IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

My Oddessey

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house.......nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.......the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches. Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it

right. So I'm ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently it's a fermenting jar, that releases the CO2, etc. What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment.......I think the two go hand in hand.Kelly--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia wrote:Celia B <lady_celia[RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

Cyndi!

So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a quick break and drop a line. <giggles>

Weston A. Price.

I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less, use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse. (If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so deeply ingrained.

You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books, listen to friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything (and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...

End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things (nutritionally speaking). *wink*

(((HUGS)))

--Cee--

Guest guest

Kelly:

I still use soy sauce in moderation and on a rare occasion, black soybeans (due to their low carb count), so it has not been eliminated entirely from my diet. I do go out of my way to avoid it, so no more tofu, which I used to love. (Don't even crave it any more.) Eventually I'll probably eliminate the little bit that's not yet been banned from my kitchen! (Probably after I get done reading the soy alert on the Weston A. Price site...)

Yes, you are so right about there being other--and healthier--sources of protein for those who chose to be vegetarian. Nuts, for one. I consider it one of nature's greatest gifts. I *love* nuts and I am pleased not to have to feel guilty about eating a handful of those delicious little packets of protein and fat!

Like your husband, I'm a Type II diabetic so I avoid breads like the plague, even sourdough. Even though it is much better for me as a diabetic than say, eating another bread, it's still more than my body can handle well. Bread also tends to be a 'trigger' for me and I eat too much when that happens. I play it safe and spend my carbs on vegetables instead. Who ever heard of someone overeating green beans??? LOL! <shrugs shoulders> Just a personal choice...

No I don't ferment vegetables though I do enjoy a little kraut now and then and I LOVE kim chee. Let us know how your expiriments turn out. <smiles>

ADA could mean American Dental Association or American Diabetes Association, but here it was meant to refer to the American Dietetic Association. The last two are just alike though...both recommend WAY too many carbs.

Gotta run. Have a great day!

--C

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 wrote:

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 12:45 PM

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house....... nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.... ...the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches. Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently

it's a fermenting jar, that releases the CO2, etc. What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment. ......I think the two go hand in hand.Kelly--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia > wrote:

Celia B <lady_celia >[RFSL] My OddesseyMonday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

Cyndi!So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a quick break and drop a line. <giggles>Weston A. Price. I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less, use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse. (If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so deeply ingrained. You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books,

listen to friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything (and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things (nutritionally speaking).

*wink*(((HUGS)))--Cee--

Guest guest

Apparently fermented vegy's are essential for weight loss and for type 2 diabetics, and they are apparently easy to make. So that is why it's gonna be our next venture over here. I am eating very healthy and exercising everyday, but yet can't get the scale to budge......I curse having hormone and thyroid issues. Both hubby and I need to lose weight. A friend of mine who is also into Sally Fallon/Weston A. Price and knows more about nutrition, food than anyone I know, told me that I have to get good gut health or I'm not gonna lose any weight, and the way to get good gut health is through fermented foods like kefir and fermented vegy's. We also use a little soy sauce once and a while, but eat a pretty clean diet so we don't get the soy from all the junk food that people eating The Standard American Diet get. I'm

actually gonna look into fermented soy sauce next time I'm at the health food store.Kelly--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia Browne <lady_celia wrote:Celia Browne <lady_celiaRe: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 1:21 PM

Kelly:

I still use soy sauce in moderation and on a rare occasion, black soybeans (due to their low carb count), so it has not been eliminated entirely from my diet. I do go out of my way to avoid it, so no more tofu, which I used to love. (Don't even crave it any more.) Eventually I'll probably eliminate the little bit that's not yet been banned from my kitchen! (Probably after I get done reading the soy alert on the Weston A. Price site...)

Yes, you are so right about there being other--and healthier--sources of protein for those who chose to be vegetarian. Nuts, for one. I consider it one of nature's greatest gifts. I *love* nuts and I am pleased not to have to feel guilty about eating a handful of those delicious little packets of protein and fat!

