group that I am moderating temporarily at the request

of Sri Vaasu VaadhyAr can only be answered by

the Founder of this Aasthika Group . It appears that

He has very good intentions of addressing the spiritual needs

of all AasthikAs .

Vedam is nothing but Manthrams , where Svaram

is central . Even a slight variation can give the opposite

effect of waht one is seeking . This tradition needs to be

protected as it always has been in the form of oral tradition .

Very elaborate means have been created to keep the Svarams

associated with the Veda ManthrAs . Kaanchi PeriyaVAl was

expressing , practising and protecting this ancient tradition

of Manthra dhrashtAs , who assembled these manthrams of Vedams,

which are the breath of the Lord . Saama Vedam is a calssical case

of how elaborate these Svarams are protected . If one is fortuanate

to hear Saama Vedam rendered in the three different SaakhAs , one can

appreciate it .

By the way , I am in the middle of recording Purusha Sookthams recited in

the four SamhithAs and their different SaakhAs . As you might know ,

Purusha Sooktham is the only assembly of Veda Manthrams that is

part of all the Four VedAs .

Rudram is right smack in the middle of Yajur Vedam and as Veda Manthram

is recited as a part of the full Veda PaarAyaNam by Vedic adhyApAka Ghoshti

.. It can not be disassembled since it is part of the Vedams .

VaishNavite Bruhaspathys will not perform Sri Rudra Homams

(Athirudhrams etc) . I have written extensively about the Meanings of

Sri Rudram , the Veda Manthram and that came to 100 plus pages .

This was before my Prapatthi . If anyone wants to hear Sri Rudram being

chanted , they should visit Thirusur Vadakku Naathar Temple during

Athirudra Homams , which are done periodically . When VaishNavites

recite Sri Rudram , they meditate on Sriman NaarAyaNan as the indweller

of Rudran and address their prayers to Him .

Prapatthi is a defining moment for a VaishNavan or Aasthikan .At hat time ,

the person performing Prapatthi takes a vow to worship Sriman

NaarAyaNa as the Supreme Lord and focuses on Him alone to protect

his/her Prapatthi .

V.Sadagopan

-

" Suresh Jayaraman " <sureshjraman

<vaideekam >

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:10 AM

Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

> Forum,

>

> A related question here:

>

> 0. Why is it told that veda parayanam have to be learnt by the word of

> mouth? Even a script reading is prohibited(as per paramacharya

> chandrashekar

> saraswathi). Why is that ?

>

> 1. Why is it important that veda parayanam has to be done with the proper

> SWARAM??

>

> Note:

> I am indeed surprised to see the mention of Rudram Chamakam in this forum

> as

> most of the discussion inclined towards vaishnavism in the past. No

> offense

> meant here please.

>

> Regards

> Suresh

>

>

>>raman subramanian <rahul_remya

>>vaideekam

>>vaideekam

>>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

>>Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:32:36 -0700 (PDT)

>>

>>Dear Sada Gopan Sir,

>>The site --Ramanuja-cannot be opened in my system.Sorry to disturb u,Can u

>>briefly tell me if chanting of Rudram Chamakam and PurushaSuktham is

>>eneough at the time of Pradosam.I knew only that and no chance for any

>>other reading is possible here.

>>Hare Krisha-Raman-Dubai

>>

>>sgopan <sgopan wrote:

>>Dear Members :

>>

>>In Ahobila Matam , special PaarAyaNam and Thirumanjanam

>>are done during PradhOshams as a part of VisEsha AaarAdhabam

>>for SvarNa Narasimhan .

>>

>>The details are available at :

>>http://www.Ramanuja.org/sv/Bhakti/archives/rituals/june2002/0019.html

>>

>>Please refer to it .

>>V.Sadagopan

>>-

>>Melarkode Venkateswaran Suresh

>>vaideekam

>>Cc: subramanian rama

>>Monday, September 12, 2005 1:56 PM

>>[Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

>>

>>

>>

>>Pradhosha Mahima

>>-----------------

>>Pradhosha pooja is one of the most important among the poojas performed to

>>the Graceful Lord Shiva. In Shukla Paksha (15 moon days from New moon to

>>Full moon) and Krishna Paksha (15 moon days from Full moon to New moon)

>>the

>>evening of the trayodasi (thirteenth moon day) between 4.30 p.m. to 6.00

>>p.m. is called Pradhosha. It comes once in fifteen moon days. Pradhosha

>>time is especially meant for praying Lord Shiva. Praying in that time will

>>free us from out sins and gives moksha finally (hence the name Pradhosha).

