - even more fun! To send an email to -

Guest guest

I'd be interested in this too.

Craig Dearth [cd39]

[vc] ... so I would recommend a Vegan diet for them

all the best

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release 27/08/2004

Guest guest

Rashaan,

You chat with vegans yet you act like an omnivore or non Vegan.

if you are keeping Rabbits and guinea pigs and they were not rescued animals,

then I would say you do not understand what it is to be Vegan. (if they are rescued then hats off to you)

Compassion compassion compassion ..we rescued both our dogs from the dog pound.

if ... all breeders stopped breeding dogs and cats tomorrow

and there were no strays then I would never keep a dog or cat.

we do some rescue work with wild animals in our area the main goal is to rehabilitate not to captivate.

our dogs are victims of this world and mans intervention they would not be here if it wasn't for us.

so to justify additional Killing in order to feed them goes against everything Vegan.

I am a Vegan for Ethical reasons first and foremost

I am Vegan for Environmental & Health reasons second.

what I .. eat, wear, buy , clean with, fertilize my garden with,

everything I do must reflect that no animal will be harmed to produce that product.

Getting back to the "pointless point"

racism runs deep in the Human to animal world, kill this animal save that one, kill this colony protect that one.

fill in the names or species it is all the same no matter where you look.

I can provide a better meal with more of what my dogs need by feeding them the vegan diet I prepare for them

than any commercial product on the market. and in doing so not harm any other animals.

that to me my friend is the heart of being a Vegan,

not just picking and choosing which animal will live and which will die.. Meat is Murder simple and True.

now all that aside I live in Perth Western Australia, our dogs are in the Bush 5 times a week or more

Kangaroos here are treated like Vermin (the battle rages) and often they get shot and left to die.

when my dogs come across old bones and want to chew them (as long as it doesn't stink) I let them

Anna Lise is a border collie cross about 6 years old now. she has been Vegan now for almost 4 years and

without a doubt the most alert, fit and healthy dog I have ever known, her teeth are always clean

no bad breath or body odour and a shinny healthy coat, she doesn't pick up the bones anymore.

our other dog Romeo has been a Vegan since Jan. this year he was rescued from the pound in sad shape

his rear hips looked as if he had not exercised in a year or more his fur was falling out he had 3 boils

dirty teeth bad breath an odour that was foul he was farting (lol) like an old man.

now 8 months later his coat is shinny, no bad breath, no body odour, only 1 of the boils is still there and it has shrunk from the size of an apricot to the size of a pea, his rear hips look normal and he rarely farts (lol).

Now all of that is something to think about

all the best

Craig

Craig,

You point is pointless..."Dogs and cats in our care ARE not wild animals so there choices of food is ours not theirs." Come on Craig...I have two pets one is a Rabbit and the other is a Guinea pig and both are Vegans by nature. I would NEVER thinking of feeding them something that their don't eat. I like Meat. It's something to think about.

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Craig

I agree with feeding cats and dogs vegan meals, but cannot speak from experience as I have neither. I found the point about your dog not eating the bones now very interesting.

Jo

-

Craig Dearth

Saturday, October 02, 2004 8:17 PM

Rashaan,

then I would say you do not understand what it is to be Vegan. (if they are rescued then hats off to you)

we do some rescue work with wild animals in our area the main goal is to rehabilitate not to captivate.

our dogs are victims of this world and mans intervention they would not be here if it wasn't for us.

so to justify additional Killing in order to feed them goes against everything Vegan.

everything I do must reflect that no animal will be harmed to produce that product.

racism runs deep in the Human to animal world, kill this animal save that one, kill this colony protect that one.

