IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

raw food

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've heard that too, you can get very sick from eating green potatoes

and possibly die.

Wasn't sure if it was an urban legend or not.

Nikki

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Isnt there some minute amount of poison in raw green potatoes?

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

> Gormod o ddim nid yw dda Too much of anything is not good

>

>

Guest guest

LOTS of poison in the green parts of potatoes and the sprouts. Solanine is the poison and the poisoning is called solanum tuberosum.

One just needs to be sure all sprouts have been removed and all the green parts have been removed. The rest of the potato is just fine.

Symptoms:

body as a whole

hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) paralysis shock fever

respiratory

slowed breathing

eyes, ears, nose, and throat

dilated pupils vision changes

gastrointestinal

stomach or abdominal pain vomiting diarrhea

heart and blood vessels:

slow pulse

nervous system:

headache delirium loss of sensation hallucinationsLynda

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:28 PM

Re: Re: Raw Food

Isnt there some minute amount of poison in raw green potatoes?

The Valley Vegan................

Gormod o ddim nid yw dda Too much of anything is not good Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

When Peter was about five one of his friends used to eat raw potatoes. Shewould wait for them to be peeled and then sit there munching them.Jowhile, I am trying to incorporate more raw food into my diet.it makes sense that the less processed, the more nutrients somethinghas got.howerver, it isn't feasable, for me to go entirely raw,being that I love roots. yams, potatoes, and beans, rice, too much.and they have valid nutrients when cooked.I dont' see how one could possible eat those raw. , ank_art wrote:> i've seen a bunch of articles about raw food lately -- soon to be anew trend maybe?> there's a raw food restaurant in nyc called "pure food and wine"..they opened last year and apparently are doing great business... themenu is on their website www.purefoodandwine.com -- pricey and gourmet-- i went a few months ago and dragged a meat-eating friend along...itwas one of the absolute best meals i've ever had! my friend expectedsome nasty tofu-laden goulash, but was totally impressed and more thanwilling to go back>> "zurumato@e..." wrote:>> http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/strahl.html> The End of Cooking: Is a Raw Food Diet the Key to Health, Happinessand a Long Life?> By Lynda Strahl>>> My new neighbors, Douglas and Marcia, recently invited me to dinner.After assuring me that the menu would accord with my vegan principles,they proceeded to dish up the most delicious-and unusual-meal to passmy lips in a very long time.>> For openers, they served a delectable chilled watercress soup. Itwas creamy and flavorsome, and I can taste it still. Then came themain attraction, a mock meat loaf, made o f a gorgeous mixture ofPortobello mushrooms and almonds. The supporting cast consisted ofsome interesting looking vegetables, one of which I took at first tobe spaghetti but which turned out to be made of shreds of butternutsquash with a light garlic dressing. Believe me, it tasted a good dealbetter than it sounds.>> There was also a scrumptious salad that would have made a satisfyingmeal in itself. And for dessert, my hosts served a grade A apple andwalnut cobbler-vastly superior to anything of that genre I have evermade myself.>> It was only when I was sitting back, feeling replete from thissplendid repast, that the truth sank in. Everything we had eaten hadbeen raw. Not a single item had ever made the acquaintance of askillet, saucepan, roasting tin or dutch oven. What's more, it emergedthat my hosts only ate raw food. They eschewed all forms of boiling,broiling, frying, roasting, baking, stewing and related activities.>> Douglas and Marcia were raw foodists-or, as they preferred to beknown, living foodists.>> Why Would Anyone Want to Eat Like That?> It didn't take much prompting to get Marcia to expound on thethinking behind this unusual regime. "It's quite simple," sheexplained. "Cooking destroys or degrades most of the nutrients in thefood, especially protein. Most of it is either completely destroyed orrendered useless by prolonged exposure to heat. Cooking also robs yourfood of its enzymes, plus most of its vitamins." Her conclusion:"Going raw is the only way to get the full nutritional benefit of whatyou eat.">> This gave me pause. What she said seemed to make sense. But how didshe explain all those folks like me, who take care to eat a sensibleand balanced diet, manage to get our full ration of nutrients, and doso without shunning the stove? If a raw food diet is so wonder ful, howcome I, for one, manage to keep healthy without it?>> "It's a matter of degree," chipped in Douglas. "You're healthybecause you are a vegan. Think how much healthier you would be if youwere a living food vegan.">> "And then there's the enzyme question," said Marcia, warming to herthesis. "The fact is that every type of food naturally containsexactly the right mix of enzymes needed for that food to be digested.Heating food above a certain temperature kills the enzymes, whichmeans that our bodies have to generate the enzymes they need to digestthe food in question.>> "But the body is simply not equipped to produce the exactcombination of enzymes you need to digest every kind of food. So thestuff takes longer to break down; it clogs up your intestinal tractand it takes longer to pass through your system.>> "There's also a belief that we only produce a finite amount ofenzym es in our lifetime, and the faster we run out of them, the morerapid the aging process will be. So there you are: Avoiding cookedfood will keep you young.">> She certainly scored a home run with that last point. I knew myhosts were both approaching the swamplands of middle age, yet theylooked no older than the average college sophomore. If only the samecould be said for this humble reporter.>> In full flow now, Marcia went on to talk about how cooking alsoclobbers many of the vitamins contained in our daily fare. About halfof B vitamins are lost as a result of heat, as is some 80 percent ofvitamin C, she said. It's true that in most cases, you would need tocook the foods at high temperatures or for long periods before youlose that much of the good stuff, but unfortunately that happensrather often with the typical dishes most of us throw down our gullets.>> But Wait, It Gets Worse> As if al l this wasn't depressing enough, Douglas went on to say thatcooking can actually make food toxic. "Heating fats is especially badbecause it generates free radicals, and you know how nasty they are."(For those of you who don't, free radicals are unstable moleculesbelieved to cause tissue damage at the cellular level and thought toincrease the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and age-relatedillnesses.) "Cooked food can also lead to a weakening of the immunesystem and therefore an inability to fight infections," he addedenthusiastically.>> "There's another point Douglas forgot to mention," said Marcia, withthe air of one poised to deliver the clinching argument. "Washing thedishes is a heck of a lot easier with a living food diet. We neverhave to contend with large oven dishes loaded with burnt-on grease.">> So What are We to do?> I came away from my neighbors' house feeling good about the meal Ih ad eaten, but uncertain about the arguments they had expounded sofervently.>> Ten years ago I struggled hard to become a vegetarian. It was aradical move for me, and one which needed a lot of adjusting to. Sixyears later, I went through a similar period of turmoil when I turnedvegan. Douglas and Marcia were halfway to convincing me of the justiceof their cause. But I felt that becoming a living foodist would be onelifestyle change too many for me.>> Since that evening, I have read up on the subject and talked topeople who know more about these things than I do. But I'm still notfully convinced.>> One friend, a professional nutritionist, told me that raw foodregimes do tend to be healthy, but mainly because they are generallylow in fat and high in fiber. But so is a balanced vegan diet likemine. My friend went on to say that the benefits of going raw arepartly offset by the fact that it lim its the types of foods you eatand deprives you of certain important nutrients. He singled out ironand calcium as possibly being problematic in that regard.>> And then there's the question of variety. Douglas and Marcia areboth excellent cooks and could probably turn a clump of nettles into atasty dish. (In fact, I feel sure they have.) But what about mereculinary mortals like me? I doubt that I could serve up appetizinglunches and dinners day after day in a stove-free environment. Andthink how much harder it would be for a living food homemaker, with ahouse full of hungry little living foodists to keep fed and happy.>> It's true that there are some excellent raw food recipe books on themarket, full of ideas for tasty uncooked meals. But I'm not sure theywould provide enough recipes to keep my taste buds happy in the longerterm.>> Meet Me Part Way> It seems to me that a sensible compromise is in order here. I'm notprepared to go cold turkey and give up cooked food completely, but Ihave resolved to increase the proportion of raw food in my diet. Thatseems like an easy thing to do. After all, I have no problem inchoosing a side salad in place of a cooked vegetable to accompany mymeal. Why not take that idea just a little further?>> For example, how about continuing to eat soups and stews, but addinga sprinkling of shredded carrot, chopped broccoli or sliced mushroomsjust before serving up? Or what about boiling and mashing yourpotatoes as you have always done, but mashing in a handful of alfalfasprouts before it reaches the table? And of course you can add nutsand seeds to just about anything edible.>> While most us might find it too difficult to go completely raw, wecan surely all benefit by finding ways of eating more raw foodswhenever the opportunity arises. Just remember to take it graduallyand keep it balanced.>> Lynda Strahl is a freelance journalist, based in Seattle. Two greatresources for exploring living foods are Living Cuisine: The Art andSpirit of Raw Foods by Renée Loux Underkoffler (Avery) and The SunfoodDiet Success System by David Wolfe (Maul Brothers).>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >>>>