>>During pradoSha time a special type of circumambulating called soma sUtra

>>pradaxiNam(1) is done.

>>

>>Pradhosha Purana:

>>

>>Once Dhevas and Asuras using the serpent Vasuki and the hill Mandhara were

>>trying to get Amrutham (nector) from the Kseerabthi (milk ocean). Then the

>>terrible poison Halahalam came up. All got frightened and pleaded to Lord

>>Shiva for rescue. Being the peak of mercy Lord Shiva ate that poison. Then

>>as per His order they resumed their effort to get Amrutham. They got it on

>>Dhwadhasi (twelfth moon day). Without praying and thanking the God, by

>>whom

>>they got Amrutham, Devas started dancing and celebrating their victory.

>>

>>On thrayodhasi (thirteenth moon day) they realised their sin of not

>>praying

>>the God and pleaded for forgiveness. The pleased graceful Lord Shiva

>>forgave them and danced between the horns of the Nandhi (holy bull). That

>>time is called Pradhosham. Whoever prays Lord Shiva in that time, Lord

>>Shiva fulfills their wishes and give them mukthi.

>>

>>During Prodhosha time anointing (Abhishekam) the Shiva deity with the

>>following is considered fruitful.

>>

>>

>>

>>Milk gives long life

>>Ghee gives Moksha state

>>Curd gives good children

>>Honey gives melodious voice

>>Rice powder frees from debts

>>Sugar cane juice gives good health

>>Panjamrutham gives wealth

>>Lemon removes fear of death

>>Sugar removes enmity

>>Tender coconut gives enjoyment

>>Cooked Rice(Annam) gives mejestic life

>>Sandal gives Lakshmi's grace

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 subramanian rama wrote :

>> >Respected swami,

>> >

>> >Could you please explain the significance of pradosham ?

>> >

>> >Regards

>> >

>> >S.GOPAL

>> >

>> >

>> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 vaideekam wrote :

>> > >-----------------I am here to help you ever -----------------------

>> > >To Post a message, send it to: vaideekam

>> > >To Leave this group send a message to:

>>vaideekam-

>> > >---------------------------Access Trouble? -------------------------

>> > >Be active member, Use all the features: Chat, Files, Photos, Links,

>>Polls, calander. If you have any trouble to use the above web features;

>>you

>>may need to use the " Membership Wizard " to access the above web features.

>> > >http://help./help/us/groups/groups-52.html

>> > >Still you have problem? Do write to me.

>> > >------------------------Did you know ? ------------------------------

>> > >You can easily find solutions for any of your " Vaideeka " needs;

>> > >Just visit

>> > >http://www.ahobilam.com/

>> > > once; plenty of information there!

>> > >Have nice day!

>> > >With Best regards,

>> > >Moderator

>> > >My Groups

>> > >|

>> > >

>> > >vaideekam Main Page

>> > >We would like to remind you of this upcoming event.

>> > >Pradhosham

>> > >Thursday, September 15, 2005

>> > >Time: 5:00PM - 8:00PM IST (GMT+05:30)

>> > >Maadha Pradhosham

>> > >

>> > > Visit your group "

>> > >vaideekam

>> > > " on the web.

>> > >

>> > >

Guest guest

Respected Sadagopan Sir,

A wonderful reply to a good query.Continue to illuminate us till eternity. Sakalaatthaiyum Bhagavan Thangallukku Arullattum.Kindly share your brief profile with all members so that we may get a better glimpse of you.

Regards

Bharat.

sgopan <sgopan wrote:

Dear Sri Jayaraman :Your questions about the scope of the Vaideekamgroup that I am moderating temporarily at the requestof Sri Vaasu VaadhyAr can only be answered bythe Founder of this Aasthika Group . It appears thatHe has very good intentions of addressing the spiritual needsof all AasthikAs .Vedam is nothing but Manthrams , where Svaramis central . Even a slight variation can give the oppositeeffect of waht one is seeking . This tradition needs to beprotected as it always has been in the form of oral tradition .Very elaborate means have been created to keep the Svaramsassociated with the Veda ManthrAs . Kaanchi PeriyaVAl wasexpressing , practising and protecting this ancient traditionof Manthra dhrashtAs , who assembled these manthrams of Vedams,which are the breath of the Lord . Saama Vedam is a

calssical caseof how elaborate these Svarams are protected . If one is fortuanateto hear Saama Vedam rendered in the three different SaakhAs , one canappreciate it .By the way , I am in the middle of recording Purusha Sookthams recited inthe four SamhithAs and their different SaakhAs . As you might know ,Purusha Sooktham is the only assembly of Veda Manthrams that ispart of all the Four VedAs .Rudram is right smack in the middle of Yajur Vedam and as Veda Manthramis recited as a part of the full Veda PaarAyaNam by Vedic adhyApAka Ghoshti . It can not be disassembled since it is part of the Vedams .VaishNavite Bruhaspathys will not perform Sri Rudra Homams(Athirudhrams etc) . I have written extensively about the Meanings ofSri Rudram , the Veda Manthram and that came to 100 plus pages .This was before my Prapatthi . If anyone wants to hear Sri Rudram beingchanted , they should visit Thirusur Vadakku Naathar

