IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cost of srardham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oppiliappan , "kochappaa" <kochappaa wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

Guest guest

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did " pinda pradhanam " to dasharatha, when he was in " aranya vasa " . I feel, your thought is a direct result of " performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that " .

While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal " karthas " (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.

Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals, skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.

If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.

I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.With humble pranamas,harsha simhaOn Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM, kochappaa <kochappaa wrote:

Respected swamins,

I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle

class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find

things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.

The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins

Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the

provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I

have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor

sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing

this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such

costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other

caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the

departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home

would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I

am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate

these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such

rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some

registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and

swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.

adiyen

Kochappaa

Guest guest

-

harsha simha

Oppiliappan

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:48 PM

Re: Cost of srardham

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did "pinda pradhanam" to dasharatha, when he was in "aranya vasa". I feel, your thought is a direct result of "performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that". While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal "karthas" (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals, skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.With humble pranamas,harsha simha

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM, kochappaa <kochappaa wrote:

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

Guest guest

Harsha Simha

Too good reply

Danyosmi

Dasan

Navalpakkam Krishna

-

harsha simha

Oppiliappan

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:18 AM

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did "pinda pradhanam" to dasharatha, when he was in "aranya vasa". I feel, your thought is a direct result of "performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that". While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal "karthas" (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals, skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.With humble pranamas,harsha simha

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM, kochappaa <kochappaa (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

Guest guest

Swamins

Kochappaa's agony is understandable. The gentlemen inspite of the pain appears to be performing srardhams to his parents and helping his sisters too. That is laudable. But given the present day conditions of cost demands from vathiar swamins and others (they too have their constrains in the costly world), I do not know whether there is any way of doing it at less cost, unless, as suggested by Kochapa swami himself that Brahmins associations take up a pool of bruhaspathis and willing swamins, and organize to depute them on standard tariffs. It would be nice if Harsha simha swami elucidates for the benefit of all,, how Sri Rama conducted the pitru srardham economically.

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

On 10/12/2008, harsha simha <hellosimha wrote:

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did " pinda pradhanam " to dasharatha, when he was in " aranya vasa " . I feel, your thought is a direct result of " performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that " .

While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal " karthas " (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.

Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals, skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.

If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.

I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.With humble pranamas,harsha simha

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.

The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor

sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the

departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such

rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

-- YoursGovindakrishnan Alagar

Hands that serve are holier than lips that pray. - Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Guest guest

Dear Swamin,Following from Valmiki

Ramayanam, ayodhya khanda, sarga-103 and shlokas from 2-103-25 to 2-103-30 explains how Shri Rama did

pinda pradhanam when he heard about his father's death during his aranya vaasam

at chitrakoota.

(Below translation is

taken from: http://www.valmikiramayan.net/ayodhya/sarga103/ayodhya_103_frame.htm)

Quote –

The illustrious Rama and others painfully reached the River

Mandakini, that stream of sacred fords, the enchanting one always covered with

flowers, coming to a blessed ford, free from mud and offered the lustrual water

to the king, saying " Father! May this prove agreeable to you. "

Holding together in the form of a hollow his palms full of water

and turning his face turned towards the southern quarter and weeping the great

prince pronounced the traditional words saying: " O, Tiger among men! May

this water without taint and incorruptible at the moment that I offer it to

you, reach you in the region of your ancestors where you are. "

Thereafter, the glorious Rama, resending the bank of Mandakini River along with his brothers, offered

balls of food to his father. He placed the pulp

of the Ingudi tree mixed with the pulp of plums on a mat of Kusa grass and

overcome with sadness, weeping, spoke the following words: " O, Great King! Be

pleased to partake of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also

consumed by his gods. "

-Unquote

My point is not that

everyone should perform pinda pradhanam with the pulp of the Ingudi tree, but

rather the point we should note here is that we should perform rituals with the resources

available within our limits. But in no circumstance we should skip the ritual

itself.

And hence Shri Rama himself says in shloka 2-103-30, that

idambhuðkÿva mah˜r˜ja prŸto yadaþan˜ vayam |

yadanna× puruÿo bhavati tadann˜ stasya devat˜× || 2-103-30

" O, Great King! Be pleased to partake

of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also consumed by his

gods. "

This is just my understanding of this event and if there is any

misunderstanding, elders and learned scholars in the group should guide us

further. I once again apologize if i have hurt anyone with my views in my

previous mail.

With humble pranamas,Harsha SimhaOn Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Govindakrishnan Alagar <govindakrishnanalagar wrote:

Swamins

Kochappaa's agony is understandable. The gentlemen inspite of the pain appears to be performing srardhams to his parents and helping his sisters too. That is laudable. But given the present day conditions of cost demands from vathiar swamins and others (they too have their constrains in the costly world), I do not know whether there is any way of doing it at less cost, unless, as suggested by Kochapa swami himself that Brahmins associations take up a pool of bruhaspathis and willing swamins, and organize to depute them on standard tariffs. It would be nice if Harsha simha swami elucidates for the benefit of all,, how Sri Rama conducted the pitru srardham economically.

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.With humble pranamas,harsha simha

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.

The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor

sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the

departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such

rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

-- YoursGovindakrishnan Alagar

Guest guest

Dear Swamins,

I remember that when my father had

financial constraints in 1980s, he had a tough time to invite

Bruhaspatis for Srardham and could not afford

to perform with a lesser cost . This situation is still

Prevailing as living cost has increased

and it is a testing time to all of us whether we stick to our

Principles of remembering our departed

souls.I strongly suggest our Brahmin sect not to give up

Despite having all kind of constraints and

costs, but one will certainly get returns including to your

Next generation in future. If we start

thinking in this angle, our own generation won’t spend money for Srardam

For us !!! isn’t it ??

In this scenario, Adiyen asked my Guru Sri

la Sri Venkataraman who suggested that you yourself could do daily “Tharpanam”

and

He has written 3 books (part 1,2,3) on

performing “Eliya Tharpana Pooja muraigal” which was surprising for

me.

Those who are in Chennai can get these

books on Kendralaya @ 044-24957276. Pls go through the complete

Book to understand why we should do

Tharpanam at home without any hesitations. Pls contact the above tel no

To get more details.

With Guru’s blessings,

Adiyen Ram

AUM

Oppiliappan [Oppiliappan ] On Behalf Of Govindakrishnan Alagar

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

11:38 AM

Oppiliappan

Re: Cost of

srardham

Swamins

Kochappaa's agony is understandable. The gentlemen inspite of the pain appears to be

performing srardhams to his parents and helping his sisters too. That is

laudable. But given the present day conditions of cost

demands from vathiar swamins and others (they too have their constrains in the

costly world), I do not know whether there is any way of doing it at less cost,

unless, as suggested by Kochapa swami himself that Brahmins associations take

up a pool of bruhaspathis and willing swamins, and organize to depute them

on standard tariffs. It would be nice if Harsha simha swami elucidates for the

benefit of all,, how Sri Rama conducted the pitru srardham economically.

