IndiaDivine.org

Would you? Could you?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, unlike apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering...

*This message was brought to you by: Amy

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*

Guest guest

Well, plants do not have the nervous system, brain, etc., that animals do;

as far as science can tell, they do not have the capacity to suffer and feel

pain. They are not caged and denied all of their natural instincts, nor

trucked for long miles to slaughter. I think there's a huge difference

between a carrot and a cow.

The " what about the plants " argument is also something used against

veg*anism by sarcastic meat-eaters trying to start a fight.

Danielle

" You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake " --Jeanette Rankin

----Original Message Follows----

" Amylia F " <amylia_21

Would you? Could you?

Sat, 03 May 2003 08:57:38 -0700

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, unlike apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering...

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us!

Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether?

Jani

P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much about that either!!!

-

Amylia F

Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM

Would you? Could you?

I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering...

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* To send an email to -

Guest guest

From my understanding, raw foodies are primarily for health reasons--they

believe enzymes in foods are killed if you heat them above a certain

temperature and that the food retains its healthful properties best when it

is not cooked.

Danielle

<janewwt

Re: Would you? Could you?

Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100

Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man

chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers.

Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone

knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us!

Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters.

Or is that a different philosophy altogether?

Jani

P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much

about that either!!!

-

Amylia F

Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM

Would you? Could you?

I just finished reading all the postings on " honey. " See, that's why I

love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I

just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to

this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7

years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go

through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so " pure. " (I've

even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to

fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of

life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See

the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that

believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from

under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product

of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this

guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have

a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that

question. But does anyone feel they are " killing " plants at all? Or maybe

choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just

wondering...

Guest guest

ah the old "plants have feelings tooo!" argument..ever notice how folks relish to say that as they take a bite out of a hamburger.

ok, to tell you the truth, there is no REAL answer to that question..its a red herring, its meant to distract you. "well, so wot if i am responsible for the death of millions of cows, you, you, eat lettuce, lettuce has feelings too, why, you should be put in jail and locked away, you hypocrite.."...see, its meant to throw you, and confuse you...

saying plants have feelings is...mistaken..plants react with their environment because they are alive..they don't have feelings per se, and unlike animals, be they bees or chinchilas, they don't have a nervous system....

we always hear stories about if you talk to plants they respond and grow better, etc(which could mean they just like the carbon dioxide we exude), does this mean plants have feelings?

All life on this planet is connected..it's called a web of life for a reason, and on some level, everything reacts and effects something else, heck, i bet if you walk on a rock, you are subtly changing it, eroding a few slivers here, maybe changing a molecular density there...subtle changes, but changes non the less..you could probably hook up a device that reads subtle changes in radio waves and the like, and it would read that the rock's frequency changed when you walked across it...does that mean the rock felt pain?

like i said, there is no REAL answer to the question, as there isn't meant to be, its meant to throw you off so the speaker can feel smug, and it ducks him searching out his/her feelings on the subject...

as for fruits...fruit is MEANT to be eaten, thats why the plant produces it..

cheers

fraggle

Guest guest

i've tried raw a few times..obviously some people swear by it..there are several Raw resturants in my area..

*shrugs*

sure, cooking alters the enzymes of the food we eat, and, when was the last time you saw a monkey microwave a banana leaf....

but, fer me, i didn't ever really feel the "big change" that is suppose to come over you when you go raw..all the energy and such...

but then again, i never felt different when i went vegan either..maybe i'm just a freak..

i still try and go raw once a week, but, tis hard fer me...while, salads and such are nice, and i enjoy fruit..my choices then seem horribly limited, unless i want to make nut milks and such..and i don't have a blender...

if you want to try it, go fer it, lotsa folks swear by it

but but but..ack! no beer!!!

fraggle

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/4/03 10:03:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time, amylia_21 writes:

I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this possible? I don't understand.

the carrot part you eat is a root....the seeds come from flowers on top...you know, that greenery on the top of the carrot, well, from there, a flower stalk arises....

we eat different parts of most vegetables without thinking about it..

as a matter of fact..cabbage, bok choy(leaves), brocoli, califlower(flowers) brussle sprouts and a buch of others are all the same family of plants, we just bred them for wot we wanted....they all produce seeds, we just don't see the seeds becuase that is not what we eat..

seeds are found in fruits and nuts and the like..

fraggle

Guest guest

Jani,

Without getting too religious on you, I guess I just keep thinking of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I know religion is seen as a philosophy itself, but in the Bible Genesis 1:29-30 God tells Adam and Eve that He has given them all the seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees for food. And the birds and animals get all the grass and plants for their food.---Like I said, I'm NOT trying to preach, just wanted you to know where I was coming from. (I just wish I liked fruit more. Apples, bananas, and grapes are okay, but everything else, ....yuck!) Now, as I write this, I'm thinking something: I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this possible? I don't understand.

