IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

to Gary about new path

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Gary ~ I believe it is possible to get free of addictions without the support of a 12 step program. I spent several years in Al Anon and also went to a few AA meetings, so I know the sense of judgement you write about. For some it is the only way they can stay free of their addiction, however, my sister was able to do it without the program. It sounds like, in your case, it may have made it harder to stay free because of the sense of being judged. Putting one's self down or another putting you down isn't healthy.

Go to shreemaa.org Read this: http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/taxonomy_menu/46/59

The first time I read it, I cried and my heart felt at home. This group will not judge you, and we are always here for you. Maa and Swamiji will always be here for you. You might try it and see if it helps. But I must say that if you can't stay free, you should probably try a program again. One thing I learned when I was going was to "take what you like and leave the rest." Blessings ~ Linda

Gary wrote:

Am I wrong for feeling that my spirit is in someway quelched or, violated, when I'm subjected to comments that make me feel like I'm being judged? Is there "only one path" to recovery from someone prone to addictions?

Guest guest

Dear Linda:

Thanks so much for your response! Know something...I think that I found a home with this group of souls, and don't feel one inkling of a sense of judgement, from either Swami or from Shree Maa! I am financially challenged right now, and, am planning to move to Florida, to retire, next year (I don't have a lot of money, but it doesn't matter that much to me anymore, as it's not necessarily about how much we have, or, how much society tells us we should have, but, with how happy and functional we are, with what we do have and, are blessed with).

Regarding A.A. and support groups for addictions, I feel that I can beat the addiction that I fell back into, without them, either (I did, for 12 years, and then, in my humanness, I fell. I was sober 10 years through the attendance of A.A., and, some ACA meetings, as well....the latter was much gentler.*). Then, I made a lead at 10 year's sober, and felt that I was being judged...but what someone saw in me, in my past, that I was, no more, and maybe even the cut of my clothes? I found myself "talking the talk" to please and get validation from the group, instead of speaking from the heart). After this lead, I thought about the statement in these programs and by Shakesphere: "To Thine Own Self Be True," and, felt that I wasn't being true to myself, so, I walked away. The only mistake that I made was to fall, which just makes me human. I have no desire to any mood altering substances,

whatsoever, or, for any other sins of the flesh or addictions. I'm a straight shooting guy, trying to live a clean, Godly life.

I may continue to go to a meeting or two, where I feel "safe." But, if one day I wean off of them, maybe I can make it just through Devi Mandir. This is starting out wonderful.

Sincerely,

Gary

"nierika" <nierika Sent: Thu, November 19, 2009 7:15:15 AM[www.ShreeMaa.org] Re: to Gary about new path

Dear Gary ~ I believe it is possible to get free of addictions without the support of a 12 step program. I spent several years in Al Anon and also went to a few AA meetings, so I know the sense of judgement you write about. For some it is the only way they can stay free of their addiction, however, my sister was able to do it without the program. It sounds like, in your case, it may have made it harder to stay free because of the sense of being judged. Putting one's self down or another putting you down isn't healthy.

Go to shreemaa.org Read this: http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/taxonomy_menu/46/59

The first time I read it, I cried and my heart felt at home. This group will not judge you, and we are always here for you. Maa and Swamiji will always be here for you. You might try it and see if it helps. But I must say that if you can't stay free, you should probably try a program again. One thing I learned when I was going was to "take what you like and leave the rest." Blessings ~ Linda

Gary wrote:

Am I wrong for feeling that my spirit is in someway quelched or, violated, when I'm subjected to comments that make me feel like I'm being judged? Is there "only one path" to recovery from someone prone to addictions?