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

On 10/12/2008, harsha

simha <hellosimha >

wrote:

Dear swamin,

I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we

should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do

shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama

did " pinda pradhanam " to dasharatha, when he was in

" aranya vasa " . I feel, your thought is a direct

result of " performing rituals without understanding the meaning and

purpose behind that " .

While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform

these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are

the reeal " karthas " (responsible doer) but who want to just perform

these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end

up blaming the Bruhaspathis.

Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i

know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals, skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution.

But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then

find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.

If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better

idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year

which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also

with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.

I apologize if you find any of my views offensive.

With humble pranamas,

harsha simha

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at

2:19 PM, kochappaa <kochappaa (AT) (DOT) co.in>

wrote:

Respected swamins,

I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle

class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find

things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.

The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins

Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the

provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I

have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor

sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing

this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such

costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other

caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the

departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home

would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I

am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate

these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such

rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some

registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and

swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.

adiyen

Kochappaa

--

Yours

Govindakrishnan Alagar

Guest guest

govindakrishnan swamin,

i agree that the cost of srartham is more.but you can get it done in a plcelike srirangam or chennai where it is done like a package.you have to inform the date & no of persons eating in the srartham.they will arrange vadyar,thaligai,swamigal etc..,this works out cheaper if you try this method.again they will charge you not less than Rs 1500/.pl try this

AdiYen kasthurirangan s erode

On 12/10/08, Govindakrishnan Alagar <govindakrishnanalagar wrote:

Swamins

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

-- YoursGovindakrishnan AlagarHands that serve are holier than lips that pray. - Sri Sathya Sai Baba -- S.kasthurirangan,22,(175/176),E.V.R.street,ERODE 638001,09443056665

Guest guest

Respected Bhagavathaas,I came to understand many compromises about the srardham has given for the satisfaction of the Kartha.Take in my case, I am sweemkaram to my "Mathamahar". My father is also no more. We are doing the srardha kainkaryam without taking much pain. How? I explain as follows:I have created a cloth bag for the above kainkaryam. I will put Rs.500/- per month, this will fetch Rs.6000/-. This is more than enough for us to do srardha kainkarayam.Kindly have a nice look the following breakup for every srardham.1. Brahaspathi Sambhavanai - Rs.350/-.2. Brahma - Rs.50/-3. Thandulam

- Rs.10/-4. Anugnai - Rs.25/-(each Rs.5/- Brahaspathi, swamis,Thaligai)5. Srardha Anugnai - Rs.25/- 6. Swami Dakshinai - Rs.300/- each7. Thaligai swamy dakshinai - Rs.400/- each (if 2) or Rs.600/-.8. Ghosti Dakshinai - Rs.50/- (Rs.10/- each)9. Sripada Theertham - Rs.10/- each swamy10. Conveyance - Rs.20/- each swamy & Thaligai.11. Provisions

etc. - Rs.1500/- to Rs.2000/-rounding off - Rs.3000/- per srardham.We have to offer atleast 5 to 10% of our earnings to our pithrus. This is pithru karyam should be done by every one. We cannot escape (or) offering food for Orphanages is to be avoided.I will inform 30 days notice to Brahaspathi & Thaligai swamy with 3 reminders.A cotton bag will be hanged before 15 days advance with the item of Honey Bottle, Kirambu, Elachi, Jathikai, Jathi bathri, Betun pakku.Cowdung cake and Chulli will always be

available in stock.Srardha kainkaryam in Chennai especially, Triplicane, Mylapore and other places is normally cheaper than the other city.Also, I would like to advice the person concerned who raise the inability (or) inconvenience for srardham, have to prepare for themselves, to save an amount of Rs.700/-.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Wed, 10/12/08, Krishna <Krishna wrote:Krishna <KrishnaRe: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Cc: hellosimhaDate: Wednesday, 10 December, 2008, 9:41 AM

Harsha Simha

Too good reply

Danyosmi

Dasan

Navalpakkam Krishna

-

harsha simha

Oppiliappan

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:18 AM

Get perfect Email ID for your Resume. Get before others grab.

Guest guest

Dear SwAmins, It is said that according to our siddhanta the departed soul either attains Acharyan Tiruvadi in Paramapadam or if not done prapatti takes re-birth. It is also said that srardha is a way of worshipping the Lord and to please pitras and not exactly feeding the departed souls. In view of the present situataion in which many retired and old persons are unable to perform srardha, why not simplify the procedure so that there is no trouble for such persons who have no income or are living in a poor condition? Now-a-days the cost of conductiong srardhams has gone up several times. Even those who have some income after retirement are finding it very difficult to perform srardhams. Our acharyas or knowledgeable persons should show a way out for such persons who have faith in such ceremonies but cannot afford to do

so. Now-a-days even weddings have become a simple affair and less cumbersome and less time-consuming. Similarly observing srardhams too should become simple. If it is a sort of worshipping the Lord, why not offer some ubayam in Temples where not only poor but Brahmins also also fed?

This is a suggestion for thought. Some one has to bell the cat. No intention of offending anyone.

Regards,

dAsan

anbil SrInivAsan --- On Wed, 10/12/08, harsha simha <hellosimha wrote:

harsha simha <hellosimhaRe: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Wednesday, 10 December, 2008, 9:34 PM

Dear Swamin,

Following from Valmiki Ramayanam, ayodhya khanda, sarga-103 and shlokas from 2-103-25 to 2-103-30 explains how Shri Rama did pinda pradhanam when he heard about his father's death during his aranya vaasam at chitrakoota.

(Below translation is taken from: http://www.valmikir amayan.net/ ayodhya/sarga103 /ayodhya_ 103_frame. htm)

Quote –

The illustrious Rama and others painfully reached the River Mandakini, that stream of sacred fords, the enchanting one always covered with flowers, coming to a blessed ford, free from mud and offered the lustrual water to the king, saying "Father! May this prove agreeable to you."

Holding together in the form of a hollow his palms full of water and turning his face turned towards the southern quarter and weeping the great prince pronounced the traditional words saying: "O, Tiger among men! May this water without taint and incorruptible at the moment that I offer it to you, reach you in the region of your ancestors where you are."

Thereafter, the glorious Rama, resending the bank of Mandakini River along with his brothers, offered balls of food to his father. He placed the pulp of the Ingudi tree mixed with the pulp of plums on a mat of Kusa grass and overcome with sadness, weeping, spoke the following words: "O, Great King! Be pleased to partake of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also consumed by his gods."

-Unquote

My point is not that everyone should perform pinda pradhanam with the pulp of the Ingudi tree, but rather the point we should note here is that we should perform rituals with the resources available within our limits. But in no circumstance we should skip the ritual itself. And hence Shri Rama himself says in shloka 2-103-30, that

idambhuðkÿva mah˜r˜ja prŸto yadaþan˜ vayam |yadanna× puruÿo bhavati tadann˜ stasya devat˜× || 2-103-30

"O, Great King! Be pleased to partake of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also consumed by his gods."