Like your husband, I'm a Type II diabetic so I avoid breads like the plague, even sourdough. Even though it is much better for me as a diabetic than say, eating another bread, it's still more than my body can handle well. Bread also tends to be a 'trigger' for me and I eat too much when that happens. I play it safe and spend my carbs on vegetables instead. Who ever heard of someone overeating green beans??? LOL! <shrugs shoulders> Just a personal choice...

No I don't ferment vegetables though I do enjoy a little kraut now and then and I LOVE kim chee. Let us know how your expiriments turn out. <smiles>

ADA could mean American Dental Association or American Diabetes Association, but here it was meant to refer to the American Dietetic Association. The last two are just alike though...both recommend WAY too many carbs.

Gotta run. Have a great day!

--C

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 > wrote:

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 >Re: [RFSL] My OddesseyMonday, November 23, 2009, 12:45 PM

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house....... nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.... ...the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches. Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently

it's a fermenting jar, that releases the CO2, etc. What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment. ......I think the two go hand in hand.Kelly--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia > wrote:

Celia B <lady_celia >[RFSL] My OddesseyMonday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

Cyndi!So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a quick break and drop a line. <giggles>Weston A. Price. I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less, use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse. (If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so deeply ingrained. You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books,

listen to friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything (and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things (nutritionally speaking).

*wink*(((HUGS)))--Cee--

Guest guest

Good for you, Cee! I'm so glad your health has improved so much. I'm curious, do you use coconut oil in your diet? Have you heard about magnesium being essential for diabetics?

And thank you for the kind words, that the nicest thing someone has said to me in a long time. :-)

I'm really just passing on things others have been kind enough to pass on to me. My friend Barbara has been a wonderful resource to me for years. Thanks Barbara! :-)

Cyndi

Celia B <lady_celia

Mon, Nov 23, 2009 7:01 am

[RFSL] My Oddessey

Cyndi!

So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a quick break and drop a line. <giggles>

Weston A. Price.

I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less, use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse. (If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so deeply ingrained.

You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books, listen to friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything (and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...

End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things (nutritionally speaking). *wink*

(((HUGS)))

--Cee--

Guest guest

I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister." It supposedly lets you ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

Cyndi

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98

Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:45 am

Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house.......nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.......the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.

Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches.

Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently it's a fermenting jar, that releases the CO2, etc.

What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.

I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment.......I think the two go hand in hand.

Kelly

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia > wrote:

Celia B <lady_celia >

[RFSL] My Oddessey

Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

Cyndi!

Weston A. Price.

(((HUGS)))

--Cee--

Guest guest

You are very welcome Cyndi!

I'm afraid that you know more than me :)

We all are learning. It is maybe a little easier for me because I am foreigner and that is how people live in Europe but still I'm learning about fine tuning my diet and supplements.

Barbara

Good for you, Cee! I'm so glad your health has improved so much. I'm curious, do you use coconut oil in your diet? Have you heard about magnesium being essential for diabetics?

And thank you for the kind words, that the nicest thing someone has said to me in a long time. :-)I'm really just passing on things others have been kind enough to pass on to me. My friend Barbara has been a wonderful resource to me for years. Thanks Barbara! :-)

Cyndi

Guest guest

I'm afraid that such a shortened time will also have much less probiotics than if let it to ferment at the normal pace. Bacteria need time to grow.

Do ou have a link?

Barbara

I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister." It supposedly lets you ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

Cyndi

Guest guest

I have a friend who has "invented" her own version and is going to be selling them. She is in the test phase and they are not available yet. I will be getting one from her before they are available so that I can help her test it. I can't wait. She is an incredibly bright woman and has been a really good teacher. I would have never known about Sally Fallon/Weston A. Price if it was not for her. Kefir has been extremely helpful to us in our household. My daughter had major leaky gut/yeast issues and kefir got it under control. We have not gotten into Kombucha. I'm assuming when you talk about saurkraut you are talking about fermented cabbage, old fashioned way, no vinegar......yes, very good stuff. Kelly--- On Tue, 11/24/09, cyndikrall <cyndikrall

wrote:cyndikrall <cyndikrallRe: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:26 AM

I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister. " It supposedly lets you ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

Cyndi

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 >

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house....... nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.... ...the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.

Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches.

Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently it's a fermenting jar, that releases the CO2, etc.

What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.

I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment. ......I think the two go hand in hand.

Kelly

Celia B <lady_celia >

[RFSL] My Oddessey

Cyndi!

Weston A. Price.

(((HUGS)))

--Cee--

Guest guest

I'm thinking it's 4 days minimum, but I could be wrong.Kelly--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Barbara <barbara3 wrote:Barbara <barbara3Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:37 AM

I'm afraid that such a shortened time will also have much less probiotics than if let it to ferment at the normal pace. Bacteria need time to grow.

Do ou have a link?

Barbara

I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister. " It supposedly lets you ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

Cyndi

Guest guest

Yep, we all are constantly learning. That's why we're all here!

Cyndi

Barbara <barbara3

Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:30 pm

We all are learning. It is maybe a little easier for me because I am foreigner and that is how people live in Europe but still I'm learning about fine tuning my diet and supplements.

Barbara

And thank you for the kind words, that the nicest thing someone has said to me in a long time. :-)

I'm really just passing on things others have been kind enough to pass on to me. My friend Barbara has been a wonderful resource to me for years. Thanks Barbara! :-)

Cyndi

Guest guest

Here's a link to one site that sells it:

http://www.simply-natural.biz/Picklemeister.php

That's a good point, but even on other groups that I belong to that talk about brewing sauerkraut, they talk about it being done in a relatively short time. I'll consult Wild Fermentation and see what they have to say about it.

Cyndi

Barbara <barbara3

Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Do ou have a link?

Barbara

Cyndi

Guest guest

Cool, let us know how her invention works for you. :-)

Yes, the traditional kind of sauerkraut, made with cabbage, salt and water.

Cyndi

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98

Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:48 pm

I have a friend who has "invented" her own version and is going to be selling them. She is in the test phase and they are not available yet. I will be getting one from her before they are available so that I can help her test it. I can't wait. She is an incredibly bright woman and has been a really good teacher. I would have never known about Sally Fallon/Weston A. Price if it was not for her. Kefir has been extremely helpful to us in our household. My daughter had major leaky gut/yeast issues and kefir got it under control. We have not gotten into Kombucha. I'm assuming when you talk about saurkraut you are talking about fermented cabbage, old fashioned way, no vinegar......yes, very good stuff.

Kelly

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com <cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com> wrote:

cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com <cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com>

Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:26 AM

Cyndi

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 >

We have cut out almost all soy too in our house....... nasty stuff, and it's in everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been suckered.... ...the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.

I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc. Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the environment. ......I think the two go hand in hand.

Kelly

Celia B <lady_celia >

[RFSL] My Oddessey

Cyndi!

Weston A. Price.

(((HUGS)))

--Cee--

Guest guest

Do you know if cooking sauerkraut kills the "good guys-probiotics-whatever"? I'd think it would. My MIL (also a diabetic) eats few veggies. She like sauerkraut cooked. She's also recovering from c-diff (a horrible intestinal bug). Her idea of healthy food is mac cheese (I kid you not).

Lara

<>

>cyndikrall [cyndikrall]

>11/24/2009 12:26:33 AM

>

>Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey

>

>

>I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister." It supposedly lets you

>ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat

>it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body

>assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very

>good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

>

>Cyndi

>

>

>

>

>Kelly Weyd <kellmar98

>

>Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:45 am

>

>

>

>

>We have cut out almost all soy too in our house.......nasty stuff, and it's in

>everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my

>own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's

>fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want

>to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been

>suckered.......the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy

>to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.

>

>Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have

>your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches.

>

>Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've

>made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm

>ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently it's a fermenting jar,

>that releases the CO2, etc.

>

>What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too

>many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him

>that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and

>little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is

>bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough

>bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.

>

>I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc.

>Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the

>environment.......I think the two go hand in hand.

>Kelly

>

>--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia wrote:

>

>

>Celia B <lady_celia

>[RFSL] My Oddessey

>

>Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

>

>

>

>Cyndi!

>

>So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a

>quick break and drop a line. <giggles>

>

>Weston A. Price.

