IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Murali_Mohan_das

Speculative Investments = Gambling??

Rate this topic

Now are you reading this on the taxpayers time you naughty boy. Get back to work.

You may not like how I spend my time, Theist Prabhu, but none of my supervisors have had any issue with my job performance.

If you really believe that day-trading is a good way for Vaishnavas to make a living, why not reveal just how much you've made from day-trading since your big windfall in 1999 (the height of the first tech bubble)?

For that matter, why not reveal just how much you made at that time (on the backs of other less-fortunate (or "accute" if we're being generous) investors)? For 8 years now, you have been living on the fruit of others' misery, isn't it?

Is there any other personal information of mine which I may furnish to you for the purpose of reprisals?

Sorry, Guruvani Prabhu, but I won't grant you your Social Darwinism. I ranted about that on a recent thread of Suchandra-ji's.

"Survival of the fittest" is an utterly materialistic bastard child of Darwin's scientific theory. It ignores the all-too-natural (and mundane for that matter) qualities of cooperation, compassion, attraction, friendship, etc.

By your logic, if I get fired for posting on Audarya all day, I can just go down to the Safeway and get a job as a butcher, no?

Speaking of cooperation. If more aspiring Vaishnavas like ourselves could see past our petty differences and cooperate instead of engaging in a struggle with one another for survival, wouldn't we thrive?

Here in Santa Cruz, the disciples of Baba Hari Das own a number of well-established legitimate businesses.

I understand that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) Earthlink is owned by Scientologists (wouldn't it be safe to assume that the Scientologists applying for jobs there might get some special consideration?).

Santu Cruz?

Hey...... I was in Santa Cruz when you were just a sparkle in your Dad's eye.

Well, I was there in the early eighties before the earthquake destroyed downtown and changed Santa Cruz forever.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch now!

I never got a college education as I decided to give up 6 years of college I had coming from my military service during the Vietnam war and give 8 years to the Krishna consciousness movement.

But, now my son and I operate a computer repair and Network Administration business out of my home in beautiful North Florida.

My son could dance circles around you as far as IT is concerned and he is self taught........ (I guess he gets his genius from his dad?)

When you grow up and wise-up you maybe you will realize that California is for losers and move to sunny Florida where the ocean currents are warm and the Carribean is just a few hours away....:D

oooops................. maybe I am talking too much?:wacko:

You Hare Krishnas are crazy................:popcorn:

Santu Cruz?

Hey...... I was in Santa Cruz when you were just a sparkle in your Dad's eye.

Well, I was there in the early eighties before the earthquake destroyed downtown and changed Santa Cruz forever.

Not quite. You once mentioned being at the 13th Street San Jose Temple in 1982. I would have been the snot-nosed 10-year old running around in the back-yard during the class.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch now!
What do you mean? I'm not wearing any underwear at all :P

But, now my son and I operate a computer repair and Network Administration business out of my home in beautiful North Florida.

My son could dance circles around you as far as IT is concerned and he is self taught........ (I guess he gets his genius from his dad?)

That sounds divine. I hope you put Earthlink out of business :)

I sure *hope* your son can dance circles around me. I'm only "special" by government standards.

When you grow up and wise-up you maybe you will realize that California is for losers and move to sunny Florida where the ocean currents are warm and the Carribean is just a few hours away....:D

You know, my step-dad keeps telling me the exact same thing. Chances are I'll never own a home here in Santa Cruz (unless it's a code-violating Yurt on an empty piece of already harvested timber-land in Lompico).

oooops................. maybe I am talking too much?:wacko:

Call me crazy, but I can't get enough of your rich, dusky words.

You Hare Krishnas are crazy................:popcorn:

Aw, now you're shamelessly flattering me. I'm such a sucker.

Not quite. You once mentioned being at the 13th Street San Jose Temple in 1982. I would have been the snot-nosed 10-year old running around in the back-yard during the class.

then maybe you remember that I was Narada Muni in the play that time?

You probably ate some of my cooking then....?

that means I am somethings like a god to you?

then who's brat are you?

wow..... I loved that San Jose temple.

It's damn shame I had to bloop because Sudhira Maharaja kept stepping on my toes as head cook and kitchen manager.

Not only was I the head cook who set up that kitchen there, but I also was the first pujari to establish a regular program of deity worship and keep it up till I convinced my old friend Ramai to come and take over the deity worship so I could focus on the kitchen that was getting more and more demanding all the time.

