IndiaDivine.org
Guest guest

Who does Lord Shiva meditate upon?

Rate this topic

Haribol!

Your problem is that you still do not understand that tamasic is not a BAD thing. Humans misuse tamasic activities, therefore they become bad. Shiva NEVER misuses his tamasic abilities, therefore he is always GOOD.

I don't know how to explain this further if you will only continue to insult me. Insulting others is not Vaishnav, nor is it Shaiva. Allow me to tell you that my mother is a Vaishnav and my father is a Shaiva. Both Shiva and Krishna are worshipped in my house and I would never denigrate Lord Shiva.

And y k , why did you agree to my explanation, only to retract and agree with guestbc? That is an example of an unsteady mind, as you agree with whoever you've just spoken to. It happens to be a tamasic trait, so I would carefully consider all my thoughts, if I were you.

Guestbc, I cannot believe that you would regard my post as a 'hate writing' such as the Christians wrote about the Jews! As far as I know, Shaivas and Vaishnavs have never hated each other, nor have they fought each other. If Shiva and Vishnu can show such examples of love and devotion to each other, why can Shaivas and Vaishnav's not show that same love and acceptance of each other?

Please do not take my posts to be denigrations of Shiva, I would never insult him or support anyone who did.

Haribol!

Jai

Guest guest

Haribol!

Your problem is that you still do not understand that tamasic is not a BAD thing. Humans misuse tamasic activities, therefore they become bad. Shiva NEVER misuses his tamasic abilities, therefore he is always GOOD.

It is plain and simple. No Shaiva will sees Shiva as Tamasic and hence your arguments in support of such a concept are futile. Now if you can locate a Shaiva who is willing to see Shiva as Tamasic, then your argument will hold some merit; not otherwise.

If Shiva and Vishnu can show such examples of love and devotion to each other, why can Shaivas and Vaishnav's not show that same love and acceptance of each other?

Sure, once you stop painting Shiva with a Tamasic brush, you will open the door for love and acceptance to come in.

I will say Gaudiya Vaishnavism is false philosophy because it lacks authenticity and clear doctrines. But I do not want my position to act as a barrier between myself and hare krishnas. I wish to see love and compassion prevail. Do you see that working in spite of my negative views on the HK system? If not, then do you see why your view of Shiva will not go down well with Shaivas?

Om

Guest guest

It is not matter of going well or not. Medicines can be bitter but we don't avoid them. The fact is that we should discuss based on the Sastra. If you can provide reference from scriptures that establish your point, then there will be agreement. Else, it is simply sentimentalism (whoever it may be, not targetting any group).

It is plain and simple. No Shaiva will sees Shiva as Tamasic and hence your arguments in support of such a concept are futile. Now if you can locate a Shaiva who is willing to see Shiva as Tamasic, then your argument will hold some merit; not otherwise.

Sure, once you stop painting Shiva with a Tamasic brush, you will open the door for love and acceptance to come in.

I will say Gaudiya Vaishnavism is false philosophy because it lacks authenticity and clear doctrines. But I do not want my position to act as a barrier between myself and hare krishnas. I wish to see love and compassion prevail. Do you see that working in spite of my negative views on the HK system? If not, then do you see why your view of Shiva will not go down well with Shaivas?

Om

Guest guest

It is not matter of going well or not. Medicines can be bitter but we don't avoid them. The fact is that we should discuss based on the Sastra. If you can provide reference from scriptures that establish your point, then there will be agreement. Else, it is simply sentimentalism (whoever it may be, not targetting any group).

Very simple. The burden of proof lies on the person who came up on the forum and called Shiva tamasic. Let him or her provide a non-Vaishnava source which calls Shiva tamasic and then you have your evidence. If you disagree with this logic, then consider this: I go on a forum and label Krishna as Tamasic. The burden of proof lies on me and not on someone else who challenges the validity of my statement

Else, it is just plain old Vaishnava-Shaiva rivalry and has no value.

Om

Guest guest

beggar,

Well, I decided not to vociferate, since this leads to my getting banned by the pro HK administrators usually and only useless arguments from Hk community trying hard to prove Shiva as tamsik. The 'real' gaudiya concepts are also double standard in nature and keep lingering between different right and wrong.

Here is an example of one manifesting a tamasic mentality. All subtle arguments such as the real Gaudiya Vaisnava concept of Shiva Ji are lost upon them. So, lost upon them that they are not even capable of giving an intellegent rebuttal.:mad2:

Guest guest

dear Zjj,

If u ever read back on most of my posts, I've always tried to explain and valued the loving relation of Shiva and Vishnu above the regular HK God positioning agenda. I have never agreed with Shiva as tamasik in the light as most HKs understand. Not everyone has a Shaiv father and a Vaishnava mother. You are lucky to have the best of both.

So am I. As experienced, many Vaishnavas (especially HKs) do propagate

Lord Shiva as a mere "demiGod" and tamasik in a wrong way.

And as soon as the word tamas is pronounced, they want to avoid it and not see it in good light. This is their understanding. This is what I have seen almost everywhere. Furthermore, Most Vaishnavas do not consider Lord Shiva can grant liberation. I do not agree with this. Now u can decide if my thoughts are in line with yours or with guestabc.

Hari hari!

Haribol!