Temple duringAthirudra Homams , which are done periodically . When VaishNavitesrecite Sri Rudram , they meditate on Sriman NaarAyaNan as the indwellerof Rudran and address their prayers to Him .Prapatthi is a defining moment for a VaishNavan or Aasthikan .At hat time ,the person performing Prapatthi takes a vow to worship SrimanNaarAyaNa as the Supreme Lord and focuses on Him alone to protecthis/her Prapatthi .V.Sadagopan- "Suresh Jayaraman" <sureshjraman<vaideekam >Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:10 AMRe: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima> Forum,>> A related question here:>> 0. Why is it told that veda parayanam have to be learnt by the word of> mouth? Even a script reading is prohibited(as per paramacharya > chandrashekar> saraswathi). Why is that

?>> 1. Why is it important that veda parayanam has to be done with the proper> SWARAM??>> Note:> I am indeed surprised to see the mention of Rudram Chamakam in this forum > as> most of the discussion inclined towards vaishnavism in the past. No > offense> meant here please.>> Regards> Suresh>>>>raman subramanian <rahul_remya>>vaideekam >>vaideekam >>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima>>Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:32:36 -0700 (PDT)>>>>Dear Sada Gopan Sir,>>The site --Ramanuja-cannot be opened in my system.Sorry to disturb u,Can u>>briefly tell me if chanting of Rudram Chamakam and PurushaSuktham is>>eneough at the time of Pradosam.I knew only that and no chance for any>>other reading

is possible here.>>Hare Krisha-Raman-Dubai>>>>sgopan <sgopan wrote:>>Dear Members :>>>>In Ahobila Matam , special PaarAyaNam and Thirumanjanam>>are done during PradhOshams as a part of VisEsha AaarAdhabam>>for SvarNa Narasimhan .>>>>The details are available at :>>http://www.Ramanuja.org/sv/Bhakti/archives/rituals/june2002/0019.html>>>>Please refer to it .>>V.Sadagopan>>->>Melarkode Venkateswaran Suresh>>vaideekam >>Cc: subramanian rama>>Monday, September 12, 2005 1:56 PM>>[Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima>>>>>>>>Pradhosha Mahima>>----------------->>Pradhosha

pooja is one of the most important among the poojas performed to>>the Graceful Lord Shiva. In Shukla Paksha (15 moon days from New moon to>>Full moon) and Krishna Paksha (15 moon days from Full moon to New moon) >>the>>evening of the trayodasi (thirteenth moon day) between 4.30 p.m. to 6.00>>p.m. is called Pradhosha. It comes once in fifteen moon days. Pradhosha>>time is especially meant for praying Lord Shiva. Praying in that time will>>free us from out sins and gives moksha finally (hence the name Pradhosha).>>During pradoSha time a special type of circumambulating called soma sUtra>>pradaxiNam(1) is done.>>>>Pradhosha Purana:>>>>Once Dhevas and Asuras using the serpent Vasuki and the hill Mandhara were>>trying to get Amrutham (nector) from the Kseerabthi (milk ocean). Then the>>terrible poison Halahalam came up. All got frightened

and pleaded to Lord>>Shiva for rescue. Being the peak of mercy Lord Shiva ate that poison. Then>>as per His order they resumed their effort to get Amrutham. They got it on>>Dhwadhasi (twelfth moon day). Without praying and thanking the God, by >>whom>>they got Amrutham, Devas started dancing and celebrating their victory.>>>>On thrayodhasi (thirteenth moon day) they realised their sin of not >>praying>>the God and pleaded for forgiveness. The pleased graceful Lord Shiva>>forgave them and danced between the horns of the Nandhi (holy bull). That>>time is called Pradhosham. Whoever prays Lord Shiva in that time, Lord>>Shiva fulfills their wishes and give them mukthi.>>>>During Prodhosha time anointing (Abhishekam) the Shiva deity with the>>following is considered

