IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Smiley

Taking Refuge

Rate this topic

In the delightful treasure of all the three realms, in the supreme effulgence which wipes away all taints, in the savior who is the resort of the helpless and worthy of surrender, in Him who is unborn and immutable, in the Lord who is Hari I take refuge.

In Him, whose color resembles that of the heap of blue lilies, who is as pure as the vast summer sky, whose black eyelids resemble the dark bees, who wields the lotus, chakra and gadha in His hands I take refuge.

In Him, whose body has the luster of the bees, who has the conch similar to the white lotus bud, whose lotus-like form has the bee of Brahma, the creator of Vedas, humming around, who is like the water that supports the lotus of my heart I take refuge.

In Him, whose nails look like stars strewn around, whose smiling face resembles the whiteness of the radiant full moon, whose chest creates the illusory notion of the flow of Ganga, who is like the vast summer sky I take refuge.

In Him, whose chest is adorned by lotus-born Lakshmi, who is as white as

the pollen dust of the lotus that has just blossomed, whose limbs are red like the declining sun and who is beautiful like the sky of golden color I take refuge.

In Him, who is constantly engaged in the play of creation, who is unborn, immutable and all-pervasive, whose body, despite its existence for a countless number of yugas, looks like one just born; who, as a child is reclining in the banyan leaf I take refuge.

In Him, who is like mist to the lotus of daityas, who is eternal sun to the lotus of the devas, who is like the sustaining water of the lotus-born Brahma, who abides in this lotus-like heart of mine

I take refuge. *

_____

"Even if I have to come out of thousands of wombs in the future and have to be born again and again; in all those lives, my Lord, may my mind be firmly anchored in Thee for ever and ever. May I long for You, my Lord, without a break, and as intensely and eagerly as the ignorant are drawn to the pleasure of their senses. May that longing never disappear from my heart while my mind always dwells in Thee." Sri Maharishi Prahlada **

* The Yoga Vasishta (Abhinanda Panditas Laghu-Yoga-Vasishta);

translated by K.N. Subramanian; Sura Books (Pvt) Ltd.;

1620, Block, 16th Main Road, Anna Nagar, Chennai 600 040

Phones: 044-26162173, 26161099 email: surabooks@eth.net

** re-edited excerpts from Srimad Bhagavata and Sri Vishnu Purana; translated by V. Krishnaswami Aiyar; 2000 Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Kulapati K.M. Mumshi Marg; Mumbai - 400 007