IndiaDivine.org

to Kaliananda about trip to Devi Mandir

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Kaliananda ~ thanks so much for sharing more of your Devi Mandir visit with us. I hope the story is not quite finished, so we may look forward to more. When you mentioned your stroll with the gods and goddesses, I remembered the first time I ever went to a Hindu Temple. In the center there was a huge statue of Shiva in repose ... so beautiful. And I too wandered from god to goddess to god to goddess ... in wonder and feeling so full in my heart. At one of the altars a pujari was performing a puja, so I went over and was beckoned to become part of the worship. My sister says that is how it always is at that temple. It's in Maryland. There's one here in Lowell (MA) that I've been to once, and again it was with wonder and excitement that I visited with each diety. I hope one day to make it to Devi Mandir, but the stories you and others write are so wonderful and give me a glimpse.

Thank you ~ Linda

Jai Maa Jai Swamiji

Kaliananda wrote:

There were days when I just entered the temple for a private stroll withthe Gods and Goddesses, pausing at each altar to admire the everblissful presence of the deities. The physical attraction apart, thereis the aspect of worship, each devotee has his or her special place oraltar of worship - each one is different yet they are all the same. Attimes baby Krshna, seated majestically on his throne calls, and you muststop and chat with him, once I just sat looking at him and was soovercome with joy and laughter that the tears ran from my eyes, yet, noaudible words were spoken.uIt was during one of these quiet moments that the fire pit held me, mymemory returned to the start, when the fire was lit for the first timeand how it must have been and at that moment all I could think was thatthe fire pit is really my heart, the heart where my love resides. Theyantra at its base is the external yantra that we place on our chest aswe install the deities. The fire is the passion that we feel for theDivine, as we feed that passion with the good and bad that resides inthis container. The fire roars and dances in acceptance as it purifiesour offerings. After sometime of not feeding the fire, one can only seea steady stream of smoke, but the fire has not out. We have gone insidein our meditative mood giving the best we are able to Mother, in returnShe acknowledges with the outward `pop' as a grain of rise isconsumed in the fire's embers.Looking around the temple again, each altar seems a representation ofthe 8 Durgas with the Cosmic Altar being the 9th Durga, Siddhidatri,that Perfect Goddess, the Goal of our worship. This brought home whatMaa and Swamiji always says, "everyday is Navaratri at the DeviMandir". Only through the Guru's grace are we able to walk thispath.