This is just my understanding of this event and if there is any misunderstanding, elders and learned scholars in the group should guide us further. I once again apologize if i have hurt anyone with my views in my previous mail. With humble pranamas,Harsha Simha

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Govindakrishnan Alagar <govindakrishnanalag ar (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Swamins

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

On 10/12/2008, harsha simha <hellosimha (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did "pinda pradhanam" to dasharatha, when he was in "aranya vasa". I feel, your thought is a direct result of "performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that". While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal "karthas" (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals,

skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.I apologize if you find any of my views offensive..With humble pranamas,harsha simha

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and

rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

-- YoursGovindakrishnan AlagarHands that serve are holier than lips that pray. - Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Guest guest

Respected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950

<kidambi1950 wrote:kidambi1950 <kidambi1950 Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Tuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PM

Oppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25

mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.

Guest guest

Respected swamy,Any kainkaryam / any job / any help (paropaharam) you do for others. It should be done with total involvement. We can called as "dedicated service". If you do not have, then the result will not be upto our satisfaction. I would like to say some example.Our parents had taught disciplined / dedicated service while we do srardha kainkaryam. Our parents won't allow us to go to school. We have to assist the parents by procuring vegetables, cutting the same, to arrange cowdung cake and chulli, all the pre-arrangements to be done. After srardham begins, we will take care of postman tapals, attending telephonic calls, etc. We should not inform any msg / information to our parents while doing srardham. We should be always alert that time.We will make all

arrangements before vadhyar comes. He will see all the items kept ready and be happy. He will not do any Manthra Loabham if Srardhai Lobayae is not. He will happily do srardha performance.All should do srardha kainkaryam for their parents according to Veda Sastra, eventhough the departed soul reached vaikundham.S.THIRUNARAYANA of Karappangdu--- On Mon, 15/12/08, srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004 wrote:srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 6:10 AM

Dear SwAmins, It is said that according to our siddhanta the departed soul either attains Acharyan Tiruvadi in Paramapadam or if not done prapatti takes re-birth. It is also said that srardha is a way of worshipping the Lord and to please pitras and not exactly feeding the departed souls. In view of the present situataion in which many retired and old persons are unable to perform srardha, why not simplify the procedure so that there is no trouble for such persons who have no income or are living in a poor condition? Now-a-days the cost of conductiong srardhams has gone up several times. Even those who have some income after retirement are

finding it very difficult to perform srardhams. Our acharyas or knowledgeable persons should show a way out for such persons who have faith in such ceremonies but cannot afford to do

so. Now-a-days even weddings have become a simple affair and less cumbersome and less time-consuming. Similarly observing srardhams too should become simple. If it is a sort of worshipping the Lord, why not offer some ubayam in Temples where not only poor but Brahmins also also fed?

This is a suggestion for thought. Some one has to bell the cat. No intention of offending anyone.

Regards,

dAsan

anbil SrInivAsan --- On Wed, 10/12/08, harsha simha <hellosimha (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

harsha simha <hellosimha (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanWednesday, 10 December, 2008, 9:34 PM

Dear Swamin,

Following from Valmiki Ramayanam, ayodhya khanda, sarga-103 and shlokas from 2-103-25 to 2-103-30 explains how Shri Rama did pinda pradhanam when he heard about his father's death during his aranya vaasam at chitrakoota.

(Below translation is taken from: http://www.valmikir amayan.net/ ayodhya/sarga103 /ayodhya_ 103_frame. htm)

Quote –

The illustrious Rama and others painfully reached the River Mandakini, that stream of sacred fords, the enchanting one always covered with flowers, coming to a blessed ford, free from mud and offered the lustrual water to the king, saying "Father! May this prove agreeable to you."

Holding together in the form of a hollow his palms full of water and turning his face turned towards the southern quarter and weeping the great prince pronounced the traditional words saying: "O, Tiger among men! May this water without taint and incorruptible at the moment that I offer it to you, reach you in the region of your ancestors where you are."

Thereafter, the glorious Rama, resending the bank of Mandakini River along with his brothers, offered balls of food to his father. He placed the pulp of the Ingudi tree mixed with the pulp of plums on a mat of Kusa grass and overcome with sadness, weeping, spoke the following words: "O, Great King! Be pleased to partake of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also consumed by his gods."

-Unquote

My point is not that everyone should perform pinda pradhanam with the pulp of the Ingudi tree, but rather the point we should note here is that we should perform rituals with the resources available within our limits. But in no circumstance we should skip the ritual itself. And hence Shri Rama himself says in shloka 2-103-30, that

idambhuðkÿva mah˜r˜ja prŸto yadaþan˜ vayam |yadanna× puruÿo bhavati tadann˜ stasya devat˜× || 2-103-30

"O, Great King! Be pleased to partake of this, which we eat for, that which man eats, is also consumed by his gods."

This is just my understanding of this event and if there is any misunderstanding, elders and learned scholars in the group should guide us further. I once again apologize if i have hurt anyone with my views in my previous mail. With humble pranamas,Harsha Simha

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Govindakrishnan Alagar <govindakrishnanalag ar (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Swamins

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

Dear swamin,I can understand your pain. But, no where it is compelled that we should go beyond our limits and perform these rituals. As you have taken pain to calculate the amount to do shraddham, you can take a bit more pain to read Ramayanam to know how Shri Rama did "pinda pradhanam" to dasharatha, when he was in "aranya vasa". I feel, your thought is a direct result of "performing rituals without understanding the meaning and purpose behind that". While we should condemn those Bruhaspathis who perform these rituals for the sake of money, we should even more condemn those who are the reeal "karthas" (responsible doer) but who want to just perform these rituals without knowing the meaning and purpose of these rituals and end up blaming the Bruhaspathis.Because, it is nowhere mentioned in our shastras (as far as i know) that we should go beyond our limits to perform these rituals,

skipping shraddham itself is not a sollution. But, we should try to understand the meaning and purpose of the ritual and then find a way out to perfrom these rituals within our limits.If you want to *really* feed 25 mouths every year, i have a better idea. We can skip one lunch every week. By this we will save 52 lunch in a year which can feed 52 mouths every year (and not just 25). But, lets do our rituals within our limits and also with an understanding of the meaning and the purpose of the rituals.I apologize if you find any of my views offensive..With humble pranamas,harsha simha

Respected swamins,I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I am sure that unless our sect wakes up and

rationalise and regulate these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.adiyen Kochappaa

-- YoursGovindakrishnan AlagarHands that serve are holier than lips that pray. - Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download.