I don't know how to explain this further if you will only continue to insult me. Insulting others is not Vaishnav, nor is it Shaiva. Allow me to tell you that my mother is a Vaishnav and my father is a Shaiva. Both Shiva and Krishna are worshipped in my house and I would never denigrate Lord Shiva.

And y k , why did you agree to my explanation, only to retract and agree with guestbc? That is an example of an unsteady mind, as you agree with whoever you've just spoken to. It happens to be a tamasic trait, so I would carefully consider all my thoughts, if I were you.

Guestbc, I cannot believe that you would regard my post as a 'hate writing' such as the Christians wrote about the Jews! As far as I know, Shaivas and Vaishnavs have never hated each other, nor have they fought each other. If Shiva and Vishnu can show such examples of love and devotion to each other, why can Shaivas and Vaishnav's not show that same love and acceptance of each other?

Please do not take my posts to be denigrations of Shiva, I would never insult him or support anyone who did.

Haribol!

Jai

...As experienced, many Vaishnavas (especially HKs) do propagate

Srila Prabhuapda explained that Lord Siva is not a demigod but rather a semigod. Of course you probably can't handle the reasoning, but it is connected with the milk transformed into yogurt analogy in the Brahma Samhita. Srila Sridhar Maharaja has explained that Sada Siva and Maha Visnu are more or less the same. In the Caitanyite theology Sri Advaita Acarya is considered to be an incarnation of Maha Visnu therefore sometimes it is said that his real identity is Sada Siva. At almost all temples connected with Radha Krsna and Mahaprabhu in India there is also a Siva Lingam. At the Lingam, Siva Ji is worshiped as the Dhamesvara, the protecter of the dhama and as Gopisvara Mahadeva. If you look closely at all this you'll see why the Srimad Bhagavatam therefore says, Vaisnavanam yatha sambu, Lord Siva is the best amongst the devotees.

dear Zjj,

If u ever read back on most of my posts, I've always tried to explain and valued the loving relation of Shiva and Vishnu above the regular HK God positioning agenda. I have never agreed with Shiva as tamasik in the light as most HKs understand. Not everyone has a Shaiv father and a Vaishnava mother. You are lucky to have the best of both.

So am I. As experienced, many Vaishnavas (especially HKs) do propagate

And as soon as the word tamas is pronounced, they want to avoid it and not see it in good light. This is their understanding. This is what I have seen almost everywhere. Furthermore, Most Vaishnavas do not consider Lord Shiva can grant liberation. I do not agree with this. Now u can decide if my thoughts are in line with yours or with guestabc.

Hari hari!

Haribol!

Apologies, y k, if I offended you. I think you are right in the sense that there is a misunderstanding where Lord Shiva is involved. Still, people respect Shiva as a Vaishnav and know that he is in a very elevated position. I've never experienced anyone insulting Shiva or disrespecting him the way guestbc says they do. I think that it is a matter of perspective. If we walk around expecting to be insulted then we will see insults everywhere. But if we walk around expecting to be treated with good will then we see good will everywhere. Shiva himself is an example of this. He sees the good in everyone and accepts everyone. This is why even tamasic beings worship him. He is very gracious and kind, indeed.

Jai Bholenath!

Jai

Guest guest

Dear Beggar,

SP tried to explain Lord Shiva's position. But I beg to differ and do not accept that curd milk one sided perspective only. Further more, I do not accept any Gaudiya Vaishnava as a complete authority in explaining Lord Shiva's position as they tend to downplay it due to their natural attachement to the Krishna form and name. They depict Shiva as a Vaishna, but fail to depict Vishnu as a Shaiva. This is one sided approach and comes from attachment to the Krishna form. Shaivas are attached to the Shiva form and see it from the other perspective. I find it difficult to be stuck up on one perspective, cause the ultimate reality is hard to explain keeping to the doctrines of one sampradaya alone. I cannot consider Lord Shiva as a soured up curd or a mere demi God or semi Demi God explaination. Why did Prabhupada relate his understanding of milk curd analogy ALONE from Brahma Samhita when it comes to Lord Shiva, but not to the one given in his ever loving authoritative SB, can be understood.

Please read: "SB 4.6.42: Lord Brahma said: My dear Lord Shiva, I know that you are the controller of the entire material manifestation, the combination father and mother of the cosmic manifestation, and the Supreme Brahman beyond the cosmic manifestation as well. I know you in that way."

This is the understanding of Lord Brahma. If Srila Prabhupada differs on his understanding of Shiva, then I may not fully agree with him. Nowhere does Krishna calls Shiva - a mere demiGod! This is the way it is interpreted which is colored by the sampradaya's approach and intention. Again:

"SB 8.7.20: The devas observed Lord ?iva sitting on the summit of Kail?sa Hill with his wife, Bhav?n?, for the auspicious development of the three worlds. He was being worshiped by great saintly persons desiring liberation. The devas offered him their obeisances and prayers with great respect. Therefore when a devotee of Lord Shiva worship him as supreme and thus gain libretion in Mahesh dham"

This is the observance of the Gods.

I met Srila Sridhara Maharaj and was rather impressed and loved his bhakti vibrations and love that emanates from him. He is a wonderful soul! He loves Krishna. But the Gaudiya approach doesn't allow Lord Shiva as anything except a 'devotee' of Krishna! And he can't except otherwise either. Again, he is a Vaishnava and to understand Shiva, I'd rather approach a Shaiva. Why should I approach a professor of engineering to understand the human body? Why do Gaudiyas worship Shiva (if they do at all), as Dhameswara and Gopiswara only? Why not Mahakaal, Ardhnarishwara, Pashupatinaath and Sadashiva? This is the question. It is indeed a matter of perspective, indeed.

