IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ganesh_bhakta

Is Hare Krishna Hindu?

Rate this topic

Namaste all,

I have asked online if Hare Krishna is Hindu, and they have said no. And also, I know in the book "Science of Self-Realization", chapter three, Prabhupada says directly it is not Hindu.

So, I'm assuming that it isn't.

I e-mailed a Gaudiya Vaishnava site and they say Gaudiya Vaishnavism is within Hinduism. So what's going on with that?

I would post my links, but it won't let me without fifteen posts.

I do not mean to start an argument or hurt anyone's feelings. I just seek clarification.

Thank you all for any help you can provide!

Hare Krishna is absolutely Hindu --but, simply said, the name 'Hindu' did not exist in ancient times.

Also the word 'Hindu' is not a sanskrit derived word [bereft of sanskrit ethyomology].

Hare Krishna is ultra-orthodox, whose theology represents orthodox Vedic Science of Yoga culminating in the Vedas orthodox Final Revelation namely, none other then "Krishna" the suprema persona of Godhead.

The term "Hindu" is from external cultures used in recent antiquity as broad sweeping catch-all name for the Culture of Peoples living beyond the Indus Valley and Sindhu River --spoken by Trade route outposts along the Silk Road passing to China.

"Hindu" is a colloquialism. [it is simular to denizens of the island of Porto Rico in the Caribbean Sea, where they refer themselves as "Boriquas" (Bo ree kwas) which is the indigenous Indians of the Island before Christopher Columbus's New World discoveries].

Krishna was hidden in the Hindu canon of Vedic Scripture and but was known to its culture as such--but remember the emencity of the Indian Sub-continent and thus the multitude of geographical veriety of provincial differents in 'midieval' commoners of recent Western "C.E./A.D." antiquity.

Namaste bhaktajan,

Then why does Prabhupada say that it is not Hindu? I'm perplexed by this issue now. But thank you for answering my first question. :)

He says that because Krishna consciousness is NOT Hindu.

Krishna consciousness refers to the purified state of one's consciousness. Krishna consciousness is eternal meaning it has not beginning or ending. Something that has a beginning and an end cannot give birth to that which is unborn or without beginning.

Baby scorpions emerge from piles of rice but that does not mean they are produced by the rice piles. The mother scorpion just laid her eggs there. Only foolish people consider the rice is the genesis of scorpions based on their limited vision and intelligence.

Similarly Krishna consciousness in particular and God consciousness in general are not produced by the 'rice piles' of culture and religion from which they may be seen.

He says that because Krishna consciousness is NOT Hindu. -- it is not sectarian, it is universal.

Hindu is limited to 'India Proper'. Just like the way that Hatha-yoga is not restricted to 'being a Hindu' --so Krishna [as the Supreme Godhead as He is in India's Ancient Scriptures has come to the consciousness of the world] has appeared on the scene, while all hellacious events rain all around, to bring Transcendental karma to all interested parties.

An aside: I have learnt over the years that other people

who have also come to Krishna Consciousness

have not taken the path I have, namely:

I studied the Bible and then

Ravi Shakara's music and then

Japanese Jujitsu's Warriors Code and then

the Buddhist Sutras and then

the Gita and then

Ayur-veda and then

Hatha-yoga and then

Classical silent sitting (& moving) Meditation,

Study of Metaphysics and then came

the remarkable term used by Srila Prabhupada,

"The Supreme Personality of Godhead" --

['Could these Vaishnava's back-up this term?' Was my question] then

the Srimad-Bhagavata-purana and Sri Chaitanya-Caritamrita, Krishna Prasadam eating and then cooking ... etc etc etc.

But that's just me.

Namaste all,

I have asked online if Hare Krishna is Hindu, and they have said no. And also, I know in the book "Science of Self-Realization", chapter three, Prabhupada says directly it is not Hindu.

So, I'm assuming that it isn't.

I e-mailed a Gaudiya Vaishnava site and they say Gaudiya Vaishnavism is within Hinduism. So what's going on with that?

I would post my links, but it won't let me without fifteen posts.

I do not mean to start an argument or hurt anyone's feelings. I just seek clarification.

Thank you all for any help you can provide!

sorry i dont know english language, i try to explain the truth.

what is hindu? hindu means its a just name, actually muslims kept name for vedic culture. the word "VEDA" means knowladge. hare krishna (ISKCON) following and leaning god knowladge from vedas, lord krishna is supreme lord. he is not depand with religion,lord krishna is like only pure and true devotional service. in vedas says one who says (i am this religion like hindu and any other) means he is equal to animal.

sory for my pour english.

Awesome..!!, is the word..You are real Bhakta..Thanks for your reply..

I just saw the discussion and i felt nice that you have answered to the point, Prescise and mind blowing.

Krishna Bhakta

Practicing KC...

Krishna Bhakta prabhu,

Thank you for your kind words. In all honesty though you do not know me well enough to say I am a "Real Bhakta". We must be careful because many people can fool us with well spoken words while their hearts remain dark.

Mine is such a darkened heart. I have little taste when it comes to chanting the holy names or devotion work. Sometimes I like to think about Krishna but I am stuck on this mental platform only.

I am not trying to sound humble, rather this is an honest assessment of my current position. Unable to even perform vaidhi bhakti I can only think about it sometimes.

Thank you for joining our cyber sanga. We grow together.

y/s theist

Hi,

The reference to the temporal aspect is troublesome. If there is not beginning and no end, then the temporal dimension of the "being" is zero. Sadly to be made up out of the particles that describe existance, time is a necessity by Einstein's Time Space Duality Theorum. As a result we would not say that Krishna' or any being, exists that is outside the temporal dimension; i.e., is not made up out of particles known in our universe. Thies leaves us only with believing rather than knowing.

Now for my question: Why are people that are involved in sprititual concepts or religions adverse to the idea of knowing as apposed to believing? Why not simply test the "existance" and know the answer rather than having to believe something. Why religate "God" to an untestable hypothesis that is only important enough to be believed in rather than known?

Pete