Guest guest

I understand Sriman Kochappa's problem. I faced it myself. Let me share my experiences from a different angle. I am 30, working, and I earn enough to support my family. My father passed away 4 months ago. I have been doing his maasiyams and sothakumbams every month without fail.My father died at a time when my wife was 8 and a half months pregnant. All the savings for the medicines and the hospitalisation for the impending delivery went towards my father's ceremonies. Naturally, this meant I had to conduct all ceremonies on a shoestring budget.Somehow the fact that I had just Rs. 35,000 to spend on the whole ceremony did not please the Vadhyaar swamin. Through the six days of ceremonies he made it known everyday that he found the money to be

very less. (I'm not bitter at the vadhyaar --afterall he has wife and children to think of, just like me. And a life in Bombay can be pretty unforgiving!)But this brings me to a deeper question. Why the onus on symbolism?. Sure, I went through each and every ceremony manapoorvama. But why does money have to play such a large role, when the whole thing is not about money -- its about a man's soul being laid to rest. I disagree with Sriman Thirunarayanan when he says "if all is laid out well the swamin will do the ceremony and not do mantra lobham". In my particular case everything was in place for the ceremonies -- the swamin himself acknowledged it, but said the money was less (repeatedly!). Let me please add: I am religious and my relashionship with God works on a deeper, more intuitive level. My experiences

(although not ideal) have not scarred me or made me bitter. And the experiences will not deter from me doing all ceremonies on schedule, as per my duty as a son/karta.But questions that will rankle me for a long, long time: Why is money so important for a son to pray for my father's soul?(Mind you I ask you this question as an able-bodied 30 year old man, perfectly capable of taking care of my family and quite WILLING to spare money for my father's ceremony). I have a feeling this is quite the same question Sriman Kochappa is asking. And I have a feeling the question will not have quick answers.Apologies if all this makes for grim reading. No disrespect to anyone or any sampradayam. Adiyen, Satish Sarangarajanthirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955Oppiliappan Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:36:20 PMRe: Cost of srardham

Respected swamy,Any kainkaryam / any job / any help (paropaharam) you do for others. It should be done with total involvement. We can called as "dedicated service". If you do not have, then the result will not be upto our satisfaction. I would like to say some example.Our parents had taught disciplined / dedicated service while we do srardha kainkaryam. Our parents won't allow us to go to school. We have to assist the parents by procuring vegetables, cutting the same, to arrange cowdung cake and chulli, all the pre-arrangements to be done. After srardham begins, we will take care of postman

tapals, attending telephonic calls, etc. We should not inform any msg / information to our parents while doing srardham. We should be always alert that time.We will make all

arrangements before vadhyar comes. He will see all the items kept ready and be happy. He will not do any Manthra Loabham if Srardhai Lobayae is not. He will happily do srardha performance.All should do srardha kainkaryam for their parents according to Veda Sastra, eventhough the departed soul reached vaikundham.S.THIRUNARAYANA of Karappangdu--- On Mon, 15/12/08, srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004 > wrote:srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004 >Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 6:10 AM

Dear SwAmins, It is said that according to our siddhanta the departed soul either attains Acharyan Tiruvadi in Paramapadam or if not done prapatti takes re-birth. It is also said that srardha is a way of worshipping the Lord and to please pitras and not exactly feeding the departed souls. In view of the present situataion in which many retired and old persons are unable to perform srardha, why not simplify the procedure so that there is no trouble for such persons who have no income or are living in a poor condition? Now-a-days the cost of conductiong srardhams has gone up several times. Even those who have some income after retirement are

finding it very difficult to perform srardhams. Our acharyas or knowledgeable persons should show a way out for such persons who have faith in such ceremonies but cannot afford to do

Regards,

dAsan

anbil SrInivAsan --- On Wed, 10/12/08, harsha simha <hellosimha (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

harsha simha <hellosimha (AT) gmail (DOT) com>Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanWednesday, 10 December, 2008, 9:34 PM

Dear Swamin,

Quote –

-Unquote

Swamins

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

Guest guest

Respected swamyI want to know where are you now? Tell me- are you belong to Rug, Yajur, Samam.On my own interest, I would like to come forward to enable you to do Pithru Karma with full of satisfaction. Ultimate goal is satisfaction. I noted all points. I request you kindly note the following points. This practice bring you happiness on doing pithru karma.If he is a pensioner no problem of money. If he is not, you will take the responsibility in the following area. Is it not.When you are father is alive - your are providing the following.1. Purchase of cloth2. You are furnishing Morning Coffee, Food, Tiffin, Evening Food and Milk in the night3. He will be taken to hospital when he is not well. (Even

hospitalised)4. Some times he will travel also along with you (or) with somebodyNormally when he is alive his yearly expenditure will be around Rs.10000/-. (Per annum)When he is away from you (Sri Vaikuntam), you are expenses will be maximum of Rs.6000 only.Kindly have a nice look the following breakup for every srardham.

1. Brahaspathi Sambhavanai - Rs.350/-.2. Brahma - Rs.50/-3. Thandulam - Rs.10/-4. Anugnai - Rs.25/-(each Rs.5/- Brahaspathi, swamis,Thaligai)

5. Srardha Anugnai - Rs.25/- 6. Swami Dakshinai - Rs.300/- each7. Thaligai swamy dakshinai - Rs.400/- each (if 2) or Rs.600/-.8. Ghosti Dakshinai - Rs.50/- (Rs.10/- each)

9. Sripada Theertham - Rs.10/- each swamy10. Conveyance - Rs.20/- each swamy & Thaligai.11. Provisions etc. - Rs.1500/- to Rs.2000/-rounding off - Rs.3000/- per srardham.

We

have to offer atleast 5 to 10% of our earnings to our pithrus. This is

pithru karyam should be done by every one. We cannot escape (or)

offering food for Orphanages is to be avoided.

I will inform 30 days notice to Brahaspathi & Thaligai swamy with 3 reminders.A

cotton bag will be hanged before 15 days advance with the item of Honey

Bottle, Kirambu, Elachi, Jathikai, Jathi bathri, Betun pakku.

Cowdung cake and Chulli will always be available in stock.Srardha kainkaryam in Chennai especially, Triplicane, Mylapore and other places is normally cheaper than the other city.Also,

I would like to advice the person concerned who raise the inability

(or) inconvenience for srardham, have to prepare for themselves, to

save an amount of Rs.700/-.

S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Thu, 18/12/08, Satish S <satish_69 wrote:Satish S <satish_69Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Thursday, 18 December, 2008, 7:53 PM

I understand Sriman Kochappa's problem. I faced it myself. Let me share my experiences from a different angle. I am 30, working, and I earn enough to support my family. My father passed away 4 months ago. I have been doing his maasiyams and sothakumbams every month without fail.My father died at a time when my wife was 8 and a half months pregnant. All the savings for the medicines and the hospitalisation for the impending delivery went towards my father's ceremonies. Naturally, this meant I had to conduct all ceremonies on a shoestring budget.Somehow the fact that I had just Rs. 35,000 to spend on the whole ceremony did not please the Vadhyaar swamin. Through the six days of ceremonies he made it known everyday that he found the money to be

very less. (I'm not bitter at the vadhyaar --afterall he has wife and children to think of, just like me. And a life in Bombay can be pretty unforgiving! )But this brings me to a deeper question. Why the onus on symbolism?. Sure, I went through each and every ceremony manapoorvama. But why does money have to play such a large role, when the whole thing is not about money -- its about a man's soul being laid to rest. I disagree with Sriman Thirunarayanan when he says "if all is laid out well the swamin will do the ceremony and not do mantra lobham". In my particular case everything was in place for the ceremonies -- the swamin himself acknowledged it, but said the money was less (repeatedly! ). Let me please add: I am religious and my relashionship with God works on a deeper, more intuitive level. My experiences