I am sure you don't remember me, Kshamabuddhi, the head cook and head pujari for the first two years there?

did you ever try any of my special Hare Krishna Pizza?

:D

then maybe you remember that I was Narada Muni in the play that time?

You probably ate some of my cooking then....?

that means I am somethings like a god to you?

then who's brat are you?

Sadly, I can't remember that play.

No doubt, I had the great fortune of attempting to honor the remnants of the foodstuffs you had prepared for the Lord.

You *are* something like a god to me Dear Uncle (if an irreverent and sometimes vengeful god).

I'm Rasangi Devi Dasi's brat. Raghavendu Prabhu is my step-father. Dharmadhyaksa Prabhu is my birth father.

wow..... I loved that San Jose temple.

It's damn shame I had to bloop because Sudhira Maharaja kept stepping on my toes as head cook and kitchen manager.

No doubt, we are all saddened. I see Sripad Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaj as a god much as I see you as a god. His splendor is brilliant and undeniable, and I must retreat to a safe distance before I can view it through slitted eyes.

Not only was I the head cook who set up that kitchen there, but I also was the first pujari to establish a regular program of deity worship and keep it up till I convinced my old friend Ramai to come and take over the deity worship so I could focus on the kitchen that was getting more and more demanding all the time.

Well, Ramai Prabhu is still one of the pillars of our community, lovingly executing all of the arcana (with the occasional break provided by young Nilamani Prabhu (son of Srutasrava Prabhu)). We pray for his safe passage up and down Rodeo Gulch Road each afternoon while he goes for a bike ride during Their Lordships' naptimes.

Knowing that you brought dear Ramai to this community places me eternally in your debt. I hope I have the chance to embrace your feet before leaving this body!

I am sure you don't remember me, Kshamabuddhi, the head cook and head pujari for the first two years there?

did you ever try any of my special Hare Krishna Pizza?

:D

With my sieve-like memory, I'm ashamed to say I don't remember you, Prabhu, but others have praised you to me.

Some Hare Krishna Pizza sounds really good right now!! Can you Express Mail some? Just be sure to use soy cheese so we don't offend Theist Prabhu.

Sadly, I can't remember that play.

No doubt, I had the great fortune of attempting to honor the remnants of the foodstuffs you had prepared for the Lord.

You *are* something like a god to me Dear Uncle (if an irreverent and sometimes vengeful god).

I'm Rasangi Devi Dasi's brat. Raghavendu Prabhu is my step-father. Dharmadhyaksa Prabhu is my birth father.

No doubt, we are all saddened. I see Sripad Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaj as a god much as I see you as a god. His splendor is brilliant and undeniable, and I must retreat to a safe distance before I can view it through slitted eyes.

Well, Ramai Prabhu is still one of the pillars of our community, lovingly executing all of the arcana (with the occasional break provided by young Nilamani Prabhu (son of Srutasrava Prabhu)). We pray for his safe passage up and down Rodeo Gulch Road each afternoon while he goes for a bike ride during Their Lordships' naptimes.

Knowing that you brought dear Ramai to this community places me eternally in your debt. I hope I have the chance to embrace your feet before leaving this body!

With my sieve-like memory, I'm ashamed to say I don't remember you, Prabhu, but others have praised you to me.

Some Hare Krishna Pizza sounds really good right now!! Can you Express Mail some? Just be sure to use soy cheese so we don't offend Theist Prabhu.

nice.....

then I offer you all respect and fatherly love as a second generation of the Krishna consciousness movement.

I ran into Raghavendu at the New Ramanreti temple a few years ago here and it was really sweet to talk to him.

He clued me in on some of the west coast goings on.

I have to say that I really enjoyed talking to him and I was very sad to have to part company that afternoon.

I know what you are talking about now in regards to someone getting his head blown off with a shotgun.

What threw me was that I always thought Raghavendu killed that idiot with a pistol and not a shotgun.

It's good he only had to do a few years in prison for that and got out really quick on a homicide conviction.

You know when I get faced with real devotees whom I love and respect, all my politics and prejudice just fade away.

In real life I never argue with anyone.

I am a total pacifist, but not because I am a coward because really I am hardass socially.

I understand that many devotees see Narayana Maharaja as a very advanced Indian guru and sannyasi and prefer him over western sannyasis with a spotted history. If I was in their situation I might very well see it the same way.