>

> >

>Re: Would you? Could you? >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100 > >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us! >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether? > >Jani > >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much about that either!!! > - > Amylia F > > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM > Would you? Could you? > > > I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering... > > > > *This message was brought to you by: Amy > > > > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* >

Guest guest

Jani,

I just realized I really didn't answer your question. When I visited that fruitarian website, it stated that eating raw fruit, and seeds, (nuts, etc.), helped the ecosystem. It said vegetables have to be replanted, but not fruit.----It went on, and on about helping the food-chain circle, and agriculture, or something like that. You can check them out, if you want, at www.fruitarian.com Most of the links are live, but some are not.

>

> >

>Re: Would you? Could you? >Sat, 3 May 2003 17:34:23 +0100 > >Well Amy, I do remember seeing a 'Tales of the Unexpected' story where a man chopping down a tree could hear it screaming - I think it drove him bonkers. Actually that's the only thing I remember about the episode, so if anyone knows the rest, perhaps they could enlighten us! >Perhaps the dilemmas that you've highlighted could explain raw food eaters. Or is that a different philosophy altogether? > >Jani > >P.S. There was another story about a bee-keeper - I can't remember much about that either!!! > - > Amylia F > > Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:57 PM > Would you? Could you? > > > I just finished reading all the postings on "honey." See, that's why I love you guys. You always have something thought-provoking to say, and I just eat it up. (Yum!) And now, I've already asked a similar question to this but, would you, or could you become a fruitarian? I heard about them 7 years ago. I found their official website, but haven't had the hours to go through it. I'm attracted to them, because it just seems so "pure." (I've even heard they refuse to pick fruit off trees, but instead wait for it to fall to the ground----that way it's no longer connected to the source of life, the tree. Once it's on the ground, it's a product of the tree.---See the difference?) Like I said, it seems pure, because there are people that believe eating carrots is murder. ---Why? Because they are pulled out from under the ground, thus ending their life, un like apples which are a product of the tree, not the tree itself. And another thing, I did once have this guy tell me that eating vegetables hurts plants. I know plants do not have a face, but do they have feelings? --Well, I feel funny just asking that question. But does anyone feel they are "killing" plants at all? Or maybe choosing the lesser of two evils by eating plants instead of animals?---Just wondering... > > > > *This message was brought to you by: Amy > > > > The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* >

Guest guest

, " Amylia F " <amylia_21@h...> wrote:

>I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot,

there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this

possible? I don't understand.>

Carrots are umbeliferous biennials- they flower in their second year

of life, the flowers are followed by seed heads. The 'carrot' that

you buy in the greengrocers is simply the swollen root of the plant,

the flowering stem is above ground.

Guest guest

Thank you Fraggle and Graham. So these "seed heads," are they harvested by farmers to be planted again for more carrots? I'm seriously into this.---By the way, I keep getting these pop-up advertisements for me to enter a contest to win 50 pounds of lobster. (Oh joy.) Does anybody else get that?

>"quercusrobur2002"

> > > Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 18:30:05 -0000 > > , "Amylia F" wrote: > > >I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, >there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this >possible? I don't understand.> > >Carrots are umbeliferous biennials- they flower in their second year >of life, the flowers are followed by seed heads. The 'carrot' that >you buy in the greengrocers is simply the swollen root of the plant, >the flowering stem is above ground. > MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*

Guest guest

I don't agree. The statement is a straw man and as such is easy to refute.

It takes 10 times as much plant protein to produce meat than to eat the

plants, so anyone putting this forward should refrain from meat anyway if

they're that bothered.

Dave

----

04 May 2003 16:59:19

ah the old " plants have feelings tooo! " argument..ever notice how folks

relish to say that as they take a bite out of a hamburger.

ok, to tell you the truth, there is no REAL answer to that question..its a

red herring, its meant to distract you. " well, so wot if i am responsible

for the death of millions of cows, you, you, eat lettuce, lettuce has

feelings too, why, you should be put in jail and locked away, you hypocrite.

" ...see, its meant to throw you, and confuse you...

saying plants have feelings is...mistaken..plants react with their

environment because they are alive..they don't have feelings per se, and

unlike animals, be they bees or chinchilas, they don't have a nervous system

we always hear stories about if you talk to plants they respond and grow

better, etc(which could mean they just like the carbon dioxide we exude),

does this mean plants have feelings?