(although not ideal) have not scarred me or made me bitter. And the experiences will not deter from me doing all ceremonies on schedule, as per my duty as a son/karta.But questions that will rankle me for a long, long time: Why is money so important for a son to pray for my father's soul?(Mind you I ask you this question as an able-bodied 30 year old man, perfectly capable of taking care of my family and quite WILLING to spare money for my father's ceremony). I have a feeling this is quite the same question Sriman Kochappa is asking. And I have a feeling the question will not have quick answers.Apologies if all this makes for grim reading. No disrespect to anyone or any sampradayam. Adiyen, Satish Sarangarajanthirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >OppiliappanMonday, December 15, 2008 9:36:20 PMRe: Cost of srardham

Respected swamy,Any kainkaryam / any job / any help (paropaharam) you do for others. It should be done with total involvement. We can called as "dedicated service". If you do not have, then the result will not be upto our satisfaction. I would like to say some example.Our parents had taught disciplined / dedicated service while we do srardha kainkaryam. Our parents won't allow us to go to school. We have to assist the parents by procuring vegetables, cutting the same, to arrange cowdung cake and chulli, all the pre-arrangements to be done. After srardham begins, we will take care of postman

tapals, attending telephonic calls, etc. We should not inform any msg / information to our parents while doing srardham. We should be always alert that time.We will make all

arrangements before vadhyar comes. He will see all the items kept ready and be happy. He will not do any Manthra Loabham if Srardhai Lobayae is not. He will happily do srardha performance.All should do srardha kainkaryam for their parents according to Veda Sastra, eventhough the departed soul reached vaikundham.S.THIRUNARAYANA of Karappangdu--- On Mon, 15/12/08, srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004 > wrote:srinivasan sowmianarayanan <vasans2004 >Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 6:10 AM

Regards,

dAsan

Dear Swamin,

Quote –

-Unquote

Swamins

Adiyen

Govindakrishnan

Guest guest

Adiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However, I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come.

One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated.

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

3. Placing the rice ball to crow

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.

Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

Respected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:

kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PM

Oppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25

mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Guest guest

Sri:

Dear Sri Kocchappa Iyengar :

Thanks for your mail and staying deeply interested .

Yes , Many have responded and the exchanges are good .

Time has now come to take action .

The intent in taking action and creating ways to address

the needs of sincere AasthikAs is to come up with a solution

based on modern technology ( Skype , Multimedia , Text

and Video ) so that many who long to perform SrAddhAs but

do not have access to knowledgable Brahaspathys as well as

limited by the steep costs requsted by some Bruhaspathys .

We do not plan to reduce the earnings of Bruhaspathys but

want to create a Bruhaspathy assisted performance of

annual SraaddhAs and Maasa TarpaNams etc . The thinking

on my mind is the creation of an ebruhaspathy approach , where

the karthA is assisted online . The technical problems

are addressable . Precursory instructions will be provided

so that one approaches the performance in a prepared state .

I come from a family of Bruhaspathys , whose strength was

in the Knowledge of Veda Mantraas and PrayOgams and

they earned very little .They went to extraordinary lengths

for AasthikAs to recite the Mantrams precisely and follow

the prayOgams without Mantra lObham . My grandfather

was an expert in both the Yajur and Saama Veda prayOgams .

They wer eindeed PurohitAs in the fullest sense of the term .

There are a few uncompromising Bruhaspathys , who do n ot

look upon their services as a business . SambhAvanai YathA

Sakthi can be made . Those who have can give and the others

can provide sambhAvanai within their means . Bottom line ,

Vaidhika KarmAs are carried out and mental peace is attained

thru the performance of these prescribed pitru karmAs .

It will take a little time to set this all up but can be done if

Sri Lakshmi Nrisimhan blesses us to proceed .

A Membership oriented organization has to be built

for efficent cooperation and effective scheduling .

It would be more than a full time activity for

that "ebruhaspathy " , who can perhaps be assisted

by similar minded people to ease the load on the assumption

that there will be a good usage of such services to AasthikAs .

Let me hear from you whether you like this proposal

so that I can work further on this and streamline this

process . It is a major effort and it is not worth pursuing

unless there is significant interest .

Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan

Co-Moderator , Vaideekam Groups

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:27 AM

Re: Re: Cost of srardham

Adiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However, I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come.

One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated.

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.

Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

Respected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:

kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PM

k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>

Guest guest

SrI:

Dear Sriman Kocchappa :

Sriman NVS Swamy of West Mamabalam ,

a highly regarded Brahaspati has provided to

your very fundamental questions .

We are all gratefukl for him to be our reference

source , when we have doubts on PrayOgams

as well as meanings .

BamO Veda PurushAya ,

V.Sadadgopan

- Sri Vaishnava Kendram Deevalur Srinivasachariyar

Dr.V.Sadagopan

Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:36 PM

Re: Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Dear Sriman Sadagopachar Swamin,

1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi.The mantram for this six homams are the same with slight change:"yanme maataa pralulobha charati ananuvradha thanme reta: ....... pita / pitamaha / prapitamaha .... vrungtaam ..... gotrAya sharmaNe Vasu / rudra / Aditya roopAyapitre / pitamahaya / prapitAmahAya swAhA"Meaning: this mantram stresses the real meaning for the term 'pitru' as : The Aahuti must reach 'the person who is the real cause for my birth' or 'the person by whoms 'retas' (semen) I was made' So, these are the perfect mantras So, these are very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers

2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food.Mantram for this action: Placing annam before pitru leaf: "asamskruta prametAye tyAginyoyA: kulastraya: dhAsyAmi tebhya: vikiramannam tAbhyasca paitrukam"Meaning: "The pitrus who had droped without proper samskaaram, for those pitrus trupti, I am placing this vikiram"

3. Placing the rice ball to crowMantram while placing the rice ball over a dharbha bhugnam:"agni dagdebhya: anagni dagdebhya: asmat kula prasuuti mrutebhya: ayam piNda: swatA nama:"Meaning: pitrus for who had crimated with fire or without fire (gaganam) and some shishus might have gone in the womb itself, for those type of pitrus I am placing this rice ball as food.