What can I say.

These old devotees that are your parents and step-parents are very dear to me and I would really hate to say anything that would insult them or hurt their feelings.

Because I live in a virutal cave here in North Florida I get a little eccentric and aloof.

In real life I could never say anything that would cause ill feelings in devotees that I admire and respect.

Not because I am a coward, but because in personal dealings I really hate to hurt the feelings of other people........even non-devotees.

So, most of the time I keep my opinions to myself knowing that I would rather be quiet than start an argument.

The internet is a little impersonal and I have a tendency to let my inner child act out a little too much.:o

You may not like how I spend my time, Theist Prabhu, but none of my supervisors have had any issue with my job performance.

I serious could not care less about how you spend your time. I just wanted to perhaps awaken you to the fact that your work may not be absolutely pure yourself. Obviously a wasted effort.

If you really believe that day-trading is a good way for Vaishnavas to make a living, why not reveal just how much you've made from day-trading since your big windfall in 1999 (the height of the first tech bubble)?

I never advocated it for anyone vaisnavas or otherwise. I just mentioned it in passing in one post and it seemed to set you off. It is perfectly clear why. I should have known better then to say anything about my low class life on a forum like this and open myself to being sucked in to the great Hare Krsna soap opera.

For that matter, why not reveal just how much you made at that time (on the backs of other less-fortunate (or "accute" if we're being generous) investors)? For 8 years now, you have been living on the fruit of others' misery, isn't it?

How much? None of your business again. But here we come to it. You are blaming me for showing a net whereas you father lost "your" $140,000 causing you to have to take out a student loan and pay it back. So you on some very near surface level are angry for what you see as my taking your 140,000.

Gain comes from Krsna. Loss comes from Krsna. Roll with it.

Is there any other personal information of mine which I may furnish to you for the purpose of reprisals?

No I have no interest. You apparently still think your governmental bueracratic work is not covered by any fault but Krsna says differently in the Gita where he tells us EVERY endeavor is covered by some kind of fault. And for sure wherever there is a fault a fault finder is sure to follow.

TRANSLATION

Every endeavor is covered by some fault, just as fire is covered by smoke. Therefore one should not give up the work born of his nature, O son of Kunti, even if such work is full of fault.

PURPORT

In conditioned life, all work is contaminated by the material modes of nature. Even if one is a brahmana, he has to perform sacrifices in which animal killing is necessary. Similarly, a kshatriya, however pious he may be, has to fight enemies. He cannot avoid it. Similarly, a merchant, however pious he may be, must sometimes hide his profit to stay in business, or he may sometimes have to do business on the black market. These things are necessary; one cannot avoid them. Similarly, even though a man is a sudra serving a bad master, he has to carry out the order of the master, even though it should not be done. Despite these flaws, one should continue to carry out his prescribed duties, for they are born out of his own nature.

A very nice example is given herein. Although fire is pure, still there is smoke. Yet smoke does not make the fire impure. Even though there is smoke in the fire, fire is still considered to be the purest of all elements. If one prefers to give up the work of a kshatriya and take up the occupation of a brahmana, he is not assured that in the occupation of a brahmana there are no unpleasant duties. One may then conclude that in the material world no one can be completely free from the contamination of material nature. This example of fire and smoke is very appropriate in this connection. When in wintertime one takes a stone from the fire, sometimes smoke disturbs the eyes and other parts of the body, but still one must make use of the fire despite disturbing conditions. Similarly, one should not give up his natural occupation because there are some disturbing elements. Rather, one should be determined to serve the Supreme Lord by his occupational duty in Krishna consciousness. That is the perfectional point. When a particular type of occupation is performed for the satisfaction of the Supreme Lord, all the defects in that particular occupation are purified. When the results of work are purified, when connected with devotional service, one becomes perfect in seeing the self within, and that is self-realization.

Bg 18.48

TRANSLATION

Every endeavor is covered by some fault, just as fire is covered by smoke. Therefore one should not give up the work born of his nature, O son of Kunti, even if such work is full of fault.:smash:

PURPORT

In conditioned life, all work is contaminated by the material modes of nature. Even if one is a brahmana, he has to perform sacrifices in which animal killing is necessary. Similarly, a kshatriya, however pious he may be, has to fight enemies. He cannot avoid it. Similarly, a merchant, however pious he may be, must sometimes hide his profit to stay in business, or he may sometimes have to do business on the black market. These things are necessary; one cannot avoid them. Similarly, even though a man is a sudra serving a bad master, he has to carry out the order of the master, even though it should not be done. Despite these flaws, one should continue to carry out his prescribed duties, for they are born out of his own nature.

