IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Murali_Mohan_das

I Have Never Been to Vrindavana-Have You?

Rate this topic

VRndAvana, the highest plane of divinity, is a

stage of consciousness. Above the plane of awe and

reverence found in Vaikunta, is VRndAvana, the land

of simplicity and divine love. The peculiarity of the

inhabitants of that highest plane of consciousness is

that they do not feel they are in VRndAvana. It is

aprAkRta, supramundane.

http://www.scsmath.com/books/Golden_Volcano.pdf

Page 128

I have never travelled to Vrindavana, India. Whenever I have money, I tend to spend it on computer or musical equipment :)

I'm not sure if I *want* to travel there just yet. What eyes do I have to see what is truly happening there, or will I see a wasteland of corruption and widows and ecological decline?

Do I really want to go there as a tourist or as someone seeking a bride?

Is not Srila Gurudeva's Ashram in Soquel, at which he has performed his own sweet pastimes, having installed Their Lordships Sri Sri Guru-Gauranga Gandharvika Giridhari for us to worship as much Vrindavana (or Govardhana) as any other place on this earth--if only I have the eyes (medicated by sincerity) to see?

Is not Srila Gurudeva's Ashram in Soquel, at which he has performed his own sweet pastimes, having installed Their Lordships Sri Sri Guru-Gauranga Gandharvika Giridhari for us to worship as much Vrindavana (or Govardhana) as any other place on this earth--if only I have the eyes (medicated by sincerity) to see?

Gadadhara Pandita never went to earthly Vraja during the time he was here.

Who is Gadadhara?

What is Vraja?

Vrindaban is consciousness not matter.

What is Vraja?

Vrindaban is consciousness not matter.

What is What is Nabadwip?

Nabadwip is consciousness not matter.

[by the way one gentleman from the hood thought it was Na - bad - wip.

I set him straight. (check out my bad wip = wrong conception)]:eek2:

Srila Prabhupada said "you can't buy a ticket to Vrindavan".

Going to Vrindavan is not something you can accomplish at the ticket counter of the Airlines.

The Vrindavan that you go to on the strength of your credit card or bank account is an external mayic form of Vrindavan, not the real thing.

We hear many devotees saying "I am going to Vrindavan" and I already have my plane ticket reserved.

Well, they aren't going to the real Vrindavan. They are going to Vrindavan, India - not Gokula Vrindavan.

Nope, you can't buy a ticket to Vrindavan or Navadvip or any transcendental realm.

But, any place where devotees congregate to glorfy Krishna is Vrindavan.

Realizing that is something else.

Srila Prabhupada said "you can't buy a ticket to Vrindavan".

Going to Vrindavan is not something you can accomplish at the ticket counter of the Airlines.

The Vrindavan that you go to on the strength of your credit card or bank account is an external mayic form of Vrindavan, not the real thing.

We hear many devotees saying "I am going to Vrindavan" and I already have my plane ticket reserved.

Well, they aren't going to the real Vrindavan. They are going to Vrindavan, India - not Gokula Vrindavan.

Nope, you can't buy a ticket to Vrindavan or Navadvip or any transcendental realm.

But, any place where devotees congregate to glorfy Krishna is Vrindavan.

Realizing that is something else.

Lord Vishnu told Narada:

Naaham vasami vaikunthe

Na yogi hridaye ravau;

Yatra madbhaktha gaayanthi

Tatra Thishtthami Narada

I reside not in Vaikuntham;

Nor in the hearts of Yogis or Saints;

Nor at the Sun's core;

Wherever my devotees sing (naama sankeerthana);

I cling myself there and embrace (them) !

Guest guest

Therefore the idea is to go to the holy dhamas such as Vraj, Nabadwip, Puri etc. when Gurudev is there and get his association, hear from him and his intimate associates and serve him and them. Then go on the parikram, and then it will help you remember the places where divine pastimes were enacted. While you are there you can always remember that you are not seeing the real dham with your fleshy eyes, so pray to Gurudev to reveal the real transcendental dham and holy name of Krishna. If you want to be with Gurudev in the foreign lands that is alright too. But it is Guru Maharaj's desire that we travel to the central math in Nabadwip at least sometimes and serve there. This will give us strength. To think that we should avoid Nabadwip and the original SCSMath is like thinking we should avoid Krishna nam since we are chanting with offenses or to think that we are too fallen to perform seva. It is the wrong idea.

Was it Mahaprabhu? Or Advaita Acarya?:confused:

From earlier (actually, immediately previous to the first quote in this thread) in Golden Volcano:

What is Vrindavana proper? It is a stage of consciousness.

