IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Veggie Killer

Neutering of pets

Rate this topic

Namaskar

I have a dilemma. I have two kittens. I was told that both of them were females. It turns out that one of them is actually a male. I cannot have them mate because my lease does not allow more than two cats and the shelters here are overloaded with cats and cannot take any more. I have to decide between trying to find someone to take in my male cat (so far no takers) or to have him neutered. I am concerned that neutering him might be cruel or considered harming him and might have negative karmic consequences. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Almost anything we do in this world ultimately leads to some complicated karmic entanglement, even if we are trying to help others or help an animal. You will probably have to choose whatever brings the least karmic reaction. Once you have taken an animal in and given it shelter, you become responsible for it throughout its life. The animal will no longer be able to fend for itself outside, so there is no easy way to be free from your responsibilities.

Once the animals are dependent on you and you cannot give them up, you will eventually be faced with the problem of interbreeding, which over generations will lead to deformity or other gene related problems. So again you are put in an ackward situation of having to choose what will bring the least amount of negative karma. If you do nothing, future generations of the animals family will suffer all sorts of problems, but at the same time you can't release them into the wild.

So you will be left with two basic choices, neuter the animals or give one away. Now even the act of giving an animal away brings negative karmic reaction, as you may be breaking up a family or splitting apart friends and depriving the animals of company.

In some cases it may be best to have the animals neutered rather than split them up or have them suffer other problems in the future.

Namaste.

I can only give a simple answer as I am not a religious expert.

"There is no work that affects Me; nor do I aspire for the fruits of action. One who understands this truth about Me also does not become entangled in the fruitive reactions of work." (Bhagavad Gita 4.14)

"But those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, meditating on My transcendental form—to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they have." (Bhagavad Gita 9.22)

These verses from the Bhagavad Gita suggest that Lord Vishnu can free one of any bad karma (and any good karma for that matter). This is obvious since the Creator of Karma obviously can control it.

So I would suggest praying to Lord Vishnu (or Whoever your Ishtadeva is) and I suggest that you ask that all bad karma be relieved from you because

the situation is not in your control and you can't do anything about it.