IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

restless leg syndrome

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang.

Thanks Alon

-

WMorris116

Wednesday, March 21, 2001 6:39 AM

Re: Re: restless leg syndrome

In a message dated 3/20/01 1:31:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, alonmarcus writes:

Lead Surface-Dispersing Medicinals to the Kidneys to disperse deep-lying Latent Qi is a treatment principle that has proven effective in clinical practice. So while the treatment I presented is MSU (Al...making stuff up), it is not far from Liu Baoyi's concept of carrying a surface relieving agent to the interior. >>>>Will can you elaborate more on how and for what cases you use these principals. Alon This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang. I use it when treatment seems to evoke infection-like responses that appear from the interior. I used it for a case with the most peeled tongue I have ever seen. The peeling went away in one week and the patient reported the first relief of that sign in her adult life (fatigue, depression , and malaise resolved). I also use it in autoimmune conditions such as Lupus and MS. Will Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

Alon:

In a message dated 3/21/01 1:55:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, alonmarcus writes:

This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang. I use it when treatment seems to evoke infection-like responses that appear from the interior. I used it for a case with the most peeled tongue I have ever seen. The peeling went away in one week and the patient reported the first relief of that sign in her adult life (fatigue, depression , and malaise

resolved). >>>>Where is the surface dispersing in the formula? do you add these? which usually at what dose. Alon

Qinghao vents heat to the surface. Just as you "use the principle of Liu Wei Di Huang Wan -- not Liu Wei Di Huang Wan" I use the principles of Qinghao Beijia Tang for designing formulas that are suitable for resolving latent heat.

Will

Guest guest

This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang. I use it when treatment seems to evoke infection-like responses that appear from the interior. I used it for a case with the most peeled tongue I have ever seen. The peeling went away in one week and the patient reported the first relief of that sign in her adult life (fatigue, depression , and malaise resolved). >>>>Where is the surface dispersing in the formula? do you add these? which usually at what dose.

Alon

-

WMorris116

Wednesday, March 21, 2001 6:39 AM

Re: Re: restless leg syndrome

In a message dated 3/20/01 1:31:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, alonmarcus writes:

Lead Surface-Dispersing Medicinals to the Kidneys to disperse deep-lying Latent Qi is a treatment principle that has proven effective in clinical practice. So while the treatment I presented is MSU (Al...making stuff up), it is not far from Liu Baoyi's concept of carrying a surface relieving agent to the interior. >>>>Will can you elaborate more on how and for what cases you use these principals. Alon This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang. I use it when treatment seems to evoke infection-like responses that appear from the interior. I used it for a case with the most peeled tongue I have ever seen. The peeling went away in one week and the patient reported the first relief of that sign in her adult life (fatigue, depression , and malaise resolved). I also use it in autoimmune conditions such as Lupus and MS. Will Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

This treatment strategy is the basis of Qing Hao Bie Jia Tang. I use it when treatment seems to evoke infection-like responses that appear from the interior. I used it for a case with the most peeled tongue I have ever seen. The peeling went away in one week and the patient reported the first relief of that sign in her adult life (fatigue, depression , and malaise resolved). >>>>Will you still use it if there is no signs of injured Yin or if there is thicker tongue fur?

Alon

Guest guest

In a message dated 3/22/01 11:13:02 AM Pacific Standard Time, alonmarcus writes:

Will you still use it if there is no signs of injured Yin or if there is thicker tongue fur?

No....but I may use the principle if I detect latent heat (and the process is strictly classical) that has not damged the Yin.

Will

Guest guest

, " Danny Levin " wrote:

> Has anyone treated succecfully a patient with Restless Leg

Syndrome?

> I found some info in Bob flaws site, but i'm interested in first

hand experience. >>>

Dan:

Restless Leg Syndrome is often relative easy to resolve. In the

pulses, at the 4th of 5 depths (using the Nan Jing method), you will

usually see a Wiry movement in the L Middle position going back to

the L proximal position. This is the stress from the liver going

downward and following the deeper muscle meridians into the legs.

You only need to resolve the liver stress and the syndrome should

disappear. You just need to do that in context of the other patterns.

Jim Ramholz

Guest guest

, " Danny Levin " <lvds@n...>

wrote:

> Hi all,

>

> Has anyone treated succecfully a patient with Restless Leg Syndrome?

> I found some info in Bob flaws site, but i'm interested in first

hand

> experience.