fruitful.>>>>>>>>Milk gives long life>>Ghee gives Moksha state>>Curd gives good children>>Honey gives melodious voice>>Rice powder frees from debts>>Sugar cane juice gives good

health>>Panjamrutham gives wealth>>Lemon removes fear of death>>Sugar removes enmity>>Tender coconut gives enjoyment>>Cooked Rice(Annam) gives mejestic life>>Sandal gives Lakshmi's grace>>>>>>>>>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 subramanian rama wrote :>> >Respected swami,>> >>> >Could you

please explain the significance of pradosham ?>> >>> >Regards>> >>> >S.GOPAL>> >>> >>> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 vaideekam wrote :>> > >-----------------I am here to help you ever ----------------------->> > >To Post a message, send it to: vaideekam >> > >To Leave this group send a message to:>>vaideekam- >> > >---------------------------Access Trouble? ------------------------->> > >Be active member, Use all the features: Chat, Files, Photos, Links,>>Polls, calander. If you have any trouble to use the above web features; >>you>>may need to use the "Membership Wizard" to access the above web features.>> > >http://help./help/us/groups/groups-52.html>> > >Still you have problem? Do write to me.>> > >------------------------Did you know ? ------------------------------>> > >You can easily find solutions for any of your "Vaideeka" needs;>> > >Just visit>> > >http://www.ahobilam.com/>> > > once; plenty of information there!>> > >Have nice day!>> > >With Best regards,>> > >Moderator>> > >My Groups>> > >|>> > >>> > >vaideekam Main Page>> > >We would like to remind you of this upcoming event.>> > >Pradhosham>> > >Thursday, September 15, 2005>> > >Time: 5:00PM - 8:00PM IST (GMT+05:30)>> >

>Maadha Pradhosham>> > >>> > > Visit your group ">> > >vaideekam>> > >" on the web.>> > >>> > >

Guest guest

Dear Sri Bharat IyengAr :

Thanks very muchf ro your reply .

I can only introduce myself at this stage as

the fortunate sishyan of Srimath Azhagiya Singar's

Thiruvadi .

From a Loukeekam point of view , I hail from Oppilaippan Sannidhi

( ThiruviNNagara Dhivya desam ) from a family of VaidheekAs (Bruhaspathys) .

I recieved three graduate degrees from Madras , Annamalai universities

and the third from Indian Institute of Science , Bangalore before coming to

USA for further studies and employment . The three other Graduate degrees upto

the Doctor of Science degree was earned at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

in EE and Material Engineering . After that I ahve worked for IBM Research for 26 years

before retiring to start my own consulting firm on Multimedia / Distance Learning / Computer

Security .

I am interested in temple Kaimkaryams in India and here and serve as

the Vice Chairman of Sri RanganAtha Temple at Pomona , NY built on

the command of HH Mukkur Azhagiya Singar and recieves direction from

HH the current Azhagiya Singar , Sri NaarAyaNa YathIndhra MahA Desikan ,

who blesse dme with Prapatthi in the year 2000 and saved me from future

cycles of births and deaths .

I moderate the Oppiliappan , SaraNAgathy and Raama Bhakthi groups for the past few years .

Sri Vaasu VadhyAr is doing a great Kaimkaryam . I am living and working in New York and

am cut off from the main stream of Scholars in Chennai and else where in India . Please

support these scholars and sources there . A case in point is the Vaidhika Training

that goes on at MadhurAnthakam Schools on behalf of the Vaidhika Community to

prepare young scholars to address our needs in understandign SaasthrAs .

It has gotten longer . Hence I stop here .

V.Sadagopan

-

Bharat Iyengar

vaideekam

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:55 AM

Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

Respected Sadagopan Sir,

A wonderful reply to a good query.Continue to illuminate us till eternity. Sakalaatthaiyum Bhagavan Thangallukku Arullattum.Kindly share your brief profile with all members so that we may get a better glimpse of you.

Regards

Bharat.

sgopan <sgopan wrote:

Dear Sri Jayaraman :Your questions about the scope of the Vaideekamgroup that I am moderating temporarily at the requestof Sri Vaasu VaadhyAr can only be answered bythe Founder of this Aasthika Group . It appears thatHe has very good intentions of addressing the spiritual needsof all AasthikAs .Vedam is nothing but Manthrams , where Svaramis central . Even a slight variation can give the oppositeeffect of waht one is seeking . This tradition needs to beprotected as it always has been in the form of oral tradition .Very elaborate means have been created to keep the Svaramsassociated with the Veda ManthrAs . Kaanchi PeriyaVAl wasexpressing , practising and protecting this ancient traditionof Manthra dhrashtAs , who assembled these manthrams of Vedams,which are the breath of the Lord . Saama Vedam is a calssical caseof how elaborate these Svarams are protected . If one is fortuanateto hear Saama Vedam rendered in the three different SaakhAs , one canappreciate it .By the way , I am in the middle of recording Purusha Sookthams recited inthe four SamhithAs and their different SaakhAs . As you might know ,Purusha Sooktham is the only assembly of Veda Manthrams that ispart of all the Four VedAs .Rudram is right smack in the middle of Yajur Vedam and as Veda Manthramis recited as a part of the full Veda PaarAyaNam by Vedic adhyApAka Ghoshti . It can not be disassembled since it is part of the Vedams .VaishNavite Bruhaspathys will not perform Sri Rudra Homams(Athirudhrams etc) . I have written extensively about the Meanings ofSri Rudram , the Veda Manthram and that came to 100 plus pages .This was before my Prapatthi . If anyone wants to hear Sri Rudram beingchanted , they should visit Thirusur Vadakku Naathar Temple duringAthirudra Homams , which are done periodically . When VaishNavitesrecite Sri Rudram , they meditate on Sriman NaarAyaNan as the indwellerof Rudran and address their prayers to Him .Prapatthi is a defining moment for a VaishNavan or Aasthikan .At hat time ,the person performing Prapatthi takes a vow to worship SrimanNaarAyaNa as the Supreme Lord and focuses on Him alone to protecthis/her Prapatthi .V.Sadagopan- "Suresh Jayaraman" <sureshjraman<vaideekam >Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:10 AMRe: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima> Forum,>> A related question here:>> 0. Why is it told that veda parayanam have to be learnt by the word of> mouth? Even a script reading is prohibited(as per paramacharya > chandrashekar> saraswathi). Why is that ?>> 1. Why is it important that veda parayanam has to be done with the proper> SWARAM??>> Note:> I am indeed surprised to see the mention of Rudram Chamakam in this forum > as> most of the discussion inclined towards vaishnavism in the past. No > offense> meant here please.>> Regards> Suresh>>>>raman subramanian <rahul_remya>>vaideekam >>vaideekam >>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima>>Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:32:36 -0700 (PDT)>>>>Dear Sada Gopan Sir,>>The site --Ramanuja-cannot be opened in my system.Sorry to disturb u,Can u>>briefly tell me if chanting of Rudram Chamakam and PurushaSuktham is>>eneough at the time of Pradosam.I knew only that and no chance for any>>other reading is possible here.>>Hare Krisha-Raman-Dubai>>>>sgopan <sgopan wrote:>>Dear Members :>>>>In Ahobila Matam , special PaarAyaNam and Thirumanjanam>>are done during PradhOshams as a part of VisEsha AaarAdhabam>>for SvarNa Narasimhan .>>>>The details are available at :>>http://www.Ramanuja.org/sv/Bhakti/archives/rituals/june2002/0019.html>>>>Please refer to it .>>V.Sadagopan>>->>Melarkode Venkateswaran Suresh>>vaideekam >>Cc: subramanian rama>>Monday, September 12, 2005 1:56 PM>>[Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima>>>>>>>>Pradhosha Mahima>>----------------->>Pradhosha pooja is one of the most important among the poojas performed to>>the Graceful Lord Shiva. In Shukla Paksha (15 moon days from New moon to>>Full moon) and Krishna Paksha (15 moon days from Full moon to New moon) >>the>>evening of the trayodasi (thirteenth moon day) between 4.30 p.m. to 6.00>>p.m. is called Pradhosha. It comes once in fifteen moon days. Pradhosha>>time is especially meant for praying Lord Shiva. Praying in that time will>>free us from out sins and gives moksha finally (hence the name Pradhosha).>>During pradoSha time a special type of circumambulating called soma sUtra>>pradaxiNam(1) is done.>>>>Pradhosha Purana:>>>>Once Dhevas and Asuras using the serpent Vasuki and the hill Mandhara were>>trying to get Amrutham (nector) from the Kseerabthi (milk ocean). Then the>>terrible poison Halahalam came up. All got frightened and pleaded to Lord>>Shiva for rescue. Being the peak of mercy Lord Shiva ate that poison. Then>>as per His order they resumed their effort to get Amrutham. They got it on>>Dhwadhasi (twelfth moon day). Without praying and thanking the God, by >>whom>>they got Amrutham, Devas started dancing and celebrating their victory.>>>>On thrayodhasi (thirteenth moon day) they realised their sin of not >>praying>>the God and pleaded for forgiveness. The pleased graceful Lord Shiva>>forgave them and danced between the horns of the Nandhi (holy bull). That>>time is called Pradhosham. Whoever prays Lord Shiva in that time, Lord>>Shiva fulfills their wishes and give them mukthi.>>>>During Prodhosha time anointing (Abhishekam) the Shiva deity with the>>following is considered fruitful.>>>>>>>>Milk gives long life>>Ghee gives Moksha state>>Curd gives good children>>Honey gives melodious voice>>Rice powder frees from debts>>Sugar cane juice gives good health>>Panjamrutham gives wealth>>Lemon removes fear of death>>Sugar removes enmity>>Tender coconut gives enjoyment>>Cooked Rice(Annam) gives mejestic life>>Sandal gives Lakshmi's grace>>>>>>>>>>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 subramanian rama wrote :>> >Respected swami,>> >>> >Could you please explain the significance of pradosham ?>> >>> >Regards>> >>> >S.GOPAL>> >>> >>> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 vaideekam wrote :>> > >-----------------I am here to help you ever ----------------------->> > >To Post a message, send it to: vaideekam >> > >To Leave this group send a message to:>>vaideekam- >> > >---------------------------Access Trouble? ------------------------->> > >Be active member, Use all the features: Chat, Files, Photos, Links,>>Polls, calander. If you have any trouble to use the above web features; >>you>>may need to use the "Membership Wizard" to access the above web features.>> > >http://help./help/us/groups/groups-52.html>> > >Still you have problem? Do write to me.>> > >------------------------Did you know ? ------------------------------>> > >You can easily find solutions for any of your "Vaideeka" needs;>> > >Just visit>> > >http://www.ahobilam.com/>> > > once; plenty of information there!>> > >Have nice day!>> > >With Best regards,>> > >Moderator>> > >My Groups>> > >|>> > >>> > >vaideekam Main Page>> > >We would like to remind you of this upcoming event.>> > >Pradhosham>> > >Thursday, September 15, 2005>> > >Time: 5:00PM - 8:00PM IST (GMT+05:30)>> > >Maadha Pradhosham>> > >>> > > Visit your group ">> > >vaideekam>> > >" on the web.>> > >>> > >

