IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Jill and Suzie, religion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I understand if you don't want to answer, but I was wondering what your religions are.

I don't consider myself Christian, I actually attend Unitarian church, but I do consider myself a follower of Christ, if that's not too confusing (you know how we Unitarians are), and my concept of Christ and god does influence my pro life position.

On another note, although I am pro life, I am very liberal. And I tire of these people who are pro life yet they could care less what happens when the babies are out there. It seems alot of the loudest right pro lifers are also for cutting funding to crucial programs and things like that. I think pro life holds a responsibility, pro all life, and being for taking care of those lives as a society, or village, when things get difficult for them.

:)No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back. -Turkish proverbFact: Each gallon of gas used by a car contributes almost 20 pounds of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A single car driving 1,000 miles a month adds up to 120 tons of CO2 annually. Fact: One crop of hemp grown on one acre of land produces the same amount of pulpable fiber as one acre of 20 year old trees.

Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard

Guest guest

Surya,

I was raised Christian, but became disenchanted by the " preaching " through

words instead of through behavior, you know do as I say, not as I do.

Although, I do have a Christian friend who is now very much showing her

beliefs through her actions rather than words and find that very cool. And

hearing people say they were " Good Christians " really turned me off. That

didn't fit in to how I saw Christianity nor how I wanted to be seen. I felt

it sounded judgmental.

The reason I said my religion is irrelevant, in case that's what you are

referring to is that I am working with my clients and their life. My

beliefs may guide me to be understanding, accepting, supportive, etc., but

under no circumstance would I cross the boundary of using my religious

beliefs in working with a client. And believe me, I work with people dying

all of the time, and what they need is support. Sometimes that means

supporting beliefs that I may not find supportive to myself. So, my

specific beliefs are irrelevant, my behavior is what is important. I do by

the way, work in a religious organization that has managed to be inclusive

to all beliefs, but I know if my supervisor heard us talking about our own

beliefs, we would be reprimanded.

I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Jill

>Surya Burdick <californiagnomes

>

>

> Jill and Suzie, religion

>Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:19:17 -0800 (PST)

>

>I understand if you don't want to answer, but I was wondering what your

>religions are.

>I don't consider myself Christian, I actually attend Unitarian church, but

>I do consider myself a follower of Christ, if that's not too confusing (you

>know how we Unitarians are), and my concept of Christ and god does

>influence my pro life position.

>On another note, although I am pro life, I am very liberal. And I tire of

>these people who are pro life yet they could care less what happens when

>the babies are out there. It seems alot of the loudest right pro lifers are

>also for cutting funding to crucial programs and things like that. I think

>pro life holds a responsibility, pro all life, and being for taking care of

>those lives as a society, or village, when things get difficult for them.

>:)

>

>

>No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back.

>

>-Turkish proverb

>

>

>Fact: Each gallon of gas used by a car contributes almost 20 pounds of

>carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A single car driving 1,000 miles a month

>adds up to 120 tons of CO2 annually.

>

>Fact: One crop of hemp grown on one acre of land produces the same amount

>of pulpable fiber as one acre of 20 year old trees.

>

>

>

>Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...

http://shopping.msn.com

Guest guest

Hi

I'm Pagan with a fair dose of New Age. My beliefs have mostly been the same before I knew I had any 'religion' at all - so I would normally call them ethics I suppose.

BBJo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 23/10/03

Guest guest

In a landar far away I was born Roman Catholic but quickly gave that

up at an early age when I saw how the herd treated sheep that were

different.

Flew to Born-Again around 17 and strayed away due to the unrealism of

again how these religions treat others. (Or that I have personally

seen/experienced)

Have come home to Paganism and studying Correlian Wiccan. Like

touches of Buddism and other peaceful religions.

Founder and sole member of " The Lost Group " . There may be other

members/groups out there but each group is an isle of their own.

nikki :)

*always searching, finally comfortable*

, Surya Burdick

<californiagnomes> wrote:

> I understand if you don't want to answer, but I was wondering what

your religions are.

> I don't consider myself Christian, I actually attend Unitarian

church, but I do consider myself a follower of Christ, if that's not

too confusing (you know how we Unitarians are), and my concept of

Christ and god does influence my pro life position.