I don't mind accepting Shiva as Vaishnava and Vishnu as Shaiva. They are two sides to the same coin. But Vaishnavas look at one side only and some Shaivas look at the other side only. That's the whole conflict!

Thanks for the Advaita Acharya info. But again, I find it hard to agree that in almost every temple of Radha Krsna and Mahaprabhu there is a Siva Lingam. This is so untrue!!! If we look all the temples made by Iskcon and gaudiya math, there is no Shiva Lingam even near to any temple ever!!! Why don't Iskcon adhere to the Every Radha Krishna temple having a Shiva Lingam tradition then? I saw the Gopishwara small temples in Govardhana though. This again shows the difference in the present day gaudiya and the older Lord Krishna time approach to Shiva. All gopis and Nanda village worshipped Shiva. Shivratri was observed. Pandavas and queen Kunti worshipped Shiva too and observed Shivaratri. If you go to teh ancient Bhojpur temple in Madhya Pradesh in India, you can see the gigantic temple where queen kunti worshipped him. And wives of Krishna also worshipped Shiva. When Krishna abducted his wife, she came out after worship at the local Shiva temple. The tradition was to offer prayers at the Shiva temple for an auspicious married life. This is historical. And Shiva is also the giver of liberation. And so is Krishna. Hence I can't accept the semiGod/demigod philosophy of Lord Shiva. This is more of a speculation and does not reflect Lord Shiva's true identity. It is essentially a Vaishnava approach. more so a Gaudiya Vaishnava approach. I like them for bhakti, but don't really accept demi/semiGod version.

I'd rather accept Lord Krishna's explaination of Lord Shiva to Yudhishthira in the Mahabharata rather than Srila Prabhupada's. Krishna is superior authority in any case, for me, as well as for Srila Prabhupada and others.

I'm sorry if I happened to hurt yours or anyone's faith sentiments in anyway.

Love and Regards,

y.k.

Srila Prabhuapda explained that Lord Siva is not a demigod but rather a semigod. Of course you probably can't handle the reasoning, but it is connected with the milk transformed into yogurt analogy in the Brahma Samhita. Srila Sridhar Maharaja has explained that Sada Siva and Maha Visnu are more or less the same. In the Caitanyite theology Sri Advaita Acarya is considered to be an incarnation of Maha Visnu therefore sometimes it is said that his real identity is Sada Siva. At almost all temples connected with Radha Krsna and Mahaprabhu in India there is also a Siva Lingam. At the Lingam, Siva Ji is worshiped as the Dhamesvara, the protecter of the dhama and as Gopisvara Mahadeva. If you look closely at all this you'll see why the Srimad Bhagavatam therefore says, Vaisnavanam yatha sambu, Lord Siva is the best amongst the devotees.

Guest guest

Dear zjj,

Yes Lord Shiva is know as Bholenath, one who is easily and simply pleased and even allows tamsic being to worship him. He makes way for their liberation too.

Most Vaishnavas consider him exalted. Of course not as exalted as the Shaivas consider. But unfortunately, I see a lowering down sentiment present too. I just got a message from an Iskcon friend of mine who has been a direct Prabhupada disciple for more than 30 years. He is stating again and again that Lord Shiva is a demiGod and that we are forbidden to his worship and that it is mode of ignorance. :( He wrote: "This is Hinduized NONESENSE that Shiva is a God!!" :/

What can I say. I cannot insult Shiva or Krishna. And don't agree with those insulting or belittle either.

Regards,

yk

Haribol!

Apologies, y k, if I offended you. I think you are right in the sense that there is a misunderstanding where Lord Shiva is involved. Still, people respect Shiva as a Vaishnav and know that he is in a very elevated position. I've never experienced anyone insulting Shiva or disrespecting him the way guestbc says they do. I think that it is a matter of perspective. If we walk around expecting to be insulted then we will see insults everywhere. But if we walk around expecting to be treated with good will then we see good will everywhere. Shiva himself is an example of this. He sees the good in everyone and accepts everyone. This is why even tamasic beings worship him. He is very gracious and kind, indeed.

Jai Bholenath!

Jai

Guest guest

Dear zjj,

Yes Lord Shiva is know as Bholenath, one who is easily and simply pleased and even allows tamsic being to worship him. He makes way for their liberation too.

Most Vaishnavas consider him exalted. Of course not as exalted as the Shaivas consider. But unfortunately, I see a lowering down sentiment present too. I just got a message from an Iskcon friend of mine who has been a direct Prabhupada disciple for more than 30 years. He is stating again and again that Lord Shiva is a demiGod and that we are forbidden to his worship and that it is mode of ignorance. :( He wrote: "This is Hinduized NONESENSE that Shiva is a God!!" :/

What can I say. I cannot insult Shiva or Krishna. And don't agree with those insulting or belittle either.

Regards,

yk

Your Gaudiya friend is correct in what he says as that is the prevalent view among Vaishnavas about Shiva. Based on some Vaishnava scriptures, Shiva is considered tamasic and a devotee of Vishnu. They are welcome to their views, but it becomes a problem when they try to pass these ideas off as universal truths on non-Vaishnava threads. They have to understand that they are holding a sectarian view on this topic and it is inappropriate to be calling Shiva a devotee of Vishnu outside their Vaishnava circle.