I can provide a better meal with more of what my dogs need by feeding them the vegan diet I prepare for them

than any commercial product on the market. and in doing so not harm any other animals.

not just picking and choosing which animal will live and which will die.. Meat is Murder simple and True.

now all that aside I live in Perth Western Australia, our dogs are in the Bush 5 times a week or more

Kangaroos here are treated like Vermin (the battle rages) and often they get shot and left to die.

when my dogs come across old bones and want to chew them (as long as it doesn't stink) I let them

Anna Lise is a border collie cross about 6 years old now. she has been Vegan now for almost 4 years and

without a doubt the most alert, fit and healthy dog I have ever known, her teeth are always clean

no bad breath or body odour and a shinny healthy coat, she doesn't pick up the bones anymore.

our other dog Romeo has been a Vegan since Jan. this year he was rescued from the pound in sad shape

his rear hips looked as if he had not exercised in a year or more his fur was falling out he had 3 boils

dirty teeth bad breath an odour that was foul he was farting (lol) like an old man.

now 8 months later his coat is shinny, no bad breath, no body odour, only 1 of the boils is still there and it has shrunk from the size of an apricot to the size of a pea, his rear hips look normal and he rarely farts (lol).

all the best

Craig

Craig,

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

Guest guest

Hiya Jo,

yes we both have noticed it on separate occasions she goes tot he bones has a sniff then on her way.

4 years ago she would have hoed in. the male still picks them up.

Craig

Jo bb [Heartwork]Sunday, October 03, 2004 3:31 AM Subject: Re: Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or no?

Hi Craig

I agree with feeding cats and dogs vegan meals, but cannot speak from experience as I have neither. I found the point about your dog not eating the bones now very interesting.

Jo

-

Craig Dearth

Saturday, October 02, 2004 8:17 PM

Rashaan,

all the best

Craig

Craig,

Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

energy plus etc..

all the best

Craig

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -

Guest guest

I agree with craig,

let's supposed that there is no moral issue here, just a health one,

I would still feed my cats a vegan diet, you know why?

because I have never seen them so healthy.

I honestly did not think I was " caring " for my cats when I feed them

the crap that they put in those cans. I was born a vegetarian and I

am sooooo grateful that my parent made that choice for me. I later as

an adult made my own choice to be vegan.

I don't care what brand it is, or how expensive it is, If it's not

meant for human consumption, It ain't going into my cat.

I forgo the pet food aisle and if I forget to order vegan cat food,

I buy them Salmon meant for humans, however I thinks salmons deserve

to live and so I try not to do that.

The reason cats in nature eat meat, it's because they are Hunting for

survival. Just like we would just about eat anything,if we were in

the middle of wilderness.

Another reason is that they actually like it. They eat it just the

same as when I would feed them meat. Their breath is fresher, their

poop smells less and they genuanly seem content.

But if you only feed them meat, then the opposite is true. You are

not giving them a choice.

like fraggle said, his old man/ old lady, sorry can't remember which,

just said no to vegan food. You know how cats are can't make them do

anything, they don't want to. In that sense, If I knew that they

werent happy with vegan food, I would never force it, nobody is

forcing anything, they just like it.

The actual ingredients that go into those meat cans are horrible,

stuff from downed cows, and all the other stuff full of hormones that

are rejected for human consumption. I am convinced that ten years of

meat products is what actually gave my cat cancer in the first place.

by the way, it is actually legal to use road kill as meat in those

pet food cans.

-anouk

, " Craig Dearth " <cd39@e...> wrote:

>

> Rashaan,

>

> You chat with vegans yet you act like an omnivore or non Vegan.

> if you are keeping Rabbits and guinea pigs and they were not rescued

> animals,

> then I would say you do not understand what it is to be Vegan. (if

they are

> rescued then hats off to you)

> Compassion compassion compassion ..we rescued both our dogs from

the dog

> pound.

> if ... all breeders stopped breeding dogs and cats tomorrow

> and there were no strays then I would never keep a dog or cat.

> we do some rescue work with wild animals in our area the main goal

is to

> rehabilitate not to captivate.

> our dogs are victims of this world and mans intervention they would

not be

> here if it wasn't for us.