> On another note, although I am pro life, I am very liberal. And I

tire of these people who are pro life yet they could care less what

happens when the babies are out there. It seems alot of the loudest

right pro lifers are also for cutting funding to crucial programs and

things like that. I think pro life holds a responsibility, pro all

life, and being for taking care of those lives as a society, or

village, when things get difficult for them.

> :)

>

>

> No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back.

>

> -Turkish proverb

>

>

> Fact: Each gallon of gas used by a car contributes almost 20 pounds

of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A single car driving 1,000 miles

a month adds up to 120 tons of CO2 annually.

>

> Fact: One crop of hemp grown on one acre of land produces the same

amount of pulpable fiber as one acre of 20 year old trees.

>

>

>

> Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard

Guest guest

Jo and Nikki, can I just ask, as pagans, how you go about practicing?

Paganism is something I've been interested in, but what I've found I just haven't been entirely comfortable with. These days I'm very close to committing myself to a Zen Buddhist path.

Lee

Heartwork [Heartwork]05 November 2003 23:47 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi

I'm Pagan with a fair dose of New Age. My beliefs have mostly been the same before I knew I had any 'religion' at all - so I would normally call them ethics I suppose.

BBJo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 23/10/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Lee

As a Pagan I celebrate the Sabbats - eight a year. Usually we join others for a large ritual run by Druids - but there are others. We celebrate as a family much as a Christian family would celebrate, say Easter. If you do not know of local groups you can celebrate your Paganism as a solitary in your own way, whether it is through ritual or celebratory cakes etc. I personally have a small table (altar) in my sitting room and a large yew root with a smiling face carved into it in the hall, and I decorate these according to the season.

I am also partly New Age and interested also in Oriental spirituality and Buddhism, so I do tend to incorporate these ideas into my own personal spirituality.

If you are interested in getting more involved in Paganism, or meeting others to find out if it is right for you, you can go to the Pagan Federation site for a list of local moots (pub meetings - Pagans like to celebrate!) or local groups. These lists can also be found in the magazine Pagan Dawn.

If you want to know anything specific please ask - either Catherine, Nikki, Peter or I would most likely be able to help.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thursday, November 06, 2003 12:01 PM

RE: Jill and Suzie, religion

Paganism is something I've been interested in, but what I've found I just haven't been entirely comfortable with. These days I'm very close to committing myself to a Zen Buddhist path.

Lee

Heartwork [Heartwork]05 November 2003 23:47 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi

BBJo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 23/10/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Thanks for that Jo.

I think I'm uncomfortable with the ritualistic aspects of paganism to be honest. In fact thats true of all religions. I think thats why I'm drawn to Zen more than anything else right now. But then again I do repeatedly isolate myself in certain situations and maybe following a spiritual path that is very individualistic is a further repetition of that tendency.

You've given me food for thought anyway

Thanks

Lee

Heartwork [Heartwork]06 November 2003 12:28 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

As a Pagan I celebrate the Sabbats - eight a year. Usually we join others for a large ritual run by Druids - but there are others. We celebrate as a family much as a Christian family would celebrate, say Easter. If you do not know of local groups you can celebrate your Paganism as a solitary in your own way, whether it is through ritual or celebratory cakes etc. I personally have a small table (altar) in my sitting room and a large yew root with a smiling face carved into it in the hall, and I decorate these according to the season.

I am also partly New Age and interested also in Oriental spirituality and Buddhism, so I do tend to incorporate these ideas into my own personal spirituality.

If you are interested in getting more involved in Paganism, or meeting others to find out if it is right for you, you can go to the Pagan Federation site for a list of local moots (pub meetings - Pagans like to celebrate!) or local groups. These lists can also be found in the magazine Pagan Dawn.

If you want to know anything specific please ask - either Catherine, Nikki, Peter or I would most likely be able to help.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

have joked in the past about me hugging trees naked..........

nuthin wrong with huggin a tree naked

tho..you do have to worry about the bark sometines...