>

> Thank You,

> Dan

I would read blue poppy's research report 105 on restless leg

syndrome. Don't inhibit your learning from not giving full attention

to blue poppy material. It is some of the very finest and most up to

date information we have on chinese medicine. I'm not sure what you

mean by first hand experience, but all of the research reports are

functional translations of material in chinese medical journals.

Experience is obviously at the root of all this material.

matt

Guest guest

Jim,

could you please elaborate- what do you mean by resolving the liver stress in context of the other patterns? Eti

, "Danny Levin" wrote:> Has anyone treated succecfully a patient with Restless Leg Syndrome?> I found some info in Bob flaws site, but i'm interested in first hand experience. >>>Dan:Restless Leg Syndrome is often relative easy to resolve. In the pulses, at the 4th of 5 depths (using the Nan Jing method), you will usually see a Wiry movement in the L Middle position going back to the L proximal position. This is the stress from the liver going downward and following the deeper muscle meridians into the legs.You only need to resolve the liver stress and the syndrome should disappear. You just need to do that in context of the other patterns.Jim RamholzChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

, Eti Domb wrote:

> Jim, could you please elaborate--what do you mean by resolving the

liver stress in context of the other patterns? >>>

Eti:

Simply that it actually depends on how otherwise the patient

presents. He didn't say anything about an individual patient, just

the condition; so I mentioned what we often see in these cases that

make the legs restless. A patient could have a variety of zang/fu

patterns, and still show the liver stress going to the legs.

Keep in mind that when you are using the 5-depths method of the Nan

Jing you are looking at types of tissue (see my article for details)

not general zang/fu indications. This model in pulse diagnosis is

one of the first that shifts the pulse perspective from a general

one to a more specific and localized view of what is going on in the

position. Using it (and others) we can start to examine and define

the pathomechanism of the disorder itself.

The syndrome itself often has its own pattern in the pulse. The

liver qi might be stagnant, there could be damp heat there, it could

be blood deficient, or any combination of those problems, etc. What

problem or combination of problems the liver has is actually

secondary to the problem of the legs---although it is still the

root. The fact that the stress (just a general term) moves from the

liver position downward is fairly common in problems dealing with

muscular blockages in the muscles and lymph of the lower jiao and

legs, and circulatory problems of the feet. Instead of saying that

liver is overbearing on an organ, we're saying that it is

overvbearing on a specific type of tissue in a specific location.

The 4th depth has to do with deeper muscles and joints; so a Wiry

movement is involved with tension and spasm in that tissue. If the

problem had to do with a fracture of the bone, for example, you find

that at the 5th depth instead.

IMO, because this pulse model isn't directly connected with herb

formulas as in the SHL and WB, it has become an " orphan theory " in

CM. As far as I can tell only practitioners in the Dong Han system

and the Shen/Hammer actually employ it.

Jim Ramholz

Guest guest

Dan,

I agree - I had a 3rd year med student who was being treated for acne

who also had restless leg syndrome. She had been through wearing

monitors and meds to treat the RLS, but to no avail. I was treating the

acne, but the RLS went away too. I don't remember the exact treatment,

but I do remember some Liv 3 / GB 34 kind of stuff. Needling was a pain

though, since you have to use your free hand to immobilize the limb!

Geoff

> __________

>

> Message: 5

> Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:51:46 -0000

> " James Ramholz " <jramholz

> Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

>

> , " Danny Levin " wrote:

> > Has anyone treated succecfully a patient with Restless Leg

> Syndrome?

> > I found some info in Bob flaws site, but i'm interested in first

> hand experience. >>>

>

>

> Dan:

>

> Restless Leg Syndrome is often relative easy to resolve. In the

> pulses, at the 4th of 5 depths (using the Nan Jing method), you will

> usually see a Wiry movement in the L Middle position going back to

> the L proximal position. This is the stress from the liver going

> downward and following the deeper muscle meridians into the legs.

>

> You only need to resolve the liver stress and the syndrome should

> disappear. You just need to do that in context of the other patterns.

>

>

> Jim Ramholz

Guest guest

Jim, Thank you very much for elaborating on the subject,

it has been very helpful.

Dan

Guest guest

Brenda, my husband sometimes gets " restless leg " after overextending his

activities during the daytime hours. Magnesium helps him relax. We have

Calcium, Magnesium Zinc tablets.

