IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Gail Whelan's and her dogs are being harrassed and must move

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't normally cross post messages such as this on Vegetarian Network of Dallas, but I know Gail Whelan to have run a superior rescue for years. See details of Gail's plight in her below email.

If you can help her in any way, please contact Gail directly at:

"'Gail F Whelan'" gfwhelan or 214-969-4831

I know everyone knows not to email Gail simply to express sympathy as this is her work email. Thanks very much. Margaret

Gail F Whelan [gfwhelan]

I need to find a place to go with all my foster dogs. I realize this is a huge request, but I will be more than happy to live on property in a barn or something similar. I don't need a kitchen. I can handle being without heat, etc. I am pretty resourceful. For the past eight months, someone has been calling animal control regularly and saying my dogs are not vaccinated, have no water or shelter, etc. All of which is ridiculous. DAS has been to my house FIVE times and not once have I received a citation, any recommendations for changing our procedures, etc. The last time there were THREE of them that came out, including the vet for the city, Dr. Thorne (who only took pictures of my laundry).

In December I sent an FOIA letter to DAS requesting information on who is doing this to me. According to one of my attorneys, they had 10 days in which to respond, but never did (typical). I am calling the Attorney General' office today to see what else I can do. Meanwhile, I just cannot handle this anymore. I have taken so much time off work to meet these people and let them inspect, etc. I just can't do it anymore. The saddest thing is that there are dogs chained, starving, being bred in backyards, etc. and nothing is done. Your tax dollars at work. Gail F. WhelanAssistant toKathleen Meyer, Lily

Shanks,D. Kencade Babb and Aundrea L. Gamblegfwhelan214-969-4831 __________________ Gail WhelanAssistant toKathleen Meyer, Lily Shanks,D. Kencade Babb and Aundrea L. Gamblegfwhelan214-969-4831 __==========This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected.====================This e-mail (including any

attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected.==========

It is with great sadness that I bring to you all the truly unfortunate news that Gail Whelan is closing down her wonderful dog rescue group, Companion Animal Network. Through the years, Gail has re-homed over 900 animals, many of them very difficult cases declined by even other rescuers. She is highly respected and highly valued by the DFW rescue community for her undying commitment and impeccable standards.

With the failing economy and her donations (and volunteer base) drying up, Gail has made the decision multiple times in recent years to close Companion Animal Network, but then a few wonderful benefactors rallied support to enable her to keep going each time. However, Gail lost her job in June and has realized that this model is no longer sustainable for her and she no longer has any choice but to close CAN.

So, Gail is rallying the troops one more time for a push to adopt CAN's dogs and pay off their vet bills. When the adoptable dogs find homes, Gail will close CAN, and continue her rescue efforts by fostering or volunteering for others.

Gail has made a huge dent in her vet bill in recent months, and has had several very successful adoptions. And, she has stopped taking in animals. However, around 30 dogs remain. Most are vetted, but there are still a few neuters, surgeries and heartworm treatments to go. Pictured below are several of the 30 dogs that need to find homes immediately. Here is the link to the full list: Companion Animal Network.

Here’s what we’re asking and how you can help: 1.Help NETWORK to spread the word, blog / Facebook /Tweet, etc! Choose three dogs that you think you can market to your friends and family and their friends and family. Pull their additional info and pics off their Petfinder bio (or email Gail for additional info if needed), and start calling and emailing like crazy! For interested adopters, the application is online at Companion Animal Network - Home (note: Gail will perform a vet check and home visit; while the adoption fee is reduced to $100, high standards still apply!).

2.If you can spare any amount, please DONATE. There is a PayPal link on the site: Donate - Companion Animal Network

3.If you would like to help pay the vet bill, call Plano Arapaho Vet Clinic at 972-690-8741. There is a significant balance owed, and more vetting needed. Please let Gail know you donated, so that she can track the money with the vet, and send you a receipt.

4.VOLUNTEER. Transporters and handlers at the weekend events from 11 to 4 are needed. Most of the transport needed is within Dallas proper. The dogs need to be shown at events to get the most exposure.

5.If you want to learn more, call or email Gail: 214-200-6236, can_rescue@.

6.If you know of a legal assistant job in the commercial litigation (contracts or intellectual property arena), please help Gail find a job.

7.If you would like to host a fund raising activity, and have CAN as the donor, Gail would be thrilled. Companion Animal Network - Home. You can also find CAN on Pet Finder.

We know there are a lot of people and animals in need. Gail has used every personal asset over the past 10 years to save so many, and now she is tapped out. If you have questions/concerns, please feel free to contact LK Greer at lkgreer@furtheanimals