4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above.We are doing this with the same balance annam used for the previous pitru homam,These pindams are some anna roopa representation for those pitrus to do the shodasa upacharams like Argya, PAtya, Achamaneeya, vastra, gandha, pushpa, dhuupa, deepa, uttareeya, aaparaNa, alankaara, mAshApuupa, gudApuupa, pAneeya, tAmbuula etc.I have answered for a good question after very long time, you can send it through all your / our groups.dhanyosmi,dAsan,nvs

kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa

Guest guest

Dear Shri SadagopanThe proposal for ebruhaspati approach is indeed laudable. This will cater to many asthikasspread throughout the globe. In fact usage of the site can also be subject tovoluntary payment and I am sure asthikas using the site will  offer compensation for the sake of maintenance and ongoing updates.  We look upon knowledgeable individual for rendering such help.ThanksChariar dasanOppiliappan ; saranagathi ; Tiruvenkatam ; desikasampradaya ; RamanujaandDesika ; ; ; Raamabhakthi ; RajeevCC: ahobilavalli ; hindusrikanthFrom: yennappanDate: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:48:47 -0500Fw: Re: Cost of srardhamSri: Dear Sri Kocchappa Iyengar : Thanks for your mail and staying deeply interested .Yes , Many have responded and the exchanges are good .  Time has now come to take action . The intent in taking action and creating ways to address the needs of sincere AasthikAs is to come up with a solutionbased on modern technology ( Skype , Multimedia , Text and Video ) so that many who long to perform SrAddhAs butdo not have access to knowledgable Brahaspathys as well as limited by the steep costs requsted by some  Bruhaspathys .  We do not plan to reduce the earnings of Bruhaspathys but want to create a Bruhaspathy assisted performance of annual SraaddhAs and Maasa TarpaNams etc . The thinkingon my mind is the creation of an ebruhaspathy approach , where the karthA is assisted online . The technical problems are addressable . Precursory instructions will be provided so that one approaches the performance in a prepared state .   I come from a family of Bruhaspathys , whose strength was in the Knowledge of Veda Mantraas and PrayOgams andthey earned very little .They went to extraordinary lengths for AasthikAs to recite the Mantrams precisely and follow the  prayOgams without Mantra lObham . My grandfather was an expert in both the Yajur and Saama Veda prayOgams .They wer eindeed PurohitAs in the fullest sense of the term .  There are a few uncompromising Bruhaspathys , who do n otlook upon their services as a  business . SambhAvanai YathASakthi can be made . Those who have can give and the others can provide sambhAvanai within their means . Bottom line ,Vaidhika KarmAs are carried out and mental peace is attained thru the performance of these prescribed pitru karmAs .  It will take a little  time to set this all  up but can be done if Sri Lakshmi Nrisimhan blesses us to proceed . A Membership oriented organization has to be built for efficent cooperation and effective scheduling .It would be more than a full time activity for that "ebruhaspathy " , who can perhaps be assisted by similar minded people to ease the load on the assumptionthat there will be a good usage of such services to AasthikAs . Let me hear from you whether you like this proposal so that I can work further on this and streamline this process . It is a major effort and it is not worth pursuingunless there is significant interest .  Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan Co-Moderator , Vaideekam Groups            - kochappa Iyengar Oppiliappan Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:27 AMRe: Re: Cost of srardhamAdiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However,  I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come. One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated. 1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi. 2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food. 3. Placing the rice ball to crow 4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above. Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?Adiyen,Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 > wrote:thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955 >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappan Date: Monday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PMRespected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar.   But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi.  He will  go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc.   But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM".   Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money.  We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PMOppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden    k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger. From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop

Guest guest

Swamin,

Your proposal for e-bruhaspathy is something novel, but workable.

Kindly elucidate the expectations from e-bruhaspathy and the modalities of the whole project. I would love to take part in it.

Dasan

Raghunathan

--- On Sun, 12/21/08, chari srinivas <srivari58 wrote:

chari srinivas <srivari58RE: Re: Cost of srardhamoppiliappan Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 12:56 PM

Dear Shri Sadagopan

The proposal for ebruhaspati approach is indeed laudable. This will cater to many asthikas

spread throughout the globe. In fact usage of the site can also be subject to

voluntary payment and I am sure asthikas using the site will offer compensation

for the sake of maintenance and ongoing updates. We look upon knowledgeable individual

for rendering such help.

Thanks

Chariar dasan

Oppiliappan; saranagathi; Tiruvenkatam; desikasampradaya; RamanujaandDesika; ; ; Raamabhakthi; Rajeev@parakalamath am.orgCC: ahobilavalli; hindusrikanth@ gmail.comyennappan (AT) computer (DOT) netSun, 21 Dec 2008 07:48:47 -0500Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Sri:

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ > wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop

Guest guest

Respected sir,

I am shree Ariyakudy srinivasa gopalachars great grand daughter.He did perumal

kaigharyam in oppiliappan koil . I said about ur sevai for people like us to my

dad (Ariyakudy srinivasachars second daughter Vedavallis son srinivasa

gopalan)he said he knows about u very well and he said me to wright this mail

and convey his pranams to u.

Thank u so much for ur support for people like us and the i am also supporting

the recent topic about " cost of srardham " .

srividya

00971 50 7902135

Dear Sir,

An excellent idea. Kindly go ahead. Those who can afford will certainly contribute. SR--- On Mon, 22/12/08, Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net> wrote:

Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net>[Vaideekam] Fw: Re: Cost of srardhamvaideekam Date: Monday, 22 December, 2008, 6:36 PM

- raghunathan r

Oppiliappan

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:40 AM

RE: Re: Cost of srardham

Swamin,

Your proposal for e-bruhaspathy is something novel, but workable.

Kindly elucidate the expectations from e-bruhaspathy and the modalities of the whole project. I would love to take part in it.

Dasan

Raghunathan

--- On Sun, 12/21/08, chari srinivas <srivari58 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote:

chari srinivas <srivari58 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>RE: Re: Cost of srardhamoppiliappanSunday, December 21, 2008, 12:56 PM

Dear Shri Sadagopan

The proposal for ebruhaspati approach is indeed laudable. This will cater to many asthikas

spread throughout the globe. In fact usage of the site can also be subject to

voluntary payment and I am sure asthikas using the site will offer compensation

for the sake of maintenance and ongoing updates. We look upon knowledgeable individual

for rendering such help.

Thanks

Chariar dasan

Oppiliappan; saranagathi; Tiruvenkatam; desikasampradaya; RamanujaandDesika; ; ; Raamabhakthi; Rajeev@parakalamath am.orgCC: ahobilavalli; hindusrikanth@ gmail.comyennappan (AT) computer (DOT) netSun, 21 Dec 2008 07:48:47 -0500Fw: Re: Cost of srardham

Sri:

- kochappa Iyengar

Oppiliappan

Adiyen,

Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ > wrote:

thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PM

>From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop

Guest guest

Respected Moderator Mama and Respected Co-Moderator Swamin,Somehow, the idea of e-bruhaspathy does not appeal to me for a vaideeha karma, especially pithru karmas. In my view, the kartha has to invite his family bruhaspathy for performing pithru karmas like Sraddham and give him Sambhavanai based on his own capacity to pay. Sambhavanai need not be based on the bruhaspathy's expectations, if any, when the kartha has no capacity to meet such expectations. Bruhaspathies will of course understand the kartha's desire to do the pithru karma, his own duties to aid him to do them and the need for him to accept whatever sambhavanai the kartha is able to give him.RegardsAdiyen, Tenparai V. PadmanabhanT V Padmanabhan Advocate

Guest guest

vaideekam , thirunarayanan swamy iyengar

<nanu_04011955 wrote:

>

> REFER SRARDHA PRAYOGAM (VAIDEEKAM GROUPS):

>

Dasan !