Lou

-

" Brenda " <bsgreenwalt

<herbal remedies >

Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:27 PM

[herbal remedies] Restless Leg Syndrome

> Does anyone know of a herbal remedy for a neurological syndrome

> called Restless Leg Syndrome?

>

> Thanks much,

> Brenda

Guest guest

Panther Piss & Vitamin E.... would be my choice first.

Suzilouherbs wrote:

Brenda, my husband sometimes gets "restless leg" after overextending hisactivities during the daytime hours. Magnesium helps him relax. We haveCalcium, Magnesium Zinc tablets.Lou-"Brenda" Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:27 PM[herbal remedies] Restless Leg Syndrome> Does anyone know of a herbal remedy for a neurological syndrome> called Restless Leg Syndrome?>> Thanks much,> Brenda

Guest guest

--- Brenda <bsgreenwalt wrote:

> Does anyone know of a herbal remedy for a

> neurological syndrome

> called Restless Leg Syndrome?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a sleep related

disorder affecting about 5% of the adult population.

It is worsened by stress. RLS is characterized by leg

discomfort, wierd and/or painful sensations, at the

onset of and during sleep which is only relieved by

frequent movements of the legs, or walking. RLS

symptoms make it difficult to fall asleep, and once

asleep, repeated jerking leg movements occur. Walking

provides relief of symptoms as long as walking

continues. Hard rubbing or massaging legs may offer

some relief, or soaking in a hot bath.

RLS has been linked with alcohol dependence, smoking,

too much caffeine, anemia, RA, and diabetes. Iron

deficiency can preecipate RLS. n iron supplement

and/or folic acid may be taken.

Calcium and magnesium are necessary for nerve and

muscle health. If blood calcium concentrations fall,

the nerves become hypersensitive, resulting in tetany,

a severe muscle spasm. Calcium also affects certain

neurotransmitters like serotonin, which induces sleep,

acetylcholine, which is reponsible for th synaptic gap

at the neuronal level, and norepinephrine, which

regulates mood. Magnesium iss necessary for just

about every biochemical activity in our bodies. A

calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement may be taken.

St John's Wort may be taken to help relax.

Chamomile or peppermint tea may also be beneficial.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet should be first on the

list of priorities. Symptoms of RLS seem to be

worsened by food and drinks that are high in caffeine;

coffee, tea (caffeinated only), and chocolate should

be avoided. Cut back or avoid alcohol.

Moderate exercise can contribute to better sleep

habits.

Some people get relief from yoga or meditation.

Hope this helps!

....windflower

Guest guest

Calming Herbs For Kids

When it comes to calming kids, there's no doubt that an herbal remedy exists. However, sorting through all the selections and figuring out which one to try can be a daunting task. Here is a brief description of some popular calming remedies: 1. Chamomile. Most herbalists' first choice for calming children, chamomile is a fragrant member of the daisy family native to Europe and western Asia. German chamomile is considered the highest quality. Used for centuries to cure gastrointestinal problems, chamomile's active substances also have mild anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and muscle-relaxing actions, which makes the herb perfect for children, since it can soothe without over-sedating. Often taken in tea between meals, chamomile can also be ingested in tablet or capsule form (2-3 grams) or by tincture (4-6 mL), also between meals. 2. Lemon Balm. Derived from the lemon-scented leaves of a perennial mint plant of southern Europe, lemon balm has been used since the Middle Ages for a multitude of symptoms including anxiety and restlessness. The herb is now grown around the world, and remedies are derived from either the leaves or the whole plant. It is believed that components of the herb's essential oils (linalool and citronella) are responsible for a sedative action. Lemon balm may be taken in capsule form, liquid extract or as a tea, and is often packaged as part of an herbal blend. It is great for children because of its good taste and because it is considered one of the safest relaxants, though it should be avoided by those with underactive thyroids. 3. Lavender. Primarily used as an aromatic, lavender can be a great, mellow relaxant for children. A drop or two of lavender essential oil on a tissue, on a pillow or even in the humidifier can be an ideal, risk-free method of soothing a child. Dried leaves can also be used to make a potpourri. 4. Catnip. Native to both North America and Europe, catnip, which has been known to drive felines into an overstimulated state, has been used throughout history as a human sedative. Usually ingested in tea, catnip is a fairly mild herb that, when taken in reasonable doses, shows no side effects. The herb is relatively safe to give children. 5. Skull Cap. Largely ignored by researchers since tests in the '50s yielded no results, this herb, which is available dried, in liquid extracts, in capsules and in teas, comes from a North American plant in the mint family. It is relatively mild and is safe to use as a relaxant for children, though many herbalists prefer other remedies that are more effective. 6. Passionflower. Passionflower comes from a climbing vine that now grows around the world. Used by the tribes of South America, passionflower has a long history as an herbal sedative. More accepted in Europe than it is in the United States (many Europeans favor passionflower over even valerian), the herb is most often found as a tea, but is also available in liquid extract and in capsules. Although in reasonable doses passionflower is safe for children, it should not be given to anyone under 2 years old, and its bitter taste often requires it to be blended with sweeter herbs such as lemon balm. 7. Hops. Hops is a sleep-promoting herb that works directly on the nervous system. The herb also has a very aromatic quality, and some herbalists even recommend those who suffer regular insomnia make pillows from it. Also ingested in teas, tinctures or pills, hops will take about a half hour to take effect. Hops is considered a relatively strong sedative, so parents should be wary of giving it to children on any regular basis.