Guest guest

Sincere thanks mama.

BTW, I am curious to know if I can get your recordings and writings on veda

works.

Namaskarams

Suresh

> " sgopan " <sgopan

>vaideekam

><vaideekam >

>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

>Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:44:15 -0400

>

>Dear Sri Jayaraman :

>

>Your questions about the scope of the Vaideekam

>group that I am moderating temporarily at the request

>of Sri Vaasu VaadhyAr can only be answered by

>the Founder of this Aasthika Group . It appears that

>He has very good intentions of addressing the spiritual needs

>of all AasthikAs .

>

>Vedam is nothing but Manthrams , where Svaram

>is central . Even a slight variation can give the opposite

>effect of waht one is seeking . This tradition needs to be

>protected as it always has been in the form of oral tradition .

>Very elaborate means have been created to keep the Svarams

>associated with the Veda ManthrAs . Kaanchi PeriyaVAl was

>expressing , practising and protecting this ancient tradition

>of Manthra dhrashtAs , who assembled these manthrams of Vedams,

>which are the breath of the Lord . Saama Vedam is a calssical case

>of how elaborate these Svarams are protected . If one is fortuanate

>to hear Saama Vedam rendered in the three different SaakhAs , one can

>appreciate it .

>

>By the way , I am in the middle of recording Purusha Sookthams recited in

>the four SamhithAs and their different SaakhAs . As you might know ,

>Purusha Sooktham is the only assembly of Veda Manthrams that is

>part of all the Four VedAs .

>

>

>

>Rudram is right smack in the middle of Yajur Vedam and as Veda Manthram

>is recited as a part of the full Veda PaarAyaNam by Vedic adhyApAka Ghoshti

>. It can not be disassembled since it is part of the Vedams .

>VaishNavite Bruhaspathys will not perform Sri Rudra Homams

>(Athirudhrams etc) . I have written extensively about the Meanings of

>Sri Rudram , the Veda Manthram and that came to 100 plus pages .

>This was before my Prapatthi . If anyone wants to hear Sri Rudram being

>chanted , they should visit Thirusur Vadakku Naathar Temple during

>Athirudra Homams , which are done periodically . When VaishNavites

>recite Sri Rudram , they meditate on Sriman NaarAyaNan as the indweller

>of Rudran and address their prayers to Him .

