IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sambya

does the style of upavita vary?

Rate this topic

in samrta bengal ive seen upavita containing three set of threads each containing three other,making the total number nine. in iskcon i saw upavitas with 2 sets of three. some oriyan brahmins wears yellow upavita while some wears white. then again in ancient temple sculptures we come across ratnopavita or upavita strung with jewels.moreover many tantric devi murtis are said to have nag yajnopavita meaning a upavita of a living snake.in my own personal upananyan ceremony i came across the kusa upavita(as much i can remember.).i have also read previously that the kusa grass girdle used to tie the cloth or deer skin around the waist later metamorphosed into upavita.hence im rather curious to know :

1- origin and its develpement

2- the concept of ratnopavita,was it ever in actual use?

3- did ladies ever wear upavita as the nag yajnapavitas seem to suggest in tantrik devis?

4- whats the number of threads in different parts of the country and faiths.

5-why the difference in colour?

i have also read previously that the kusa grass girdle used to tie the cloth or deer skin around the waist later metamorphosed into upavita.hence im rather curious to know :

1- origin and its develpement

2- the concept of ratnopavita,was it ever in actual use?

3- did ladies ever wear upavita as the nag yajnapavitas seem to suggest in tantrik devis?

4- whats the number of threads in different parts of the country and faiths.

5-why the difference in colour?

The Manu-smriti offers a few details about the materials used for the upavita, differentiated by cast. If memory serves, it is Vaiśya = Hemp, Kṣatrīya = Silk, and Brāhmaṇa = Jute or Cotton.

As for the function, there is an Atharva Veda hymn which speaks about a guru sitting the disciple on the lap for three nights just after the upanāyana-dikṣa and teaching the secrets of brahman. My research is incomplete here, but a provisional suggestion would be its function is that of measuring angles and distances between stars, for reasons which would be obvious to one versed in Vedic lore.