Also,

Some potent anti-inflammatories are rosemary, ginger, oregano, green tea, holy basil, turmeric, barberry,.

Suzi

Brenda Greenwalt <bsgreenwalt wrote:

No, but good idea.

Thanks again.Suzanne <suziesgoats wrote:

Curious, have you tried also a relaxing tea prior to bedtime??

SuziBrenda Greenwalt <bsgreenwalt wrote:

Lou and Suzi,

Thank you so much for your replies. Restless leg syndrome has plagued me for years and has cost many a nights sleep.

Brenda

Federal Law requires that we warn you of the following: 1. Natural methods can sometimes backfire. 2. If you are pregnant, consult your physician before using any natural remedy. 3. The Constitution guarantees you the right to be your own physician and toprescribe for your own health. We are not medical doctors although MDs are welcome to post here as long as they behave themselves. Any opinions put forth by the list members are exactly that, and any person following the advice of anyone posting here does so at their own risk. It is up to you to educate yourself. By accepting advice or products from list members, you are agreeing to be fully responsible for your own health, and hold the List Owner and

members free of any liability. Dr. Ian ShillingtonDoctor of NaturopathyDr.IanShillington

Guest guest

My mother use to have this and she took Quinine for it. I discovered for her,that she would be lacking in a few things and would try these:

salt...at least a 1/2 a tsp. taken all at once.

Water...people who have rls and cramping in the legs are usually dehydrated.

And lastly calcium supplements.

Hope any of this is helpful.

Karly

Guest guest

Hi there,

I suffer with htis as part of my ongoing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME). Of course exercise makes it worse for me as I get post exertional fatigue! Things that help me:

a little exercise during the day.

gentle stretching before getting into bed (such as yoga that stretch the leg muscles esp the calves).

Winding down before going to bed and perhaps going outside for some night air and walking barefoot on the grass.

Gentle massage on the legs

Soaking my feet in hot salty water for 5 minutes then massing the feet gently before going to bed

Taking food state magnesium

When it is bad and my legs feel tight, I just turn around in the bed and out my legs up against the wall as high as i can comfortable get them for 10 minutes or so

I now take kava kava which really helps with relaxing the muscles and inducing sleep

Kindest regards, Liz.Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE

Messenger

Guest guest

Liz,

Have you ever done or thought about a total cleanse?

SuziLiz Tomboline <liztomboline wrote:

Hi there,

I suffer with htis as part of my ongoing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME). Of course exercise makes it worse for me as I get post exertional fatigue! Things that help me:

a little exercise during the day.

gentle stretching before getting into bed (such as yoga that stretch the leg muscles esp the calves).

Winding down before going to bed and perhaps going outside for some night air and walking barefoot on the grass.

Gentle massage on the legs

Soaking my feet in hot salty water for 5 minutes then massing the feet gently before going to bed

Taking food state magnesium

When it is bad and my legs feel tight, I just turn around in the bed and out my legs up against the wall as high as i can comfortable get them for 10 minutes or so

I now take kava kava which really helps with relaxing the muscles and inducing sleep

Kindest regards, Liz.