Guest guest

good point.

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> If one isn't eating organic, I won't touch a raw diet with a ten

foot pole.

> At least a good % of the pesticides and other " harmful " chemicals

end up

> washed away from blanching, etc. in canned, frozen and other

packaged goods.

>

> Lynda

> -

> " Anouk Sickler " <zurumato@e...>

>

> Friday, September 30, 2005 11:57 AM

> Re: Raw Food

>

>

> > while, I am trying to incorporate more raw food into my diet.

> > it makes sense that the less processed, the more nutrients something

> > has got.

> > howerver, it isn't feasable, for me to go entirely raw,

> > being that I love roots. yams, potatoes, and beans, rice, too much.

> > and they have valid nutrients when cooked.

> > I dont' see how one could possible eat those raw.

Guest guest

I'm confused... are you talking about a certain kind of potato -- or just the unripe part of most kinds?

i bought some tiny purple potatoes yesterday for the first time -- grated some today and was surprised at the beautiful color! also saw french red fingerlings and russian banana potatoes -- never had these -- it's a whole new spud-world out there!Lynda <lurine wrote:

LOTS of poison in the green parts of potatoes and the sprouts. Solanine is the poison and the poisoning is called solanum tuberosum.

One just needs to be sure all sprouts have been removed and all the green parts have been removed. The rest of the potato is just fine.