>

>I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so

>much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer

>it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own

>compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and

>there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less,

>use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my

>carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to

>garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure

>lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm

>in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

>

>When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of

>soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably

>well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my

>body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body

>but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse.

>(If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a

>desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a

>stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so

>deeply ingrained.

>

>You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to

>totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls

>them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is

>better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books, listen to

>friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A

>light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and

>found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no

>longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in

>my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The

>more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything

>(and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...

>

>End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much

>wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no

>place like home, there's no place like home..."

>

>Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things

>(nutritionally speaking). *wink*

>

>(((HUGS)))

>

>--Cee--

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Reply to sender | Reply to group

>Messages in this topic (7)

>

>=== message truncated ===

http://toolbar.Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).http://www.Care2.com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 8 million members!

Guest guest

Barbara:

Having been to Italy recently, it was an eye opening experience to witness first hand the difference between a European and American diet. You read about it and you hear about it, but to LIVE it is something else. (At least when you are used to SAD.) With rare exception of a one Burger King and 2 McDonald's (and I traveled ALL over the country), I did not see fast food places. The Italian equivalent of fast food is what we would call a deli counter here in the states, yet it's different. Always small and mom-and-pop run, everything is fresh and made from scratch, each sandwich a work of art. If you need a mid-day pick-me-up, you can order an espresso in a tiny but real cup that is sipped standing at the counter. (Your sandwich is taken to go unless there are tables nearby.) If that's not enough to satisfy you, you pick up a piece of fresh fruit from a vendor in the town square, often a piece of

watermelon, pineapple or coconut on a multi-tiered tray with a waterfall keeping everything fresh.

Nary a Twinkie in sight. Imagine that! When you have only healthy choices available, you *make* healthy choices, heh-heh. It was refreshing and wonderful to eat "slow food" the entire time I was in Italy.

Ciao!

--Celia--

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Barbara <barbara3 wrote:

Barbara <barbara3Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:30 AM

Barbara

Guest guest

I love hearing stories like this! I wonder what their grocery stores are like there? Always amazes me when you walk the isles here the canned and boxed goods.......and people here are buying up the hamburger helper and canned spagettios like crazy. I myself don't buy that kind of stuff anymore......years ago I sure did, before I started researching food and health. Always blows my mind too how we have fast food restaurants everywhere in America. Does not matter where I travel......there is a McDonald's practically everywhere.Kelly--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Celia Browne <lady_celia wrote:Celia Browne <lady_celiaRe: [RFSL] My OddesseyTo:

Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

Barbara:

Having been to Italy recently, it was an eye opening experience to witness first hand the difference between a European and American diet. You read about it and you hear about it, but to LIVE it is something else. (At least when you are used to SAD.) With rare exception of a one Burger King and 2 McDonald's (and I traveled ALL over the country), I did not see fast food places. The Italian equivalent of fast food is what we would call a deli counter here in the states, yet it's different. Always small and mom-and-pop run, everything is fresh and made from scratch, each sandwich a work of art. If you need a mid-day pick-me-up, you can order an espresso in a tiny but real cup that is sipped standing at the counter. (Your sandwich is taken to go unless there are tables nearby.) If that's not enough to satisfy you, you pick up a piece of fresh fruit from a vendor in the town square, often a piece of

watermelon, pineapple or coconut on a multi-tiered tray with a waterfall keeping everything fresh.

Nary a Twinkie in sight. Imagine that! When you have only healthy choices available, you *make* healthy choices, heh-heh. It was refreshing and wonderful to eat "slow food" the entire time I was in Italy.

Ciao!

--Celia--

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Barbara <barbara3 (AT) tampabay (DOT) rr.com> wrote:

Barbara <barbara3 (AT) tampabay (DOT) rr.com>Re: [RFSL] My OddesseyTuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:30 AM

Barbara

Guest guest

I must admit that I've *intended* to include coconut oil in my diet but have not. I actually bought some but misplaced it in the process of moving; I need to buy some more. I've read a lot about the value of including it in your daily diet and I'm a believer.