A very nice example is given herein. Although fire is pure, still there is smoke. Yet smoke does not make the fire impure. Even though there is smoke in the fire, fire is still considered to be the purest of all elements. If one prefers to give up the work of a kshatriya and take up the occupation of a brahmana, he is not assured that in the occupation of a brahmana there are no unpleasant duties. One may then conclude that in the material world no one can be completely free from the contamination of material nature. This example of fire and smoke is very appropriate in this connection. When in wintertime one takes a stone from the fire, sometimes smoke disturbs the eyes and other parts of the body, but still one must make use of the fire despite disturbing conditions. Similarly, one should not give up his natural occupation because there are some disturbing elements. Rather, one should be determined to serve the Supreme Lord by his occupational duty in Krishna consciousness. That is the perfectional point. When a particular type of occupation is performed for the satisfaction of the Supreme Lord, all the defects in that particular occupation are purified. When the results of work are purified, when connected with devotional service, one becomes perfect in seeing the self within, and that is self-realization.

Bg 18.48

Guest guest

Murali_Mohan_das,

You are dark mate. You have a lot of inner enermies (ant shatrus) you need to deal with, Irsha (envy) and Maan (pride) being just two of them.

No-one is faultless except for Sri Krsna. Insulting the devotees of Sri Krsna is like insulting the saints (santos) of Sri Krsna and Sri Krsna does not forgive for this.

Before you speak/write, think of if Sri Krsna is going to like what you have to say/write and then speak/write.

Jay Sri Hari

I serious could not care less about how you spend your time. I just wanted to perhaps awaken you to the fact that your work may not be absolutely pure yourself. Obviously a wasted effort.

Thanks for the efforts. I am often deluded. Also, I am a firm believer in declaring our faults for all to see and learn from. This approach has served me well at work as well--when I make a mistake, rather than playing CYA (cover your a$$), I share it with all in hopes they will not make the same mistake.

I never advocated it for anyone vaisnavas or otherwise. I just mentioned it in passing in one post and it seemed to set you off. It is perfectly clear why. I should have known better then to say anything about my low class life on a forum like this and open myself to being sucked in to the great Hare Krsna soap opera.

Ah, so the Ford recommendation was part of your humor (like the lottery ticket mention). In my agitation, I must have missed that.

I apologize again for addressing you by name to start this forum. As I said before, it's a sign of my envy. You can accept my apologies or reject them as false. May I continue (or start to as the case might be) to feel remorse.

How much? None of your business again. But here we come to it. You are blaming me for showing a net whereas you father lost "your" $140,000 causing you to have to take out a student loan and pay it back. So you on some very near surface level are angry for what you see as my taking your 140,000.

None of my business. Just as it is none of my business (or anybody else's) how much my father lost (or how he got the money to lose in the first place--which I'd happily volunteer). But, if someone can benefit from the tale of his woe, why should I not shout it from atop the mountain?

My college career was finished five or more years before my Dad ever started day-trading. I never expected him to pay off the loans. I'd have to be rather dense to not make the connection in my mind, though, that the amount he lost is ten times what I owe.

Gain comes from Krsna. Loss comes from Krsna. Roll with it.

I'm doing my best, Merciful Prabhu. I can do better.

No I have no interest. You apparently still think your governmental bueracratic work is not covered by any fault but Krsna says differently in the Gita where he tells us EVERY endeavor is covered by some kind of fault. And for sure wherever there is a fault a fault finder is sure to follow.

You may recall my claim that Maya Devi is deluding me into believing my work is honorable. I know first hand how much waste and cheating happens in the government sector.

The bottom line is: I can do this work and sleep well at night. If you can day-trade and sleep well, bless you!!

I certainly could not sleep well at night knowing I had an opportunity to warn others about the risks of speculative investment and failed to take that opportunity.

In my view, day-trading is all smoke and no fire.

TRANSLATION

Every endeavor is covered by some fault, just as fire is covered by smoke. Therefore one should not give up the work born of his nature, O son of Kunti, even if such work is full of fault.