Symptoms:

body as a whole

respiratory

slowed breathing

gastrointestinal

heart and blood vessels:

slow pulse

nervous system:

-

peter hurd

Gormod o ddim nid yw dda Too much of anything is not good Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

When Peter was about five one of his friends used to eat raw potatoes. Shewould wait for them to be peeled and then sit there munching them.Jowhile, I am trying to incorporate more raw food into my diet.it makes sense that the less processed, the more nutrients somethinghas got.howerver, it isn't feasable, for me to go entirely raw,being that I love roots. yams, potatoes, and beans, rice, too much.and they have valid nutrients when cooked.I dont' see how one could possible eat those raw. , ank_art wrote:> i've seen a bunch of articles about raw food lately -- soon to be anew trend maybe?> there's a raw food restaurant in nyc called "pure food and wine"..they opened last year and apparently are doing great business... themenu is on their website

www.purefoodandwine.com -- pricey and gourmet-- i went a few months ago and dragged a meat-eating friend along...itwas one of the absolute best meals i've ever had! my friend expectedsome nasty tofu-laden goulash, but was totally impressed and more thanwilling to go back>> "zurumato@e..." wrote:>> http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/strahl.html> The End of Cooking: Is a Raw Food Diet the Key to Health, Happinessand a Long Life?> By Lynda Strahl>>> My new neighbors, Douglas and Marcia, recently invited me to dinner.After assuring me that the menu would accord with my vegan principles,they proceeded to dish up the most delicious-and unusual-meal to passmy lips in a very long time.>> For openers, they served a delectable chilled watercress soup. Itwas creamy and flavorsome, and I can taste it still. Then came themain attraction, a mock meat loaf, made o f a

gorgeous mixture ofPortobello mushrooms and almonds. The supporting cast consisted ofsome interesting looking vegetables, one of which I took at first tobe spaghetti but which turned out to be made of shreds of butternutsquash with a light garlic dressing. Believe me, it tasted a good dealbetter than it sounds.>> There was also a scrumptious salad that would have made a satisfyingmeal in itself. And for dessert, my hosts served a grade A apple andwalnut cobbler-vastly superior to anything of that genre I have evermade myself.>> It was only when I was sitting back, feeling replete from thissplendid repast, that the truth sank in. Everything we had eaten hadbeen raw. Not a single item had ever made the acquaintance of askillet, saucepan, roasting tin or dutch oven. What's more, it emergedthat my hosts only ate raw food. They eschewed all forms of boiling,broiling, frying, roasting, baking, stewing and

related activities.>> Douglas and Marcia were raw foodists-or, as they preferred to beknown, living foodists.>> Why Would Anyone Want to Eat Like That?> It didn't take much prompting to get Marcia to expound on thethinking behind this unusual regime. "It's quite simple," sheexplained. "Cooking destroys or degrades most of the nutrients in thefood, especially protein. Most of it is either completely destroyed orrendered useless by prolonged exposure to heat. Cooking also robs yourfood of its enzymes, plus most of its vitamins." Her conclusion:"Going raw is the only way to get the full nutritional benefit of whatyou eat.">> This gave me pause. What she said seemed to make sense. But how didshe explain all those folks like me, who take care to eat a sensibleand balanced diet, manage to get our full ration of nutrients, and doso without shunning the stove? If a raw food diet is so wonder ful,

howcome I, for one, manage to keep healthy without it?>> "It's a matter of degree," chipped in Douglas. "You're healthybecause you are a vegan. Think how much healthier you would be if youwere a living food vegan.">> "And then there's the enzyme question," said Marcia, warming to herthesis. "The fact is that every type of food naturally containsexactly the right mix of enzymes needed for that food to be digested.Heating food above a certain temperature kills the enzymes, whichmeans that our bodies have to generate the enzymes they need to digestthe food in question.>> "But the body is simply not equipped to produce the exactcombination of enzymes you need to digest every kind of food. So thestuff takes longer to break down; it clogs up your intestinal tractand it takes longer to pass through your system.>> "There's also a belief that we only produce a finite amount ofenzym es in

our lifetime, and the faster we run out of them, the morerapid the aging process will be. So there you are: Avoiding cookedfood will keep you young.">> She certainly scored a home run with that last point. I knew myhosts were both approaching the swamplands of middle age, yet theylooked no older than the average college sophomore. If only the samecould be said for this humble reporter.>> In full flow now, Marcia went on to talk about how cooking alsoclobbers many of the vitamins contained in our daily fare. About halfof B vitamins are lost as a result of heat, as is some 80 percent ofvitamin C, she said. It's true that in most cases, you would need tocook the foods at high temperatures or for long periods before youlose that much of the good stuff, but unfortunately that happensrather often with the typical dishes most of us throw down our gullets.>> But Wait, It Gets Worse> As if al l this

wasn't depressing enough, Douglas went on to say thatcooking can actually make food toxic. "Heating fats is especially badbecause it generates free radicals, and you know how nasty they are."(For those of you who don't, free radicals are unstable moleculesbelieved to cause tissue damage at the cellular level and thought toincrease the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and age-relatedillnesses.) "Cooked food can also lead to a weakening of the immunesystem and therefore an inability to fight infections," he addedenthusiastically.>> "There's another point Douglas forgot to mention," said Marcia, withthe air of one poised to deliver the clinching argument. "Washing thedishes is a heck of a lot easier with a living food diet. We neverhave to contend with large oven dishes loaded with burnt-on grease.">> So What are We to do?> I came away from my neighbors' house feeling good about the meal Ih ad