:)

Guest guest

hi all

i am a pagan...........i follow the wheel of the year............celebrate nature.............i also feel ecletic at times......bit of buddhism, existentialism...........

have joked in the past about me hugging trees naked...........

and being in the sea, in the right place feels spiritual.............

catherine

>"nikki_mackovitch"

> > > Re: Jill and Suzie, religion >Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:41:24 -0000 > >In a landar far away I was born Roman Catholic but quickly gave that >up at an early age when I saw how the herd treated sheep that were >different. > >Flew to Born-Again around 17 and strayed away due to the unrealism of >again how these religions treat others. (Or that I have personally >seen/experienced) > >Have come home to Paganism and studying Correlian Wiccan. Like >touches of Buddism and other peaceful religions. > >Founder and sole member of "The Lost Group". There may be other >members/groups out there but each group is an isle of their own. > >nikki :) >*always searching, finally comfortable* > > > , Surya Burdick > wrote: > > I understand if you don't want to answer, but I was wondering what >your religions are. > > I don't consider myself Christian, I actually attend Unitarian >church, but I do consider myself a follower of Christ, if that's not >too confusing (you know how we Unitarians are), and my concept of >Christ and god does influence my pro life position. > > On another note, although I am pro life, I am very liberal. And I >tire of these people who are pro life yet they could care less what >happens when the babies are out there. It seems alot of the loudest >right pro lifers are also for cutting funding to crucial programs and >things like that. I think pro life holds a responsibility, pro all >life, and being for taking care of those lives as a society, or >village, when things get difficult for them. > > :) > > > > > > No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back. > > > > -Turkish proverb > > > > > > Fact: Each gallon of gas used by a car contributes almost 20 pounds >of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A single car driving 1,000 miles >a month adds up to 120 tons of CO2 annually. > > > > Fact: One crop of hemp grown on one acre of land produces the same >amount of pulpable fiber as one acre of 20 year old trees. > > > > > > > > Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard > Stay connected whilst on the move. Now you can get Hotmail sent directly to your mobile phone. Click here for details.

Guest guest

Hi Lee

I must admit that ritual was the part of Paganism that I last enjoyed. When I first went to a ritual I thought 'this is going to be so silly' and did not feel relaxed about it at all. It took me about three rituals to realise that actually it was fun and a good way to connect with other people and nature. Anyway - ritual does not have to be part of Paganism at all - it is all down to personal preference.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thursday, November 06, 2003 1:01 PM

Thanks for that Jo.

I think I'm uncomfortable with the ritualistic aspects of paganism to be honest. In fact thats true of all religions. I think thats why I'm drawn to Zen more than anything else right now. But then again I do repeatedly isolate myself in certain situations and maybe following a spiritual path that is very individualistic is a further repetition of that tendency.

Thanks

Lee

Heartwork [Heartwork]06 November 2003 12:28 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

Hi Lee I'm sure your idea or experience of Christianity has not be good...I have found after years of searching different religions.. that the message of Jesus Christ ( as the last great teacher ( so far anyway) has been something special to me ( as it incorporates Love, forgiveness,etc..... I'm not aware of any religions teaching this qualites before him. And as ( as far as I understand... his quotes respected the ancient prophets before him.

I've found the SDA to be the only main Christian group to encourage Vegetarian/Veganism.

The other main thing..is the idea that love comes from outside this world by something that created it.

If I'm brainwashed I'm happily so!

Take care.

-

Lee Delaney

Thanks for that Jo.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

-

Catherine Harris

Thursday, November 06, 2003 1:54 PM

Re: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

have joked in the past about me hugging trees naked...........>

That wouldn't be the tree of life..or the tree of knowledge of good and evil?

half joking here.

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

> Founder and sole member of "The Lost Group".

Sounds interesting... please elaborate :-)

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

Guest guest

Hi Lee

> Jo and Nikki, can I just ask, as pagans, how you go about practicing?

Just poking my nose in, but I'm also Pagan, so wanted to add my twopennorth from my own point of view...

At a basic level, I simply observe the changing seasons, and celebrate the solstices, equinoxes, cross-quarter festivals and esbats. I try to live in harmony with nature (as far as is possible in modern Western society).

I don't follow any set path (such as Wicca or Druidry), but I'm fairly close to the Reclaiming tradition.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03

Guest guest

Hi Lee

> I think I'm uncomfortable with the ritualistic aspects of paganism to be honest. In fact thats true of all religions.

Again, poking my nose in...