In different stages of consciousness, there

are different subjective realities. Everything springs

from the willpower of the Lord. He is the subject, and

His potency and sweet will is all subjective. The Lord

said, “Let there be light,”—and there was light. He

said, “Let there be water,” —and there was water. He

said, “Let there be earth,”—and there was earth. If,

like a hypnotist, the higher subject wants to make the

lower subject see something, he cannot but see that

thing. We are all in the subjective, imaginary world,

but above imagination is the supersubjective plane of

reality. So, Krishna reveals Himself to one who has

developed pure consciousness, and in the stage of pure

consciousness one can perceive the true nature of subjective

reality (sattva˜ viÍuddha˜ vasudeva-Íabditam).

To show us that Vrindavana is everywhere,

Mahaprabhu was running here and there in ecstasy.

When They met, Advaita Prabhu told Him, “You

must be jesting when You say You are going to Vrindavana.

Wherever You are—that is Vrindavana. We

have that experience. What You say is very peculiar:

‘I am going to Vrindavana.’ Simply to teach us the

value of Vrindavana, You are posing in this way.

That's me, Prabhu--I'm chock full of wrong ideas!!

Thank you for the kind correction!

Therefore the idea is to go to the holy dhamas such as Vraj, Nabadwip, Puri etc. when Gurudev is there and get his association, hear from him and his intimate associates and serve him and them. Then go on the parikram, and then it will help you remember the places where divine pastimes were enacted. While you are there you can always remember that you are not seeing the real dham with your fleshy eyes, so pray to Gurudev to reveal the real transcendental dham and holy name of Krishna. If you want to be with Gurudev in the foreign lands that is alright too. But it is Guru Maharaj's desire that we travel to the central math in Nabadwip at least sometimes and serve there. This will give us strength. To think that we should avoid Nabadwip and the original SCSMath is like thinking we should avoid Krishna nam since we are chanting with offenses or to think that we are too fallen to perform seva. It is the wrong idea.

Haribol!

Vrindavan is the most holy destination we can go to. Not only is the land pure and divine but the association of the Vrajvasis (people of Vraj) is the sweetest nectar. I was listening to Sacidananda Maharaj's opinion of Vraj and he said that even if we're cursed by the Vrajvasis, we should accept it as a blessing. So if you get a chance to go to Vraj and associate with the devotees there then please do.

I have been to Vraj and I have been fortunate enough to bathe in the Yamuna, visit Govardhan, take darshan of Gokul and Nandagaon and associate with the people of that holy dham. There is nothing like this pilgrimage in the world and I highly recommend it.

This leads me to a point about pilgrimage. We don't go on pilgrimage simply to see the land. We go to imbibe the vibrations of the devotees and sants who live there. We go to partake of the austerities necessary when travelling. We go to humble ourselves before the greatness of Krishna's pastimes, to surrender ourselves to his lila and immerse ourselves in remembrance of his love. Pilgrimage is not easy, nor is it meant to be. If you go understanding this and are willing to embrace it, then you will be open to seeing the greatness of Vraj.

However, if you feel that you are not ready then wait. You've waited all your lifetimes so why not wait some more? The simple truth is that when you chant Radha and Krishna's names they are with you and when they are with you, that place where you are becomes Vraj. You only will not get the association of the Vrajvasis.

Haribol!

Jai

Guest guest

Asking someone whether they have been to the real Vrndavana is like asking them if they have really seen Lord Krishna face to face.

Srila Prabhupada said we could go to India to "recharge our spiritual batteries" both in Vrndavana and in Mayapura during the festivals held there once a year.

I personally felt I made advancement while in India. Does something mystical happen to devotees while in India, if they go in the proper mood?

We can either go to the bhajan kutirs of the six goswamis and pray to imbibe some of their mood or we can go shopping for the nicest pair of karatalas in India, the choice is ours.

Should we go to India? Yes, certainly, without a doubt. Srila Prabhupada didn't tell us we can't go to Vrndavana just by purchasing a plane ticket so that we don't go there at all, he said that to make sure that when we do go there we go there in the proper mood.

When visiting Vrndavana one should rub the dust of the holy dhama on one's body as soon as one enters the dhama. One should not see the residents of the dhama as ordinary citizens, and one should not stay for more than three days because otherwise one is bound to commit offenses, unless one has some specific service to do.

Go to Vrndavana, yes, go to Vrndavana!

Go to Vrndavana, yes, go to Vrndavana!