eaten, but uncertain about the arguments they had expounded sofervently.>> Ten years ago I struggled hard to become a vegetarian. It was aradical move for me, and one which needed a lot of adjusting to. Sixyears later, I went through a similar period of turmoil when I turnedvegan. Douglas and Marcia were halfway to convincing me of the justiceof their cause. But I felt that becoming a living foodist would be onelifestyle change too many for me.>> Since that evening, I have read up on the subject and talked topeople who know more about these things than I do. But I'm still notfully convinced.>> One friend, a professional nutritionist, told me that raw foodregimes do tend to be healthy, but mainly because they are generallylow in fat and high in fiber. But so is a balanced vegan diet likemine. My friend went on to say that the benefits of going raw arepartly offset by the fact that it lim its the

types of foods you eatand deprives you of certain important nutrients. He singled out ironand calcium as possibly being problematic in that regard.>> And then there's the question of variety. Douglas and Marcia areboth excellent cooks and could probably turn a clump of nettles into atasty dish. (In fact, I feel sure they have.) But what about mereculinary mortals like me? I doubt that I could serve up appetizinglunches and dinners day after day in a stove-free environment. Andthink how much harder it would be for a living food homemaker, with ahouse full of hungry little living foodists to keep fed and happy.>> It's true that there are some excellent raw food recipe books on themarket, full of ideas for tasty uncooked meals. But I'm not sure theywould provide enough recipes to keep my taste buds happy in the longerterm.>> Meet Me Part Way> It seems to me that a sensible compromise is in

order here. I'm notprepared to go cold turkey and give up cooked food completely, but Ihave resolved to increase the proportion of raw food in my diet. Thatseems like an easy thing to do. After all, I have no problem inchoosing a side salad in place of a cooked vegetable to accompany mymeal. Why not take that idea just a little further?>> For example, how about continuing to eat soups and stews, but addinga sprinkling of shredded carrot, chopped broccoli or sliced mushroomsjust before serving up? Or what about boiling and mashing yourpotatoes as you have always done, but mashing in a handful of alfalfasprouts before it reaches the table? And of course you can add nutsand seeds to just about anything edible.>> While most us might find it too difficult to go completely raw, wecan surely all benefit by finding ways of eating more raw foodswhenever the opportunity arises. Just remember to take it

graduallyand keep it balanced.>> Lynda Strahl is a freelance journalist, based in Seattle. Two greatresources for exploring living foods are Living Cuisine: The Art andSpirit of Raw Foods by Renée Loux Underkoffler (Avery) and The SunfoodDiet Success System by David Wolfe (Maul Brothers).>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >>>>

Guest guest

All kinds of potatoes. Potatoes that are grown too close to the surface and get sunlight develop chlorofil (green spots) on the skin and slightly below the skin. It is hard to see on some of the colored potatoes. You can cut it off and the potatoes are fine. If there are sprouts on the potatoes these have to be taken off also.

Lynda

-

ank_art

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:02 AM

I'm confused... are you talking about a certain kind of potato -- or just the unripe part of most kinds?

i bought some tiny purple potatoes yesterday for the first time -- grated some today and was surprised at the beautiful color! also saw french red fingerlings and russian banana potatoes -- never had these -- it's a whole new spud-world out there!Lynda <lurine wrote:

Symptoms:

body as a whole

respiratory

slowed breathing

gastrointestinal

heart and blood vessels:

slow pulse

nervous system:

-

peter hurd

When Peter was about five one of his friends used to eat raw potatoes. Shewould wait for them to be peeled and then sit there munching them.Jowhile, I am trying to incorporate more raw food into my diet.it makes sense that the less processed, the more nutrients somethinghas got.howerver, it isn't feasable, for me to go entirely raw,being that I love roots. yams, potatoes, and beans, rice, too much.and they have valid nutrients when cooked.I dont' see how one could possible eat those raw. , ank_art wrote:> i've seen a bunch of articles about raw food lately -- soon to be anew trend maybe?> there's a raw food restaurant in nyc called "pure food and wine"..they opened last year and apparently are doing great business... themenu is on their website www.purefoodandwine.com -- pricey and gourmet-- i went a few months ago and dragged a meat-eating friend along...itwas one of the absolute best meals i've ever had! my friend expectedsome nasty tofu-laden goulash, but was totally impressed and more thanwilling to go back>> "zurumato@e..." wrote:>> http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/strahl.html> The End of Cooking: Is a Raw Food Diet the Key to Health, Happinessand a Long Life?> By Lynda Strahl>>> My new neighbors, Douglas and Marcia, recently invited me to dinner.After assuring me that the menu would accord with my vegan principles,they proceeded to dish up the most delicious-and unusual-meal to passmy lips in a very long time.>> For openers, they served a delectable chilled watercress soup. Itwas creamy and flavorsome, and I can taste it still. Then came themain attraction, a mock meat loaf, made o f a gorgeous mixture ofPortobello mushrooms and almonds. The supporting cast consisted ofsome interesting looking vegetables, one of which I took at first tobe spaghetti but which turned out to be made of shreds of butternutsquash with a light garlic dressing. Believe me, it tasted a good dealbetter than it sounds.>> There was also a scrumptious salad that would have made a satisfyingmeal in itself. And for dessert, my hosts served a grade A apple andwalnut cobbler-vastly superior to anything of that genre I have evermade myself.>> It was only when I was sitting back, feeling replete from thissplendid repast, that the truth sank in. Everything we had eaten hadbeen raw. Not a single item had ever made the acquaintance of askillet, saucepan, roasting tin or dutch oven. What's more, it emergedthat my hosts only ate raw food. They eschewed all forms of boiling,broiling, frying, roasting, baking, stewing and related activities.>> Douglas and Marcia were raw foodists-or, as they preferred to beknown, living foodists.>> Why Would Anyone Want to Eat Like That?> It didn't take much prompting to get Marcia to expound on thethinking behind this unusual regime. "It's quite simple," sheexplained. "Cooking destroys or degrades most of the nutrients in thefood, especially protein. Most of it is either completely destroyed orrendered useless by prolonged exposure to heat. Cooking also robs yourfood of its enzymes, plus most of its vitamins." Her conclusion:"Going raw is the only way to get the full nutritional benefit of whatyou eat.">> This gave me pause. What she said seemed to make sense. But how didshe explain all those folks like me, who take care to eat a sensibleand balanced diet, manage to get our full ration of nutrients, and doso without shunning the stove? If a raw food diet is so wonder ful, howcome I, for one, manage to keep healthy without it?>> "It's a matter of degree," chipped in Douglas. "You're healthybecause you are a vegan. Think how much healthier you would be if youwere a living food vegan.">> "And then there's the enzyme question," said Marcia, warming to herthesis. "The fact is that every type of food naturally containsexactly the right mix of enzymes needed for that food to be digested.Heating food above a certain temperature kills the enzymes, whichmeans that our bodies have to generate the enzymes they need to digestthe food in question.>> "But the body is simply not equipped to produce the exactcombination of enzymes you need to digest every kind of food. So thestuff takes longer to break down; it clogs up your intestinal tractand it takes longer to pass through your system.>> "There's also a belief that we only produce a finite amount ofenzym es in our lifetime, and the faster we run out of them, the morerapid the aging process will be. So there you are: Avoiding cookedfood will keep you young.">> She certainly scored a home run with that last point. I knew myhosts were both approaching the swamplands of middle age, yet theylooked no older than the average college sophomore. If only the samecould be said for this humble reporter.>> In full flow now, Marcia went on to talk about how cooking alsoclobbers many of the vitamins contained in our daily fare. About halfof B vitamins are lost as a result of heat, as is some 80 percent ofvitamin C, she said. It's true that in most cases, you would need tocook the foods at high temperatures or for long periods before youlose that much of the good stuff, but unfortunately that happensrather often with the typical dishes most of us throw down our gullets.>> But Wait, It Gets Worse> As if al l this wasn't depressing enough, Douglas went on to say thatcooking can actually make food toxic. "Heating fats is especially badbecause it generates free radicals, and you know how nasty they are."(For those of you who don't, free radicals are unstable moleculesbelieved to cause tissue damage at the cellular level and thought toincrease the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and age-relatedillnesses.) "Cooked food can also lead to a weakening of the immunesystem and therefore an inability to fight infections," he addedenthusiastically.>> "There's another point Douglas forgot to mention," said Marcia, withthe air of one poised to deliver the clinching argument. "Washing thedishes is a heck of a lot easier with a living food diet. We neverhave to contend with large oven dishes loaded with burnt-on grease.">> So What are We to do?> I came away from my neighbors' house feeling good about the meal Ih ad eaten, but uncertain about the arguments they had expounded sofervently.>> Ten years ago I struggled hard to become a vegetarian. It was aradical move for me, and one which needed a lot of adjusting to. Sixyears later, I went through a similar period of turmoil when I turnedvegan. Douglas and Marcia were halfway to convincing me of the justiceof their cause. But I felt that becoming a living foodist would be onelifestyle change too many for me.>> Since that evening, I have read up on the subject and talked topeople who know more about these things than I do. But I'm still notfully convinced.>> One friend, a professional nutritionist, told me that raw foodregimes do tend to be healthy, but mainly because they are generallylow in fat and high in fiber. But so is a balanced vegan diet likemine. My friend went on to say that the benefits of going raw arepartly offset by the fact that it lim its the types of foods you eatand deprives you of certain important nutrients. He singled out ironand calcium as possibly being problematic in that regard.>> And then there's the question of variety. Douglas and Marcia areboth excellent cooks and could probably turn a clump of nettles into atasty dish. (In fact, I feel sure they have.) But what about mereculinary mortals like me? I doubt that I could serve up appetizinglunches and dinners day after day in a stove-free environment. Andthink how much harder it would be for a living food homemaker, with ahouse full of hungry little living foodists to keep fed and happy.>> It's true that there are some excellent raw food recipe books on themarket, full of ideas for tasty uncooked meals. But I'm not sure theywould provide enough recipes to keep my taste buds happy in the longerterm.>> Meet Me Part Way> It seems to me that a sensible compromise is in order here. I'm notprepared to go cold turkey and give up cooked food completely, but Ihave resolved to increase the proportion of raw food in my diet. Thatseems like an easy thing to do. After all, I have no problem inchoosing a side salad in place of a cooked vegetable to accompany mymeal. Why not take that idea just a little further?>> For example, how about continuing to eat soups and stews, but addinga sprinkling of shredded carrot, chopped broccoli or sliced mushroomsjust before serving up? Or what about boiling and mashing yourpotatoes as you have always done, but mashing in a handful of alfalfasprouts before it reaches the table? And of course you can add nutsand seeds to just about anything edible.>> While most us might find it too difficult to go completely raw, wecan surely all benefit by finding ways of eating more raw foodswhenever the opportunity arises. Just remember to take it graduallyand keep it balanced.>> Lynda Strahl is a freelance journalist, based in Seattle. Two greatresources for exploring living foods are Living Cuisine: The Art andSpirit of Raw Foods by Renée Loux Underkoffler (Avery) and The SunfoodDiet Success System by David Wolfe (Maul Brothers).>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >>>>

