MoondrAm thiruvandhAdhi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sri Parthasarathi thunaiSrimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara MunayE NamahaSri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-15

"paNintuyarindha powvath paduthiraigaL mOdha paNindhapaNa maNikaLAlE – aNindhan

ganandhanaNai kidakkuammAn adiyEn manandhanaNai kidakkum vandhu"

paNindhu vuyarindha – humble and tallpowvam paduthiraigal – that waves in the ocean;

mOdha – dash on all sides;panindha – (Like an umbrella protecting the divine body from the splashing droplets) covering;

paNam – in the hoods;manigaLAlE – with the gems;

aNindha – decorated with;anandhan – thiruvanandhAzhvan;

aNai – on top of the divine bed;kidakkum – Reclining;

ammAn – sarvEshvaran (feeling restless);

angu – from there;vandu – started and came;

adiyEn than – to my humble self's;manam aNai – on the bed of my mind;

kidakkum – he reclines;

Introduction

In the earlier paasurams, azhvar mentioned the easy and tough ways to reach the lord. While questioned, 'Which way did you choose among the above?' Peyazhvar answers, 'In my case, He by his nirheduka krupa (unconditional grace) came and entered my mind. So I didn't have to put in any special efforts.'

Commentary

(paNinduyarindha powva paduthiraigal mOdha) Instigated by the wish to touch the divine lord, the waves in the ocean raise high and fall in all directions. Not considering the softness of the Lord's divine body water droplets are splashing on Him like rocks.

Is there noone to protect that soft divine body that could be hurt even by small droplets of water? Why not?

(paNindha panamaNigaLAlE aNindha) protecting the divine thirumeni from even a small droplet falling on Him there is a umbrella decorated with sparkling gems on top of the hood

Who is that?

(anandhan) ThiruvanandhAzhvan who does all sorts of divine service to the Lord. "sendrAl kudaiyAm erundhAl singAsanamAm…"

(aNaikidakkum ammAn) sarveshvaran reclining on the divine serpant bed.

ThiruvandhAzhvan is filled with endless compassion and love towards the lord. 'astAnE bhaya sankai' he doubts even sincere devotees due to the fear of any harm coming to the Lord. So will he allow any droplet to harm emperumAn?

(angu anandhan aNaikidakkum ammAn) That lord who reclines on the serpant bed. The Lord's bed itself is the proof for his supremacy.

(vandu adiyEn manandhan aNai kidakkum) But He couldn't peacefully rest on the serpant bed. So he started towards my heart and with incredible love reclined in the bed of my devotion filled heart.

(angu kidakkum ammAn vandu adiyEn manandhan aNai kidakkum) The same Lord who reclines there has come to recline in my heart. How could He do that? He left a soft, cool, fragrant bed and came to lie in a bed of rocks.

When all the people in Ayodhya requested Sri Rama to return back to the kingdom, perumal refused and started towards the forest to protect the rishis from the rakshasas. Similarly when the nithyasooris take care of the Lord so well day in and day out the Lord out of his great compassion descends to this world to uplift each one of us. If we allow Him to enter He will enter each one of our minds like He did for pEyAzhvar. So pEyAzhvar in this paasuram thus declared that when the Lord himself has come to my heart what do I have to do?

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsan/dAseeVaradarajan/Sumithra