No, I had not heard about the magnesium connection. I *do* know about the Vitamin D connection, of which I have a serious deficiency and have to nave it checked every 3 months. Do you have any good in sources I could take a look at about magnesium and diabetes? I can't even remember anymore what foods are good sources of magnesium, LOL.

Thanks, Cyndi!

--C--

P.S. Anyone on this list that uses coconut oil, would you mind sharing how you use it, what you use it in, for, or whatever? TIA

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, cyndikrall <cyndikrall wrote:

cyndikrall <cyndikrallRe: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:06 AM

And thank you for the kind words, that the nicest thing someone has said to me in a long time. :-)I'm really just passing on things others have been kind enough to pass on to me. My friend Barbara has been a wonderful resource to me for years. Thanks Barbara! :-)

Cyndi

Celia B <lady_celia >Mon, Nov 23, 2009 7:01 am[RFSL] My Oddessey

listen to friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything (and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things (nutritionally speaking). *wink*(((HUGS)))--Cee--

Guest guest

Celia,

When I came to the States, I kept my European life style and way of eating. My family never ate anything from cans or other processed foods. Everything was cooked fresh from scratch. I never learned to drink soda pops. To this day I never buy cakes or cookies (have you ever read the list of ingredients? It is enough to scare me from eating that stuff, especially Entenman) I did bake (from scratch) cakes and cookies but that was long time ago. Nowadays I'm on low carb diet. It is surprising to me that Americans live as long as they do on that SAD diet. No offence meant to anyone, please!

Barbara

Barbara:

Having been to Italy recently, it was an eye opening experience to witness first hand the difference between a European and American diet. You read about it and you hear about it, but to LIVE it is something else. (At least when you are used to SAD.) With rare exception of a one Burger King and 2 McDonald's (and I traveled ALL over the country), I did not see fast food places. The Italian equivalent of fast food is what we would call a deli counter here in the states, yet it's different. Always small and mom-and-pop run, everything is fresh and made from scratch, each sandwich a work of art. If you need a mid-day pick-me-up, you can order an espresso in a tiny but real cup that is sipped standing at the counter. (Your sandwich is taken to go unless there are tables nearby.) If that's not enough to satisfy you, you pick up a piece of fresh fruit from a vendor in the town square, often a piece of watermelon, pineapple or coconut on a multi-tiered tray with a waterfall keeping everything fresh.

Ciao!

--Celia--

Guest guest

Kelly:

Most Italian towns and villages have something akin to a really old-fashioned corner grocery store with only 2 or 3 people behind the counter. They have some limited canned and jarred food as well as pasta and olive oil, a deli counter behind which you will find prepared meats and cheeses (salami, pancetta, etc.) and a counter section for fresh meats. You will find nothing frozen and no fresh produce whatsoever. Most shopping is done daily so you are only picking up what you need for dinner. When you are done shopping there, you take your bundle and step next door to the bakery where you pick up a loaf of bread and, occasionally, a small treat. (Their sweets are small, portion controlled and not terribly sweet like American desserts.) After that you step into the town square to pick up your fresh veggies and fruit (again, enough for that day only), you might head home to make

dinner unless you need to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. Wine is served often at meals and there is no legal drinking age. It's not unheard of for children or teens to have a small glass. For whatever reason, alcohol is generally handled in a healthy and matter-of-fact way in Italy, and you just don't see the kind of alcohol abuse there that you see in the US or England.

I did see one true American style "super market" in a large town once, but it was brand new and still small by American standards. It stood out just because it was something you just didn't see everyday over there.

Gotta get back to work. Have a good one!

--C--

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 wrote:

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 10:35 AM

I love hearing stories like this! I wonder what their grocery stores are like there? Always amazes me when you walk the isles here the canned and boxed goods....... and people here are buying up the hamburger helper and canned spagettios like crazy. I myself don't buy that kind of stuff anymore..... .years ago I sure did, before I started researching food and health. Always blows my mind too how we have fast food restaurants everywhere in America. Does not matter where I travel...... there is a McDonald's practically everywhere.Kelly

Guest guest

Barbara, my grandmother was from France and she too never changed her way of eating, even after 75 years in the States. You definitely did not offend me, and I doubt others on this list will be either. You are simply stating a fact...Americans have a poor diet. You are not putting Americans down. We are, for the most part, more enlightened about the dangers of SAD on this list and seek to change our dietary habits, hence no offense taken!

