IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ranjeetmore

Ramacharita manasa : the tuth about Lord Shiva

Rate this topic

.Remembering this I disclose my folly; dispel it, taking pity on this servant, my lord!

The saints as well as the Pur.Äas and the Upani¦ads too declare that the potency of the

name .R.ma. is unlimited. The immortal Lord Ýiva, who is the fountain of joy and a

storehouse of wisdom and goodness, incessantly repeats It.There are four broad

divisions of living beings in the world; such of them as die in the holy city of kasi attain to the highest state. This too marks the glory of Sri Rama's Name, O

chief of sages; for it is this very Name that Lord Ýiva mercifully imparts to the dying soul

in kasi.I ask you, my lord, who that Rama is; pray explain to me, O storehouse of

compassion. One such Rama is the prince of Ayodhy. whose exploits are known

throughout the world. Infinite was his sorrow due to the loss of his wife; and flying into

a rage he slew RavanÄa in battle..

I shall repeat now to the best of my lights the dialogue between Uma(Goddess

P.rvat¶) and sambhu (Lord Ýiva). Hear, O sage, the time and the occasion of this

dialogue; your gloom will be lifted.

Once upon a time, in the age of Tret., Lord Ýiva called on the jar-born sage

Agastya. His consort, Goddess Sat¶, Mother of the universe, accompanied Him. The

sage worshipped Him knowing Him to be the universal lord. The great sage narrated at

length the story of R.ma and Lord MaheÜa listened to it with extreme delight. The sage

then inquired about Devotion to Hari and Ýambhu discoursed on it finding in the sage

a fit recipient. Thus narrating and hearing the tale of sri Rama.s virtues, the Lord of

Kail.sa (Ýiva) spent some days there. Finally, asking leave of the sage, the Slayer of

the demon Tripura, sankara, proceeded to His home (Mount Kail.sa) with Dak¦a.s

daughter (Sat¶). During those very days, with a view to relieving the burden of the earth,

sri Hari had descended in the line of king Raghu. Renouncing His right to the Throne at

the word of His father (DaÜaratha), the immortal Lord was wandering in the DaÄÎaka

forest in the garb of an ascetic.

Lord Hara (Ýiva) kept pondering as He went, .How can I obtain a sight of Him?

The Lord has bodied Himself forth secretly; and if I visit Him, everyone will know who

He is.. In sankara.s heart there was a great tumult; Sat¶, however, had no inkling of this

secret. His mind, says Tulas¶d.sa, apprehended lest the secret might be disclosed while

the temptation of obtaining a sight of the Lord made His eyes wistful.

The fool (R.vaÄa) carried off king Videha.s daughter (S¶t.) by

fraud; the Lord.s real might was not known to him. Having killed the antelope Ýr¶ Hari

returned with His brother (Lak¦maÄa) ; and His eyes were filled with tears when He saw

the empty hermitage. The Lord of Raghus felt distressed at the loss like a mortal man,

and the two brothers roamed about in the woods in search of Her. He who knows neither

union nor separation showed unmistakable signs of grief born of separation.

Exceedingly mysterious are the ways of the Lord of Raghus; the supremely wise

alone can comprehend them. The dull-witted in their height of folly imagine something

quite different.

On that very occasion Ýambhu saw Ýr¶ R.ma and excessive joy of an

extraordinary type welled up in His heart. He feasted His eyes on that Ocean of

Beauty; but He did not disclose His identity as He knew it was no appropriate

occasion for the same. The Destroyer of Cupid, Ýiva, passed on exclaiming .Glory to

the Redeemer of the universe, who is all Truth, Consciousness and Bliss!. As Ýiva

went on His way with Sat¶, the all-merciful Lord was repeatedly thrilled with joy. When

Sat¶ beheld Ýambhu in this state, a grave doubt arose in Her mind: .Sankara is a Lord

of the universe Himself, and deserves universal adoration; gods, men and sages all

bow their head to Him. Yet He made obeisance to this prince, referring to him as the

Supreme Being who is all Truth, Consciousness and Bliss. He was enraptured to

behold his beauty and felt an upsurge of emotion in His heart, which He is unable to

control even to this moment!.

.The Supreme Eternal, which is all-pervading, unbegotten, without parts, free from

desire, beyond M.y. and beyond all distinction and which not even the Vedas can

comprehend.can It assume the shape of a man?.

.Even Vi¦Äu Who takes a human form for the sake of gods, is omniscient like the

Slayer of Tripura, Ýiva. Can He wander in search of His Consort like an ignorant man.

He who is a repository of knowledge, the Lord of Ýr¶ (the goddess of prosperity) and the

slayer of demons? The words of Ýambhu too cannot be false. Everyone knows that He

is all-wise.. Thus Her mind was filled with an interminable series of doubts; Her heart

could not be pacified by any means. Although Bhav.n¶ (Goddess P.rvat¶) did not open

Her lips, Lord Hara, Who is the inner controller of all, came to know everything. .Look

here, Sat¶, the woman is foremost in you; you should never harbour such a doubt in your

mind. He is no other than R.ma, the Hero of Raghu.s race, My beloved Deity, whose

story was sung by the jar-born sage Agastya, faith in whom was the subject of the talk

I gave to him and whom illumined sages ever wait upon

.He who has bodied Himself forth as the Jewel of Raghu.s race for the sake of

His devotees is no other than the Supreme Eternal, who is all-pervading and ever free,

who is the Ruler of all the worlds and the Lord of M.y., whom illumined sages, Yog¶s

(mystics) and Siddhas (adepts) constantly meditate upon with their sinless mind and

whose glory is sung by the Vedas as well as the Pur.Äas and other scriptures in

negative terms as .not this.

Although Lord Ýiva repeated this time after time, His exhortation made no

impression on the heart of Sati. Then the great Lord Ýiva smilingly said, realizing in His

heart the potency of sri Hari.s Maya.

.I heeded not the word of ÝaÆkara and imposed My own ignorance on R.ma.

What reply shall I give to my lord now?. The agony of Her heart was most terrible. Ýr¶

R.ma perceived that Sat¶ had got vexed; He, therefore, revealed to Her a part of His

glory. As She went on Her way Sat¶ beheld a strange phenomenon. R.ma was going

ahead of Her alongwith His Consort, S¶t., and His younger brother, Laksmana. She

looked back and there too She saw the Lord with His brother and Sita. in an attractive

garb. Whichever way She turned Her eyes, there was the Lord enthroned with the

Siddhas (adepts) and illumined sages ministering to Him. Sati saw more than one sets

of siva, Brahma and Visnu, each set possessing a glory infinitely greater than that of the

others. She also beheld a whole host of gods bowing at the Lord.s feet and waiting upon

Him in their different garbs.

She further perceived innumerable Satis(consorts of siva), consorts of Brahma.

and Laksmis (consorts of Visnu), all peerless in beauty. They conformed in their

appearance to the garb in which Brahm. and the other gods appeared.

Each separate vision of R.ma was attended by a whole host of gods with their

feminine counterparts, as well as by the whole animate and inanimate creation with its

multitudinous species. But while the gods who adored the Lord appeared in diverse

garbs, the appearance of sri Rama was the same in every case. Although She saw

many R.mas with as many Sitas, their garb did not vary. Seeing the same R.ma, the

same Lak¦maÄa and the same Sita., Sati was struck with great awe.Her heart quivered,

and She lost all consciousness of Her body. Closing Her eyes she sat down on the

wayside. When She opened Her eyes and gazed once more, the daughter of Daksa saw

nothing there. Repeatedly bowing Her head at the feet of sri R.ma, She proceeded to

the spot where the Lord of Kail.sa was.