IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Whole Life Times quotes devotee as expert on Homelessness

Rate this topic

<!-- end .post-top --><!-- the main section of the post goes here -->Final_Nrsimhana2.jpgBy Nrsimhananda das (ITV)

I was quoted as a Krishna conscious spiritual authority regarding the question of the nagging homeless problem prevalent in the US. The author of the article, veteran writer Sam Slovik, said that Nrsimhananda’s comments changed the entire way in which he viewed the problem. Sam has been writing articles about homeless people for the past four years, and he has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. Omitted from the article was the fact that homelessness is a desired condition in the vanaprastha and sannyas stages of life in India where an itinerant life devoted to God is revered. :pray:

http://wholelifetimes.com/2007/06/la_homeless0706.html

I was homeless for about 10 years.

8 years in the movement and 2 years outside.

Me and my wife actually lived in the big drain pipe on Rodeo Gulch road in Santa Cruz for about 2 months.

Then we got a tent and lived in a campground for a few months, then lived in a Volkwagen van for a few months.

Murali Mohan might see that big drain pipe in the road to the temple in Santa Cruz.

That was my home one summer.

We got water out of a creek nearby to bathe and even cook with.

We had a one burner Coleman stove and two chase lawn chairs for beds.

We walked into town everyday and came back at night.

It actually wasn't that bad.

My poor little wife never ever complained either.

Holy Babajis Batman!!

That's pretty austere!

My coworkers and I joke about retiring to under the Water Street bridge, but I've been fortunate enough (or is it unfortunate?) to have not been homeless in this lifetime.

Considering how much anxiety I am constantly in regarding maintaining my grha, I envy those (like my step-brother) who can rely upon the mercy of the Lord for shelter and sustenance.

Me and my wife actually lived in the big drain pipe on Rodeo Gulch road in Santa Cruz for about 2 months.

Then we got a tent and lived in a campground for a few months, then lived in a Volkwagen van for a few months.

Murali Mohan might see that big drain pipe in the road to the temple in Santa Cruz.

That was my home one summer.

We got water out of a creek nearby to bathe and even cook with.

We had a one burner Coleman stove and two chase lawn chairs for beds.

We walked into town everyday and came back at night.

It actually wasn't that bad.

My poor little wife never ever complained either.

Holy Babajis Batman!!

That's pretty austere!

My coworkers and I joke about retiring to under the Water Street bridge, but I've been fortunate enough (or is it unfortunate?) to have not been homeless in this lifetime.

Considering how much anxiety I am constantly in regarding maintaining my grha, I envy those (like my step-brother) who can rely upon the mercy of the Lord for shelter and sustenance.

When I was a brahmacary in ISKCON I was prone to travel around from temple to temple without GBC sanction (I was a bad boy).

On the road I would usually sleep under an overpass on the interestate highway.

sometimes I just slept in the ditch.

sometimes when it was winter I would sleep under heater units behind supermarkets.

One time a guy took me to his house and put me up for the night and took me back to the highway the next morning.

I did a lot of preaching on the road.

I actually changed some people's lives.

One guy was in tears when he dropped me off and said "You have just changed my whole life, I don't know how to thank you".

I always carried some books and some BTGs.

I tried to leave one with my ride if they were willing to take it.

I loved that lifestyle.

Garuda das once said "you are a real sannyasi".

but, I never took the vow and look where I ended up..........:wacko:

but, I don't regret...... it doesn't do any good.

I love my kids.......