Python – the Ninth Guru of Dattatreya

Rate this topic

suchandra

Something similar is said in the Sri Isopanisad,

isavasyam idam sarvaḿ

yat kinca jagatyaḿ jagat

tena tyaktena bhunjitha

ma gṛdhaḥ kasya svid dhanam

Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong.

http://vedabase.net/iso/1/en

Python – the Ninth Guru of Dattatreya

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/06/python-ninth-guru-of-dattatreya.html

Posted by abhilash on 12.6.08

"My ninth guru is the python who catches and eats its prey, and then doesn't hunt again for a long time. It taught me that once my need has been met, I must be satisfied and not make myself miserable running after the objects of my desire. (Source: The Himalayan Masters: A Living Tradition by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, PhD)

1678nqg.jpg

Mouse sensing the presence of a Boa Constrictor

Another Interpretation

Following the example of the python, one should give up material endeavors and accept for one’s maintenance food that comes of its own accord, whether such food be delicious or tasteless, ample or meager.

If at any time food does not come, then a saintly person should fast for many days without making endeavor. He should understand that by God’s arrangement he must fast. Thus, following the example of the python, he should remain peaceful and patient.

A saintly person should remain peaceful and materially inactive, maintaining his body without much endeavor. Even though possessed of full sensual, mental and physical strength, a saintly person should not become active for material gain but rather should always remain alert to his actual self-interest."

You may also like to read

Pigeon – the eighth Guru of Dattatreya