IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

varieties of scriptures?

Rate this topic

SB 1.1.11 - There are many varieties of scriptures, and in all of them there are many prescribed duties, which can be learned only after many years of study in their various divisions. Therefore, O sage, please select the essence of all these scriptures and explain it for the good of all living beings, that by such instruction their hearts may be fully satisfied.

Can someone give an explanation as to what these varieties of scriptures are known as and exactly what they prescribe. I am particularly curious about the vedic literatures here.

Guest guest

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 1.1.11

bhūrīṇi bhūri-karmāṇi

śrotavyāni vibhāgaśaḥ

ataḥ sādho 'tra yat sāraḿ

samuddhṛtya manīṣayā

brūhi bhadrāya bhūtānāḿ

yenātmā suprasīdati

SYNONYMS

bhūrīṇi — multifarious; bhūri — many; karmāṇi — duties; śrotavyāni — to be learned; vibhāgaśaḥ — by divisions of subject matter; ataḥ — therefore; sādho — O sage; atra — herein; yat — whatever; sāram — essence; samuddhṛtya — by selection; manīṣayā — best to your knowledge; brūhi — please tell us; bhadrāya — for the good of; bhūtānām — the living beings; yena — by which; ātmā — the self; suprasīdati — becomes fully satisfied.

-----

we can assume this verse relates to the various divisions of the Vedic knowledge, such as Vedas, Aranyakas, Samhitas, Upanishads, etc.

we can assume this verse relates to the various divisions of the Vedic knowledge, such as Vedas, Aranyakas, Samhitas, Upanishads, etc.

Thanks Lowborn but can you go a little further. I am hoping for an extended thread where these various scriptures can be named along with a synopsis as to their nature.

There is a series of articles called "The Tree of Vedic Literature" that explains each category of scriptures. It is located here:

http://www.indiadivine.org/hinduism/articles/58/1/The-Tree-of-Vedic-Literature

There was also a chart showing how all the scriptures are interconnected, but I don't have a scan of it.

All is was looking for and more. I should have a better grasp on this by now but I am sooo lazy.

Thanks JNdas