IndiaDivine.org

Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternatives

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Years ago I ordered a pizza without cheese and the kid taking the order

on the phone paused and then said, "but it won't taste very good." I

asked to talk to the manager who was very happy to make my veggie pizza

without cheese and included a coupon for another one in the order.

I'll admit taste wise that particular pizza wasn't inspired, but I

don't think it was due to the lack of cheese. (I did explain to the

manager I didn't want the kid to get in trouble, just to be educated.)

Years later they don't even hesitate. I find I like the pizza better

if I ask for extra sauce -- I think they skimp on it when they're

loading all that cheese on there.

Debbie

Jenn wrote:

Most places in the US may look at you weird when you

order pizza without cheese, but they will do it, because that is what

you ordered.

nev er tried it, will do very soon,

Debbie

Friday, January 02, 2009 8:43 AM

Re: Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternatives

Years ago I ordered a pizza without cheese and the kid taking the order on the phone paused and then said, "but it won't taste very good." I asked to talk to the manager who was very happy to make my veggie pizza without cheese and included a coupon for another one in the order. I'll admit taste wise that particular pizza wasn't inspired, but I don't think it was due to the lack of cheese. (I did explain to the manager I didn't want the kid to get in trouble, just to be educated.) Years later they don't even hesitate. I find I like the pizza better if I ask for extra sauce -- I think they skimp on it when they're loading all that cheese on there. DebbieJenn wrote:

Most places in the US may look at you weird when you order pizza without cheese, but they will do it, because that is what you ordered.

I've made cheeseless pizza and loved it. I've also eaten foods without vegan cheese and loved it.I still like eating vegan cheese on occasion. I've had nachos without vegan cheese and it just wasn't the same, and I did indeed miss it.

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM, estrellas.seven <estrellas.seven wrote:

you can actually substitute seasoned bread crumbs, whether storebought

or homemade for recipes that call for cheese like parmesean. small

amounts of vegan cheese are fine, you'll even find in italy that the

use of cheese on pizza is drastically less than americans use on

pizza. also, for things like nachos, other mexican foods, if you use

ff beans ( " refried " ) and flavorful things like peppers, sauteed corn &

spices, variety of veggies, you won't even miss the cheese.

, " Blue Rose " <bluerose156 wrote:

>

> I don't think anyone really *needs* it more than they need any other

luxury

> food item. I just like it. I enjoy making the occasional vegan

quesadilla,

> eggplant parm, pizza, and nachos. They're not every day food items, but

> they're nice to have, like chocolate. :)

>

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Tom Fronczak, LICSW

<TJFronczakwrote:

>

> >

> > I actually find that the longer I am away from cheese (including the

> > vegan cheeses, which I agree are costly financially and not with great

> > nutritional value), the less I really feel a need for cheese. Its all

> > conditioning! Try removing the vegan cheese for one month.... and

> > see if you really NEED IT... or if its a want.......

> >

>

>

>

> --

> AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

> http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

> ~

> Boston_Gothic

> Boston_Mystic

> Boston-Pagans

>

---

Check out our recipe files at http://www.fatfreevegan.com .

I don’t find anyone here gives me a second look when I order pizza without cheese — and I do sometimes ask for additional sauce when I know it’s somewhere that tends to skimp on sauce. What I do find is there are only one or two places that are willing to throw on extra toppings “in place of” the cheese. They’re happy to do it for an extra charge, but I feel like cheese is expensive and since I’m not having any but still paying full price, they shouldn’t mind throwing on a bit of extra green pepper. Most places, however, charge me to do that.

Anna

On 2/1/09 6:43 AM, " Debbie " <debbie wrote:

Years ago I ordered a pizza without cheese and the kid taking the order on the phone paused and then said, " but it won't taste very good. " I asked to talk to the manager who was very happy to make my veggie pizza without cheese and included a coupon for another one in the order. I'll admit taste wise that particular pizza wasn't inspired, but I don't think it was due to the lack of cheese. (I did explain to the manager I didn't want the kid to get in trouble, just to be educated.)

Years later they don't even hesitate. I find I like the pizza better if I ask for extra sauce -- I think they skimp on it when they're loading all that cheese on there.

Debbie

Jenn wrote:

Most places in the US may look at you weird when you order pizza without cheese, but they will do it, because that is what you ordered.

Ah, yes, that's one of my pet peeves; if you

order, say, a chicken salad minus the animal,

it seems logical you should either get a price

reduction or the option to increase the other

ingredients without their usual surcharge.

-Erin

http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

-

Coop

Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:15 PM

Re: Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter

alternatives

I don't find anyone here gives me a second look when I order pizza without

cheese - and I do sometimes ask for additional sauce when I know it's

somewhere that tends to skimp on sauce. What I do find is there are only

one or two places that are willing to throw on extra toppings " in place of "

the cheese. They're happy to do it for an extra charge, but I feel like

cheese is expensive and since I'm not having any but still paying full

price, they shouldn't mind throwing on a bit of extra green pepper. Most

places, however, charge me to do that.

Anna

that is why i have stop ordering out and only make my own foods. it

costs too much for ingredients that in reality cost very little.

, " Erin " <truepatriot wrote:

>

> Ah, yes, that's one of my pet peeves; if you

> order, say, a chicken salad minus the animal,

> it seems logical you should either get a price

> reduction or the option to increase the other

> ingredients without their usual surcharge.

Well, true enough, this isn't really an " issue "

for me either as I don't eat out that often.

When I do, I'll often order a " big *ss salad, "

whether that's on the menu or not, followed by

an explanation that, " Hey, this is my MEAL, make

it big and be creative; every veggie you got! "

:)

I agree about the cost of ingredients. A little

salad of lettuce and tomatoes for $4 or a bunch

of collard greens for $2.49. Easy choice.

-Erin

-

estrellas.seven

Friday, January 02, 2009 8:05 AM

Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter

alternatives

that is why i have stop ordering out and only make my own foods. it

costs too much for ingredients that in reality cost very little.

, " Erin " <truepatriot wrote:

>

> Ah, yes, that's one of my pet peeves; if you

> order, say, a chicken salad minus the animal,

> it seems logical you should either get a price

> reduction or the option to increase the other

> ingredients without their usual surcharge.

We hardly eat out, here in New Zealand, I do have lunch out I order a salad with lots on it, we have a really good cafe in Palmy they do a full on salad for $7.00 I can hardly eat it all,

Erin

Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:50 AM

Re: Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternatives

Well, true enough, this isn't really an "issue"for me either as I don't eat out that often.When I do, I'll often order a "big *ss salad,"whether that's on the menu or not, followed byan explanation that, "Hey, this is my MEAL, makeit big and be creative; every veggie you got!":)I agree about the cost of ingredients. A littlesalad of lettuce and tomatoes for $4 or a bunchof collard greens for $2.49. Easy choice.-Erinhttp://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog- estrellas.seven Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 8:05 AM Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternativesthat is why i have stop ordering out and only make my own foods. itcosts too much for ingredients that in reality cost very little. , "Erin" <truepatriot wrote:>> Ah, yes, that's one of my pet peeves; if you> order, say, a chicken salad minus the animal,> it seems logical you should either get a price> reduction or the option to increase the other> ingredients without their usual surcharge.

My husband is always worried that someone will spit in our food (or worse) when I send stuff back or am adamant about altering a menu item to be vegan (or getting something that isn't even on the menu)I totally agree! I went to a birthday lunch for one of my coworkers years ago and I ordered some sort of pasta dish that normally comes with chicken. They said they could leave the chicken off, but then they still tried to charge me the full price ($13.95!). I immediately objected because a few noodles and 3 pieces of steamed broccoli was hardly worth it. They reduced the price to $7.95, but still more than I really wanted to pay, because I knew that there was no way it could cost that much to make (at most, $3.00) and it wasn't very tasty either.The place where I was working at the time had an employee