I can't control the kind of food my grandchildren will be exposed to once they are old enough to go to school and over to friend's houses, but luckily for me I am raising them while their parents work so they get only fresh, wholesome 'slow food' from grandma. No junk in this house!!! <smiles>

--Celia--

Barbara <barbara3Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 11:33 AM

Celia,

When I came to the States, I kept my European life style and way of eating. My family never ate anything from cans or other processed foods. Everything was cooked fresh from scratch. I never learned to drink soda pops. To this day I never buy cakes or cookies (have you ever read the list of ingredients? It is enough to scare me from eating that stuff, especially Entenman) I did bake (from scratch) cakes and cookies but that was long time ago. Nowadays I'm on low carb diet. It is surprising to me that Americans live as long as they do on that SAD diet. No offence meant to anyone, please!

Barbara

Barbara:

Ciao!

--Celia--

Guest guest

I do. I use it as a cooking oil because any other oil is not healthy. Olive oil is only marginally healthy. That leaves the CO as the only choice. I also use butter whenever possible because butter is THE healthiest fat there is. In fact, as you all may know, any saturated fat which means of animal origin is protective of your heart, so, very healthy. All vegetable oils are linked to heart disease. Mary Enig PhD has a book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" that explains this perfectly.

Barbara

Thanks, Cyndi!

--C--

P.S. Anyone on this list that uses coconut oil, would you mind sharing how you use it, what you use it in, for, or whatever? TIA

Guest guest

Sounds like my kind of place!!!!Kelly--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Celia Browne <lady_celia wrote:Celia Browne <lady_celiaRe: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:09 PM

Kelly:

Most Italian towns and villages have something akin to a really old-fashioned corner grocery store with only 2 or 3 people behind the counter. They have some limited canned and jarred food as well as pasta and olive oil, a deli counter behind which you will find prepared meats and cheeses (salami, pancetta, etc.) and a counter section for fresh meats. You will find nothing frozen and no fresh produce whatsoever. Most shopping is done daily so you are only picking up what you need for dinner. When you are done shopping there, you take your bundle and step next door to the bakery where you pick up a loaf of bread and, occasionally, a small treat. (Their sweets are small, portion controlled and not terribly sweet like American desserts.) After that you step into the town square to pick up your fresh veggies and fruit (again, enough for that day only), you might head home to make

dinner unless you need to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. Wine is served often at meals and there is no legal drinking age. It's not unheard of for children or teens to have a small glass. For whatever reason, alcohol is generally handled in a healthy and matter-of-fact way in Italy, and you just don't see the kind of alcohol abuse there that you see in the US or England.

I did see one true American style "super market" in a large town once, but it was brand new and still small by American standards. It stood out just because it was something you just didn't see everyday over there.

Gotta get back to work. Have a good one!

--C--

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 > wrote:

Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 >Re: [RFSL] My OddesseyTuesday, November 24, 2009, 10:35 AM

I love hearing stories like this! I wonder what their grocery stores are like there? Always amazes me when you walk the isles here the canned and boxed goods....... and people here are buying up the hamburger helper and canned spagettios like crazy. I myself don't buy that kind of stuff anymore..... .years ago I sure did, before I started researching food and health. Always blows my mind too how we have fast food restaurants everywhere in America. Does not matter where I travel...... there is a McDonald's practically everywhere.Kelly

Guest guest

Yes, once cooked it's not considered a probiotic. Your not talking canned or jarred saurkraut right? Your talking fermented saurkraut? I hear stories like your MIL's all the time. If not willing to eat fermented vegetables, she atleast needs a good quality probiotic.Kelly--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Lara Brown <larabrown wrote:Lara Brown <larabrownRe: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 8:49 AM

Do you know if cooking sauerkraut kills the "good guys-probiotics- whatever" ? I'd think it would. My MIL (also a diabetic) eats few veggies. She like sauerkraut cooked. She's also recovering from c-diff (a horrible intestinal bug). Her idea of healthy food is mac cheese (I kid you not).

