IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Govardhan pastime flawed? I think not

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Whilst discussing the pastimes of Lord Shri Krishna with a friend, they came up with the idea that the pastime of the lifting of Govardhan Hill is flawed. The reason they gave is that if there was major torrential rain and flooding, surely the area underneath Shri Giri Govardhan would be completely flooded and not provide any shelter to the inhabitants of Vraj (because the rest of the whole area was flooded). I can't find a counter answer to this, but I still believe with great faith that this pastime did take place and that Lord Shri Krishna did protect all the people and animals of Vraj by lifting Govardhan. For the countless times I have heard about this pastime, it never even occured to me that the area under Shri Giri Govardhan would be prone to flooding.

What do you think?

Giri Govardhan Ki Jay

Guest guest

Whilst discussing the pastimes of Lord Shri Krishna with a friend, they came up with the idea that the pastime of the lifting of Govardhan Hill is flawed. The reason they gave is that if there was major torrential rain and flooding, surely the area underneath Shri Giri Govardhan would be completely flooded and not provide any shelter to the inhabitants of Vraj (because the rest of the whole area was flooded).

you think Krsna severed the Hill at the very bottom? LOL! that would have been very silly indeed.

HE CUT OFF THE HILL ABOVE THE SURROUNDING PLAINS ;)

your friend is very naive :)

Guest guest

Are there any references to sacred texts that the mountain was lifted from midway?

LOL!!! Yes let's all get out our rulers and calculators and analyze the ways of God's lila.

Personally I have a different view on Krsna lila. I see it as a literary expansion and not one that took place in our normal 3d world. But surely even if it did Krsna would have no problem sheltering His devotees from the rain if that was His intent.

Guest guest

Are there any references to sacred texts that the mountain was lifted from midway?

Actually my post above was placed in a half joking way, as Krsna is the master of all mystics and is not bound by ordinary laws of physics.

Still, on a more serious note... Descriptions in the Bhagavatam speak of Vrajabasis situated above the surrounding them waters, or unaffected by the surrounding waters in any way. Since Krsna can lift a big hill, He can also make the waters flow away from his friends - that is no more miraculous than lifting Govardhana Hill itself.

This leela is described in detail in Sri Garga Samhita

The birth of Giriraj Govardhana and other pastimes are also given there.

Sri Garga Samhita says that when the flood came Sesa Naga wrapped himself around the bottom of Govardhana and stopped the waters from washing people away. Sudarshana stayed on top of Govardhana and burned up all the water and ice sent by Indra into steam. So Govardhana was not struck by any bad forces.