IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ashvatama

Testimony of physical, emotional and pschological abuse by a Gurukuli

Rate this topic

Testimony of physical, emotional and pschological abuse in 1995 by a Gurukuli student at Vrndavana India

By: Radhanath das

Aug 11, UK — My name is Radhanath das. I studied at the Manor Gurukula form my nursery education up until I moved to Vrindavana Gurukula in 1995. I studied in Vrindavan until February of 2000 when ill health forced me to return to England.

I wish to make it clear that during my time in the Gurukula I was never personally hit or sexually abused by my teachers. I was however, witness to what was considered 'corporal punishment' under the policy of the Gurukula. I have personally seen Gauri das carry out this punishment and this is the incident I will discuss rather than incidents that occurred before my time at the Gurukula.

At the time of the incident I was in Vrindavan Das' ashram. It would have been either 1995 or 1996. The age of the boys in my ashram at this time would have been between 9 and 11 years old.

Two boys, Haridas (from Hong Kong) and Atula Krsna (from India), had been teasing Mahavana (from Australia). There had been some name-calling and when they threw dirty cleaning rags at Mahavan, he went to Gauri das' room and complained.

The two boys were called to his room and informed they would receive corporal punishment at the lunchtime inspection in front of the rest of the boys. In my opinion this was an extremely harsh punishment for the level of teasing that had occurred.

By the time the lunch inspection arrived the anticipation of the punishment was terrifying not only for the two boys involved but for most of the ashram. We lined up as usual in the double bedroom and Gauri das entered the room and called the two boys forward.

They were made to stand in front of the group with their hands folded, Gauri began to lecture them on how what they had done was disgusting, and they would be punished for it.

His voice raised during this speech til he was shouting. I was extremely frightened and remember physically shaking and trying to close my eyes without being noticed. This was not a calm disciplinary, this was an angry man shouting at young children.

He proceeded to slap Haridas round the face very hard. He then turned to Atula Krsna to slap him. As he raised his hand Atula moved away in fear. Gauri became furious.

He shouted for Atula to stand in front of him and in my opinion he slapped him harder for moving away.

Afterwards both boys’ faces were red and swollen. Both were crying. I might add that these two boys were probably the smallest boys in our ashram at the time.

I was recently presented with a document, signed by myself and other members of Gauri's ashram stating that he was a great teacher and we disagreed with his being investigated for a second time. I would like to take the time top put this document into perspective.

I was 13 at the time and in no position to be used to testify to incidents that had occurred before my time in the school. I am only now becoming aware of the way in which such investigations were handled and to be honest I am disgusted.

There was no impartiality and anyone disagreeing with Braja Bihari's and other higher staff's finding was ignored. And you would have thought we'd have learnt from the mistakes of the Catholic Church!

When I signed that document Gauri was taking time off and we were under the care of Braj Bihari. I didn't dare disagree with the vice principal who was also married to Ananda Vrindavan dasi, the head of academics.

Other attempts by myself and others to speak up for ourselves was treated with contempt and punishment; and this was only regarding the decisions of academic teachers.

If we would have spoken out we would have undoubtedly been expelled instantly. For me this was a greater threat than any punishment, as it would mean disappointing my family and causing them to lose money on my tuition fees. So I said nothing and signed the paper.

I have recently spoken to Gauri das directly about these incidents and others I have heard about. He convinced me that his actions were necessary and that he was in fact responsible for regulating then ending corporal punishment altogether.

He used his relationship as a family friend since my early manor days to turn the conversation to other topics and move away from the issues I raised. He also played on the fact that I was never beaten due to his then friendship with my father.

I do not think Gauri really understands the implications of his actions for the children enrolled in the Gurukula whilst he was in charge. If he did an unconditional apology would surely have been issued years ago and he would never have dreamed of taking his position at the Manor.

I do not believe Gauri is a danger to children at present. But he does claim he only did what he did as it was what was expected of him. The fact that recent evidence, from the time his powers of corporal punishment were revoked, show that he wanted to continue to discipline the children means that he intended to go 'above and beyond the call of duty'. This is a far cry from his belief that he tried to end corporal punishment.

The Manor's decisions to stand by him in response to a recent article published in the Asian Eye newspaper is appalling. The impression their comments left in my mind was that they seemed to deny any abuse occurred, let alone at the hands of Gauri.

