IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

hinduism should be more modern about women,s lib

Rate this topic

Guest guest

today,s women is not like dropadi accepting 5 husbands, she should be given more free hands in hinduisms.we should discuss and give women a equlivent position .

There is truth in what you say. Woman should have full facilities for eductaion for example. When you say woman's lib many will think of the woman libbers in the west with their abortion rights campaign and unsound positions on many issues nbut I hear where you are coming from.

Of course as we know real liberation is of the soul.

I do not like what some women advocate in the name of liberation. They point towards many bad habits that some men indulge into and claim that women also should have the right to do so.

Once I was watching a discussion pogram on TV. The topic was if it is fine to take alcoholic beverages and to smoke. One woman participant (a TV actress) answered that it was perfectly fine. She claimed that she liked drinking and smoking. When some other participants pointed the negative effects it can have on health, then she answered, "I am a modern woman. I believe in women-liberation. When men can drink and smoke, why can't I?"

I once read a news-article. Some women had been caught stealing. They said, "If men can steal, what is wrong in women doing so?"

There are many such cases where some wrong things done by some women have been praised in the name of liberation.

If some men have done some wrong things, then it is not proper to say that women also should be allowed to do so. Rather we should say that men also should not do so. It is true that some men steal. But are they really allowed to so so? No. Then why should women be allowed?

We should not say that somebody else is doing something bad and, that is why, we'll also do. Rather we should say that we do not do such bad things and others also should not do.

Let me not talk only negative things. Many good things are also being done in the name of liberation. Example: - education.

There should be equality. The first thing we should do is to go through constitution. Search for gende-sensitive words like man, woman, boy, girl, husband, wife, father, mother etc. and replace those by gender neutral words like person, spouse, parent etc. except in those places where the difference is purely due to bilogical reasons and is made by nature. One example of the exception could be giving birth. We know that women can give birth and not men. Therefore, if somewhere the constitution talks about the scenario where a woman gives birth, then there is no need to replace the usage of the word woman by person. But, in all other cases, use gender-neutral words.