IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Shayana Pradakshinam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

COuld you please tell me if only men are allowed o do this? Or women can also do

shayana pradakshinam?

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Dear Devottee

Nowadays only men are allowed to do Shayana Pradakshinam .Women are allowed to

perform Ottayadi Pradakshinam

Gopalakrishnan

guruvayur , jinu_4 <no_reply wrote:

>

> COuld you please tell me if only men are allowed o do this? Or women can also

do shayana pradakshinam?

>

Guest guest

Dear all,Radhe Krishna! " Sayana-pradakshinam " can be done by one and all.   Many people perform it as a " Prarthana " or in Malayalam, a " Nerccha " to the Lord, especially when they promise the Lord, " If you let my wish fulfilled " , I shall perform a sayana-pradakshnam.?     They do not really understand the significance of " Sayana=pradakshinam. "     Whether such offering made to the Lord  in exchange for some favour we have received is another matter, and we dont go into it now,

Is the Lord benefitted by the devotee's performing a sayana-pradakshinam, or for that, by anything that we promise as " Nerccha " ? Why should the Lord worry whether the devotee performs a pradakshimam at all?   Or even a so-called " Vazhipadu " ?   Whether we, the devotees go to the temple or not, whether we perform pradakshinam or chant stotras, it is for our own sake.  Not for God's.  We get the mental satisfaction that we have done something good.   When we perform a Vazhipadu and distribute the prasadam and share  it with other devotees, we get a special satisfaction.  It is all in our mind.

When we perform a pradakshinam, we are treading over hundreds of metres of land previously trodden over by millions of devotees.   The divine vitality or " Divya-chaitanyam " that accrues due to so many multitudes of Bhaktas treading the path of pradakshinam is absorbed by us also, and that goes to enhance our Bhakti.

What happens when we perform a " sayana-pradakshinam " ?  We are exposing our entire physical body to that path trodden by millions of devotees, and we absorb that divya chaitanyam or divine positive energy through the surface of the entire body.   And to add to it, we are in total surrender to the Lord in what we call " Saranagati " .   When a person offers himself in body and spirit to the Lord in total surrender, he becomes one of the foremost of Bhaktas.   And we know that Bhakti is one of the most important ingredients to attain Mukti.

I have just scribbled what occurred to me when I read the query, and if what I have written is wrong, kindly correct me.  ( I am appealing to the more knowledgeable seniors,)RegardsKVG.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:13 AM, jinu_4 <no_reply > wrote:

COuld you please tell me if only men are allowed o do this? Or women can also do shayana pradakshinam?

-- न करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¾ न पà¥à¤°à¤œà¤¯à¤¾ धनेन तà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤—ेनैके अमृततà¥à¤µà¤®à¤¾à¤¨à¤¶à¥:| परेण नाकं निहितं गà¥à¤¹à¤¾à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ विभà¥à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤¤à¥‡ यदà¥à¤¯à¤¤à¤¯à¥‹ विशनà¥à¤¤à¤¿||  कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿  മംഗളം  നാമ  യസàµà´¯  വാചി  പàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡              ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿  തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ  മഹാപാതകകൊടയ:    .

Guest guest

Hello,

I agree with the email below. In Guruvayoor, women are not allowed to perform

Sayanapradakshinam. There is a board there which says that. I think there was a

prasnam conducted a while ago about this, and they found out that Bhagavan does

not like women doing this nercha. It was then converted into the ottayadi

pradakshinam which the Lord says gives equivalent benefit to women as the

sayanapradakshinam.

However, all these rules apply to Guruvayoor temple. There are a lot of temples

where men and women both do this nercha.

Anjana

guruvayur , " gopalkrishna25 " <gopalakrishnan.marath

wrote:

>

> Hare Krishna,

>

> Dear Devottee

>

> Nowadays only men are allowed to do Shayana Pradakshinam .Women are allowed to

perform Ottayadi Pradakshinam

>

> Gopalakrishnan

>

> guruvayur , jinu_4 <no_reply@> wrote:

> >

> > COuld you please tell me if only men are allowed o do this? Or women can

also do shayana pradakshinam?

> >

>

Hi everybody

I was looking for some details on shayanpradakshinam by women in guruvayur temple. I wanted to know more about the Ottayadi Pradakshinam for women.....can pl somebody tell me the how it is done, the rules to follow when doing the Pradakshinam, etc.

Thank you

Physically women are not suited to do sayanapradakshina because it may harm their working of faminine organs. They can better perform bhakthi marga, like chanting the hare krishna mahamantra or they may do pada-pradakshinam. But when they do pada-pradakshinam its result will never be equal to that of the sayanapradakshinam.

If so, a man doing pada-pradakshinam also should get equal results.

Guest aditi

Can u plss tel me d temple in which women r allowed to do sayanapradakshinam? ? In kerala or karnataka.....