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Messenger Federal Law requires that we warn you of the following: 1. Natural methods can sometimes backfire. 2. If you are pregnant, consult your physician before using any natural remedy. 3. The Constitution guarantees you the right to be your own physician and toprescribe for your own health. We are not medical doctors although MDs are welcome to post here as long as they behave themselves. Any opinions put forth by the list members are exactly that, and any person following the advice of anyone posting here does so at their own risk. It is up to you to educate yourself. By accepting advice or products from list members, you are agreeing to be fully responsible for your own health, and hold the List Owner and

members free of any liability. Dr. Ian ShillingtonDoctor of NaturopathyDr.IanShillington

Guest guest

Here is a good article on the subject by Susun Weed :)

*Smile*

Chris (list mom)

http://www.alittleolfactory.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com/An_Article-restless_legs.htm

Could It Be Restless Legs Syndrome?

Wise Woman Ways For You

c. 2002 Susun S Weed

Legs that twitch and tremble. Legs that shake and ache. Creepy, crawly,

tingly, burning, tugging, itching, prickling sensations that make you

want to move your legs. It could be restless leg syndrome (RLS),

especially if it strikes when you try to go to sleep and wakes you in

the night. (Yes, it can include your arms.)

Also called Ekbon syndrome, hereditary acromelalgia, anxietas tibialis,

or leg jitters, RLS is a fairly common problem. It affects 20 percent of

all pregnant women and 15 percent of all Americans over the age of 50.

RLS frequently puts in a brief appearance during menopause, so the

figures may be higher among menopausal women, but is most likely to

bother women after menopause. RLS is both a movement and a sleep

disorder, and tends to run in families.

Contact the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation (1-877-463-6757) for more

information.

Modern medicine has little understanding of RLS, and few ways to ease

it. (It may be related to kidney function; half of all those with kidney

failure have RLS as a consequence.) The Woman Ways gathered here have

been passed from grandmother to granddaughter for generations, offering

relief and aiding sleep. They are listed in order of increasing harm.

The first remedy is the safest, the last one is the most dangerous. This

article is a condensed version of the restless legs syndrome chapter in

New Menopausal Years the Wise Woman Way; Alternative Approaches for

Women 30-90.

Simply observe the feelings and movements in your legs. Remain the

observer. No need to change anything. Nothing to do. Mind serene.

Emotions at peace.

The movement of chi (life force energy) through the body is variously

described as the flowing of water, the flaring of a fire, the pushing of

the wind, the pulling of the earth. These are also descriptions of the

sensations of RLS. Energy flow notably (and sometimes uncomfortably)

increases in the body after menopause; it is possible that what you are

experiencing is " merely " that. (And chi, according to Traditional

, is stored in the kidneys.) Channel the energy up out

of your legs and into creative or healing endeavors.

Ann Landers says putting a bar of soap in bed with you will calm those

crampy, restless legs down fast. She offers no scientific explanation,

but claims it is harmless if it doesn't work, and effective if it does.

Muscles that lack minerals -- especially calcium and magnesium -- go

into spasms and quiver. If this sounds like your legs, reach for a big

glass of nourishing oatstraw infusion. Make it by placing one ounce by

weight (a cup by volume) of dried oatstraw into a quart jar which is

then filled to the top with boiling water and tightly lidded. Brew for

four or more hours, then strain and refrigerate for no more than two

days. Drink hot or cold, sweetened or not. I regularly drink mellow

oatstraw, 2-4 cups a day, several times a week.

Work those legs, and they're more likely to stay quiet at night. So

exercise it is. If you're are stuck behind a desk, run in place sitting

in your chair for several minutes every hour and take a walk during your

lunch break.

Low blood levels of iron, with or without anemia, are strongly linked to

onset and worsening of RLS. Boost iron by consuming lots of molasses or

by drinking nourishing nettle infusion. (Prepare the same as oatstraw

infusion, using a full ounce of dried nettle to a quart of boiling water

and steeping for at least four hours.) If you have RLS due to end-stage

kidney failure, nettle is an exceptional ally for you. I was told by a

student that she avoided a kidney transplant by drinking nettle infusion

daily. Nettle not only builds iron and it strengthens the kidneys, too.

RLS is also associated with folic acid anemia and a B vitamin

deficiency. Red clover infusion is rich in both, as are oatstraw and

nettle.

Losing sleep because of RLS? A dropperful/1 ml of St. Joan's wort

(Hypericum) tincture, taken 5-10 minutes before lying down, can help

prevent spasms all night. Sleeo-inducing herbs, such as valerian, may

worsen the problem, but a cup of chamomile tea or a mug of warm milk

will encourage sound sleep with side-effects.