Guest guest

Yeah, raw beans can be rather, um chewy?Lynda <lurine wrote:

Symptoms:

body as a whole

respiratory

slowed breathing

gastrointestinal

heart and blood vessels:

slow pulse

nervous system:

-

peter hurd

When Peter was about five one of his friends used to eat raw potatoes. Shewould wait for them to be peeled and then sit there munching them.Jowhile, I am trying to incorporate more raw food into my diet.it makes sense that the less processed, the more nutrients somethinghas got.howerver, it isn't feasable, for me to go entirely raw,being that I love roots. yams, potatoes, and beans, rice, too much.and they have valid nutrients when cooked.I dont' see how one could possible eat those raw. , ank_art wrote:> i've seen a bunch of articles about raw food lately -- soon to be anew trend maybe?> there's a raw food restaurant in nyc called "pure food and wine"..they opened last year and apparently are doing great business... themenu is on their website

www.purefoodandwine.com -- pricey and gourmet-- i went a few months ago and dragged a meat-eating friend along...itwas one of the absolute best meals i've ever had! my friend expectedsome nasty tofu-laden goulash, but was totally impressed and more thanwilling to go back>> "zurumato@e..." wrote:>> http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/strahl.html> The End of Cooking: Is a Raw Food Diet the Key to Health, Happinessand a Long Life?> By Lynda Strahl>>> My new neighbors, Douglas and Marcia, recently invited me to dinner.After assuring me that the menu would accord with my vegan principles,they proceeded to dish up the most delicious-and unusual-meal to passmy lips in a very long time.>> For openers, they served a delectable chilled watercress soup. Itwas creamy and flavorsome, and I can taste it still. Then came themain attraction, a mock meat loaf, made o f a

gorgeous mixture ofPortobello mushrooms and almonds. The supporting cast consisted ofsome interesting looking vegetables, one of which I took at first tobe spaghetti but which turned out to be made of shreds of butternutsquash with a light garlic dressing. Believe me, it tasted a good dealbetter than it sounds.>> There was also a scrumptious salad that would have made a satisfyingmeal in itself. And for dessert, my hosts served a grade A apple andwalnut cobbler-vastly superior to anything of that genre I have evermade myself.>> It was only when I was sitting back, feeling replete from thissplendid repast, that the truth sank in. Everything we had eaten hadbeen raw. Not a single item had ever made the acquaintance of askillet, saucepan, roasting tin or dutch oven. What's more, it emergedthat my hosts only ate raw food. They eschewed all forms of boiling,broiling, frying, roasting, baking, stewing and

related activities.>> Douglas and Marcia were raw foodists-or, as they preferred to beknown, living foodists.>> Why Would Anyone Want to Eat Like That?> It didn't take much prompting to get Marcia to expound on thethinking behind this unusual regime. "It's quite simple," sheexplained. "Cooking destroys or degrades most of the nutrients in thefood, especially protein. Most of it is either completely destroyed orrendered useless by prolonged exposure to heat. Cooking also robs yourfood of its enzymes, plus most of its vitamins." Her conclusion:"Going raw is the only way to get the full nutritional benefit of whatyou eat.">> This gave me pause. What she said seemed to make sense. But how didshe explain all those folks like me, who take care to eat a sensibleand balanced diet, manage to get our full ration of nutrients, and doso without shunning the stove? If a raw food diet is so wonder ful,

howcome I, for one, manage to keep healthy without it?>> "It's a matter of degree," chipped in Douglas. "You're healthybecause you are a vegan. Think how much healthier you would be if youwere a living food vegan.">> "And then there's the enzyme question," said Marcia, warming to herthesis. "The fact is that every type of food naturally containsexactly the right mix of enzymes needed for that food to be digested.Heating food above a certain temperature kills the enzymes, whichmeans that our bodies have to generate the enzymes they need to digestthe food in question.>> "But the body is simply not equipped to produce the exactcombination of enzymes you need to digest every kind of food. So thestuff takes longer to break down; it clogs up your intestinal tractand it takes longer to pass through your system.>> "There's also a belief that we only produce a finite amount ofenzym es in

our lifetime, and the faster we run out of them, the morerapid the aging process will be. So there you are: Avoiding cookedfood will keep you young.">> She certainly scored a home run with that last point. I knew myhosts were both approaching the swamplands of middle age, yet theylooked no older than the average college sophomore. If only the samecould be said for this humble reporter.>> In full flow now, Marcia went on to talk about how cooking alsoclobbers many of the vitamins contained in our daily fare. About halfof B vitamins are lost as a result of heat, as is some 80 percent ofvitamin C, she said. It's true that in most cases, you would need tocook the foods at high temperatures or for long periods before youlose that much of the good stuff, but unfortunately that happensrather often with the typical dishes most of us throw down our gullets.>> But Wait, It Gets Worse> As if al l this