In the Shaiva world, Shiva is the Supreme Lord and Kailasa is the ultimate abode attainable for devotees. Shiva is perfectly capable of granting liberation to the worthy and his depiction as being in meditation shows Shiva in a state of Samadhi. It is not that he is meditating on Chaitanya or Vishnu or Jesus Christ or Prabhupada. In short, the pet views of Gaudiyas of Shiva being the topmost devotee, etc., are rejected by Shaivas as sectarian babble and it would be proper etiquette on their part to avoid such posts on threads related to Shiva.

Om

Srila Govinda Maharaja, Srila Sridhar Maharaja's official successor has a established a small Siva temple on the grounds of the Sri Caitanya Saraswat Math in Navadvipa. Some of his followers who I have met have related a story of how, Govinda Maharaja, is actually the son of Lord Siva. Maybe somebody on this forum knows more about it.

I just did a find and here's what I got:

"Once I was almost dying, and suddenly Govinda Maharaj came and gave me some medicine, and that helped me - gave me new life. So he has some mystic ability. When his mother gave birth to him she prayed to Shiva -- near Jamalpur there is a Buroraj Shiva Temple. She prayed to that Shiva, "May I have a child," and then Govinda Maharaj was born. Shiva has given one holy person, with some sort of siddhi, mystic power. I sometimes think he might have possessed it." - Srila Bhakti Raksak Sridhar Dev-Goswami Maharaj

And:

Following is an excerpt from Bhakti Lalita Devi Dasi’s biography of Srila Gurudev, His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Sundar Govinda Dev-Goswami Maharaj. From the chapter 'Son of Lord Shiva:'

In the holy village of Sripat Bamunpara, District Burdwan, West Bengal lived the blessed parents of His Divine Grace Srila Bhakti Sundar Govinda Dev-Goswami Maharaj – Sri Nitai Pada Das Adhikari and Srimati Tarangini Devi, of the respected brahminical lineage Chatterjee. Sri Nitai Pada Das Adhikari and his forefathers were of (followed in) the
'parivar'
or disciplic succession of Lord Sri Nityananda Prabhu. It is general knowledge in the family that Lord Nityananda Prabhu Himself awarded the title "Das Adhikari" to the family, thereby changing Chatterjee to the title Das Adhikari. Nityananda Prabhu is also believed to have had some connection with the family Deities "Sri Sri Radha-Gopinathjiu," who are still being worshipped today in a beautiful Temple at the Das Adhikari residence in Sripat Bamunpara.

The first-born child and son of Nitai Pada Prabhu and Tarangini Devi died one year after his birth. With grief-stricken hearts and earnest prayers, the blessed couple decided to invoke the grace of Lord Shiva for his son to appear in their family. Undergoing the appropriate worship of the Deity Buraraj (or 'old' Shiva, a very ancient and famous Shiva Lingam presiding in Jamalpur, District Burdwan), and satisfying him with offerings of Bael leaves, Ganges water and a promise that the boy would one day take
sannyas,
Nitai Pada Prabhu and Tarangini Devi conceived the son of Lord Shiva.

At the auspicious moment of Krsna
-paksa ditia titi
(lunar day), under the star of
mitum
(Gemini), ascending in
tula
(Libra), on Tuesday, the seventeenth of December, 1929, at four o'clock a.m., the divine child appeared. When the birth announcement first reached Nitai Pada Prabhu's ears, he ran straight for Jamalpur without even seeing the newly born baby. Arriving at the temple of Buraraj with his prostrated obeisances, Nitai Pada Prabhu prayerfully reported to Lord Shiva the news of his son's birth. At that moment, Nitai Pada Prabhu heard the voice of Shiva: "Yes my son has taken his birth, but go at once and remove the
khajol
(black protective markings customarily applied on babies and children in India to counteract any inauspiciousness, envy, ghosts, etc.) from his body! I am his protector and no evil can ever touch him."

Nitai Pada Prabhu was astonished and returned immediately to his residence in Bamunpara to find that, indeed, the women of the family had covered the newborn baby with
khajol.
After Nitai Pada Prabhu relayed the order of Shiva to the family, they joyfully washed away the
khajol
from the body of the newborn boy. From that day on, everyone in the village and surrounding areas knew this boy to be the "son of Lord Shiva," and, needless to say, he was the only child not wearing
khajol.

The divine child was named Dharma Das and was adored by everyone who saw him. He had auspicious long arms and elongated eyes. As a newborn, the women of the village would come and take turns holding and adoring him at five-minute intervals. After one month of confinement in the maternity room, Tarangini Devi set out with Nitai Pada through the jungle to Jamalpur in order to present the baby to Lord Buroraj. On the way, the couple had an encounter with a tiger, who gazed specifically upon the baby. With a fearless heart and full faith in the protection of Lord Buroraj, Tarangini Devi placed the baby on the ground and dared the tiger to touch the son of Lord Shiva. After a few moments, the tiger retreated back into the jungle!