>

>Prapatthi is a defining moment for a VaishNavan or Aasthikan .At hat time ,

>the person performing Prapatthi takes a vow to worship Sriman

>NaarAyaNa as the Supreme Lord and focuses on Him alone to protect

>his/her Prapatthi .

>

>V.Sadagopan

>

>

>

>

>-

> " Suresh Jayaraman " <sureshjraman

><vaideekam >

>Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:10 AM

>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

>

>

> > Forum,

> >

> > A related question here:

> >

> > 0. Why is it told that veda parayanam have to be learnt by the word of

> > mouth? Even a script reading is prohibited(as per paramacharya

> > chandrashekar

> > saraswathi). Why is that ?

> >

> > 1. Why is it important that veda parayanam has to be done with the

>proper

> > SWARAM??

> >

> > Note:

> > I am indeed surprised to see the mention of Rudram Chamakam in this

>forum

> > as

> > most of the discussion inclined towards vaishnavism in the past. No

> > offense

> > meant here please.

> >

> > Regards

> > Suresh

> >

> >

> >>raman subramanian <rahul_remya

> >>vaideekam

> >>vaideekam

> >>Re: [Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

> >>Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:32:36 -0700 (PDT)

> >>

> >>Dear Sada Gopan Sir,

> >>The site --Ramanuja-cannot be opened in my system.Sorry to disturb u,Can

>u

> >>briefly tell me if chanting of Rudram Chamakam and PurushaSuktham is

> >>eneough at the time of Pradosam.I knew only that and no chance for any

> >>other reading is possible here.

> >>Hare Krisha-Raman-Dubai

> >>

> >>sgopan <sgopan wrote:

> >>Dear Members :

> >>

> >>In Ahobila Matam , special PaarAyaNam and Thirumanjanam

> >>are done during PradhOshams as a part of VisEsha AaarAdhabam

> >>for SvarNa Narasimhan .

> >>

> >>The details are available at :

> >>http://www.Ramanuja.org/sv/Bhakti/archives/rituals/june2002/0019.html

> >>

> >>Please refer to it .

> >>V.Sadagopan

> >>-

> >>Melarkode Venkateswaran Suresh

> >>vaideekam

> >>Cc: subramanian rama

> >>Monday, September 12, 2005 1:56 PM

> >>[Vaideekam] Pradhosha Mahima

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>Pradhosha Mahima

> >>-----------------

> >>Pradhosha pooja is one of the most important among the poojas performed

>to

> >>the Graceful Lord Shiva. In Shukla Paksha (15 moon days from New moon to

> >>Full moon) and Krishna Paksha (15 moon days from Full moon to New moon)

> >>the

> >>evening of the trayodasi (thirteenth moon day) between 4.30 p.m. to 6.00

> >>p.m. is called Pradhosha. It comes once in fifteen moon days. Pradhosha

> >>time is especially meant for praying Lord Shiva. Praying in that time

>will

> >>free us from out sins and gives moksha finally (hence the name

>Pradhosha).

> >>During pradoSha time a special type of circumambulating called soma

>sUtra

> >>pradaxiNam(1) is done.

> >>

> >>Pradhosha Purana:

> >>

> >>Once Dhevas and Asuras using the serpent Vasuki and the hill Mandhara

>were

> >>trying to get Amrutham (nector) from the Kseerabthi (milk ocean). Then

>the

> >>terrible poison Halahalam came up. All got frightened and pleaded to

>Lord

> >>Shiva for rescue. Being the peak of mercy Lord Shiva ate that poison.

>Then

> >>as per His order they resumed their effort to get Amrutham. They got it

>on

> >>Dhwadhasi (twelfth moon day). Without praying and thanking the God, by

> >>whom

> >>they got Amrutham, Devas started dancing and celebrating their victory.

> >>

> >>On thrayodhasi (thirteenth moon day) they realised their sin of not

> >>praying

> >>the God and pleaded for forgiveness. The pleased graceful Lord Shiva

> >>forgave them and danced between the horns of the Nandhi (holy bull).

>That

> >>time is called Pradhosham. Whoever prays Lord Shiva in that time, Lord

> >>Shiva fulfills their wishes and give them mukthi.

> >>

> >>During Prodhosha time anointing (Abhishekam) the Shiva deity with the

> >>following is considered fruitful.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>Milk gives long life

> >>Ghee gives Moksha state

> >>Curd gives good children

> >>Honey gives melodious voice

> >>Rice powder frees from debts

> >>Sugar cane juice gives good health

> >>Panjamrutham gives wealth

> >>Lemon removes fear of death

> >>Sugar removes enmity

> >>Tender coconut gives enjoyment

> >>Cooked Rice(Annam) gives mejestic life

> >>Sandal gives Lakshmi's grace

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 subramanian rama wrote :

> >> >Respected swami,

> >> >

> >> >Could you please explain the significance of pradosham ?

