IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunanda

Get a Salagrama ?

Rate this topic

Haribol !

I'd like to know if the site www.shaligram.com sells authentic salagramas and if i can order from them ?

I'm diksa initiated and i'd like to know if one can worship a salagrama very simply and how, if any of you do so i'm curious to know.

I'm thinking about a Giri Govardhana shila, what do you think ? what is best for Gaudiya Vaisnavas ?

Thank you very much in advance.

I wouldn't buy one; it's prohibited by shastra. The site linked to here calls the prices "donations." I wouldn't make such donations unless I knew who the recipients were. I think receiving one as a gift is best, and if it's from someone you know, you might want to reciprocate somehow.

I have been told by respected devotees that one cannot take a Govardhan sila from Vraja without permission from a dham basi.

Govardhana sila is worshiped in raga marga as it is Krishna.

Shalagram shila is Vishnu and must be worshipped with strict regulative principles.

As such, it is very risky as offenses are easy to commit in the vaidhi marga.

I would recommend that if you could get a Govardhan shila with the blessings of resident of the dhama, then that would be best.

To worship Shalagram shila requires very rigid brahminical regulation and is on the platform of awe and reverence as in worship of Lord Narayana in Vaikuntha.

Govardhana shila is worshiped in raga marga like the residents of Vraja and does not require such strict regulation as in worshiping Lord Narayana in the form of Shalagram shila.

Haribol !

I'd like to know if the site www.shaligram.com sells authentic salagramas and if i can order from them ?

I'm diksa initiated and i'd like to know if one can worship a salagrama very simply and how, if any of you do so i'm curious to know.

I'm thinking about a Giri Govardhana shila, what do you think ? what is best for Gaudiya Vaisnavas ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Stonehearted gives a good advice.

It is best to wait for the salagrama sila to come to you - then you know you are ready.

Govardhana sila is very appropriate for Gaudiya Vaishnavas.

I have been told by respected devotees that one cannot take a Govardhan sila from Vraja without permission from a dham bhasi.

Govardhana sila is worshiped in raga marga as it is Krishna.

Shalagram shila is Vishnu and must be worshipped with strict regulative principles.

As such, it is very risky as offenses are easy to commit in the vaidhi marga.

I would recommend that if you could get a Govardhan shila with the blessings of resident of the dhama, then that would be best.

To worship Shalagram shila requires very rigid brahminical regulation and is on the platform of awe and reverence as in worship of Lord Narayana in Vaikuntha.

Govardhana shila is worshiped in raga marga like the residents of Vraja and does not require such strict regulation as in worshiping Lord Narayana in the form of Shalagram shila.

Yes, Giriraja is a raga-marga Deity, and His worship is particularly appropriate for Gaudiya vaishnavas. And I'd accept him only on the advice of the spiritual master and with the blessings of dhamavasis. He is very merciful to those who worship Him nicely. (See my Rowdy Boyz, Krishna and Balaram, at left.)

However, Shalagrama-shilas may also be worshipped as Krishna. I heard this explained by Sri Visvambhar Goswami of Radha-Ramana Temple in Vrindavan. He said that, as Krishna is the source of Narayana and all avataras, He is also present in the Shalagrama-shila. I have worshipped my Shalagrama-shila as Krishna, whose name is Murali-manohara, for many years. Neither He nor any devotees I know have complained. However, there are certain strictures I have always observed in His care. One is to eat nothing before worshipping Him. That's a strict rule; I started out observing it because it's the rule; after some time, I do it because I wouldn't think of eating before I've served my Thakurajis.

Here's Murali-manohara about seven years ago:

post-262-138274054188_thumb.jpg