wasn't depressing enough, Douglas went on to say thatcooking can actually make food toxic. "Heating fats is especially badbecause it generates free radicals, and you know how nasty they are."(For those of you who don't, free radicals are unstable moleculesbelieved to cause tissue damage at the cellular level and thought toincrease the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and age-relatedillnesses.) "Cooked food can also lead to a weakening of the immunesystem and therefore an inability to fight infections," he addedenthusiastically.>> "There's another point Douglas forgot to mention," said Marcia, withthe air of one poised to deliver the clinching argument. "Washing thedishes is a heck of a lot easier with a living food diet. We neverhave to contend with large oven dishes loaded with burnt-on grease.">> So What are We to do?> I came away from my neighbors' house feeling good about the meal Ih ad

eaten, but uncertain about the arguments they had expounded sofervently.>> Ten years ago I struggled hard to become a vegetarian. It was aradical move for me, and one which needed a lot of adjusting to. Sixyears later, I went through a similar period of turmoil when I turnedvegan. Douglas and Marcia were halfway to convincing me of the justiceof their cause. But I felt that becoming a living foodist would be onelifestyle change too many for me.>> Since that evening, I have read up on the subject and talked topeople who know more about these things than I do. But I'm still notfully convinced.>> One friend, a professional nutritionist, told me that raw foodregimes do tend to be healthy, but mainly because they are generallylow in fat and high in fiber. But so is a balanced vegan diet likemine. My friend went on to say that the benefits of going raw arepartly offset by the fact that it lim its the

types of foods you eatand deprives you of certain important nutrients. He singled out ironand calcium as possibly being problematic in that regard.>> And then there's the question of variety. Douglas and Marcia areboth excellent cooks and could probably turn a clump of nettles into atasty dish. (In fact, I feel sure they have.) But what about mereculinary mortals like me? I doubt that I could serve up appetizinglunches and dinners day after day in a stove-free environment. Andthink how much harder it would be for a living food homemaker, with ahouse full of hungry little living foodists to keep fed and happy.>> It's true that there are some excellent raw food recipe books on themarket, full of ideas for tasty uncooked meals. But I'm not sure theywould provide enough recipes to keep my taste buds happy in the longerterm.>> Meet Me Part Way> It seems to me that a sensible compromise is in

order here. I'm notprepared to go cold turkey and give up cooked food completely, but Ihave resolved to increase the proportion of raw food in my diet. Thatseems like an easy thing to do. After all, I have no problem inchoosing a side salad in place of a cooked vegetable to accompany mymeal. Why not take that idea just a little further?>> For example, how about continuing to eat soups and stews, but addinga sprinkling of shredded carrot, chopped broccoli or sliced mushroomsjust before serving up? Or what about boiling and mashing yourpotatoes as you have always done, but mashing in a handful of alfalfasprouts before it reaches the table? And of course you can add nutsand seeds to just about anything edible.>> While most us might find it too difficult to go completely raw, wecan surely all benefit by finding ways of eating more raw foodswhenever the opportunity arises. Just remember to take it

graduallyand keep it balanced.>> Lynda Strahl is a freelance journalist, based in Seattle. Two greatresources for exploring living foods are Living Cuisine: The Art andSpirit of Raw Foods by Renée Loux Underkoffler (Avery) and The SunfoodDiet Success System by David Wolfe (Maul Brothers).>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >>>>

Guest guest

oh dang that sounds good!Lynda <lurine wrote:

My gramma used take some fresh from the garden, peel them (they weren't Yukon golds but they were yellow, probably some heirloam type), cube them, cube up some cucumbers, chunks of tomato, slices of red onion, some oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, fresh parsley and let them sit in the fridge to get nice and "pickled" and they are yummy!Lynda- "earthstrm" <nikkimackFriday, September 30, 2005 1:19 PM Re: Raw Food> Yucky!>> That's one veggie I cannot eat raw.>> BB> Nikki :)>> , "Jo Cwazy" <heartwork@c...> wrote:>> When Peter was about five one of his friends used to eat raw> potatoes. She>>

would wait for them to be peeled and then sit there munching them.>>>> Jo>>>>>>>>>>>> To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Agreed, naturally LOL Otherwise we'd have to rename this group as the

non-spicy vegetarian, and that might make me cry (and upset a few other

group owners out there as well).

Love, Pat

--- Erin <truepatriot wrote:

> Pat, to answer your question below, I do think it

> is helping me to feel better by eating more raw.

>

> I agree with you on the spices! As much as the

> Natural Hygiene approach to raw foodism, that of

> eating simply and low-fat (vs the tons of nut cheese

> and avocado in the standard version), their critique

> on herbs and spices as irritating and/or toxic just

> doesn't fly with me. ;)

>

>

> -Erin

> www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

>

> ======================

>

> Pat wrote:

>

> ERIN: Yes, Fuhrman would have you about fifty per cent raw,

> wouldn't he, and good for you for making that decision. I

> presume you feel better for it? I'm not a raw foodist myself,

> but I am eating a LOT more raw foods than I have ever done in

> my life before. As for spices, 'Spices heal, spices rock' is

> my motto!!

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

On 4/20/07, Erin <truepatriot wrote:

>

I visited your blog and loved it! I bookmarked it to come back to. I

love all the beautiful photos and it gives me so many new ideas about

what to eat.

What spice(s) did you sprinkle on the cut canteloupe? (in this post:

http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog/2007/03/24/a-day-in-the-life/ ) I just

bought a canteloupe yesterday (and will be eating most or all of it

today) and it hadn't occured to me to put some spices on it.