Despite the effects this case may have on the Manor or the movement only harm will come if it is covered up again. The Gurukulis are beginning to speak up and we can't be ignored forever.

Whoever you are reading this I ask that you investigate this matter properly. Very serious matters are being addressed. The fact that Gauri hasn't been removed while this is investigated baffles me somewhat.

By Radhanath dasa ex-gurukuli Vrndavana 1995

Yes, this is what emotional, physical and psychological abuse can lead too by those who felt they have been used, abused amd made to feel insecure.

Open Letter to Kripamoya on Gauri's Forced Resignation

By Sanaka Rsi Dasa

Aug 12, UK— Hare Krsna Kripamoya Prabhu, Please accept my humble obeisance’s. All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

My name is Sanaka Rsi das. We have met a few times at the Bhaktivedanta Manor. I grew up in the Gurukula at Villa Vrindavana near Florence, in Italy. In 1990 I was enrolled in the Bhaktivedanta Swami International Gurukula in Vrindavana, India, where Gauri das was my asrama teacher.

Throughout the review of Gauri das's case, I have liaised with the ISKCON Child Protection Office (CPO) as the spokesperson for the numerous former students of Gauri das that submitted testimonies of mistreatment.

I was disturbed in reading the recent correspondence between yourself and Bhakta Rob, in the recent Sun article entitled "Correspondence with Kripamoya PrabhuAs your letter was a public statement to the wider congregation of devotees, I am compelled to reply with an open letter.

What I find concerning when I observe the history of ISKCON is our authorities' too often resolute and inveterate loyalty and protection afforded to members of the society that have been involved in child abuse issues -- especially in high-profile cases such as Gauri das's, where great financial and political interests are at stake.

This mentality, that all too often in the past has "sacrificed the child to protect the institution", sadly seems to be still present.

If we take a look at the infamous Dhanurdhara Swami case, a man whose misdeeds outweigh Gauri's, we can see how over the years he received an unjustifiable amount of support from the elite of our movement's leaders, many of them GBCs, Gurus and Sannyasis.

When it comes to child abuse issues in ISKCON, amongst our leaders there is too frequently an overwhelming and misplaced sense of compassion and forgiveness towards perpetrators, but sadly very little or none to spare for the victims. Three GBC members have submitted official letters to the CPO in support of Gauri das for the recent case; sadly one of them is an initiating Guru and two of them are themselves fathers.

Our Bhagavatam classes are overfilled with the highest philosophy, we discuss the most intimate knowledge available to mankind, yet it appears to me that we are unable to afford a little human decency for our children.

It seems almost as if collectively, as a society, we believe that the mere possession of this, unapplied and unrealised, superior knowledge, excuses us from our duty to strive to become, and act as, conscientious, decent and compassionate human beings. I regard this mentality to be a disease, which, in its darkest expression, has facilitated countless so-called "men of God" in committing the worst crimes perpetrated in the history of humanity.

In an article titled "Organized Religion", Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Maharaj wrote:

"The churches have always proved the staunchest upholders of the grossest form of worldliness, from which even the worst of non-ecclesiastical criminals are found to recoil".

Sadly we cannot claim ISKCON's short history to be entirely free from this failing [(however, at least ISKCON have realized their faults in a short 40 years where as disgracefully, it has taken the Catholic Church nearly 2000 years to realize the SAME mistakes!!!!)]

In your letter, you reiterate Gauri das's defence that his use of corporal punishment "was not excessive". I would like to hope that you made this inappropriate statement in ignorance of the actual force Gauri das used when administering corporal punishments.

The severity and degree of Gauri das's punishments would have been deemed disproportionate to the mistakes the children had committed by any considerate man's judgment.

Some of the boys that much suffered at Gauri's hands were younger than your son, and Gauri's daughter.

I like to assume that if your children had been at the receiving end of such brutal punishments you would have rightly been less understanding, supportive and compassionate towards the perpetrator.

I also presume that Gauri das would no longer describe it as "not excessive" if his daughter happened to be one of the unfortunate victims of such serious maltreatment.

I plea with you to try some empathy, and extend a similar degree of compassion for Gauri das's victims. At the time of the incidents they were also defenceless Vaisnava children, just as deserving of protection, kindness and love.

Past abuse can be regarded a mistake, or inadequacy, or attributed to the devious nature of certain individuals, and perhaps an oversight of people in authority.

