IndiaDivine.org

oriental pejorative

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Todd -

You should call them. In California we can use titles from both approved and accredited doctoral programs. We can also use the New Mexico doctorate provided we specify it as such.

The state department of education has influence over the capacity of an academic institution to provide a doctoral title. Mass. went so far as to generate regulations preventing the use of the old Ca approved docs. But this is an exception rather than the rule. Ph.D.s in psychotherapy could use the title doc as well as anyone else with regionally accredited doc titles.

Will

In a message dated 12/27/01 1:19:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

> >>>Yes you can if it is one of the programs that was recognized by ca dep of edu or it is by any other recognized institution

> Alon

To All concerned:

I would call the CA board before accepting any of our opinions at face value. I don't think you are right about this.

, " Alon Marcus " <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:

> only if you have a doctorate recognized by a state board, I think. for

> instance, I don't think those with the old OMD's can call themselves

> doctor and neither can someone with a Ph.D in philosophy.

> >>>Yes you can if it is one of the programs that was recognized by ca dep of

edu or it is by any other recognized institution

> Alon

To All concerned:

I would call the CA board before accepting any of our opinions at face

value. I don't think you are right about this.

, " Alon Marcus " <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:

> >>>If an institution is going to be regionally accredited and if you get a Dr

degree I bet you even in Oregon you will be able to call your self a Dr

I know that Alon is definitely wrong about this one. Call the OR Board

to verify.

Unfortunately, this is the truth, or was until recently.

There are practitioners that got their OMD from schools like California

Acupuncture College with much less training than our present master's

degree, and can use it after their names.

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 01:16 PM, 1 wrote:

> , " Alon Marcus " <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:

> > only if you have a doctorate recognized by a state board, I think. 

> for

> > instance, I don't think those with the old OMD's can call themselves

> > doctor and neither can someone with a Ph.D in philosophy.

> > >>>Yes you can if it is one of the programs that was recognized by ca

> dep of edu or it is by any other recognized institution

> > Alon

>

> To All concerned:

>

> I would call the CA board before accepting any of our opinions at face

> value.  I don't think you are right about this.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed

> healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate

> academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety

> of professional services, including board approved online continuing

> education.

>

>

>

>

, " " <zrosenbe@s...> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is the truth, or was until recently.

>

> There are practitioners that got their OMD from schools like California

> Acupuncture College with much less training than our present master's

> degree, and can use it after their names.

I know you can use the title OMD in CA (as long as you also use L.Ac on

all printed publications -- cards, etc.) I am referring to having

patients address you as Doctor So and So. In Oregon, you are not

allowed to do this, as it is considered a misrepresentation. If you

allow patients to call you Doctor,it is assumed by the patient that you

are a licensed physician of some sort (in OR, we have DO's, MD's, ND' s

and DC's). Nurse practitioners, acus, and PA's are expressly forbidden

from using the term Doctor in the conduct of their medical practices,

even if they have a PhD in some other field. The only exception is if

they have a duly granted medical license that confers the use of the

title doctor (such as a chiro). At least that used to be the case, I

have a call into OR to confirm current law.

The CA board told me today that if you have a degree that allows you to

use the title doctor, then you can use it in your practice. However,

they could not comment on what degree actually allows one to use this

title in a medical practice, saying the matter was handled on a case by

case basis. The matter of the OMD is currently being debated by the

board, but the consensus is that you CANNOT use the title Dr. before

your name if all you have is an OMD. If you have a PhD., do so at your

own risk; you may be sanctioned later. Personally, I think it is

deceptive to use the title Dr. in your clinic if you do not have a

bonafide medical doctorate, because patients will assume that you do.

As an example, Dr. Laura Schlesinger, the radio personality, has gotten

a lot of well deserved flak for misleading her callers into thinking

she had a doctorate in psychology when she actually has one in

physiology.

several years ago the board mailed a letter stating that if you do not hold a Dr degree from accredited or Ca dep of education recognized OMD DOM, like the old OMD and DOMs, you can not call your self a Dr.

Miki Shima threatened to sue them and I believe they backed out and now even if you have a OMD from other countries you can call your self that

Alon

-

Thursday, December 27, 2001 3:16 PM

Re: oriental pejorative

, "Alon Marcus" <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:> only if you have a doctorate recognized by a state board, I think. for > instance, I don't think those with the old OMD's can call themselves > doctor and neither can someone with a Ph.D in philosophy. > >>>Yes you can if it is one of the programs that was recognized by ca dep of edu or it is by any other recognized institution> AlonTo All concerned:I would call the CA board before accepting any of our opinions at face value. I don't think you are right about this.ToddChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

I do not see how they can stop you from displaying you title. If you have a Dr in another profession can they tell you not to call yourself a Dr?

Alon

-

Thursday, December 27, 2001 3:18 PM

, "Alon Marcus" <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:> >>>If an institution is going to be regionally accredited and if you get a Dr degree I bet you even in Oregon you will be able to call your self a DrI know that Alon is definitely wrong about this one. Call the OR Board to verify.ToddChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Also boards are not the final word. This is a legal question that one could challenge the board about. I know there is not much challenge going I OR but here in CA we have plenty

Alon

-

Thursday, December 27, 2001 3:18 PM

, "Alon Marcus" <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:> >>>If an institution is going to be regionally accredited and if you get a Dr degree I bet you even in Oregon you will be able to call your self a DrI know that Alon is definitely wrong about this one. Call the OR Board to verify.ToddChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Personally, I think it is deceptive to use the title Dr. in

>>>>That is not true. Physiologist can call them self's Dr. And the word Dr does not mean a western degree for most patient but a medical practioners. I have several PA friends that all the time tell their patient they are not Dr but the patients always say you are my doctor.

Alon

-

Thursday, December 27, 2001 4:24 PM

, "" <zrosenbe@s...> wrote:> Unfortunately, this is the truth, or was until recently.> > There are practitioners that got their OMD from schools like California > Acupuncture College with much less training than our present master's > degree, and can use it after their names.I know you can use the title OMD in CA (as long as you also use L.Ac on all printed publications -- cards, etc.) I am referring to having patients address you as Doctor So and So. In Oregon, you are not allowed to do this, as it is considered a misrepresentation. If you allow patients to call you Doctor,it is assumed by the patient that you are a licensed physician of some sort (in OR, we have DO's, MD's, ND' s and DC's). Nurse practitioners, acus, and PA's are expressly forbidden from using the term Doctor in the conduct of their medical practices, even if they have a PhD in some other field. The only exception is if they have a duly granted medical license that confers the use of the title doctor (such as a chiro). At least that used to be the case, I have a call into OR to confirm current law. The CA board told me today that if you have a degree that allows you to use the title doctor, then you can use it in your practice. However, they could not comment on what degree actually allows one to use this title in a medical practice, saying the matter was handled on a case by case basis. The matter of the OMD is currently being debated by the board, but the consensus is that you CANNOT use the title Dr. before your name if all you have is an OMD. If you have a PhD., do so at your own risk; you may be sanctioned later. Personally, I think it is deceptive to use the title Dr. in your clinic if you do not have a bonafide medical doctorate, because patients will assume that you do. As an example, Dr. Laura Schlesinger, the radio personality, has gotten a lot of well deserved flak for misleading her callers into thinking she had a doctorate in psychology when she actually has one in physiology.ToddChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.