I don't usually work in a ritualistic way at all. Sometimes I'll join in with group rituals, as it's a social gathering, and the energy raised can sometimes be very powerful. Generally, I'll practice alone, and without any form of ritual at all.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your post. I grew up in Northern Ireland so christianity unfortunately for me became something about hate and conflict rather than the compassion that I do feel is inherent to it. I also don't feel comfortable in a religion that has such a political structure to it, in terms of a hierarchy. Part of why I feel more ocmfortable about Buddhism is its emphasis on my own development through my own work. The christianity I've experienced was more about accepting the dictates of those who made themselves out to be more important than others. thats purely my experience and obviously not yours. I do appreciate the compassion etc of christianity, and I'm actually quite interested in the Gospel of St Thomas, if you know that.

I also like the idea that Jesus was the first major revolutionary.

My ideas on spirituality are based along the lines of all religions stemming from the same idea, no one is true or false, they are just subjective expressions of a bigger idea.

Lee

simon [simonpjones]06 November 2003 15:34 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee I'm sure your idea or experience of Christianity has not be good...I have found after years of searching different religions.. that the message of Jesus Christ ( as the last great teacher ( so far anyway) has been something special to me ( as it incorporates Love, forgiveness,etc..... I'm not aware of any religions teaching this qualites before him. And as ( as far as I understand... his quotes respected the ancient prophets before him.

I've found the SDA to be the only main Christian group to encourage Vegetarian/Veganism.

The other main thing..is the idea that love comes from outside this world by something that created it.

If I'm brainwashed I'm happily so!

Take care.

-

Lee Delaney

Thanks for that Jo.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

Hey Jo,

that makes a lot fo sense. Do you do any spell casting if you don't mind me asking?

Heartwork [Heartwork]06 November 2003 15:08 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

I must admit that ritual was the part of Paganism that I last enjoyed. When I first went to a ritual I thought 'this is going to be so silly' and did not feel relaxed about it at all. It took me about three rituals to realise that actually it was fun and a good way to connect with other people and nature. Anyway - ritual does not have to be part of Paganism at all - it is all down to personal preference.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thanks for that Jo.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

I've never heard of the Reclaiming tradition Peter, can you tell me more about it please?

I like the idea of following the seasons and living more in harmony with nature ratherh than with alarm clocks and capitlaist ideals.

Peter [metalscarab]06 November 2003 15:50 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

Just poking my nose in, but I'm also Pagan, so wanted to add my twopennorth from my own point of view...

At a basic level, I simply observe the changing seasons, and celebrate the solstices, equinoxes, cross-quarter festivals and esbats. I try to live in harmony with nature (as far as is possible in modern Western society).

I don't follow any set path (such as Wicca or Druidry), but I'm fairly close to the Reclaiming tradition.

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Lee

> I've never heard of the Reclaiming tradition Peter, can you tell me more about it please?

It is quite obscure... I discovered Paganism about 6 years ago, and only heard of Reclaiming about 8 months ago. The main thing I like about it is the political nature. A lot of religions take an attitude that the best thing is to try to avoid living in the "real" world, and aim for Nirvana or some such concept. Reclaiming Paganism is very active in attempting to improve this world. A big part of it is taking a positive view... so when you go on a protest march, you raise positive energy, and aim for positive change, rather than just complaining about how things are.

Other than that, it's basic Paganism... observing the seasons, celebrating festivals, respecting nature, etc.

> I like the idea of following the seasons and living more in harmony with nature ratherh than with alarm clocks and capitlaist

> ideals.

I agree with you there. Modern society is way too obsessed with time IMHO.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

hi all

for myself, its possible to practice paganism all on my own..................observing the solstices in my own way..............candles food friendship................its all down to the individual.............thats my opinion anyway.................

catherine

>"Peter"

> >

>Re: Jill and Suzie, religion >Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:52:29 -0000 > >Hi Lee > > > I think I'm uncomfortable with the ritualistic aspects of paganism to be honest. In fact thats true of all religions. > >Again, poking my nose in... > >I don't usually work in a ritualistic way at all. Sometimes I'll join in with group rituals, as it's a social gathering, and the energy raised can sometimes be very powerful. Generally, I'll practice alone, and without any form of ritual at all. > >BB >Peter > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). >Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03 Get your hands on designer bargains for less -

Guest guest

All trees contain all knowledge as they are connected to source.

