IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
empy

Hinduism&HareKrishna movement

Rate this topic

Dear all,

I have a doubt regarding the presiding deities of Puri jagannath temple.

I understand that they are Lord krishna, balarama, and Subhadr their Sister.

Then, how come these siblings are worshipped, leaving their spouses? Am I wrong? -Prasad

Legend surrounding the temple originThe traditional story concerning the origins of the temple is that the original image of Jagannath (a deity form of Krishna) was found near a fig tree in the form of an Indranila or the Blue Jewel. It was so dazzling that Dharma wanted to hide it in the earth. King Indradyumna of Malwa wanted to find the image and to do so he performed harsh penances to obtain his goal. Vishnu then instructed him to go to the Puri seashore and find a floating log to make an image from its trunk. The King found the log of wood. Vishnu and Vishwakarma appeared in the form of artistes and prepared images of Krishna, Balarama and Subhadra from the tree.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-8>[9]</SUP>.

It may be true, but all the time we are used to worshpping couples as the almighty. But in case of Puri Jagannath, this looks odd.

Or, are they not siblings,or is like our worshiping Rama, seeta, and lakshman together?

- Prasad.