And I've *got* to try your apple/beet/celery blender soup. I'm always

looking for more blender foods. I'm having avocado/tomato later today.

Do you have a regular blender or one of those VitaMix-type

superpowered blenders? I ask because I always peel apples and tomatoes

when I put them in the blender but I will stop if a regular blender

can handle the skins as well as shown in your photo.

Sparrow

Guest guest

You seemingly addressed this lovely compliment to me :)

> I visited your blog and loved it! . . .

> What spice(s) did you sprinkle on the cut canteloupe? (in this post:

> http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog/2007/03/24/a-day-in-the-life/ )

.. . . .

Hon, I'm not zenpawn - that is Erin, who is also a member

here. And yes, he has great ideas and I love his blog too.

The photographs alone are enough to convert most people

to an at least partially raw vegan diet!!! Good to bookmark!

My blog is far more modest - beanvegan.blogspot.com

It's fat-free, low-salt vegan. The photos usually are blurry,

which I have decided is an art in itself to do consistently.

Love, Pat

----

Dr Patricia Sant

Bean Vegan: http://beanvegan.blogspot.com

Vegan World Cuisine: http://www.care2.com/c2cvegworld

" The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can

they suffer?' " (Jeremy Bentham, 1749-1832)

Guest guest

On 4/20/07, Patricia Sant <drpatsant wrote:

> Hon, I'm not zenpawn - that is Erin, who is also a member

> here.

Sweety, if you look at the first line of my post, it says:

On 4/20/07, Erin <truepatriot wrote:

That is who I was responding to.

> My blog is far more modest - beanvegan.blogspot.com

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Sparrow

Guest guest

> On 4/20/07, Patricia Sant <drpatsant wrote:

> > My blog is far more modest - beanvegan.blogspot.com

On 4/20/07, Sparrow R Jones <sparrowrose wrote:

> I'll check it out. Thanks!

Whoa! Your blog is already in my links and has been for several

months! Pleased to finally meet you.

Sparrow

Guest guest

> Sweety, if you look at the first line of my post, it says:

> On 4/20/07, Erin <truepatriot wrote:

Oh good grief, so it does. It was the next bit:

that somehow I read as being to me - which it was, but

you were quoting Erin responding to me. I really really

REALLY need to slow down and pay more attention!

Thanks for your patience!

Love, Pat (who speaks faster than she thinks sometimes)

Guest guest

Thank you so much for the compliments!

The spices on the cantaloupe were probably

cinnamon and/or chipotle. That's my usual.

My blender is this KitchenAid:

http://snipurl.com/1hggu (Amazon link)

-Erin

www.zenpawn.com/vegblog

, " Sparrow R Jones "

<sparrowrose wrote:

>

> On 4/20/07, Erin <truepatriot wrote:

> >

> > Pat, to answer your question below, I do think it

> > is helping me to feel better by eating more raw.

>

> I visited your blog and loved it! I bookmarked it to come back to. I

> love all the beautiful photos and it gives me so many new ideas

about

> what to eat.

>

> What spice(s) did you sprinkle on the cut canteloupe? (in this post:

> http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog/2007/03/24/a-day-in-the-life/ ) I

just

> bought a canteloupe yesterday (and will be eating most or all of it

> today) and it hadn't occured to me to put some spices on it.

>

> And I've *got* to try your apple/beet/celery blender soup. I'm

always

> looking for more blender foods. I'm having avocado/tomato later

today.

> Do you have a regular blender or one of those VitaMix-type

> superpowered blenders? I ask because I always peel apples and

tomatoes

> when I put them in the blender but I will stop if a regular blender

> can handle the skins as well as shown in your photo.

>

> Sparrow

>

Guest guest

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:56:52PM +0000, fatfree wrote:

> 1a. Raw Food Diet

> Gypsy Gina

> Hi,

>

> I have been thinking about going on a raw food only diet for a while and I

> think I am ready to try it. In reading about it, I have read it is

> recommended to take B vitamins especially B12.

>

> Any raw food only people here? I'd love to hear from you and get ideas for

> recipes.

>

I am currently on a totally raw diet. Went raw for about 3 months

maybe 3 years ago to lose some weight, it only took about 8 weeks

to lose it. Stayed mostly raw, about 90% for 2 more years but this past year I

have

eaten a lot more cooked food including some vegan junk food etc

and have put about 7 lbs back on so I need to lose it. I started

raw again on December 10th and have lost 2 lbs.

I have heaps of recipes, some use a dehyrator, some a juicer, some a food

processor, some all of the above and some simple ones with no equipment needed.

There is a lot of confusion about what is raw, and things like olives we think

are raw but they are not, unless you live where they are grown, they are

pasteurised

for shelf life. Also cashew nuts are heated to remove them from their shells,

but I

do use them in my raw diet.

If you have any questions or want sepcific recipes let me know, there are also

heaps of 'raw' websites out there, easy to find and have hundreds of recipes.

Some ingredients are not available in NZ so I can't use all the recipes and my

dehydrator

is a round one with a central vent hole so I can't put trays and dishes into it

some recipes suggest.

best regards

Lyndsay

--

" As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no

peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot

dwell together " - Isaac Bashevis Singer

" Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are

called medical research " - George Bernard Shaw

'The question is not, can they reason? Nor can they talk? But can they suffer?

Jeremy Bentham.