IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Katrina

Rate this topic

Guest guest

might not be any electricty to some spots for over a month

they declared martial law this morning in new orleans

haven't heard from all my friends down there either yet... Jo Cwazy Aug 30, 2005 3:49 PM Katrina

The telly reports on New Orleans and surrounding areas look bad. The water is still getting deeper and there is no electricity or drinking water.

Jo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Let's hope they are okay - unfortunately nothing is working, not even mobiles, so you might not hear for a while.

BBJo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:57 PM

Re: Katrina

haven't heard from all my friends down there either yet... Jo Cwazy Aug 30, 2005 3:49 PM Katrina

The telly reports on New Orleans and surrounding areas look bad. The water is still getting deeper and there is no electricity or drinking water.

Jo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

one person e-mailed me..so, not everyone is down....

Jo Cwazy Aug 30, 2005 4:04 PM Re: Katrina

Let's hope they are okay - unfortunately nothing is working, not even mobiles, so you might not hear for a while.

BBJo

-

fraggle

Jo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

That's good.

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 12:30 AM

one person e-mailed me..so, not everyone is down....

Jo Cwazy Aug 30, 2005 4:04 PM Re: Katrina

BBJo

-

fraggle

Jo

To send an email to -

Guest guest

from the Boston Globe

the snowfall he's refering to in LA actually took place on the grapevine, the mountain pass just north of LA, where the I-5 climbs out of LA and crosses over to the central valley

ROSS GELBSPAN

Katrina's real name

By Ross Gelbspan | August 30, 2005

THE HURRICANE that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed Katrina by the National Weather Service. Its real name is global warming.

When the year began with a two-foot snowfall in Los Angeles, the cause was global warming.

When 124-mile-an-hour winds shut down nuclear plants in Scandinavia and cut power to hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland and the United Kingdom, the driver was global warming.

When a severe drought in the Midwest dropped water levels in the Missouri River to their lowest on record earlier this summer, the reason was global warming.

In July, when the worst drought on record triggered wildfires in Spain and Portugal and left water levels in France at their lowest in 30 years, the explanation was global warming.

When a lethal heat wave in Arizona kept temperatures above 110 degrees and killed more than 20 people in one week, the culprit was global warming.

And when the Indian city of Bombay (Mumbai) received 37 inches of rain in one day -- killing 1,000 people and disrupting the lives of 20 million others -- the villain was global warming.

As the atmosphere warms, it generates longer droughts, more-intense downpours, more-frequent heat waves, and more-severe storms.

Although Katrina began as a relatively small hurricane that glanced off south Florida, it was supercharged with extraordinary intensity by the relatively blistering sea surface temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

The consequences are as heartbreaking as they are terrifying.

Unfortunately, very few people in America know the real name of Hurricane Katrina because the coal and oil industries have spent millions of dollars to keep the public in doubt about the issue.

The reason is simple: To allow the climate to stabilize requires humanity to cut its use of coal and oil by 70 percent. That, of course, threatens the survival of one of the largest commercial enterprises in history.

In 1995, public utility hearings in Minnesota found that the coal industry had paid more than $1 million to four scientists who were public dissenters on global warming. And ExxonMobil has spent more than $13 million since 1998 on an anti-global warming public relations and lobbying campaign.

In 2000, big oil and big coal scored their biggest electoral victory yet when President George W. Bush was elected president -- and subsequently took suggestions from the industry for his climate and energy policies.

As the pace of climate change accelerates, many researchers fear we have already entered a period of irreversible runaway climate change.

Against this background, the ignorance of the American public about global warming stands out as an indictment of the US media.

When the US press has bothered to cover the subject of global warming, it has focused almost exclusively on its political and diplomatic aspects and not on what the warming is doing to our agriculture, water supplies, plant and animal life, public health, and weather.

For years, the fossil fuel industry has lobbied the media to accord the same weight to a handful of global warming skeptics that it accords the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries reporting to the United Nations.

