Guest guest

Thiruvaimozi-1.4.3

Rate this topic

Guest guest

vidhiyinaal pedai manakkummennadaiya annangaaL

madhiyinaal kuraNmaNaaiulagirandha kaLvarkku

madhiyilEn valvinaiyE maaLaadhO enRurutthi

madhiyellaa muL kalangi mayangumaaL enneerE

Oh swans who are united with your females due to good fortune, go and tell the Lord, who cleverly took a form of a dwarf and asked for the whole world from Mahabali in a cunning manner, that one who lacked the wisdom and committed sins and now is aggrieved worrying whether her suffering through past karma will never end.

The nayaki is now trying to send the swans as messengers losing faith in the cuckoos who seemed to be saying, "even if you are now repenting for your misdeeds which will ensure that there will be no more ill effects of karma , you have to experience the result of past karma." So she addresses the swans which will be more swift messengers than the cuckoos and also they are happily united with their females.

vidhiyinaal pedai maNakkum- those who have the good fortune of enjoying the company of their females. Commentators say that the nayaki feels that it is her good fortune also because if the swan was also separated from its mate, then as in the case of Sugriva whose misfortune had to be rectified by Rama before he could help Rama in his turn , it may be necessary first to find means of removing the sorrow of separation of the swans before they could be approached for help.

Mennadaiya annangaaL- As the gait of the swans give pleasure to the onlooker the Lord will be favourably disposed towards them.

Madhiyinaal kuraL maaNaai ulagaLandhakaLvar- The Lord was clever and took the form of a Vamana, kuraLmaaN, and went to Mahabali and asked for the three feet of earth and then became Thrivikrama and got the whole world as his alms. He had to go as Vamana brahmachari as otherwise he could not have asked for the earth which was rightfully his. This was a deceit and hence the Lord is referred to as kaLvar, thief. He stole the pride of Mahabali in order to grace him.

Azvar asks that when the Lord has taken away the faults of Mahabali due to his karma and gave him great glory, are the faults of himself as the nayaki are so great that they could not be pardoned? The promise that he will release Hs devotees from their sins ahamthvaa sarvapaapebhyaH mokshayishyaami , could not be false.

This brng to mind the words of Thyagaraja who said .'naa paapamu naathOnunte Srepa nee birudhukemi praThuku' meaning " if my sins stay with me where is the glory of your reputation that you arethe saviour?'

In the previous verse the nayaki said that due to past karma, mun seidha muzhuvinai, she had not sought His feet to serve Him and has already realized her error and repents it and is it right that she should suffer even after realizing her mistake and wished to redress it In this pasuram she asks whether the Lord could not remove her suffering due to past karma and free her from it by His grace.

Azvar describes the state of the nayaki thus:

Madhiyilen- "I was not wise enough to know the consequences of my actions.

valvinaie maaLaadho enRu- thinking whether my past karma will never cease.

madhi ellaam uL kalangi- both my natural and the knowledge which I acquired through your grace , all became muddled.

mayangum aal enner- So I am more or less in a state of losin my consciousness .

This is the message the nayaki wishes to send through the swns.