How to download this booklet ? Can I have the link please ?

Ilayavilli S Boovarahan

vaideekamYajur-Chradham2.pdf

it needs a password to open,

send a request to vaideekam to get the password.

nvs

Guest guest

Respectful SwAmin, adiyEn is fully with Sri nvs SwAmin. The Dhakshinai is given

not to a person, but to the Vedas. It should be considered a rare opportunity to

honour the Vedic knowledge. The Brhuspathy may be a junior but, it does not

matter, as our role is to show our respect to the Vedas or SAstram coming to our

place to help us perform our duty.

It is totlly objectionable to describe in such way the Bruhaspathy. Everyone has

freedom to express his view, but it should be done in a respectful way.

About cost, we are prepared spend excessively for material things for our

sensual pleasure, but when it comes to perform our duty like SrArdam, we are

misers.

adiyEn is sorry to express these views.

Regards,

anbil SrInivAsan

--- On Fri, 26/12/08, Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan wrote:

Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan

Fw: [srisathyanarayanaperumal_Mambalam] Fw: Re: [Vaideekam] Fw:

vaideekam

Friday, 26 December, 2008, 9:20 PM

FYI.

V.S

-

rsri

Srisathyanarayanape rumal_Mambalam

Friday, December 26, 2008 3:34 AM

Re: [srisathyanarayanap erumal_Mambalam] Fw: Re: [Vaideekam] Fw:

Dear sirs

This is my view.

Nowadays some bruhaspathys demand abnormally / or send some upa bruhaspathy who

is not that much conversant. In these cases if we have ebruhaspathy then we can

do srardham ourself by aavaahanam of our family bruhaspthy in a koorcha and

after finishinf we can leave the sambhavanai to our bruhaspathy' s home.

RSrinivasa dasan.

It not necessary or not in procedure to do AvAhanam of a bruhaspathy in a

koorcham.

Again and again do not give importance to the cost. I won't accept it.

If you feel the cost is high and not affordable why don't you learn it yourself?

You by heart the mantrams and it your own. You need not to pay for any

bruhaspathy. No shastram is saying that You mus pay something for a bruhaspathy

to perform any vaidhika karma.

What you mean vadhyar? :- 'Who teaches a lesson which we don't know or who

corrects our mistakes'.

Except vaidhika vadhyar, no vadhyar (teacher) will teach you the same lesson

(say amavasai tarpanam) for your whole life again and again.

Since last two generation only expecting vadhyar to say / teach each and every

word. This generation is very worst, they are expecting vadhhyar to teach even

Achamanam, prANAyAmam etc.

Few years back, we will say an incident for humor, which become true now.

The joke is:

When performing the brahmopadesam of a boy, the vadhyar started saying the

gayatri manra, the boy's father told to the vadhyar " Oh! Vadhyar this mantram is

familiar to me, I heard some where this mantra " !

The vadhyar told to the boy, " Your father's memory is very very high, See, how

he remembers the mantra which I told in his brahmopadesam 25 years back " ?!!

Now it can be a joke, because it became true.

nvs

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to

http://messenger./invite/

Guest guest

Dear Swamin, The Telephone number had been typed wrong in my message, hence this correction. Sorry for the error. The name and correct Phone Number are given below: Sri Sampth Bhattacharya Phone: 044 27420053 Regards, Brahmanyan, Bangalore.Oppiliappan , "brahmanyan" <abmanian wrote:>> > > > > Oppiliappan , "kochappaa" kochappaa@ wrote:> >> > Respected swamins,> > I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle> > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find> > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams.> > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins> > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the> > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I> > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor> > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing> > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such> > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other> > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the> > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home> > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I> > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate> > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such> > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some> > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and> > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> >> > adiyen> > Kochappaa> >>

