IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

...was also 'maya'.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sri Ramakrishna spoke of the unripe understanding of non-duality that can get us into difficulties. Here is the story he told regarding it:“In a certain forest lived a holy man who had many disciples. Once he taught the disciples that they should bow down to all recognizing that God dwells in all beings. One day one of the

disciples went to the

forest to bring firewood for the sacrificial fire. All of a sudden there was an outcry, ‘Run, run all, wherever you are! A mad elephant is passing!’ Everybody ran, but the disciple did not flee. He knew that the elephant was also God. So he thought, ‘Why should I run away?’ So thinking he stood still and began to sing praises, bowing before the animal. The mahout on the elephant was, however, shouting, ‘Run, run!’ The disciple still did not move. Finally the elephant came and lifting him up with its trunk threw him on one side and left. The disciple was heavily bruised and lay unconscious on the ground.“Hearing what had happened his teacher and the other disciples came and carried him to the ashram. He was given medicine. Upon his regaining consciousness sometime later some one asked him, ‘Why did

you not run away after hearing that the elephant was coming?’ He said, ‘The teacher had told me that God himself had become all these men, animals and the rest. That is why I did not move away, seeing that it was only God who was coming as elephant.’ The teacher then said, ‘Yes, my child, it is true that the elephant God was coming, but the mahout God did warn you. Since all are God why did you not pay heed to his words? One should also listen to the words of the mahout God.’â€A serial killer and a saint are fundamentally the same, but our conduct in relation to them had better be based on their difference.Copied from http://www.atmajyoti.org/hi_gita_commentary_44.aspInterestingly an 'advaitin' who had just argued with a friend about the 'non-duality' also ran away to safety. When the friend met him later laughed at his 'advaita' saying -' Wasn't the rogue elephant maya ?'. The 'advaitin' replied - 'yes'. 'Then if all were 'maya' why did you run away?'

asked his friend. The 'advaitin' replied -'yes. my running away was also 'maya'.

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.