All life on this planet is connected..it's called a web of life for a reason

and on some level, everything reacts and effects something else, heck, i

bet if you walk on a rock, you are subtly changing it, eroding a few slivers

here, maybe changing a molecular density there...subtle changes, but changes

non the less..you could probably hook up a device that reads subtle changes

in radio waves and the like, and it would read that the rock's frequency

changed when you walked across it...does that mean the rock felt pain?

like i said, there is no REAL answer to the question, as there isn't meant

to be, its meant to throw you off so the speaker can feel smug, and it ducks

him searching out his/her feelings on the subject...

as for fruits...fruit is MEANT to be eaten, thats why the plant produces it

cheers

fraggle

Guest guest

But hey, if some carnivorous twit tells us we're killing plants, so are

they: they're responsible for the deaths of far more plants than a

vegetarian; they just recycle it through the cow/chicken/pig.

You just couldn't make that argument to a fruitarian.

Danielle

EBbrewpunx

Sun, 4 May 2003 11:59:11 EDT

ah the old " plants have feelings tooo! " argument..ever notice how folks

relish to say that as they take a bite out of a hamburger.

ok, to tell you the truth, there is no REAL answer to that question..its a

red herring, its meant to distract you. " well, so wot if i am responsible

for the death of millions of cows, you, you, eat lettuce, lettuce has

feelings too, why, you should be put in jail and locked away, you

hypocrite.. " ...see, its meant to throw you, and confuse you...

saying plants have feelings is...mistaken..plants react with their

environment because they are alive..they don't have feelings per se, and

unlike animals, be they bees or chinchilas, they don't have a nervous

system....

we always hear stories about if you talk to plants they respond and grow

better, etc(which could mean they just like the carbon dioxide we exude),

does this mean plants have feelings?

All life on this planet is connected..it's called a web of life for a

reason,

and on some level, everything reacts and effects something else, heck, i bet

if you walk on a rock, you are subtly changing it, eroding a few slivers

here, maybe changing a molecular density there...subtle changes, but changes

non the less..you could probably hook up a device that reads subtle changes

in radio waves and the like, and it would read that the rock's frequency

changed when you walked across it...does that mean the rock felt pain?

like i said, there is no REAL answer to the question, as there isn't meant

to

be, its meant to throw you off so the speaker can feel smug, and it ducks

him

searching out his/her feelings on the subject...

as for fruits...fruit is MEANT to be eaten, thats why the plant produces

it..

cheers

fraggle

Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

Guest guest

If there were a raw restaurant in my neck of the woods, I'd certainly try

it. I just couldn't do it. I can't live without chocolate, ya know.

Danielle

EBbrewpunx

Sun, 4 May 2003 12:06:03 EDT

i've tried raw a few times..obviously some people swear by it..there are

several Raw resturants in my area..

*shrugs*

sure, cooking alters the enzymes of the food we eat, and, when was the last

time you saw a monkey microwave a banana leaf....

but, fer me, i didn't ever really feel the " big change " that is suppose to

come over you when you go raw..all the energy and such...

but then again, i never felt different when i went vegan either..maybe i'm

just a freak..

i still try and go raw once a week, but, tis hard fer me...while, salads and

such are nice, and i enjoy fruit..my choices then seem horribly limited,

unless i want to make nut milks and such..and i don't have a blender...

if you want to try it, go fer it, lotsa folks swear by it

but but but..ack! no beer!!!

fraggle

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

Guest guest

hi all,

i love fruit...........but i couldnt live without humous...................lol

take care all

nos dda

catherine

>"Danielle Kichler"

> > >Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 19:12:39 -0400 > >If there were a raw restaurant in my neck of the woods, I'd certainly try >it. I just couldn't do it. I can't live without chocolate, ya know. > >Danielle > > > >"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake"--Jeanette Rankin > > > > > >----Original Message Follows---- >EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 4 May 2003 12:06:03 EDT > >i've tried raw a few times..obviously some people swear by it..there are >several Raw resturants in my area.. >*shrugs* >sure, cooking alters the enzymes of the food we eat, and, when was the last >time you saw a monkey microwave a banana leaf.... >but, fer me, i didn't ever really feel the "big change" that is suppose to >come over you when you go raw..all the energy and such... >but then again, i never felt different when i went vegan either..maybe i'm >just a freak.. >i still try and go raw once a week, but, tis hard fer me...while, salads and >such are nice, and i enjoy fruit..my choices then seem horribly limited, >unless i want to make nut milks and such..and i don't have a blender... >if you want to try it, go fer it, lotsa folks swear by it >but but but..ack! no beer!!! >fraggle > > >_______________ >MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus > Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8 you can filter it out

Guest guest

I get these sick " drag the lobster to the pot and win 50 pounds of lobster. "

Isn't that just SICK?!

