IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Study showed saturated fat in coconut oil impaired anti-inflammatory ability of HDL cholesterol

Researchers from the Heart Research Institute in Australia studied the body response from eating meals containing good fats versus bad fats. Participants were fed with meals prepared with either coconut oil (high in "bad" saturated fats) or safflower oil (high in "good" polyunsaturated fats). After only 3 hours, researchers found the participants fed with the coconut meal high in saturated fat had a significantly reduced blood flow due to arteries' reduced ability to expand. After 6 hours, researchers found that the good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol's anti-inflammatory properties had decreased after the saturated coconut meal, but improved after the polyunsaturated safflower meal. The results of this study were published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology in August 2006.

Editor's Note - Saturated Fat is bad, regardless of source.

This study once again shows how good fats may improve body functions while bad fats hamper our health. Despite its extreme high level of saturated fat, coconut oil supporters have been promoting coconut oil as a health food. They claimed that coconut oil can cause weight loss, lower blood cholesterol, and is a germ fighter. It is true the structure of some of the saturated fats in coconut oil is different from other saturated fats, but it is scientifically farfetched to claim it as health food to be eaten every day. Like any other foods, moderation is the key.

Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs and seafood. Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats such as coconut, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Although this study is small, it showed that just one "bad" meal can do damage.

Sue in NJ

Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:24 PM

Re: Re: Question

> Since I don't know the details of the Mac Dougall diet,He has the entire plan outlined for free right on his web site.http://www.drmcdougall.comJust scroll down and I think the link to the "free plan" is on the lefthand side.>However I know that walking 10,000 steps per day was a> critical part of our success and I wonder whether Mac Dougall includes> mandatory exercise.Yes and no. He does suggest an hour of exercise a day, something like"brisk" walking (I always read that "brisk" means apx 3.5 - 4 mph, aspeed my short stubby legs could never achieve for more than a fewseconds even when 30 years younger). But he does also claim that weightloss is possible on his plan without it.Sue in NJ

Guest guest

Any suggestions about how to eat in a restraurant would be appreciated.

Marilee