Jo

half joking here.

Guest guest

I do a few spells in the traditional sense - but you have to be very careful and very thoughtful about what you do - the main rule being 'harm none' which encompasses everything. In our local group we do healing rituals. On the more New Age front, I do a lot of lightwork as well, hoping to give healing to the planet, different places, and individual people or situations.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thursday, November 06, 2003 4:02 PM

Hey Jo,

that makes a lot fo sense. Do you do any spell casting if you don't mind me asking?

Heartwork [Heartwork]06 November 2003 15:08 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thanks for that Jo.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Lee

Hi

BBJo

Guest guest

Hi Lee

I really enjoy honouring the seasons, but I have found that it does make the years go a lot quicker than beforehand. When celebrating the seasons we honour the natural process and the inner process i.e. Samhain (Halloween) is the Pagan new year, when on a psychological level we contemplate what has happened over the last year to see how we have grown, and then decide how we want to grow in the following year. It is also a time of connecting with (remembering) your dead relatives/ancestors. My brother died two years ago at the age of 56, and it was very helpful to me to be able to acknowledge his life in our group Samhain ritual that year.

Jo

-

Lee Delaney

Thursday, November 06, 2003 4:36 PM

I've never heard of the Reclaiming tradition Peter, can you tell me more about it please?

I like the idea of following the seasons and living more in harmony with nature ratherh than with alarm clocks and capitlaist ideals.

Peter [metalscarab]06 November 2003 15:50 Subject: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Hi Lee

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.530 / Virus Database: 325 - Release 22/10/03To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Jill

Your post shows true understanding and it is very heartwarming to hear you say you help dying people by acknowledging and working with their own beliefs. I think that is the best way to be.

Jo

-

JILL VAN VUGT

Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:38 PM

Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

Surya,I was raised Christian, but became disenchanted by the "preaching" through words instead of through behavior, you know do as I say, not as I do. Although, I do have a Christian friend who is now very much showing her beliefs through her actions rather than words and find that very cool. And hearing people say they were "Good Christians" really turned me off. That didn't fit in to how I saw Christianity nor how I wanted to be seen. I felt it sounded judgmental.The reason I said my religion is irrelevant, in case that's what you are referring to is that I am working with my clients and their life. My beliefs may guide me to be understanding, accepting, supportive, etc., but under no circumstance would I cross the boundary of using my religious beliefs in working with a client. And believe me, I work with people dying all of the time, and what they need is support. Sometimes that means supporting beliefs that I may not find supportive to myself. So, my specific beliefs are irrelevant, my behavior is what is important. I do by the way, work in a religious organization that has managed to be inclusive to all beliefs, but I know if my supervisor heard us talking about our own beliefs, we would be reprimanded.I hope that was somewhat helpful.Jill>Surya Burdick <californiagnomes> > > Jill and Suzie, religion>Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:19:17 -0800 (PST)>>I understand if you don't want to answer, but I was wondering what your >religions are.>I don't consider myself Christian, I actually attend Unitarian church, but >I do consider myself a follower of Christ, if that's not too confusing (you >know how we Unitarians are), and my concept of Christ and god does >influence my pro life position.>On another note, although I am pro life, I am very liberal. And I tire of >these people who are pro life yet they could care less what happens when >the babies are out there. It seems alot of the loudest right pro lifers are >also for cutting funding to crucial programs and things like that. I think >pro life holds a responsibility, pro all life, and being for taking care of >those lives as a society, or village, when things get difficult for them.>:)>>>No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back.>>-Turkish proverb>>>Fact: Each gallon of gas used by a car contributes almost 20 pounds of >carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A single car driving 1,000 miles a month >adds up to 120 tons of CO2 annually.>>Fact: One crop of hemp grown on one acre of land produces the same amount >of pulpable fiber as one acre of 20 year old trees.>>>>Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuard_______________MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search... http://shopping.msn.com

To send an email to -

Guest guest

And wouldn't we all like to know the source?

-

Heartwork

Thursday, November 06, 2003 7:34 PM

Re: Re: Jill and Suzie, religion

All trees contain all knowledge as they are connected to source.

Jo

half joking here.