Danielle

" Amylia F " <amylia_21

Re: Re: Would you? Could you?

Sun, 04 May 2003 14:38:50 -0700

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

Thank you Fraggle and Graham. So these "seed heads," are they harvested by farmers to be planted again for more carrots? I'm seriously into this.---By the way, I keep getting these pop-up advertisements for me to enter a contest to win 50 pounds of lobster. (Oh joy.) Does anybody else get that?

>"quercusrobur2002"

> > > Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 18:30:05 -0000 > > , "Amylia F" wrote: > > >I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, >there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this >possible? I don't understand.> > >Carrots are umbeliferous biennials- they flower in their second year >of life, the flowers are followed by seed heads. The 'carrot' that >you buy in the greengrocers is simply the swollen root of the plant, >the flowering stem is above ground. > MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Amy,

Fruit and Veg. are designed by the plant to be eaten - that's how their seeds are dispersed and propagated. That's also why they don't have a nervous system to alert to pain or disease, or means to flee from danger, like animals. By contrast animals, like us, have a survival instinct so they can breed and prosper. It doesn't make any sense for plants to feel pain, but B.S. artists still try it anyway.

By the way, I love fruit, but life without soy ice-cream and dark chocolate sounds pretty dull to me!

Tom

-

Amylia F

Saturday, May 03, 2003 8:57 AM

Would you? Could you?

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* To send an email to -

Guest guest

Danielle,

YES!!!---I get that too! It must be because we both have hotmail accounts. I have to confess though. I actually moved my mouse onto one lobster, just to see what would happen. The lobster's eyes get real big, like he's scared or something. Then if you click him and start to drag him towards the pot, he closes his eyes and starts to pull away from the direction of the pot. DON'T WORRY...I did NOT drag the poor little lobster into the pot. I just wanted to see what how far these sickos would go to get people to pay attention to their carniverous advertisement. (In a way, I feel dirty for doing it, but it just made me realize how one animal's torture, is another person's pleasure or amusement.)

>"Danielle Kichler"

> > >Re: Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 19:27:46 -0400 > >I get these sick "drag the lobster to the pot and win 50 pounds of lobster." > Isn't that just SICK?! > >Danielle > > > >"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake"--Jeanette Rankin > > > > > >----Original Message Follows---- >"Amylia F"

> > >Re: Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 14:38:50 -0700 > > > >_______________ >Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail ><< message5.txt >> Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

Guest guest

Also rhubarb isn't a fruit it's the stalk of a plant (just wanted to so I'm not entirely stupid as some posts may imply)

And, its strange how we call may fruit - veg, e.g. sweet peppers, aubergine etc

Does anyone know how that's come about?

Jani

-

EBbrewpunx

Sunday, May 04, 2003 6:10 PM

In a message dated 5/4/03 10:03:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time, amylia_21 writes:

I've seen carrot seeds in the store, but when I eat a carrot, there's no seed inside, like apples, or oranges. How is this possible? I don't understand.the carrot part you eat is a root....the seeds come from flowers on top...you know, that greenery on the top of the carrot, well, from there, a flower stalk arises....we eat different parts of most vegetables without thinking about it..as a matter of fact..cabbage, bok choy(leaves), brocoli, califlower(flowers) brussle sprouts and a buch of others are all the same family of plants, we just bred them for wot we wanted....they all produce seeds, we just don't see the seeds becuase that is not what we eat..seeds are found in fruits and nuts and the like..fraggle To send an email to -

Guest guest

Ah! But is this not similar to the argument that you couldn't become veggie because you like meat too much?

Jani

-

Catherine Harris

Monday, May 05, 2003 12:14 AM

hi all,

i love fruit...........but i couldnt live without humous...................lol

take care all

nos dda

catherine

>"Danielle Kichler"

> > >Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 04 May 2003 19:12:39 -0400 > >If there were a raw restaurant in my neck of the woods, I'd certainly try >it. I just couldn't do it. I can't live without chocolate, ya know. > >Danielle > > > >"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake"--Jeanette Rankin > > > > > >----Original Message Follows---- >EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Would you? Could you? >Sun, 4 May 2003 12:06:03 EDT > >i've tried raw a few times..obviously some people swear by it..there are >several Raw resturants in my area.. >*shrugs* >sure, cooking alters the enzymes of the food we eat, and, when was the last >time you saw a monkey microwave a banana leaf.... >but, fer me, i didn't ever really feel the "big change" that is suppose to >come over you when you go raw..all the energy and such... >but then again, i never felt different when i went vegan either..maybe i'm >just a freak.. >i still try and go raw once a week, but, tis hard fer me...while, salads and >such are nice, and i enjoy fruit..my choices then seem horribly limited, >unless i want to make nut milks and such..and i don't have a blender... >if you want to try it, go fer it, lotsa folks swear by it >but but but..ack! no beer!!! >fraggle > > >_______________ >MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus >

Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8 you can filter it out To send an email to -

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/4/03 2:39:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, amylia_21 writes:

in general, the carrots here in the US never make it to seed...most veggie seeds in this country are run by a few megacorps who produce seeds...so, unless the farmer is using sustainable farming methods(he saves his own seeds, more common in the rest of the world then here), he buys them from a big outside company, which in turn, is probably owned by a chemical corp nowadays....

fraggle

*always the bringer of happy news*

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/5/03 12:07:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, janewwt writes:

And, its strange how we call may fruit - veg, e.g. sweet peppers, aubergine etc

Does anyone know how that's come about?

in modern jargon and popular speak, fruits have come to mean foods from trees with generally high sugar content, while vegetables are grown from plants ..in general..

technically, everything from tomatoes to gooseberries are fruit....

Guest guest

public library..well..thereis that copy of huck finn, no wait, that was burned 2 years ago...ummm..

there are many many many books to read on a variety of gardening subjects, everything from organic to permaculture...

some of the Rodale organic guide books might be a good place to start and, for a vegan connection try Robbin's Food Revolution,

hey graham, wot would you recommend, yer the farmer here....

fraggle

Guest guest

Mr. Fraggle,

It seems that you, like others here, know a lot about crop production and such. I, too wish to obtain such knowledge. What books can one check-out from the public library, to educate and enlighten herself about these topics? I thank you in advance.

>EBbrewpunx > > >Re: Re: Would you? Could you? >Mon, 5 May 2003 10:31:15 EDT > >In a message dated 5/4/03 2:39:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, >amylia_21 writes: > > > > Thank you Fraggle and Graham. So these "seed heads," are they harvested > > by farmers to be planted again for more carrots? I'm seriously into > > this.---By the way, I keep getting these pop-up advertisements for me to > > enter a contest to win 50 pounds of lobster. (Oh joy.) Does anybody else > > get that? > > > > > > > > > >in general, the carrots here in the US never make it to seed...most veggie >seeds in this country are run by a few megacorps who produce seeds...so, >unless the farmer is using sustainable farming methods(he saves his own >seeds, more common in the rest of the world then here), he buys them from a >big outside company, which in turn, is probably owned by a chemical corp >nowadays.... >fraggle >*always the bringer of happy news* Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

Guest guest

Even if plants could feel pain, which is not substantiated by any credible scientific study I'm aware of, meat-eaters kill far more plants indirectly than do vegans, since about 90% of the plant calories eaten by the food animals are wasted, not to mention the huge amounts of land clearing specifically for animal grazing. Just say to a meat eater, I'll take you to see terrified animals butchered and brutalised at the abattoir, then you take me to see rows of screaming cabbages being ruthlessly picked...

Tom

-

EBbrewpunx

Sunday, May 04, 2003 8:59 AM

ah the old "plants have feelings tooo!" argument..ever notice how folks relish to say that as they take a bite out of a hamburger.ok, to tell you the truth, there is no REAL answer to that question..its a red herring, its meant to distract you. "well, so wot if i am responsible for the death of millions of cows, you, you, eat lettuce, lettuce has feelings too, why, you should be put in jail and locked away, you hypocrite.."...see, its meant to throw you, and confuse you...saying plants have feelings is...mistaken..plants react with their environment because they are alive..they don't have feelings per se, and unlike animals, be they bees or chinchilas, they don't have a nervous system....we always hear stories about if you talk to plants they respond and grow better, etc(which could mean they just like the carbon dioxide we exude), does this mean plants have feelings?All life on this planet is connected..it's called a web of life for a reason, and on some level, everything reacts and effects something else, heck, i bet if you walk on a rock, you are subtly changing it, eroding a few slivers here, maybe changing a molecular density there...subtle changes, but changes non the less..you could probably hook up a device that reads subtle changes in radio waves and the like, and it would read that the rock's frequency changed when you walked across it...does that mean the rock felt pain?like i said, there is no REAL answer to the question, as there isn't meant to be, its meant to throw you off so the speaker can feel smug, and it ducks him searching out his/her feelings on the subject...as for fruits...fruit is MEANT to be eaten, thats why the plant produces it..cheersfraggle To send an email to -