PURPORT

Bg 18.48

I gleefully celebrate my anarthas. For, when I stumble and fall over them, some kind Vaishnava like yourself always seems to come along to lift me back up onto my feet.

I ("I am that I am not"--not "I am that I am") am dark, bitter and angry. I have no fear of the "dark place" (mainframe (tech) reference).

No offense was intended to the Vaishnavas, though. My attack was on a behavior, not a person. The person I name remains my master and free to caress or abuse me as he likes. Of course, if offense was taken, I am certainly to blame.

Hari!!!!

Murali_Mohan_das,

You are dark mate. You have a lot of inner enermies (ant shatrus) you need to deal with, Irsha (envy) and Maan (pride) being just two of them.

No-one is faultless except for Sri Krsna. Insulting the devotees of Sri Krsna is like insulting the saints (santos) of Sri Krsna and Sri Krsna does not forgive for this.

Before you speak/write, think of if Sri Krsna is going to like what you have to say/write and then speak/write.

Jay Sri Hari

In my view, day-trading is all smoke and no fire.

Simply means you are blinded by the smoke and can't see the fire. But most children know the fire must be there or there would be no smoke. And it's that fire that keeps me in a warm environment at night where I sleep very well.

Please continue with your little rants and taunts. Tell us more about the how wonderful you are at your wonderful work.

nice.....

then I offer you all respect and fatherly love as a second generation of the Krishna consciousness movement.

Thank you for your blessing, Uncle!!

I ran into Raghavendu at the New Ramanreti temple a few years ago here and it was really sweet to talk to him.

He clued me in on some of the west coast goings on.

I have to say that I really enjoyed talking to him and I was very sad to have to part company that afternoon.

I know what you are talking about now in regards to someone getting his head blown off with a shotgun.

What threw me was that I always thought Raghavendu killed that idiot with a pistol and not a shotgun.

It's good he only had to do a few years in prison for that and got out really quick on a homicide conviction.

It's obvious you hold Raghavendu Prabhu in high regard. Surely you see how sincere and good-hearted he is. Since you mention this bit of history, perhaps more of the story should be told here (another cautionary tale)...

I don't recall mentioning anything about anybody and a shotgun.

This is the story to the best of my recollection:

Raghavendu and his first wife were living in the Miami ISKCON temple in the mid to late 70's as new, young devotees. Somehow, the (married, with a daughter) temple president got involved romantically with Raghavendu Prabhu's wife.

In an effort to remedy the situation, Raghavendu moved with his family to L.A. The Miami temple president headed west and ended up living with Raghavendu's wife a couple hour's drive from L.A.

Raghavendu Prabhu got much advice from other relatively new bhaktas as to what the "Vedic" thing to do in the situation would be. The advice involved violence. Somebody left a gun (it *was* a pistol) on a dresser for Raghavendu to find.

When R. went to confront his wife and her lover (with the gun for protection), the lover shot at R. through the front door. R. shot back and the man was killed.

Considering that it was a "crime of passion" Raghavendu Prabhu served 3 years for manslaughter (not "murder").

I have, on a number of occasions, seen Raghavendu Prabhu happily conversing with the widow and daughter of the man whom he delivered from his body (it was the widow's brother that furnished the gun). They seem to bear him no ill-will.

Raghavendu Prabhu and my mother have been married since 1980'ish and they have two grown children together. When the children were young, we wished to shield them from this unsavory tale, but, as adults they know, so, while not a palatable topic of conversation, it's not a secret.

My stepfather is called "Grandpa" by my kids and I love him as if he were my own birth father. He has shown me so much kindness over the years and has shared so much enlivening katha.

All glories to that illustrious servant of the Vaishnavas, Sripad Raghavendu Prabhu!!!

...and now is probably a good time for me to shut my big mouth and sit in a corner for a while.

Allow me to pass on this book recommendation from my senior Godbrother for those with an interest in learning more about how crooked the markets are.

It's an old book, but the markets are the same. If anything, it's harder to make an "honest living" trading because all the major firms hire Computer Science PhD's to write trading software for them.

The book is called:

"Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lef́aevre

You can read a few pages of it on Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HT5c4rPK59EC&pg=PA111&dq=confessions+of+a+stock+operator&psp=1&sig=rU_RGrAAzk-HDQX4GVsDIY-PVMo#PPA113,M1