Going to Vrindavan in My Mind

by Murali Mohan das (with apologies to James Taylor)

In my mind I'm goin to Vrindavan

Can't you see the sunshine

Can't you just feel the moonshine

Ain't it just like a friend of mine

To hit me from behind

Yes I'm goin' to Vrindavan in my mind

Karuna she's a silver sun

You best walk her way and watch it shinin'

Watch her watch the mornin' come

A silver tear appearing now I'm cryin' ain't I

Goin' to Vrindavan in my mind

There ain't no doubt it no one's mind

That love's the finest thing around

Whisper something warm and kind

And hey babe the sky's on fire, I'm dyin' ain't I?

Goin to Vrindavan in my mind

In my mind I'm goin' to Vrindavan

To hit me from behind

Dark and silent last night

I think I might have heard the highway calling

Geese in flight and dogs that bite

Signs that might be omens say I going, going

Im goin to Vrindavan in my mind

With a holy host of others standing round me

Still I'm on the dark side of the moon

And it seems like it goes on like this forever

You must forgive me

If I'm up and gone to Vrindavan in my mind

In my mind I'm goin' to Vrindavan

To hit me from behind

Guest guest

You have never bathed in the Jamuna River? It's sweet warm currents? You have never battled with the monkeys there? They seek out white people. You have never seen the local sadhus? Young girls carrying pots on their heads or residents passing you by saying, "Radhe!" to you expecting you to respond back the same way?

Haven't you been to a local temple in Vrndavana during mangala arotika to see the local residents going at 4:30 am just like ISKCON does? Been to Lohi Bazaar to purchase devotional paraphernalia, clothing, all at a great discount and rare and costly items for your devotional service?

Gotten a rickshaw ride for a few dimes worth of money for a couple of miles behind a poor sweating rider, or taken a taxi ride at fear of your life? Smelled the sweet air in Mayapura and taken a japa walk to another sacred pond or temple just outside the jurisdiction of ISKCON? Been bathing in the Ganges in Mayapura? Had fresh dobs? Had that wonderful special kind of rice they only grow in that area?

No I don't want to do those things in my mind. I want to go there. Vasudeva gave cows in charity to the brahmanas while he was in jail, but once he got out he gave the actual cows. He wasn't satisfied simply thinking of these things. Passport take two or three months, and can be expedited in as little as two weeks, then you need a visa and a plane ticket. First go to India, then see if you can say it would have been just as good if you had only gone there in your mind. Once you visit the holy places you will always have a desire to go back. Just don't eat or drink anything outside of an ISKCON temple, except maybe for some bottled water if you KNOW it is untampered with. It's hard to not get sick in India, but a little sickness can be purifying.

I have never bathed in the Jamuna and been freaked out by what's floating in it.

I have never sat at the feet of Gurudev in morning darshan and then gone out of the Math to find my daily fix of opium, hashish, or what have you (at least not in the Holy Dham--I'm a ganja ADDICT, and, from what I understand India is one of the few places where ganja is easier to come by than in Santa Cruz) in the way that a certain Godbrother of mine with a southern drawl has (or so the rumour goes (I still revere and worship that sweet Vaishnava)).

Speaking of ganja--it was not until college that I finally broke down and tried it--I figured that, if I was going to knock it from a position of moral superiority, I might as well try it. Well, guess what--I liked it very much!

So, I suppose, before putting on airs, I ought to at least *try* to visit Vrindavan.

Despite how fallen I am, Gurudev is beyond being contaminated by me (though, that time in Darshan here in Soquel, when he abruptly got up, smiled and said "now I must go take bath", I couldn't help think that was because I had touched his hand). Of course, I must endeavor to control my tongue and senses lest I disturb the pilgrimage of my Godsiblings.

As for getting physically ill, I'm not worried--just give me fresh chillies (or should I bring a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce?) with every meal!

You have never bathed in the Jamuna River? It's sweet warm currents? You have never battled with the monkeys there? They seek out white people. You have never seen the local sadhus? Young girls carrying pots on their heads or residents passing you by saying, "Radhe!" to you expecting you to respond back the same way?

Haven't you been to a local temple in Vrndavana during mangala arotika to see the local residents going at 4:30 am just like ISKCON does? Been to Lohi Bazaar to purchase devotional paraphernalia, clothing, all at a great discount and rare and costly items for your devotional service?

Gotten a rickshaw ride for a few dimes worth of money for a couple of miles behind a poor sweating rider, or taken a taxi ride at fear of your life? Smelled the sweet air in Mayapura and taken a japa walk to another sacred pond or temple just outside the jurisdiction of ISKCON? Been bathing in the Ganges in Mayapura? Had fresh dobs? Had that wonderful special kind of rice they only grow in that area?