Today, with the science having become even more robust -- and the impacts as visible as the megastorm that covered much of the Gulf of Mexico -- the press bears a share of the guilt for our self-induced destruction with the oil and coal industries.

As a Bostonian, I am afraid that the coming winter will -- like last winter -- be unusually short and devastatingly severe. At the beginning of 2005, a deadly ice storm knocked out power to thousands of people in New England and dropped a record-setting 42.2 inches of snow on Boston.

The conventional name of the month was January. Its real name is global warming.

Ross Gelbspan is author of ''The Heat Is On" and ''Boiling Point."

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

I am TOTALLY digusted by the average citizen. They even have pictures of cops louting! As if the hurricane wasn't bad enough!

Of course, if all the National Guard and Reserves weren't off fighting for the White House Idiots war for oil, then there might have been enough folks to keep things under control!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 3:49 PM

Katrina

Jo

Guest guest

I can't understand how people can do that (we saw some on the telly last night too), especially from homes.

Jo

-

Lynda

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 5:35 AM

I am TOTALLY digusted by the average citizen. They even have pictures of cops louting! As if the hurricane wasn't bad enough!

Of course, if all the National Guard and Reserves weren't off fighting for the White House Idiots war for oil, then there might have been enough folks to keep things under control!

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Katrina

Jo

Guest guest

it doesn't take much for society to crumble

the binds that tie and the glue that holds us all together gets thinner and shakier every day it seems

and..it can't be forgotten that while the news was full of the city was ordered evacuated, there was no plan to get many people out of the city..

if you didn't have yer own vehicle..,.sorry..yer not going anywhere..

who's that gonna be? the poor Jo Cwazy Aug 31, 2005 1:34 AM Re: Katrina

I can't understand how people can do that (we saw some on the telly last night too), especially from homes.

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

-----

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

Dick (and anyone else in Katrina's path),

We'll be thinking of you and hoping for as little damage as possible.

Hang in there!

Amy

On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 03:54 AM,

wrote:

> Hurricane Katrina will be passing over our county later today; we

> expect

> power will be out for days. My house has a lower floor with very

> strong 12 "

> concrete walls; it is a tornado shelter where we've gathered my nearby

> family, including my elderly grandmother. We expect to be ok.

> ...

> Be kind. Be of good cheer.

> Dick Ford

> www.dick-ford.com

>

Guest guest

yes this is true,

I often times wonder, who were the geniuses which planned these suburbs and cities in the 1950's.

I am aware that something had to be done with the growing populations, but had they kept in mind the community aspect of it all, things mayn't have been this way.

Malls, destroyed the corner store. I hate malls.

Currently in my town, there is a movement to revitilize the downtown area. This is good.

would it be so bad if people rode on bikes, pretended there were no such things as cars and walked or bike everywhere. I shall and have done this, however, the way my town is layed out, it is inevitably automobilistic.

Why I know some seniors who haven't crossed the street on foot in decades for fear of being hit, because they walk much too slow for before the traffic light changes. How sad and ignored is this behaviour.

More trees would be planted (for shade) for in some places, you might die from heat exhaustion, in just five blocks without trees.

people would definetely be more fit, cadiovascular activity and good endorphins. There would be more human interactions,

more feelings of security, community and positive associations and trust. A place where everybody knows your name.

when walking I believe that people can see more. See more flowers, plant more flowers, know the names of flowers, know the names of birds and insects, and the names of trees. apreciate their beauty. want to beautify the place more. even with original your original way of thinking, your art. smell more, think better.

these things you cannot do in a car.

-anouk

-

fraggle

8/31/2005 10:02:22 AM

the binds that tie and the glue that holds us all together gets thinner and shakier every day it seems

and..it can't be forgotten that while the news was full of the city was ordered evacuated, there was no plan to get many people out of the city..

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

-----

finishing one by one

Guest guest

it was a lovely combination of the oil companies and automakers who were some of the biggest proponents of the suburbs and destruction of public transportation

growing population really is a red herring..europe is much more densely populated..they really don't have the same suburbs we do Re: Katrina

yes this is true,

I often times wonder, who were the geniuses which planned these suburbs and cities in the 1950's.

I am aware that something had to be done with the growing populations, but had they kept in mind the community aspect of it all, things mayn't have been this way.

finishing one by one

Guest guest

I guess basically its the caveman instinct to survive at any cost. The cops are the law so they can ( and as shown frequently do ) whatever they like.

It is very, very sad.But shoot happens, and very little surprises me any more.

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Katrina

JoPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

HI Anouk

Do you reckon things will change back towards that?

Jo

-

zurumato

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:36 PM

yes this is true,

Malls, destroyed the corner store. I hate malls.

Currently in my town, there is a movement to revitilize the downtown area. This is good.

would it be so bad if people rode on bikes, pretended there were no such things as cars and walked or bike everywhere. I shall and have done this, however, the way my town is layed out, it is inevitably automobilistic.

Why I know some seniors who haven't crossed the street on foot in decades for fear of being hit, because they walk much too slow for before the traffic light changes. How sad and ignored is this behaviour.

More trees would be planted (for shade) for in some places, you might die from heat exhaustion, in just five blocks without trees.

people would definetely be more fit, cadiovascular activity and good endorphins. There would be more human interactions,

more feelings of security, community and positive associations and trust. A place where everybody knows your name.

when walking I believe that people can see more. See more flowers, plant more flowers, know the names of flowers, know the names of birds and insects, and the names of trees. apreciate their beauty. want to beautify the place more. even with original your original way of thinking, your art. smell more, think better.

these things you cannot do in a car.

-anouk

-

fraggle

8/31/2005 10:02:22 AM

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

----- a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

I agree. I saw lots of people stealing bread, etc. which I can understand in a disaster situation.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:02 PM

I guess basically its the caveman instinct to survive at any cost. The cops are the law so they can ( and as shown frequently do ) whatever they like.

It is very, very sad.But shoot happens, and very little surprises me any more.

The Valley Vegan......Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Katrina

Jo

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

I'm kinda curious and am guessing someone on here would know.... New Orleans is a bowl between water, with dykes holding that water back. The dykes break and water pours in, what did they originally do, here, we'll push this water back and secure it with dykes? Was it originally above ground and sunk? I'm curious how this all came about.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Jo

-

Lynda

Lynda

-----

finishing one by one Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

new orleans has always been pretty low

but

its been sinking

and, the problems been getting worse as the mississppi has been channeled and such...you don;t get the sam build up as before....

and..umm...its dikes btw...dykes are something else altogether

:)

fraggle Jonnie Hellens Aug 31, 2005 3:56 PM Re: Katrina

I'm kinda curious and am guessing someone on here would know.... New Orleans is a bowl between water, with dykes holding that water back. The dykes break and water pours in, what did they originally do, here, we'll push this water back and secure it with dykes? Was it originally above ground and sunk? I'm curious how this all came about.

finishing one by one

Guest guest

I hadn't realised the spelling was different - sounds a bit Dianic :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:02 AM

but

its been sinking

and, the problems been getting worse as the mississppi has been channeled and such...you don;t get the sam build up as before....

I'm kinda curious and am guessing someone on here would know.... New Orleans is a bowl between water, with dykes holding that water back. The dykes break and water pours in, what did they originally do, here, we'll push this water back and secure it with dykes? Was it originally above ground and sunk? I'm curious how this all came about.

finishing one by one

Guest guest

Oh, so it wasn't that some ladies were getting tired of holding the water back and gave up?

The dikes then were build to keep the water back after the sinking occured, then Bush halted a project that might have saved this city? Do I have that correct then?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

but

its been sinking

Guest guest

in 1910 they started pumping water up out of the marshes and bayous, allowing new orleans to expand and grow

they literally had to pump the water up into canals which were higher then the city...

the army corp of engineers, and several other agencies, had long built canals and such along the mississippi to alleviate flooding..alas, this also caused the land to stop growing, as no longer was soil being deposited...

also, with all the pumping going on to keep new orleans dry, the land started to sink(you pump out groundwater, and thats wots gonna happen)

lotsa sights along major US waterways are in similar situations, just not as bad as new orleans...

when you build in a flood plain, eventually somethings gonna fail... Jonnie Hellens Sep 1, 2005 10:54 AM Re: Katrina

Oh, so it wasn't that some ladies were getting tired of holding the water back and gave up?

The dikes then were build to keep the water back after the sinking occured, then Bush halted a project that might have saved this city? Do I have that correct then?

are you a mod or are you a skin or are you a punk or are you just faking?

Guest guest

Dianic? Is she one of the ladies holding the water back?Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

fraggle

but

its been sinking

I'm kinda curious and am guessing someone on here would know.... New Orleans is a bowl between water, with dykes holding that water back. The dykes break and water pours in, what did they originally do, here, we'll push this water back and secure it with dykes? Was it originally above ground and sunk? I'm curious how this all came about.a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

Guest guest

dianic wiccan Jonnie Hellens Sep 1, 2005 11:19 AM Re: Katrina

Dianic? Is she one of the ladies holding the water back?Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jo

-

fraggle

but

its been sinking

I'm kinda curious and am guessing someone on here would know.... New Orleans is a bowl between water, with dykes holding that water back. The dykes break and water pours in, what did they originally do, here, we'll push this water back and secure it with dykes? Was it originally above ground and sunk? I'm curious how this all came about.a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

Start your day with - make it your home page To send an email to -

Guest guest

Dianic is a form of Wiccan that is for 'wymyn' who don't recognise any male deity (and give the general feeling (to me) of not liking men very much). Wherever the word 'men' comes into anything they spell it 'myn' to distance themselves. Seems a bit myntal to me :-)

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:19 PM

Jo

-

fraggle

but

its been sinking

Guest guest

My DH insisted that we bought no home on flood areas. He's a firm believer in respect the Mother.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

in 1910 they started pumping water up out of the marshes and bayous, allowing new orleans to expand and grow

they literally had to pump the water up into canals which were higher then the city...

the army corp of engineers, and several other agencies, had long built canals and such along the mississippi to alleviate flooding..alas, this also caused the land to stop growing, as no longer was soil being deposited...

also, with all the pumping going on to keep new orleans dry, the land started to sink(you pump out groundwater, and thats wots gonna happen)

lotsa sights along major US waterways are in similar situations, just not as bad as new orleans...

when you build in a flood plain, eventually somethings gonna fail... Jonnie Hellens Sep 1, 2005 10:54 AM Re: Katrina

The dikes then were build to keep the water back after the sinking occured, then Bush halted a project that might have saved this city? Do I have that correct then?

are you a mod or are you a skin or are you a punk or are you just faking?Jonnie

Guest guest

Would I ruffle any feathers if I were to ask for the Wiccan Faith to be explained to me?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

dianic wiccan Jonnie Hellens Sep 1, 2005 11:19 AM Re: Katrina

Jo

-

fraggle

but

its been sinking

Start your day with - make it your home page To send an email to -

Guest guest

Aha! Always more fun when one 'get's the joke.... Dyke... Dike... got it! :)Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Dianic is a form of Wiccan that is for 'wymyn' who don't recognise any male deity (and give the general feeling (to me) of not liking men very much). Wherever the word 'men' comes into anything they spell it 'myn' to distance themselves. Seems a bit myntal to me :-)

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:19 PM

Jo

-

fraggle

but

its been sinking

Start your day with - make it your home page Jonnie