Lara

<>

>cyndikrall (AT) aol (DOT) com [cyndikrall@ aol.com]

>11/24/2009 12:26:33 AM

>

>

>

>I've had my eye on something called a "picklemeister. " It supposedly lets you

>ferment sauerkraut and pickles in a very short time. I love sauerkraut and eat

>it (raw) all the time. It's excellent for gut health, and for helping the body

>assimilate fats. I also drink kefir and kombucha. Both are fermented and very

>good for you, if you haven't heard of them already.

>

>Cyndi

>

>

>

>

>Kelly Weyd <kellmar98 >

>

>Mon, Nov 23, 2009 9:45 am

>

>

>

>

>We have cut out almost all soy too in our house....... nasty stuff, and it's in

>everything. I stopped buying bottled salad dressing, and making my

>own........things like that to cut out soy. Soy should not be eaten unless it's

>fermented. I'm also of the belief that people can be vegetarian if they want

>to, and not have to eat soy. I think that's another way people have been

>suckered.... ...the thinking that if they become vegetarian they have to eat soy

>to get protein. Nature has plenty of other protein sources.

>

>Have you tried making your own traditional sourdough bread? You can still have

>your bread, but sourdough breaks down a lot of the sugars and starches.

>

>Also do you ferment your own vegy's? That is my next quest in our house. I've

>made ferments before, but I've never sure if I'm doing it right. So I'm

>ordering a fermenting product to help me. Apparently it's a fermenting jar,

>that releases the CO2, etc.

>

>What is ADA? American Diabetes Association maybe? Yep, they recommend way too

>many carbs. My hubby is diabetic and his own doctor (Endocrynologist) told him

>that it's way too many carbs. My husband does better on meat and vegetables and

>little carbs. He can eat cheese, butter and other fats and be ok, but is

>bread/pasta that makes his sugars go out of control. He can eat my sourdough

>bread in moderation. It does not spike his sugars like regular breads do.

>

>I'm an enviro girl so always nice to hear of people using less, reducing, etc.

>Yes, a more simple lifestyle is best when it comes to diet and the

>environment. ......I think the two go hand in hand.

>Kelly

>

>--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Celia B <lady_celia > wrote:

>

>

>Celia B <lady_celia >

>[RFSL] My Oddessey

>

>Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

>

>

>

>Cyndi!

>

>So much to say, so little time. I'm at work but really excited so had to take a

>quick break and drop a line. <giggles>

>

>Weston A. Price.

>

>I've been on quite an Odyssey the last few years and my life has changed so

>much. Oddly, the farther my life has strayed from its original path, the closer

>it has brought me "home." I no longer have the house, garden, make my own

>compost and recycle everything (I live in a small apartment in the country and

>there *is* no recycling out here!), yet I've reduced and downsized; I eat less,

>use less, consume less, waste less and use resources wisely, thereby reducing my

>carbon impact on this planet. I was originally distressed not to be able to

>garden and what-not, but I truly love my more minimalistic, low pressure

>lifestyle (which also has a lot to do with my current occupation). And since I'm

>in the country, I have access to local farm produce and fresh eggs, so not so bad.

>

>When we first met online years ago, I ate mostly a vegetarian diet with a lot of

>soy products. Wow! Was I ever duped by the ADA, USDA and the agenda of (probably

>well-meaning) animal rights activists into thinking I was doing right by my

>body. How wrong I was! Not only do I now believe soy NOT be good for your body

>but soy products are processed and refined into junk food to nake things worse.

>(If your grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it, LOL!) I've long had a

>desire to get "back to basics" with my diet, but meat and fat continued to be a

>stumbling block for me, as the "low fat is good/meat is bad" message was so

>deeply ingrained.

