IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Government control of temples weakening Hinduism

Rate this topic

Government control of temples weakening Hinduism

By J G Arora

Though India is a Secular Republic, and though secularism commands separation of state and religion, State governments have taken over all prominent Hindu temples and shrines which is an anti-secular act. The best part is that only Hindu temples have been targeted for government control whereas no Christian church or Muslim mosque has been touched.

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=280&page=43

In Bhadrachalam and Simhachalam, hundreds of acres of temple land have been given to Christian organisations. Moreover, the Endowment department has sold over 1,600 acres of Srisailam Temple land to various missionary organisations. And in 2005, 245 acres of prime land belonging to Seetharama Chandra Swamy temple at Devarayamjal was sold at throwaway price causing huge loss to the temple. And in 2006, the centuries old, 1,000 pillar Mandapam in Tirumala complex was demolished.

Situation in other states is equally appalling. As reported in a section of the Press, for the years 1997-98 to 2002-2003 for which figures are available, major portion of temple income in Karnataka was allocated to madrasas, mosques and churches; whereas temples got only a little amount.

The problem is with the present Congress Government, not Indian Government and the ruling party in the State Government.

In these kind of issues, BJP Government performs well. I used to boast about secularism a few years back. When my brahmin friends told me do not vote for Congress, i saw it in a different way. Now i realise it myself. I wouldnt go into politics though, but if you really want Hinduism surviving, then always vote for the right party.