I just got a message from an Iskcon friend of mine who has been a direct Prabhupada disciple for more than 30 years. He is stating again and again that Lord Shiva is a demiGod and that we are forbidden to his worship and that it is mode of ignorance. frown.gif He wrote: "This is Hinduized NONESENSE that Shiva is a God!!" :/

What can I say. I cannot insult Shiva or Krishna. And don't agree with those insulting or belittle either. quote by yK

How you desire to neither insult Lord Shiva or Lord Krishna is exalted behaviour in my opinion. I feel your friends understandings on the said subject are not rightly expressed, from a correct Gaudiya understanding. I am no expert in this subject...but I received the below article from Gurudeva to use in worship on the most Holy Day of Shivaratri.

I think this article holds the correct mood of Gaudiya understanding. Offence to Lord Shiva by demeaning Him is a great offence. In my house I have a small altar with Murtis of Lords Nitai-Gauranga. I also have on the side of this altar a small place for Lord Shiva (Lingam).

Possibly this contention of some devotees and bhaktas is not representative of the higher reality (and moods and sentiments of the pure devotees).

I hope you enjoy this article. Peace to you.:)

(1) Shri Shivaratri Glories

(2) Shri Shivashtaka to be recited in Shivaratri

(3) The Glories of Lord Shiva's Prasada

(4) Lord Gauranga dances in the mood of Lord Shiva

----------

Shri Shivaratri Glories

YANI KANY ATRA LINGANI STHAVARANI CARANI CA

TESU SANKRAMATE DEVAS TASYAM RATRAU YATO HARAH

SIVARATRIS TATAH PROKTA TENA SA HARI VALLABHAH

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 14/200 from SKANDA PURANA, NAGARA KHANDA)

Whatever genital deities of Lord Siva that can be found on this earthly planet, on the night of this fourteenth day of the dark fortnight of the month of Phalguna, Lord Siva, who is a leading demigod, enters into them. For this reason, this day is called Siva Ratri. For this reason, this day is very dear to Lord Sri Hari.

SIVA RATRI VRTAM KRSNA CATUR-DASYANTU PHALGUNE

VAISNAVER API TAT KARYAM SRI KRSNA PRITAYE SADA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 14/187 from GAUTAMIYA TANTRA)

On the fourteenth day of the dark fortnight of the month of Phalguna (February-March), for the pleasure of Lord Sri Krsna, a Vaisnava should always take a vow to fast. (It is called Siva Ratri, or the night of Lord Siva.)

PARAT PARATARAM YANTI NARAYANA PARAYANAH

NATE TATRA GAMISYANTI YE DVISANTI MAHESVARAM

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 14/189 from KURMA PURANA the Supreme Lord speaks to Bhrgu Muni)

One who avoids fasting on Siva Ratri or the "night of Lord Siva", he becomes very offensive. Whatever offenses one accumulates by not fasting on Siva Ratri day is explained here. The destination of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Narayana, is certainly in the spiritual world. But if one is envious of Lord Sri Siva, he does not attain the spiritual world.

SRI KRSNE VAISNAVANANTU PREMA BHAKTI VIVARDHATE

KRSNA BHAKTI RASA SARA VARSI RUDRA ANUKAMPAYA

(HARI BHAKTI VILASA 14/221 from SKANDA PURANA)

Being a Vaisnava, if somebody fasts on Lord Siva's night (Siva Ratri day), by the mercy of him (Lord Siva) who is diving in the ocean of the mellow of

devotion to Krsna, one's devotion to Krsna increases rapidly.

----------

Shri Shivashtakam composed by the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu Himself should be recited on Shivaratri to glorify Lord Shiva:

Sri Sivatakam

composed by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu

namo namas te tri-dasesvaraya, bhutadi-nathaya mridaya nityam

ganga-tarangotthita-bala-candra-cudaya gauri-nayanotsavaya 13

nama nama - repeated obeisances; te - to you; tri-dasa-isvaraya - to the lord of the 30 principal demigods; bhuta - of all beings; adi-nathaya - unto the primeval lord; mdaya - to the gracious one; nityam - perpetually; ganga-taranga - the waves of the Ganga; utthita - arises; bala-candra - by the new moon; cudaya - crested; gauri - for the goddess Gauri (the fairest of women); nayana-utsavaya - to the festival for the eyes.

"I perpetually offer obeisances unto you, the lord of the thirty primal devas, who are the original father of created beings, whose character is gracious, upon whose head, which is crested by the sickle moon, the Ganga springs, and who are a festival for the eyes of Gauri, the fair goddess.

su-tapta-camikara-candra-nila-padma-pravalambuda-kanti-vastraih

suntya-rangeta-vara-pradaya, kaivalya-nathaya va-dhvajaya 14

su-tapta - molten; camikara - gold; candra - moon; nila-padma - blue lotus; pravala - budding; ambuda - cloud; kanti - luster; vastraih - with garments; sa - he; ntya-ranga - of pleasure-dancing; ita - desired; vara-pradaya - to you who bestow the boon; kaivalya-nathaya - to the lord of the monists; va-dhvajaya - to he whose flag bears a bull.

