IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhaktajan

Re-place Sunday Feast with Saturday Feast

Rate this topic

I sincerely propose for consideration that Iskcon officially recommend that all temples that have a 'Sunday Feast' switch to Saturday.

As far as I remember Kirtananda ex-Swami started the sunday tradition.

The logic, to me, seems that in 1966 there was so many lingering young folks without any obligations to be at work on a Monday morning. These same folks would have been partying all weekend ending with Sunday nights winding down to a quiet 'down-time' on a sunday afternoon.

Fall and winter time shifts turn daylight to night at approx 4:30PM.

Thus, a Saturday night out should capatilize on the natural rythmn of the 'weekend time-off from work' folks. This is good for temple P.R. since a person might elect to stay at the temple [yes, I mean surrender or stay for sunday morning mangalarotika] rather than leave timely to arrive at thier respective homes at a late hour.

And why have such a heavy and rich meal late at night--we all know that late consumption of food is not healty as per ayurveda and for brahmacarya needs.

Also, old folks must be dragged on a Sunday night to a place where they will later return home on mostly desolate streets.

Does Srila Prabhupada specifically enjoin that Sunday has a special significance for being the Feast Day of the week???!!!???

I feel that so many people never respond to the invite card to the sunday feast only because it's on a Sunday and worse it's on a sunday night.

Please add your comments, yea or nay, and How it can be accomplished.

ys,

bhaktajan

Well, in Melbourne Australia we have Saturday and Sunday feasts (oh, now I'm boasting).

Seriously though, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the evening feasts. People like to spend the last part of thier weekend really relaxing before the next days work - not going somewhere, especially if they have already been busy all weekend.

I personally think the daytime lunch feasts are much better. They are better for kids (who can't handle staying up late again) and adults (who want to do something in the daytime not the evening).

I think it's more of a point to hold them at lunchtime rather than the evening. As to which day it is, I don't think it matters all that much.

Although you're right, evenings would be more appropriate for Saturdays and lunchtime better for Sundays.

Hare Krishna,

Lorenzo.