IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sarva gattah

Woman cannot be given Sannyasa - Srila Prabhupada

Rate this topic

Bombay

My dear Aditya,

Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 28th January, 1976.

The spirit soul is equal in either a man or woman. One who is actually engaged in the service of Krishna, there is no such distinction as man or woman. In the Bhagavad-gita, 6th Chapter, 1st Verse it is stated anasritah karma-phalam karijam karma karoti yah/ sa sannyasi ca yogi ca na niragnir na cakriyah.

Anyone acting for Krishna, he is a sannyasi or sannyasini. It is also stated: striyo vaisyas tatha sudras te'pi yanti param gatim. So spiritually, everyone is equal. But materially a woman cannot be given Sannyasa. But you should not be bothered because you are serving on the spiritual platform.

I hope this meets you well.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

7/16/7o Letter to Nevatiaji

Regarding Swamis and ``Swaminies,'' you have been misinformed. Among my disciples there is only one Swami or Sannyasi, but there is no ``Swaminie.''

Woman is never offered Sannyasa in the Vedic culture.

Up to Vanaprastha stage the woman may remain with her husband as assistant or friend without any sex relation, and when a man takes Sannyasa the woman has no connection with him.

I am very sorry to inform you that there are some Indian ``Swamis'' in this country who are living with so-called ``Swaminies,'' but so far we are concerned we follow strictly the Vedic principles.

Your ever well-wisher,

Malati is a sannyasi and is on GBC.

Srila Prabhupada - "Anyone acting for Krishna, he is a sannyasi or sannyasini. It is also stated: striyo vaisyas tatha sudras te'pi yanti param gatim. So spiritually, everyone is equal. But materially a woman cannot be given Sannyasa. But you should not be bothered because you are serving on the spiritual platform.

Your ever well-wisher,

7/16/7o Letter to Nevatiaji

So, ask the local GBC to explain this letter. It seems pretty straight forward to me. I remember Kirtananda Swami gave Sannyas to women which was bogus

From Hari Sauri Prabhu

bul1.gifQ&As: women sannyasis

<SMALL>12 November 2008 </SMALL>

November 12 2008

We sometimes hear outlandish stories attributed to Srila Prabhupada. Here’s a curious question I received some months ago from Laksmana Prana dasa:

“I heard one story that may have serious conclusions, and therefore I would like to ask your either to confirm or to refute.

One mataji who preached a lot begged Shrila Prabhapada to give her sannyasa, referring to Jahnava Ma. Prabhupada gave her sannyasa and in one month that mataji left the movement forever and got married to a karmi.”

Answer:

I never heard this before. As far as I know Srila Prabhupada never gave sannyasa to a woman. It would have been completely contradictory to everything he ever said on the topic. I think this is a completely bogus story.

In 1976 requests for sannyasa were becoming frequent. Indeed, Srila Prabhupada gave sannyasa to seven men at the Gaura Purnima festival:

resize-of-ct89-166.JPG

But he never gave sannyasa to a woman even though he was asked:

[TD Vol 1] February 4, 1976 - Mayapur

The acceptance of sannyasa has become so popular recently that even some of the ladies are asking about it.

Aditya dasi sent an enquiry from Bombay. “I am writing this letter on behalf of myself, as well as the other women in our Society. Sometimes the question has come up, but no one seems to know the real answer, about sannyasinis.

I know that sannyasa is the highest order of spiritual life, therefore is it not possible that we can be eligible? Myself, I do not feel like a woman, although I am in this body.”

Prabhupada’s reply was concise and clear. Quoting from Bhagavad-gita, he told her the soul is neither man nor woman, and for those engaged in Krsna’s service, there is no distinction between man and woman. “Anyone acting for Krsna, he is a sannyas or sannyasini.

Spiritually everyone is equal. But materially a woman cannot be given sannyasa. But you should not be bothered because you are serving on the spiritual platform.”

http://www.lotusimprints.com/new/blog/?p=482