"I offer my obeisances to you who resemble a moon of molten gold, who are dressed in garments colored like a group of budding blue lotuses or lustrous rainclouds, who bestow the most desirable boon to your devotees by your delightful dancing, who offer shelter to those who seek to become one with the transcendental effulgence of Godhead, and whose flag bears the image of the bull.

sudhasu-suryagni-vilocanena, tamo-bhide te jagatah sivaya

sahasra-subhrasu-sahasra-rasmi-sahasra-sanjittvara-tejase 'stu 15

sudha-asu - nectar-rayed (moon); surya - sun; agni - fire; vilocanena - by your eyes; tamo-bhide - the dissipater of darkness; te - to you; jagatah - of the cosmos; sivaya - for auspiciousness; sahasra - a thousand; subhra-asu - white-rayed (moon) sahasra-rasmi - the thousand-rayed sun; sahasra - a thousand; sanjit - completely defeated; tvara - swift; tejase - to you whose power; astu - let it be.

"I offer my obeisances to you who dispel darkness with your three eyes - the moon, the sun, and fire - and thus cause auspiciousness for all the living entities of the universe, and whose potency easily defeats thousands of moons and suns.

nagesa-ratnojjvala-vigrahaya, sarddula-carmasuka-divya-tejase

sahasra-patropari sasthitaya, varangadamukta-bhuja-dvayaya 16

naga-isa - the king of snakes; ratna - gems; ujjvala - luminous; vigrahaya - to you whose form; sardula-carma - skins of tigers; asuka - garments; divya-tejase - to you of divine potency; sahasra-patra-upari - upon a thousand-petalled lotus; sasthitaya - to you who stand; vara-angada - with beautiful bangles; amukta - dressed; bhuja-dvayaya - to you whose two arms are such.

"I offer my obeisances to you, whose form is brilliantly illuminated by the jewels of Ananta-deva, the king of snakes, who possess divine potencies and are clothed in a tiger-skin, who stands in the midst of a thousand-petalled lotus, and whose two arms are adorned by lustrous bangles.

su-nupuraranjita-pada-padma-karat-sudha-bhtya-sukha-pradaya

vicitra-ratnaugha-vibhuitaya, premanam evadya harau vidhehi 17

su-nupura - fine anklebells; aranjita - reddish; pada-padma - lotus feet; karat - flowing; sudha - nectar; bhtya - to your servants; sukha-pradaya - to you who give joy; vicitra - wonderful; ratna-ogha - a multitude of jewels; vibhuitaya - to you who are adorned; premanam - love; eva - certainly; adya - today; harau - for Hari; vidhehi - You should endow.

"I offer my obeisances to you who bestow happiness to your servitors as you pour upon them the liquid nectar flowing from your reddish lotus feet, upon which charming anklebells ring. Obeisances unto you who are adorned by an abundance of gems. Please endow Me today with pure love for Sri Hari.

sri-rama govinda mukunda saure, sri-kna narayana vasudeva

ity adi-namamta-pana-matta-bhngadhipayakhila-duhkha-hantre 18

sri-rama - O splendid reservoir of pleasure!; govinda - O awarder of delight to the cows, the senses and the land!; mukunda - O giver of liberation!; saure - O hero!; sri-kna - O all-attractive!; nara-ayana - O shelter of mankind!; vasudeva - O all-pervading Lord, son of Vasudeva!; iti - thus; adi - headed by; nama-amta - nectarean names; pana - drinking; matta - intoxicated; bhnga - bee; adhipaya - unto the monarch; akhila - all; duhkha-hantre - unto the slayer of grief.

"`O Sri Rama! O Govinda! O Mukunda! O Sauri! O Sri Krishna! O Narayana! O Vasudeva!' I offer my obeisances unto you, Sri Siva, who are the monarch ruling over all the bee-like devotees who are mad to drink the nectar of these and other innumerable names of Hari, and who thus destroys all grief.

sri-naradadyaih satata sugopya-jijnasitayasu vara-pradaya

tebhyo harer bhakti-sukha-pradaya, sivaya sarvva-gurave namah 19

sri-narada-adyaih - by those headed by Narada Muni; satatam - always; su-gopya - very confidential; jijnasitaya - to you who are inquired of; asu - easily; vara-pradaya - to you who give boons; tebhya - to them; hare - of Lord Hari; bhakti-sukha-pradaya - to you who give the joy of devotional service; sivaya - to the auspicious; sarva-gurave - to the guru of all; namah - obeisances.

"I offer my respectful obeisances to you, Sri Siva, who are forever inquired of confidentially by Sri Narada and other great sages, who very easily bestow boons on them, who bestow the happiness of Hari-bhakti to those who seek boons of you, who thereby create auspiciousness and are thus the guru of everyone.

sri-gauri-netrotsava-mangalaya, tat-prana-nathaya rasa-pradaya

sada samutkantha-govinda-lila-gana-pravinaya namo 'stu tubhyam 20

sri-gauri-netra - for the eyes of Sri Gauri; utsava-mangalaya - to you who are an auspicious festival; tat-prana-nathaya - to the lord of Gauri's life breath; rasa-pradaya - to the giver of rasa; sada - always; samutkantha - with great longing; govinda-lila - of the pastimes of Govinda; gana-pravinaya - to the expert singer; nama - obeisances; astu - let there be; tubhyam - to you.

"I offer my obeisances to you who are a festival of auspiciousness for the eyes of Gauri, who are the lord of her life-energy, who bestow rasa and are expert in forever singing songs with eagerness of the pastimes of Govinda."

----------

Lord Shiva's Prasadam should be honored if Shiva is worshiped as a great Vaishnava devotee and guna-avatara of Lord Gauranga-Krishna but should be rejected when Shiva is worshiped as a demigod or separate from Lord Vishnu or in the mode of ignorance or by a non-Vaishnava.