cafeteria. In that cafeteria, they had a sandwich bar, very similar to what you could get at Subway or other sandwich shop. They had a sign up stating they will charge extra if you want to add more meat & cheese to your sandwich. I asked them if they charged extra for more meat, why don't they charge less for no meat? I guess they couldn't find any good reason not to, so they started charging less for sandwiches with just veggies & condiments on them :) (for me, usually just mustard as far as condiments go)Another time we went to a lunch with more coworkers, and the restaurant we went to had a few things on their menu that could be veganized. The waitress was new and just did not get it when I asked for no meat, cheese or other dairy in my entree. My pasta arrived swimming in a pink sauce, and nowhere on the menu did it indicate that it was more than just marinara sauce (which typically doesn't have

any dairy in it, though sometimes they make it with chicken stock, so make sure to ask). Before ordering, I asked if was made without chcken stock or if there was cheese in it. She said no. When it showed up pink, I asked her again if there was dairy in it and she said didn't know. So it got sent back to the kitchen, and it came back a second time with nothing changed. The manager offered me a fruit plate in the meantime while they fixed it (again) so I didn't have to sit there and watch everybody else eating. The third time was the charm and it was actually right. They even comped my meal because of the mix up. This restaurant has a website and I wrote to them telling them of my experience and said I probaly wouldn't ever eat there again because it upset me so much. They wrote back and said that they would give me a $30 gift card if I gave them another chance. So I did, and they were better informed this

time around. It's not a place I visit often (there aren't any near my house), but if I happen to be in the area and other people I am with want to go there, I know there is something I can order and be somewhat satisfied with, as long as I don't get a dingy waitperson who doesn't know anything about the menu.Sometimes asking a lower price for just plant-based meals doesn't work though-one place we went to, a new restaurant in town, had nothing on their menu that was vegan, except tomato soup. That's hardly a filling dinner, but I guess they talked to the chef and he came out to talk to us personally. He said he would whip up something special, just for me and asked what things I didn't like or want in my meal. I told him as long as there were no brussels sprouts, canned peas (or canned spinach) or red wine in any form (allergic) in it, anything would be fine, as long as it was vegan. He came out with this ginormous

platter, filled with 5-6 differently prepared potatoes, lots of different kinds of mushrooms and several varius other veggies on my platter. It wasn't on the menu, and there weren't all that many people in the restaurant at the time, but everyone saw my platter coming out, and they were instantly jealous and wondered why they didn't order the same thing. It wasn't cheap though-about $20, but it was tasty and I didn't really mind paying that because the chef went totally out of their way to satisfy my needs.Recently, we went to another new restaurant and ordered something that wasn't on the menu, and again, it was very expensive. This time though, it wasn't very good and I felt extremely cheated, because it wasn't a whole lot of food nor did it taste all that great either.If you don't ask, you will never know what food establishments will do for you. They want to keep their customers, and if you are

unhappy about service or menu selections, you probably won't go back, and they don't want that to happen. --- On Thu, 1/1/09, Erin <truepatriot wrote:

Erin <truepatriotRe: Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternatives Date: Thursday, January 1, 2009, 4:25 PM

Ah, yes, that's one of my pet peeves; if youorder, say, a chicken salad minus the animal,it seems logical you should either get a pricereduction or the option to increase the otheringredients without their usual surcharge.-Erinhttp://www.zenpawn. com/vegblog- CoopThursday, January 01, 2009 6:15 PMRe: Re: Fat free- Cheese or and No Oil Butter alternativesI don't find anyone here gives me a second look when I order pizza without cheese - and I do sometimes ask for additional sauce when I know it's somewhere that tends to skimp on sauce. What I do find is there are only one or two places that are willing to throw on extra toppings

"in place of" the cheese. They're happy to do it for an extra charge, but I feel like cheese is expensive and since I'm not having any but still paying full price, they shouldn't mind throwing on a bit of extra green pepper. Most places, however, charge me to do that.Anna

Great stories, Jenn. I'm sure you've read my other message

by now and know I do indeed ask for what I want on the rare

occasion I eat out. So, I definitely concur.

One waiter at an Olive Garden actually went back into the

kitchen and made my " big *ss salad " himself, incl., grilled

zucchini. He was quite happy to have had the opportunity

to get creative (that was one of my instructions, that and

" every veggie you got " ). Like your dinner companions, mine

looked jealously at my platter too. (Just like the veggie

pizzas at office parties always seem to go first.) :)

-Erin