> so to justify additional Killing in order to feed them goes against

> everything Vegan.

> I am a Vegan for Ethical reasons first and foremost

> I am Vegan for Environmental & Health reasons second.

> what I .. eat, wear, buy , clean with, fertilize my garden with,

> everything I do must reflect that no animal will be harmed to

produce that

> product.

> Getting back to the " pointless point "

> racism runs deep in the Human to animal world, kill this animal

save that

> one, kill this colony protect that one.

> fill in the names or species it is all the same no matter where you

look.

> I can provide a better meal with more of what my dogs need by

feeding

> them the vegan diet I prepare for them

> than any commercial product on the market. and in doing so not harm

any

> other animals.

> that to me my friend is the heart of being a Vegan,

> not just picking and choosing which animal will live and which will

die..

> Meat is Murder simple and True.

> now all that aside I live in Perth Western Australia, our dogs

are in

> the Bush 5 times a week or more

> Kangaroos here are treated like Vermin (the battle rages) and often

they get

> shot and left to die.

> when my dogs come across old bones and want to chew them (as long

as it

> doesn't stink) I let them

> Anna Lise is a border collie cross about 6 years old now. she

has been

> Vegan now for almost 4 years and

> without a doubt the most alert, fit and healthy dog I have ever

known, her

> teeth are always clean

> no bad breath or body odour and a shinny healthy coat, she doesn't

pick up

> the bones anymore.

> our other dog Romeo has been a Vegan since Jan. this year he

was rescued

> from the pound in sad shape

> his rear hips looked as if he had not exercised in a year or more

his fur

> was falling out he had 3 boils

> dirty teeth bad breath an odour that was foul he was farting (lol)

like an

> old man.

> now 8 months later his coat is shinny, no bad breath, no body

odour,

> only 1 of the boils is still there and it has shrunk from the size

of an

> apricot to the size of a pea, his rear hips look normal and he

rarely farts

> (lol).

> Now all of that is something to think about

> all the best

> Craig

>

>

>

>

>

> Craig,

>

> You point is pointless... " Dogs and cats in our care ARE not wild

animals so

> there choices of food is ours not theirs. " Come on Craig...I have

two pets

> one is a Rabbit and the other is a Guinea pig and both are Vegans

by nature.

> I would NEVER thinking of feeding them something that their don't

eat. I

> like Meat. It's something to think about.

>

> rashaan

>

> Craig Dearth <cd39@e...> wrote:

> Hiya Susan and Rashaan,

> we have had this debate here before

> Dogs and cat in our care ARE not wild animals so there choices of

food is

> ours not theirs

> compassion is our choice we just share that with them

> my two dogs are healthy happy and FIT (too fit sometimes)

> energy plus etc..

> so I would recommend a Vegan diet for them

> if you like I will forward what I feed my dogs to you

> it is a bit of work at first but worth it in the end

> all the best

> Craig

>

> I like your viewpoint susan...it should be the animals choice.

>

> Susan Spain <susanspain2004> wrote:

> Interesting... So I wonder: if cats were given vegan food side-

by-side

> with meat-based food, would some choose to be vegan? I mean, pick

that food

> over the meat-based stuff? Or would their instincts drive them to

eat the

> meat, there being no " moral " choice to the killing from the

perspective of

> the cat...

>

> rashaan laurent <rnlaurent> wrote:

> I am vegan but I don't know if I would want my cat or dog to

do the

> same. The same way it was my choice not to eat animal product...I

would want

> the same for my pet.

>

> rashaan

>

> Jo bb <Heartwork@b...> wrote:

> Yes - Veggiekat and Veggiekitten.

>

> Jo

>

>

> Topic for debate: vegan cats: yes or

no?

>

>

> > Anyone's two cents welcome on this discussion!

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to

> -

>

>

>

>

>

> --

------

>

> Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

> --

--------

>

> Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

>

> --

--------

> --

>

>