IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Lee311

Introduction

Rate this topic

Hello,

Just to introduce myself. I've visited the ISKCON London Radha Krishna temple a few times, read some ISKCON books, practiced chanting, listened to lectures from the internet etc on and off for about 3 years now. My partner does not like me going to the temple. Is there anyone local to Sidcup, Kent, England that I could meet etc in my lunch hour ? If not can anyone offer any advice ?

Many thanks,

Lee

I have contemplated deeply your situation.

This seems like an easy one!

1) Invest in a hand sack's worth of "Tupper-ware" [or stainless steel] Transfer Containers.

2) Fill them with seperate preparations from the Temple feasts [pack it neatly--for the sake of decorum/aesthetics].

3) Feed them to your partner. Prasadam has a bouquet and supernatural excellence that will conquer. Viole!

Tip: One container should also contain "Maha-Prasadam", from the Lord's Plate--ask a pujari for the favor. It will enliven the Pujari.

I have contemplated deeply your situation.

This seems like an easy one!

1) Invest in a hand sack's worth of Tupper ware [stainless steel] Transfer Containers.

2) Fill them with seperate preparations from the Temple feasts [pack it neatly--for the sake of decorum/aesthetics].

3) Feed them to your partner. Prasadam has a bouquet and supernatural excellence that will conquer. Viole!

Tip: One container should also contain "Maha-Prasadam", from the Lord's Plate--ask a pujari for the favor. It will enliven the Pujari.

Hmmm...Good advice! I'm in a similar situation, but I wonder, wouldn't it go against the teachings of Krsna? I mean when someone partakes in prasadam, shouldn't they do it knowingly in accepting the endless power of the Lord? Eating in worship of the lord only happens when they "offer", and without the act of "offering" with knowledge of it, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? For me it's my parents who disapprove and I feel like it might be wrong to give them prasadam without their knowledge. Please let me know what you think!!

To Establish the Cultivation of a Higher Taste.

—As far as eating is concerned, it can be regulated only when one is practiced to take and accept prasädam, sanctified food. Lord Kåñëa is offered, according to the Bhagavad-gétä (9.26), vegetables, flowers, fruits, grains, milk, etc. In this way, a person in Kåñëa consciousness becomes automatically trained not to accept food not meant for human consumption, or not in the category of goodness.

—Regardless of the Knower's state of mind Prasadam is totally spiritual, and, similar to proper medicine thus anyone who consumes it acquires human birth at the least. Regarding first rate cuisine, ffice:smarttags" />

—I do not suggest serving prasadam secretly. Just the perception of it's bouquet of ghee & spices—devoid of meat perspiration, vinegar, garlic and liquor may seem unusual for non-prasadam eaters—they actually don't have to be convinced to eat once they smell and see the food preps. The Irony is that most people eat food prepared by lower class citizens with little education.

—prasadam is wonderful to the palate as pure water is antiseptic.

—prasadam is served to the public all the time at different venues including "Govinda Restaurants".

—the proper consciousness during consumption is the task of Krishna-Bhakta doing Bhakti-yoga. Similarly, the Chanting of Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra benefits all that hear it because it is not mundane—it reaches the core of the heart.

It's the passage of time that allows other noises to overtake memories of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=Krishna</st1:place> Prasadam is the foods of the Gods—as it is recognizable to the palate as super excellent.

<font face=" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>'s name, fame, prasadam, etc. But these <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> related paraphernalia actually stays with all parties who come in contact—thus the cultivation of a higher taste is established.

—cook with ghee yourself, it's a secret gourmet item that seems to derive its flavor from the spices. It is a gourmet cooking ingredient with a nutty-meaty taste and aroma that definitely weans people away from meat flavors.

—Do your parents yet know the high quality of Prasadam preparation.

—Personally I have lied many time when giving away Burfi Maha-milk-sweets to friends and relatives—saying the a friend at the ashram has prepared the food or that my own mother has prepared the foodstuff. I feel that the loving qualities imbued in prasadam must have been reinforced or amplified by my own albeit, covert, motive. Unethical? Immoral? Unclean? Sacrilegious? —maybe. Illegal and evil-minded?—No.

—You are correct to consider that the eater who is also meditating on Krishna & Honoring prasadam is preferable—especially if you could read aloud sastra during the meal—but it is definitely not required.

—Junk foods are bad foods and many people are a living, send their kids to University, and many retire on the profits of selling and propagandising 4<SUP>th</SUP> Class/Junk food.

—maybe this is your way of admitting to your self that You should be come a first class cook—which reminds me:

I once finished cooking my meal {veggy} but there was no more salt! So as I tried to eat the preps without salt added I found that everything was tasteless.