> >> >

> >> >Regards

> >> >

> >> >S.GOPAL

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 vaideekam wrote :

> >> > >-----------------I am here to help you ever -----------------------

> >> > >To Post a message, send it to: vaideekam

> >> > >To Leave this group send a message to:

> >>vaideekam-

> >> > >---------------------------Access Trouble? -------------------------

> >> > >Be active member, Use all the features: Chat, Files, Photos, Links,

> >>Polls, calander. If you have any trouble to use the above web features;

> >>you

> >>may need to use the " Membership Wizard " to access the above web

>features.

> >> > >http://help./help/us/groups/groups-52.html

> >> > >Still you have problem? Do write to me.

> >> > >------------------------Did you know ?

>------------------------------

> >> > >You can easily find solutions for any of your " Vaideeka " needs;

> >> > >Just visit

> >> > >http://www.ahobilam.com/

> >> > > once; plenty of information there!

> >> > >Have nice day!

> >> > >With Best regards,

> >> > >Moderator

> >> > >My Groups

> >> > >|

> >> > >

> >> > >vaideekam Main Page

> >> > >We would like to remind you of this upcoming event.

> >> > >Pradhosham

> >> > >Thursday, September 15, 2005

> >> > >Time: 5:00PM - 8:00PM IST (GMT+05:30)

> >> > >Maadha Pradhosham

> >> > >

> >> > > Visit your group "

> >> > >vaideekam

> >> > > " on the web.

> >> > >

> >> > >

Guest guest

Suresh Jayaraman wrote:

> Forum,

>

> A related question here:

>

> 0. Why is it told that veda parayanam have to be learnt by the word of

> mouth?

We will not be knowing where we committ mistakes in rendering (swaram,

aksharam, spelling) if we read The Vedhas on our own. That's why we

have to necessarily chant and learn thro' a Guru only. Only a Guru can

correct where we go wrong.

> Even a script reading is prohibited(as per paramacharya chandrashekar

> saraswathi). Why is that ?

>

The Vedhas are to be chanted with swaram only and if recited otherwise

bad results may happen. That's why normal book like reading is prohibited.

> 1. Why is it important that veda parayanam has to be done with the proper

> SWARAM??

>

May be resonance? (Physics people may throw light on this)

> Note:

> I am indeed surprised to see the mention of Rudram Chamakam in this

> forum as

> most of the discussion inclined towards vaishnavism in the past. No

> offense

> meant here please.

>

Rudram, Chamakam are not forbidden things. Every Srivaishanvite , at the

time of learning The Vedhas,has to necessarily chant them. Leave them

alone, we are praying to various demi gods in PunyAhavAchanam (eg:

Indra-Suneethi Sahamaa Punaathu, Yamo Raajaa.. etc).

I request Mama to correct me if I am wrong.

Dhasan,

Ilayavilli S Boovarahan

Guest guest

During thrayodasi pradhosham is practiced at ahobila matam. At the same

time narasimha jayanthi was also at pradhosahm but on chaturdasi. Can

any one explain why this. Also at Uthamar koil the shiva deity comes

around purushathaman temple on thrayodasi.

Dasan

koothapakkam jillu

Guest guest

Namaskarams,

Re: Pradosham, it is celeberated in most of the Shiva Temples and the diety is taken around on prakarams. For the pradosham, a special prasadam (offering) _KAPPARISI is prepared and offered to the diety and distributed. Many people do pooja at this time. This is practised in Tamil Nadu temples and also in tempes in other States also where Tamil braAhmins are patronising the temples. I have seen In Andhra Pradesh temples also even non-brahmins participate in pradosham. Many people plan and make sure that they go to Temple during this time (eventhough it is during office working hours). But the real benefits or reason or the origion behind this is not clear.

I was earlier under the impression that pradosham is performed only in Shiva Temples. From our group I am happy to know that this is a holy time for Vaishanvites also.

In such a case there should be some common reason.

Adiyen

Rajasekaran."R.Srinivasan" <rsri wrote:

During thrayodasi pradhosham is practiced at ahobila matam. At the sametime narasimha jayanthi was also at pradhosahm but on chaturdasi. Canany one explain why this. Also at Uthamar koil the shiva deity comesaround purushathaman temple on thrayodasi.Dasankoothapakkam jillu

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.