Guest guest

Thiruvaimozi 1.4..2

Rate this topic

Guest guest

enseyyatthaamarikkaN perumaanaarkken thoodhaai

enseyyumuraitthakkaal inakkuyilgaaL neer aleerE

mun seidha muzhuvinaiyaal thiruvadikkeezh kuttREval

munseyya muyalaadhEn agalvadhuvO vidhiyinamE

Oh cuckoos who belong to my group, If you go and tell my message to my Lord who has eyes like red lotus what do you lose by it?

Are not you able to do it? This is the message:" Even though I have not served your feet due to my past karma, is it my fate to suffer even after I repent for it?"

In this verse Azvar tries to send the cuckoos as messengers to the Lord. The crane wee m not going and also they could not speak. Hence the nayaki sends the cuckoos which can be more articulate.

The Lord is described as seyyathaamaraikkaNNan. The eyes of the Lord are reddish white like the lotus, by nature, due to love and mercy.

Azvar calls the Lord `emperumaanaar,' while emperumaan will suffice because He has His own wealth of infinitely auspicious qualities and also carried off all the praiseworthy attributes of the nayaki also, meaning that without Him the devotee has no merit to call his own. Hence the extra particle `aar,' to denote glory is added.

Azvar refers to the cuckoos as inakkuyilgaaL implying that they are of the same kind as the nayaki.

"Are you not capable of conveying my message, neer aleerO," she says, because the cuckoos are articulate unlike the crane. And she chides them sayin what will you lose by carrying my message

In the previous pasuram the acharya was personified as a crane denoting the satthva guna and here he is described as cuckoo to indicate his eloquence.

Azvar beseeches the acharya to plead to the Lord on his behalf to show mercy on him who has realized his mistake due to his past karma, in not serving the feet of the Lord.