The moral is cooking depends on "Spicing, Spicing, Spicing." So, become an expert cook yourself., and spread the mercy from your home base industryJ.

Final note regarding 'Tarpana':

". . . According to the rules and regulations of fruitive activities, there is a need to offer periodical food and water to the forefathers of the family. This offering is performed by worship of Viñëu, because eating the remnants of food offered to Viñëu can deliver one from all kinds of sinful actions.

Sometimes the forefathers may be suffering from various types of sinful reactions, and sometimes some of them cannot even acquire a gross material body and are forced to remain in subtle bodies as ghosts.

Thus, when remnants of prasädam food are offered to forefathers by descendants, the forefathers are released from ghostly or other kinds of miserable life. Such help rendered to forefathers is a family tradition, and those who are not in devotional life are required to perform such rituals.

One who is engaged in the devotional life is not required to perform such actions. Simply by performing devotional service, one can deliver hundreds and thousands of forefathers from all kinds of misery. . . . " —This is the consideration as to weather to wait till the parents are gone, or to make efforts during there life time.

</B>

Thank you ! Yes I have eaten prasadam at the temple restaurant and you really feel like there is something spiritual when eating it. I find if I offer my food to Krishna before eatiing it my "taste" for things like alcohol and cigarettes changes and I go off of them, strange !

Thanks again,

Lee

Hare Krishna ! / Hi there

Ive heard about the temple in London. Im still learning about hare krishna but I would love to go and see it some time as its only a hour or so from me.

Do you know anything about its opening times or dress code or when the best time is to go etc ?

hare krishna

Hi,

I've visited the london temple a few times and the people there were very friendly and welcoming. There didn't seem to be a dress code, not sure about ladies though, but it was very relaxed there. They have the daily schedule on their website at : iskcon-london.org . I went to the 12:30 lunch time program and found it a really wonderful and joyful place to worship.

Lee

Haribol Lee, I'm not in your local area but am in a similar situation.

I live in Warwickshire, near Stratford-upon-Avon. I have been following KC for 5 years now, and actually became initiated last year. I attend the Coventry temple, mainly just the Sunday evening programs, as I have full time work and family commitments.

I was about 38 (rather late in life I know) when I started seriously trying to follow, and my wife was not (and is still not) too pleased about it. I can't see her ever becoming interested in this or any spiritual path really, but we do seem to have reached a mutual understanding where she lets me do my thing, and I let her follow her interests. Initially she thought I was going to run off and abandon her and our daughter, thinking along the usual lines that the Hare Krishnas are a cult etc.

She has eaten a little prasadam on a few occasions, but usually declines it, not being keen on anything spicy or too sweet. I have tried to tell her a little bit of our philosophy but she is not keen to hear about it, so I find it best to let her live in her own way. Its a bit awkard for us as she is not vegetarian, and neither is my daughter, although both have given up red meat, and my wife does not drink either. My daughter is a little interested which has helped (I think).

My main advice would be to try and keep things light-hearted, ie don't start preaching any heavy philosophy or trying to get her to change against her will. Stick to your interest though and don't be put off. You have as much right to follow your spiritual interest as she has not to.

This is maya's test for you, to see if you are sincere. Keep doing regular daily meditation as much as you feel comfortable with, and keep up your reading (you can download books for free from Krishna.com ebook section and read them on your PC). Be patient and determined and sincere, but try to see it through your partners eyes as well, and be sympathetic to her feelings.

If you have not done so already, explain that you are not going to dump her, but explain how much your interest means to you. I guess my wife could see that my attention was gradually becoming more focused on Krishna and not so much her, so not suprisingly she was not pleased by my interest in KC. My mistake was not to pay her enough attention, as I fell in love with Krishna. We are still together anyway, and I hope it does not fall apart, but if it comes to the crunch what should I do? I cannot stop being into KC.

If you cannot get to a temple keep associating with devotees electronically - this website used to be my lifeline before I started attending the Coventry temple and the devotees here helped me more than they will ever know.

I know all too well how it feels to have this growing seed of devotion and yet feel somewhat isolated, with no-one around me who I could confide in.

I might not be able to help much but you are welcome to contact me.

If you (or anyone else) wants to email me my email address is mahatmadas@hotmail.co.uk. You may have to be patient for a reply as I don't check it every day though.

Hare Krishna,

your servant and well-wisher

Mahatma Das

Haribol Lee,

To make a nice atmosphere at home perhaps you could buy a few nice devotional CDs (I recommend Dasi Prayers by Women by Karnamrita and Beloved of Krishna by Ramya Devi Dasi) You should be able to get them mail order Krishna.Com or the manors website Krishnatemple.com (I think)

It might help (you'll enjoy them anyway though!)

Hare Krishna!

Your well-wisher

Mahatma Das