A warm bath before bed can keep your limbs quiet all night. Massage

definitely helps too.

When RLS wakes you in the night: Stretchhhhhhhh those muscles by

pointing your toes away from you and imagining someone is pulling on

your leg.

Eliminate coffee and alcohol for a month. Sometimes this effects a

complete " cure. "

Alternate hot and cold packs on your legs for a half-hour before

bedtime.

A cup or two of kava kava with dinner will relax your legs by bedtime

and give you giggles in your dreams. (Warning: Avoid capsules or pills

of kava kava.)

The grandmothers' favorite remedy for cranky legs is a sip of tonic

water before bed. Its quinine content is no doubt responsible, but the

refined sugar you also get is not healthy, so use this remedy is

moderation.

Some drugs may trigger the onset or worsen already existing RLS. They

include :calcium channel blockers, anti-nausea drugs, tricyclic

antidepressants, serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), lithium, some

cold and allergy medications, and the anticonvulsant drug phenytoin.

Drugs used to control (there is no known cure) RLS include: Dopaminergic

agents (such as levodopa), which can worsen symptoms over the long run.

Dopamine agonists, whose long-term effects remain unknown. Opiates,

which are addictive, but incredibly effective. And, when all else fails,

anticonvulsants and benzodiazepines. Needless to say, there are severe

side-effects and little guarantee of improvement with these drugs.

Whether you have a diagnosis or simply suspect you have Restless Legs

Syndrome, Wise Woman Ways offer simple, safe, accessible remedies to

ease your legs and build your health/wholeness/holiness.

Guest guest

Sarah, a daily Magnesium supplement should help with the restless leg

syndrome.

Lou

> my mother was diagnosed with restless leg synrome a while a go,

> she has tried abunch of different prescribed drugs so she could

> sleep but none of them work. I was wondering if any of you know of

> any herbal remedies for it.

> Sarah

>

>

>

>

>

> Federal Law requires that we warn you of the following:

> 1. Natural methods can sometimes backfire.

> 2. If you are pregnant, consult your physician before using any natural

remedy.

> 3. The Constitution guarantees you the right to be your own physician and

to

> prescribe for your own health.

> We are not medical doctors although MDs are welcome to post here as long

as

> they behave themselves.

> Any opinions put forth by the list members are exactly that, and any

person

> following the advice of anyone posting here does so at their own risk.

> It is up to you to educate yourself. By accepting advice or products from

list members, you are agreeing to

> be fully responsible for your own health, and hold the List Owner and

members free of any liability.

>

> Dr. Ian Shillington

> Doctor of Naturopathy

> Dr.IanShillington

>

Guest guest

I have the same problem....but mine is under control now because I gave up caffeine. Does she eat or drink a lot of caffeine? Instead of coffee, I drink rooibos tea, green tea, or chamomile tea. Those teas might have something to do with it too! ;-)

Luv;AuntyB

-

anwamaneoflorien

herbal remedies

Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:44 PM

Herbal Remedies - Restless leg syndrome

hi, my mother was diagnosed with restless leg synrome a while a go,she has tried abunch of different prescribed drugs so she could sleep but none of them work. I was wondering if any of you know of any herbal remedies for it. Sarah

Guest guest

Looks more like GB Wind even when LV Wood has caused it. The differentiation

seems academic till one factors in:

* track of the Wind on leg is almost always on GB vessel from GB 40 to

GB 34.

* channel pair connotation, SJ-GB Shaoyang.

* if Shaoyang, Dai vessel comes into play.

* if Dai, exclude R and L Dai track asymmetry.

What one does not do is treat local points and lose the best arbiter of

a deeper problem.

Back to Wood.

Wise saying of the Sage, I am too modest to say who:

" What shows itself is the effect, what does not, the cause " .

What could cause LV Wood problems?

Very likely the Destructive Evil Lu Metal. It has to be a heavy handed

restrictive

holding back or offending which Metal cutting Wood can enact on any bad day.

Look for LU Metal affliction. Go all the way to perinatal.

If found, treat that and with the first intervention restless leg

symptoms should be gone

or very nearly so.

Look for and exclude a Dai laxity.

Easiest way is to find the telltale crease in waist in one side and a

raised lax waist on

the other.