Shri Chaitanya Charita Mahakavya of Shrila Murari Gupta

Ninth Sarga

sri-siva-nirmalya-bhojana-vyavasthanam

Lord Gauranga Hari Honors the Food Remnants of Sri Siva

snatva sa bindu-sarasi / dtva sri-bhuvanesvaram

sukham asino bhagavan / premananda-pariplutah 1

snatva - after bathing; sa - He; bindu-sarasi - in the lake of drops; dtva - and seeing; bhuvana-isvaram - the Lord of the worlds; sukham - happily; asina - seated; bhagavan - the all-opulent Lord; prema-ananda - in the bliss of Krishna-love; pariplutah - totally immersed.

After bathing in Bindu-Sarovara and taking darsana of Sri Bhuvanesvara, the all-opulent Lord Sri Kna Caitanya sat contentedly, wholly immersed in the bliss of prema.

tato bhuktva varanna sa / bhaktaih sankalpita prabhuh

susvapa tatra sahto / dhyayan kna-padambujam 2

tata - then; bhuktva - eating; vara-annam - fine foods; sa - He; bhaktaih - by the devotees; sankalpitam - prepared; prabhuh - the Master; susvapa - nicely rested; tatra - there; sahta - fully contented; dhyayan - contemplating; kna-pada-ambujam - Krishna's lotus feet.

Mahaprabhu then ate choice foods prepared by the bhaktas, and afterwards as He rested contentedly, He contemplated the lotus feet of Sri Krishna.

cintayam asa bhagavan / deva-devasya sulinah

maha-prasado labhyeta / tada bhujyamahe vayam 3

cintayam asa - He thought; bhagavan - the all-opulent; deva-devasya - of the god of gods; sulinah - who carries a trident; maha-prasada - great mercy (foods tasted by the Lord) labhyeta - it may be obtained; tada - then; bhujyamahe - we could enjoy; vayam - we.

The illustrious Lord thought, "If somehow the maha-prasada of the trident-wielding god of gods could be obtained, then we could truly take pleasure."

iti cintayatas tasya / mahadeva-prasadakam

panibhya brahmanah kascid / adaya sammukhe sthitah 4

iti - thus; cintayata - thinking; tasya - His; mahadeva-prasadakam - a small portion of the foods eaten by Siva; panibhyam - with his hands; brahmanah - one who knows what is spirit; kascit - a certain; adaya - presenting; sammukhe - in front; sthitah - standing.

As He was reflecting thus, a certain brahmana came before Him, bearing in his hands a small portion of Mahadeva's prasada.

uvaca ca mahadeva-prasada ghyatam iti

tat srutva sahasotthaya / ghitva sirasa namah 5

uvaca - he said; ca - and; mahadeva-prasadam - the mercy of the great Lord; ghyatam - take; iti - thus; tat - that; srutva - hearing; sahasa - at once; utthaya - rising; ghitva - took; sirasa - with the head; namah - bowing.

He said, "Please accept this prasada of Mahadeva." Hearing this, Lord Gaura at once stood up and accepted the prasada with bowed head.

maha-prasada sanghya / papau bhtyaih sudham iva

siva-priyo hi sri-kna / iti sandarsayan harih 6

maha-prasadam - great mercy; sanghya - taking; papau - He honored; bhtyaih - with His servants; sudham - nectar; iva - like; siva-priya - He who holds dear Lord Siva; hi - indeed; sri-kna - the all-attractive; iti - thus; sandarsayan - clearly demonstrated; harih - Gaura Hari.

They all gathered together around the maha-prasada, and the Lord honored it with His servants as though it were immortal nectar. Thus Gaura Hari showed how dear Siva is to Sri Krishna.

sukhaya punar evasau / pratar utthaya sa-tvarah

snatva vai bindu-sarasi / siva natva yayau harih 7

sukhaya - happily; puna - again; eva - indeed; asau - He; prata - early; utthaya - rising; sa-tvarah - quickly; snatva - bathing; vai - indeed; bindu-sarasi - in the lake of drops; sivam - Siva; natva - bowing to; yayau - He went; harih - the remover of sin.

Again Gaura Hari arose very early in grat happiness, and after bathing quickly in Bindu-Sarovara, He bowed before Sri Siva and then left on His way.

etan nisamya devasya / siva-nirmmalya-bhakanam

pratyuvaca maha-tejah / sri-damodara-panditah 8

etat - this; nisamya - hearing; devasya - of the Lord; siva-nirmalya - the remnants of Siva's food; bhakanam - eating; pratyuvaca - he responded; maha-tejah - very powerful; sri-damodara-panditah - the devoted scholar.

When the powerful brahmana Sri Damodara Panita heard that the Lord had eaten the remnants of Siva's food, He said:

nasnati siva-devasya / nirmmalya bhgu-sapatah

katha jnatva sa bhagavan / bubhuje tan narottamah 9

na - not; asnati - he eats; siva-devasya - of Lord Siva; nirmalyam - food remnants; bhgu-sapatah - because of the curse of Bhrigu Muni; katham - how; jnatva - knowing; sa - He; bhagavan - the illustrious Lord; bubhuje - He ate; tat - that; nara-uttamah - the transcendental person.