Guest guest

Dear ShrimAn Kochhappa & other Esteemed members who have expressed their thoughts on the above subject: These are my humble views that somewhat differ from the views expressed so far. We all complain of the cost involved in performing Vaideeka ceremonies. We are also seeing a steady decline in anushtAnams and the aachaarams required by those who officiate in our religious ceremonies and take part in Braahmanaarthams etc., The Bruhaspathees (except a small percentage) also lack the knowledge and the Shraddha required for performing Vaideeka ceremonies correctly and (as far as possible flawlessly). Overall, the cost aspect is only a small problem associated with the performance of Vaideeka ceremonies and our focus should be to increase the quality of these activities as laid down in the Shaastraas. Also, the e-Bruhaspathy while serving a noble goal cannot replace the divine presence of a Brahmana (who practices anushTanams and aachhaarams along with the spiritual qualities of “ashta vidham pushpamâ€), that is so vital to perform vaideeka Karmas. In the USA the problem is much more acute as temple priests who are trained in aagamaas perform Vaideeka karyams. What can we do collectively to improve the situation? First: How we as “Lowkiikaas†have contributed to this problem: For people like Kochhappa, the question to be asked is: Am I contributing at least 3% of my income to Vaideeka Kaaryams and other charitable activities. Statistics show that we as Hindus completely lack the charitable spirit. We need to be generous and practice more wholeheartedly the spirit of giving. Otherwise our complaints have no meaning. We as Hindus need to increase the financial base for Vaideeka activities so that we attract talent and quality people to practice Vaideekam as a profession. We, who have given-up our village, our Vedic roots and the Brahmanical way of life (because of materialistic pursuits), should resist from complaining against the Vaadhyaars who apparently would also like to partake of the economic prosperity that we all enjoy - like cell phones, tv, cars etc - and money is the medium. Second: How can we rekindle the “lowkiikaa’s†interest in Vaideeka kaaryams?. I think the solution lies in every Sri Vaishnava Brahmana learning a minimum of Vaideeka Kaaryams along with their regular education. The matams should focus on opening summer schools (2 to 4 weeks duration) or classes (after school-hours) where children can learn simple things like performing a punyahavaachanam, Upaakarmam, Sandhya vandanam, Bhagavat aaradhanam, Agni sandhaanam, and important mantraas of upanayanam, Vivaaham and Shrarddham etc. This is the only way we can create shraddha and the high standards required to perform the Vaideeka karmas. The proposed e-bruhaspathy can certainly supplement this need but it cannot be a replacement. Finally, no organization including matams & temples can escape the need for money to offer quality services for the people that they intend to serve. We should whole-heartedly support them (by being lavish) but at the same time demanding high quality in their performance. In my humble opinion we should have a Vaideeka Association that will recognize exceptional “Bruhaspathiis†and encourage other Bruhaspathiis to constantly improve through continuing education. Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan Chakravarthy Buffalo/NYS. Vijayaraghavan Buffalo/NYOppiliappan From: kochappaaDate: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:43:42 +0530Re: Fw: Re: Cost of srardhamSri:Namaskaram to Sri. Sadagopan swamin.At the outset kindly bear with the delay in my reply. My mail did not open for 3 days.I am extremely grateful for the kind steps your goodself and Sriman nvs swamy offered. I will certainly render whatever assistance that I could do. The e bruhaspathi would be a great boon to many. I earnestly hope many asthikas will come forward to lend a helping hand.AdiyenKochappaa--- On Sun, 21/12/08, Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net> wrote:Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan (AT) computer (DOT) net>Fw: Re: Cost of srardham"Ponnappan" <Oppiliappan >, "Sgt" <saranagathi >, "SG" <Tiruvenkatam >, "DS" <desikasampradaya >, RamanujaandDesika , "Swami" , "IRS" , "RB" <Raamabhakthi >, Rajeev (AT) parakalamatham (DOT) orgCc: "av" <ahobilavalli >, "Srikanth Veeraraghavan" <hindusrikanth >Sunday, 21 December, 2008, 6:18 PM Sri: Dear Sri Kocchappa Iyengar : Thanks for your mail and staying deeply interested .Yes , Many have responded and the exchanges are good . Time has now come to take action . The intent in taking action and creating ways to address the needs of sincere AasthikAs is to come up with a solutionbased on modern technology ( Skype , Multimedia , Text and Video ) so that many who long to perform SrAddhAs butdo not have access to knowledgable Brahaspathys as well as limited by the steep costs requsted by some Bruhaspathys . We do not plan to reduce the earnings of Bruhaspathys but want to create a Bruhaspathy assisted performance of annual SraaddhAs and Maasa TarpaNams etc . The thinkingon my mind is the creation of an ebruhaspathy approach , where the karthA is assisted online . The technical problems are addressable . Precursory instructions will be provided so that one approaches the performance in a prepared state . I come from a family of Bruhaspathys , whose strength was in the Knowledge of Veda Mantraas and PrayOgams andthey earned very little .They went to extraordinary lengths for AasthikAs to recite the Mantrams precisely and follow the prayOgams without Mantra lObham . My grandfather was an expert in both the Yajur and Saama Veda prayOgams .They wer eindeed PurohitAs in the fullest sense of the term . There are a few uncompromising Bruhaspathys , who do n otlook upon their services as a business . SambhAvanai YathASakthi can be made . Those who have can give and the others can provide sambhAvanai within their means . Bottom line ,Vaidhika KarmAs are carried out and mental peace is attained thru the performance of these prescribed pitru karmAs . It will take a little time to set this all up but can be done if Sri Lakshmi Nrisimhan blesses us to proceed . A Membership oriented organization has to be built for efficent cooperation and effective scheduling .It would be more than a full time activity for that "ebruhaspathy " , who can perhaps be assisted by similar minded people to ease the load on the assumptionthat there will be a good usage of such services to AasthikAs . Let me hear from you whether you like this proposal so that I can work further on this and streamline this process . It is a major effort and it is not worth pursuingunless there is significant interest . Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan Co-Moderator , Vaideekam Groups - kochappa Iyengar Oppiliappan Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:27 AMRe: Re: Cost of srardhamAdiyen is moved by the sincere response from a number of swamins on the cost of srardham and most have concurred that concern should be for reduction of cost so that people with little or moderate finance will not be driven to think of giving up the practice. However, I doubt whether most of the bruhaspathis will ever listen, as they have their own concerns. However, I prostrate to all those swamins who took the pains to spend time to ponder on the issue. Someday, solution might come. One swami had remarked that one should understand the meaning and do the srardham. It is true but who is going to explain the detailed meaning of mantras to karthas, as bruhaspathi swamins have also have to race against time. But I request that at least if any one explain, at least briefly, the significance of the following steps in srardham, it would be of solace that the financial strain is compensated. 1.After agnisanthanm by wife and owpasanam etc., placing (dropping ) the annam with ghee in the Agni, for pithu, pitha maha, pravitha mahan, mathu pithamahi and prapithamahi. 2. Placing annam on the floor before the leaf of nimantrana swamigal, after serving food to them but before their start partaking the food. 3. Placing the rice ball to crow 4. Pinda pradhanam with water and thil after the above. Of the above, which is very vital and really goes as food to the forefarthers, so that if some bruhaspathi rushes through and omits we can ask for?Adiyen,Kochappaa--- On Mon, 15/12/08, thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ > wrote:thirunarayanan swamy iyengar <nanu_04011955@ >Re: Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanMonday, 15 December, 2008, 9:10 PMRespected swamy,I know one Sama vadhyar by name Sriman U.Ve.Devanatha Iyengar, he will help the person(s) who do not have sufficient money to pay to the vadhyaar. But he will get more sambhavanai whose status is high without fail.My periappa who was in Serangulam near Mannargudi. He will go to others house for srardham as "Swamin" take oil bath and food etc. But instead of sambhavanai, he will accept only " THULASI THALAM". Similarly, my mutual understanding when my periappa does srardham in his house, the swami will also take only THULASI THALAM as sambhavanai from my periappa.No one should demand money. We have to do all ceremonies by mutual understanding only.S.THIRUNARAYANAN of Karappangadu--- On Tue, 9/12/08, kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > wrote:kidambi1950 <kidambi1950@ > Re: Cost of srardhamOppiliappanTuesday, 9 December, 2008, 10:43 PMOppiliappan, "kochappaa" <kochappaa@.. .> wrote:> i accept the views expressed by Sri. Kochappa. the brahaspathis has to consider the fianancial capacity of the karthas. moreover many of the brahapathis are not even bothered to perform the rites/rituals in full and many times, if the kartha is not having any knowledge of the mantras, they skip the mantras and complete the srartham in 30 minutes. so it is time for them to relaise and come forward to help the poor brahmins. ofcourse, i am capable of meeting the demands of the vadhyars but writing this letter over my willingness that the poor should not stop the srarthams due to financial bvurden k.r.narasimhan> Respected swamins,> I want to share a haunting thought of mine. I am a retired middle > class pensioner in Banglaore. For the past 3 or so years I find > things are becoming very costly for doing annual pitru srardhams. > The charges are like this: Rs.650 for Bruhaspathi + small coins > Rs.50, Rs.600 for 2 swmingals, Rs.700 for thaligai swami and the > provisions Rs. 600. Thus the total cost of a srardham is Rs.2600. I > have to do two per year and arrange for the srardham of my poor > sister who passed away. Many middle class bramins must be facing > this kind of music. Can any middle class person can afford such > costs? Whether any other people from other religion or even other > caste people would spend like this annually on remembering the > departed souls? Rs.500 if donated to an orphanate or oldage home > would feed atleast 25 mouths. Where is our sect heading towards. I > am sure that unless our sect wakes up and rationalise and regulate > these fleecing bruhaspathis, the whole custom of peforming such > rites would quickly vanish. It is time, our mutts start some > registered body where they should register these bruhaspahtis and > swamins and fix reasonable tariff also.> > adiyen > Kochappaa>Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger. From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same†you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now.