However, our leaders at times inconsiderate approach to these matters seems to suggest that as a society, we are not sufficiently concerned to learn from our past mistakes and that we still do not give child abuse issues in ISKCON the importance deserved.

As a leader you carry the grave responsibility of setting the standard of what is the appropriate approach and dealings toward child abuse; your attempts to mitigate Gauri's wrongdoings suggest that on some level, you may condone and support his transgressions.

Seeing as the CPO was established by the GBC, it is also your responsibility and duty to ensure that its decisions are appropriately respected and supported. Unfortunately your official statement seems to undermine the authority of the Child Protection Office and the service of the judges who volunteered their time for this trying case.

It must be pointed out that the CPO came to its conclusion after thoroughly evaluating all the confidential information pertinent to the case. If the devotees at the Bhaktivedanta Manor were to be made privy to this information, they would be in a position to better appreciate and/or understand the decision of the CPO. In the absence of this information, is it not appropriate to trust the judgment of the CPO?

If you were simply trying to lessen the impact of Gauri das's resignation on the community, from a purely "public relations" point of view, your provocative letter was at best counterproductive.

Attempts to diminish the severity of Gauri's misconducts are not in ISKCON's best interest as this condones his actions and undermines the reputation of Srila Prabhupada's movement. Indeed, it places the very integrity of our Society in grave jeopardy. It also sets a dangerous precedent to future transgressors.

If this challenging situation had been approached in a more honest and constructive way and ISKCON had actually seized the opportunity to emphasize the notion that as a Society, we do not tolerate in any way the mistreatment of children, instead of pointing out that we "regret Gauri das's resignation", this could have been an invaluable opportunity to redeem ISKCON's less than perfect public image in this regard.

Surely it is not the resignation of Gauri das we ought to regret, but rather his past actions that have led to his forced resignation.

As a friend to Gauri das, your inappropriate "help and support" has actually done a two-fold disservice to him: first you have reinforced the notion that his actions were justified and second your inflammatory letter has now resulted in the degeneration of his already difficult position.

By mastering the internal character and strength necessary to choose ethics over convenience, Gauri das would be able to earn his real redemption and thus facilitate the progress in both his spiritual and material life.

Kripamoya Prabhu, I request you to offer the victims of Gauri das a public apology for your insensitive, inappropriate and misinformed letter and I pray that you may be able to reform your views on this very important matter.

A society that does not take a definitive stance for the protection of its children does not stand for much and has no future.

Thank you.

Yours in the service of Srila Prabhupada, Sanaka rsi das

The following are excerpts from Srila Prabhupada's letters where he expresses his strong objections to the use of corporal punishment on children:

Letter to Bhanutanya mataji, November 18, 1972

"Now the thing is, children should not be beaten at all, that I have told. They should simply be shown the stick strongly. So if one cannot manage in that way then he is not fit as teacher. If a child is trained properly in Krishna Consciousness, he will never go away. That means he must have two things, love and education.

So if there is beating of child, that will be difficult for him to accept in loving spirit, and when he is old enough he may want to go away-that is the danger.

So why these things are going on _ marching and chanting japa, insufficient milk, too strict enforcement of time schedules, hitting the small children? Why these things are being imposed? Why they are inventing these such new things like marching and japa like military? What can I do from such a distant place?

They should run and play when they are small children, not forced to chant japa, that is not the way. Srila Prabhupada's love for his children pours out of this letter, it is so sad to see what he envisioned for us when it is compared to how we were actually raised. Srila Prabhupada with prophetic insight wrote that if you beat the child, when he is old enough he may want to go away; how sadly true his words have become."

Letter to Brahmanya Tirtha, Ahmedabad, December 10, 1972

"Regarding your question should force be used on children, no, there shall be no forcing the children to do anything. Child should not be forced. This is all nonsense. Who has devised these things? If we want them to become great devotees, then we must educate the children with love, not in a negative way. Of course, if they become naughty we may show the stick but we should never use it."

Letter to Aniruddha, January 10, 1972

"Encourage them to chant as much japa as possible, but there is no question of force or punishment. If there is need you may shake your finger at them but never physical punishment is allowed".

Letter to Rupa Vilasa, Hyderabad, November 18, 1972

"So I have heard that there as been some beating with sticks on the children. Of course I do not know, but that should not be. You may show the stick, threaten, but better art is to somehow or other, even by tricking them, avoid this matter of force and induce them to obey out of loving spirit. That is success of disciplinary method."