If this is found and treated with symmetrizing the waist, even if there

were LU in the

picture, the restless leg will ameliorate, probably more quickly that

with the other intervention.

So the modest Sage say:

" Best way to treat restless leg, is not treat it at all " .

Dr. Holmes

Christopher Vedeler, L.Ac. wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience treating restless leg syndrome?

>

> I have a patient who has recently gone through the treatment for Hep-C,

> but as a side effect she now has restless leg syndrome and depression.

> >From a TCM perspective there is a lot of clear Liver issues with

> internal wind, depression and the damage to the liver organ itself.

>

> I'm treating it from the perspective of internal liver wind, but would

> like to get other more experienced practitioners take on it.

>

> Thanks!

>

> Christopher Vedeler L.Ac., C.Ht.

> Oasis Acupuncture

> http://www.oasisacupuncture.com

> 8233 N. Via Paseo del Norte

> Suite D-35

> Scottsdale, AZ 85258

> Phone: (480) 991-3650

> Fax: (480) 247-4472

>

Guest guest

I'm had success by needling quickly down the hua tou points especially on the

lower back.

Do it two or three times in one session, should take about 5 or 10 minutes.

doug

, jamie shutt <jlshutt> wrote:

>

> Hey everyone,

>

> Has anyone had any luck in treatment of restless leg syndrome? I have a

patient whom is

72 years old and it started about a month ago. I diagnosed him as a liver and

kidney yin

xu with blood xu.

>

> Thanks, Jamie

>

>

>

>

> Better first dates. More second dates. Personals

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Jamie,

I am treating an elderly woman who has had restless leg syndrome since she was

18 years old! She has been to many MD's, and has a diagnosis, in addition to

restless leg syndrome, of sciatica and has also had some surgeries to her lower

spine. She's been on pain meds and also meds to control the movements, but

doesn't like that the meds make her feel drowsy and " stupid " . Her legs are

restless night and day. As an elderly person, she is deficient in many things.

Her patterns include Spleen qi xu generating dampness, and I have explored the

possibility of dampness pouring into the legs, and generating heat (and

therefore restlessness symptoms locally). However, improvement for this pattern

would require significant dietary changes and herbs - I have decided against

giving her herbs, however, since she is on so many meds. Her patterns also

include kidney yin xu with yin xu heat, and treating this has yielded better

results than when I was treating her spleen xu damp heat complex.

I use acupuncture alone, twice weekly, and after one month, we started to see

reduction in the frequency and severity of her symptoms. Also, she is sleeping

better and her back pain is also much improved. I focus on clearing heat and

tonifying kidney yin, in addition to using local and distal points for her low

back pain, and ear points for her knees (she also has had knee replacements and

still has pain there) and low back. Obviously, she is someone with mutliple

health concerns, yet an older woman with a history of living a vigorous life.

She has a strong constitution, and to my surprise, it is necessary to use a

large number of needles in order to achieve results - contrary to popular wisdom

for treating older patients.

So far, she has reported two treatments in which she was able to lie still on

the table (important and useful for treatment!), and one night in which she was

asymptomatic, as well as a few days in which her symptoms were reduced. I think

results might be quicker and stronger with herbs, but in her case, I feel they

are contraindicated.

Good luck with your patient, and be persistent.

jamie shutt <jlshutt wrote:

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had any luck in treatment of restless leg syndrome? I have a patient

whom is 72 years old and it started about a month ago. I diagnosed him as a

liver and kidney yin xu with blood xu.

Thanks, Jamie

Better first dates. More second dates. Personals

Guest guest

Doug-

I'm intrigued by your reply. By " needling quickly " , do you mean quick insertion

and removal, or ... something else ...? Do you have any retention time at all,

and what size needles do you use? Do you do any needling on the lower thoracic

and sacral areas, or just lumbar? Have you found moxa or other therapeutic

methods also useful for this condition?

Thank you. I also am treating a patient with this condition.

wrote:

I'm had success by needling quickly down the hua tou points especially on the

lower back.

Do it two or three times in one session, should take about 5 or 10 minutes.

doug

, jamie shutt <jlshutt> wrote:

>

> Hey everyone,

>

> Has anyone had any luck in treatment of restless leg syndrome? I have a

patient whom is

72 years old and it started about a month ago. I diagnosed him as a liver and

kidney yin

xu with blood xu.

>

> Thanks, Jamie