No I don't want to do those things in my mind. I want to go there. Vasudeva gave cows in charity to the brahmanas while he was in jail, but once he got out he gave the actual cows. He wasn't satisfied simply thinking of these things. Passport take two or three months, and can be expedited in as little as two weeks, then you need a visa and a plane ticket. First go to India, then see if you can say it would have been just as good if you had only gone there in your mind. Once you visit the holy places you will always have a desire to go back. Just don't eat or drink anything outside of an ISKCON temple, except maybe for some bottled water if you KNOW it is untampered with. It's hard to not get sick in India, but a little sickness can be purifying.

As for getting physically ill, I'm not worried--just give me fresh chillies (or should I bring a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce?) with every meal!

yuck..... vinegar on cooked food?

Make your own with some cayenne or jalapenos and lemon juice.

Don't use that nasty hot souce with vinegar in it.

I have never bathed in the Jamuna and been freaked out by what's floating in it.

I have never sat at the feet of Gurudev in morning darshan and then gone out of the Math to find my daily fix of opium, hashish, or what have you (at least not in the Holy Dham--I'm a ganja ADDICT, and, from what I understand India is one of the few places where ganja is easier to come by than in Santa Cruz) in the way that a certain Godbrother of mine with a southern drawl has (or so the rumour goes (I still revere and worship that sweet Vaishnava)).

man don't smoke dope in the Dhama.

you can do without for a while.

when I went to India I was a stict devotee.

so, I didn't do anything stupid while I was there.

since then I have smoked my share, but not in the last few years.

being in the work force and smoking dope is not compatible anymore.

I don't know how you can smoke weed and still keep a decent job.

It is only by the mercy of Gurudev that I am existing at all, what to speak of how I'm thriving in such a fallen position.

Your warning about making offenses in the Holy Dham is well-noted.

Since I broached the topic (and have been re-reading "Search for Sri Krishna: Reality the Beautiful"), the following quote is obligatory:

http://www.scsmath.com/books/Search_Sri_Krishna.pdf

Page 48

Student: I have a problem. For ten years I’ve tried to

take up this process. For ten years, I have kept from eating

meat, fish, and eggs. I avoid material things—I

have no attraction for them. I have left all this behind.

But there is one thing I want to give up and also I

don’t want to give up. This is gañja (marijuana).

Sridhar Maharaj: That is a small thing. There are

three real difficulties: the first is women, the second

is money, and the third, good name and fame. These

three are our enemies. Marijuana intoxication is a small

thing. Anyone can give it up easily. But these three

things are the fundamental aspiration of every animal,

tree, bird, man, or god. These three are everywhere.

But intoxication and other fleeting habits are very negligible

things and can be conquered very easily.

As we have gradually come into the habit of

intoxication, we have to come out; gradually, and not

suddenly. Just after World War Two, we read in the

newspaper that Goering, Hitler’s air general, was habituated

to taking much intoxication. But when he was

put into jail, no intoxication was supplied to him. He

became sick, but treatment went on and he was cured.

His disease was cured by the medicine. We also have

seen so many opium-eaters who came here, joined the

temple, and gradually left their habit.

Many so-called sadhus smoke marijuana. It helps

concentration, but that is the material mind. It disturbs

faith. It is an enemy to faith. No material intoxication,

but only faith can take us to our desired goal.

The misguided souls think that marijuana, hashish, and

so many other things can help us in our meditation. It

may do something, but that is mundane and that will

frustrate us in our time of need. These things cannot

help us rise up very high.

SEX, DOPE, AND GOLD

Srimad Bhagavatam (1.17.38) advises that these five

things should be rejected: dyuta˜: gambling, or diplomacy;

panam: intoxication, including tea, coffee, betel,

and everything else; striyah: unlawful, illegal womanlove;

suna: butchering; and the transaction of gold. Trade

in gold makes one very apathetic towards progress in the

line of faith. These five are very tempting.

What to speak of the mania that intoxication will

help us in our meditation upon the transcendental,

Devarsi Narada says, yamadibhir yoga-pathaih kamalobha-

hato muhuh: even what we acquire by meditation

is temporary and has no permanent effect. Only real

faith in the line of pure devotion can help us.

man don't smoke dope in the Dhama.

you can do without for a while.

when I went to India I was a stict devotee.

so, I didn't do anything stupid while I was there.

since then I have smoked my share, but not in the last few years.

being in the work force and smoking dope is not compatible anymore.

I don't know how you can smoke weed and still keep a decent job.

http://one.revver.com/watch/331905/flv/affiliate/98330

The place on the river where anxieties go away

This place is near Vrindavana (India) and its name is Cintaharana-Ghata. It is said that whoever go there will have its anxieties removed. Here the river Yamuna is beautiful and peaceful. It is a great pleasure to be there. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: