Jump to content
IndiaDivine.org

Hinduism-Manudharma

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I have a doubt. Since ages we have been following Manu. For most part in the past, even till recently, bigamy is not a taboo. Even our gods, kings, advisors, purohits, and the serving class all had resorted to bigamy. So, can we say that bigamy may be illegal, but not immoral and unethical?

Posted

As the Manu Smruti has a few dharmas which can be incorporated today. But the Yagnavalkya smruti has all of these ONLY nd more which are suitable for this Kaliyug.

 

Whereas its not teh same for Manu Smruti. Thats all.

Posted

Indeed there is nothing wrong with bigamy or polygamy or polyandry. The condition is that one must keep all these spouses happy.... AND THAT is the trouble. Keeping one spouse happy in this day and age is difficult enough.

Posted

It seems kind of pointless when we have the same number of men and women. I don't know, but I've always imagined that the point of polygamy was mainly because of there being less men than women(wars etc), and the women needing protection.

 

I suppose nowadays it is mostly greedy men who are interested in polygamy.

Posted

"I've always imagined that the point of polygamy was mainly because of there being less men than women(wars etc), and the women needing protection."-Haridasdasdas

 

Reagarding Post no 6,It appears to be logical, and convincing. Thankyou Haridasdasdasji!

 

So can we still say that bigamy or polygamy is though illegal, it is not unethical and immoral?

Posted

 

"I've always imagined that the point of polygamy was mainly because of there being less men than women(wars etc), and the women needing protection."-Haridasdasdas

 

Reagarding Post no 6,It appears to be logical, and convincing. Thankyou Haridasdasdasji!

 

So can we still say that bigamy or polygamy is though illegal, it is not unethical and immoral?

 

Thank you.

 

I wouldnt say unethical or immoral, but simply impractical, and if it were practised widely it could threaten society, with jealous men being killed because of the shortage of wives.

Posted

 

Thank you.

 

I wouldnt say unethical or immoral, but simply impractical, and if it were practised widely it could threaten society, with jealous men being killed because of the shortage of wives.

 

 

yes. It is impracticable. We are a Hindu state, we quote from Manu dharma, but we follow the legal sysytem of the British. No changes.

 

So what happens to te 2nd/3rd spouse, when it is illegal as per Hindu law,

but not illegal as per Muslim law? Won't it spur people to adopt Islam?

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...