>

>You encouraged me to check out Weston A. Price and I did, but wasn't ready to

>totally buy into it...yet. I still believed in "good" carbs as the ADA calls

>them and included LOTS of them in my diet. (Hey, if a little is good, a lot is

>better, right??? Wrong.) I continued to search my soul, read books, listen to

>friends and research online, and I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A

>light bulb lit up in my head! I ended up on a low-carb Atkins style diet and

>found myself feeling better, looking better, feeling satiated when I ate and no

>longer gassy, bloated and tired from my "good carb" diet. The increased fat in

>my diet actually made me LOSE weight, haha, and I felt full between meals. The

>more I researched and inquired about this way of eating, the more everything

>(and everybody) kept pointing me back to Weston A. Price...

>

>End of story. I'm back where I started but healthier, happier and much, much

>wiser. As Dorothy said as she clicked her ruby slippers together, "There's no

>place like home, there's no place like home..."

>

>Just want to thank you, Cyndi, for being my guiding light in all things

>(nutritionally speaking). *wink*

>

>(((HUGS)))

>

>--Cee--

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Reply to sender | Reply to group

>Messages in this topic (7)

>

>=== message truncated ===

http://toolbar. Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).http://www.Care2. com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 8 million members!

Guest guest

I tend to use butter in my frying pan, and I only use olive oil for salad dressing. I have used CO in baking and cooking in the past with great success. I do like it in Thai cooking also.

Do you find an advantage to using Co over butter in your frying pan?

--C--

Barbara <barbara3Re: [RFSL] My Oddessey Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:24 PM

I do. I use it as a cooking oil because any other oil is not healthy. Olive oil is only marginally healthy. That leaves the CO as the only choice. I also use butter whenever possible because butter is THE healthiest fat there is. In fact, as you all may know, any saturated fat which means of animal origin is protective of your heart, so, very healthy. All vegetable oils are linked to heart disease. Mary Enig PhD has a book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" that explains this perfectly.

Barbara

Thanks, Cyndi!

--C--

Guest guest

No junk food is very good. Once the kids get used to eating good food, they may elect not to eat junk. Talk to them about the whole foods, you'd be surprised how much you can influence their choices.

My son was about 6 or 7 when we were in the car. We passed WONDER BREAD truck. My son said: Wonder bread...I 'wonder' how do they survive on it...LOL

Barbara

Barbara, my grandmother was from France and she too never changed her way of eating, even after 75 years in the States. You definitely did not offend me, and I doubt others on this list will be either. You are simply stating a fact...Americans have a poor diet. You are not putting Americans down. We are, for the most part, more enlightened about the dangers of SAD on this list and seek to change our dietary habits, hence no offense taken!

I can't control the kind of food my grandchildren will be exposed to once they are old enough to go to school and over to friend's houses, but luckily for me I am raising them while their parents work so they get only fresh, wholesome 'slow food' from grandma. No junk in this house!!! <smiles>

--Celia--

Guest guest

The thing that impresses me also is the WAY Europeans eat, also. People take the time to sit down together and really enjoy their meal. When my husband was in Barcelona, he said everything closed down for the afternoon meal and siesta. No eating in cars, no drive thru's, junk. It's a totally different perception of meal time.

Cyndi

Celia Browne <lady_celia

Tue, Nov 24, 2009 7:15 am

Barbara:

Having been to Italy recently, it was an eye opening experience to witness first hand the difference between a European and American diet. You read about it and you hear about it, but to LIVE it is something else. (At least when you are used to SAD.) With rare exception of a one Burger King and 2 McDonald's (and I traveled ALL over the country), I did not see fast food places. The Italian equivalent of fast food is what we would call a deli counter here in the states, yet it's different. Always small and mom-and-pop run, everything is fresh and made from scratch, each sandwich a work of art. If you need a mid-day pick-me-up, you can order an espresso in a tiny but real cup that is sipped standing at the counter. (Your sandwich is taken to go unless there are tables nearby.) If that's not enough to satisfy you, you pick up a piece of fresh fruit from a vendor in the town square, often a piece of watermelon, pineapple or coconut on a multi-tiered tray with a waterfall keeping everything fresh.

Ciao!

--Celia--

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Barbara <barbara3 (AT) tampabay (DOT) rr.com> wrote:

Barbara <barbara3 (AT) tampabay (DOT) rr.com>

Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:30 AM

Barbara