"One should not eat the remnants of Lord Siva because Bhrigu Muni has placed a curse on those who worship him. Why then did the all-opulent transcendental Lord, knowing this, eat that food?"

tat srutva praha viprendra / murarih sruyatam iti

katha sri-siva-devasya / nirmmalyamta-bhakane 10

tat - that; srutva - hearing; praha - he said; vipra-indram - exalted brahmana; murarih - Murari Gupta; sruyatam - please hear; iti - thus; katham - the explanation; sri-siva-devasya - of Lord Siva; nirmalya - food-remnants; amta-bhakane - in eating the nectar.

Hearing this, Murari replied to the noble vipra, "Hear from me the reason for which the Lord ate those nectarean remnants of Sri Siva-deva."

vastutas tu mahadevah / sri-knasya subhagame

atithya vidadhe harat / tena kinca para snu 11

vastuta - factually; tu - indeed; mahadevah - the great lord; sri-knasya - of Sri Krishna; subha-agame - at the auspicious coming; atithyam - guesthood; vidadhe - he accepted; harat - out of joy; tena - of that; kinca - somewhat; param - further; snu - please hear.

When Sri Krishna Caitanya made His auspicious arrival, Mahadeva joyously accepted Him as an honored guest. Please hear somewhat further.

vainava-sretha-buddhya ye / pujayanti mahesvaram

tair ddatta ghnate so 'pi / tad anna pavana mahat 12

vainava-sretha - the best devotee of Vishnu; buddhya - with the consciousness; ye - they; pujayanti - they worship; maha-isvaram - the great controller; tai - by them; dattam - given; ghnate - he takes; sa api - that very person; tat annam - that food; pavanam - purifing; mahat - great.

When bhaktas worship Mahadeva thinking of him as the best among vaishnavas, Mahsvara accepts that offering from them, and that food should be considered great and pure prasada.

sri-kna-kna-bhaktana / bheda-buddhya patanty adhah

durvvairan sikayas tas ca / bhakta-rupah svaya harih 13

sri-kna-kna-bhaktanam - of Krishna and Krishna's devotees; bheda - of differentiation; buddhya - with a mentality; patanti - they fall; adhah - down; durvairan - inimical persons; sikayan - teaching; tan - them; ca - and; bhakta-rupah - in the form of a devotee; svayam - in person; harih - the remover of sin.

Those who in a sectarian spirit differentiate between Sri Krishna and his bhaktas indeed fall down. Sri Hari personally advented in the form of a bhakta as Caitanya Mahaprabhu in order to instruct such inimical persons.

acaryyaty api deveso / hita-kt sarvva-dehinam

nirmmalyam adarenaiva / ghitva jagad-isvarah 14

acaryati - He behaves; api - indeed; deva-isa - the Lord of godly beings; hita-kt - enacting welfare; sarva-dehinam - for all embodied beings; nirmalyam - food-remnants; adarena - with reverence; eva - verily; ghitva - taking; jagat-isvarah - the Lord of the cosmos.

The Lord of all gods, who is the supreme controller of the cosmic manifestation, certainly seeks to benefit all embodied beings. Thus, by His reverential acceptance of Sri Siva's food-remnants, He teaches them by His example.

janaih sasthapite linge / bheda-buddhya ca pujite

tatraiva sapo viprasya / nahi syad aikyatah kvacit 15

janaih - by the people; sasthapite - established; linge - the sacred phallus; bheda-buddhya - with a mentality of differentiation; ca - and; pujite - worshipped; tatra - then; eva - certainly; sapa - the curse; viprasya - of the learned brahmana; nahi - certainly not; syat - it can be; aikyatah - in oneness; kvacit - sometimes.

Wherever the lingam is established and worshipped with a conception that Sri Siva and Sri Hari have separate parties, there Bhgu's curse will act, because of this offense of a dualistic concept.

hari-sankarayor aikya / svayambhu-linga-sannidhau

abheda-buddhya pujaya / nahi sapo bhavet kvacit 16

hari-sankarayo - of Hari and Sankara; aikyam - oneness; svayambhu - self-born; linga - form; sannidhau - in the place; abheda - of not differentiating; buddhya - because of the mentality; pujayam - in the worship; nahi - there is not; sapa - the curse; bhavet - can be; kvacit - at all.

Hari and Sankara have one interest. If in the presence of a Siva lingam someone worships Them without a dualistic concept, the curse will not have effect.

tena tatradhika pritir / hari-sankarayor bhavet

abhede 'tra svayambhau ca / puja sarvvatisayini 17

tena - for that reason; tatra - there; adhika - more; priti - love; hari-sankarayo - of Hari and Sankara; bhavet - it may be; abhede - in non-differentiation; atra - here; svayambhau - for Lord Siva; ca - and; puja - worship; sarva - all; atisayini - increasing.

By people understand Their unity of interest, love will increase for both Hari and Sankara, and worship for Them both will increase.

maha-prasada tatraiva / bhuktva mokam avapnuyat

maha-rogat pramucyeta / sthira-sampattim apnuyat 18

maha-prasadam - great mercy; tatra - there; eva - certainly; bhuktva - having enjoyed; mokam - liberation; avapnuyat - one may attain; maha-rogat - from great disease; pramucyeta - one is liberated; sthira-sampattim - undisturbed prosperity; apnuyat - one can get.

By tasting such maha-prasada one can attain liberation, be cured from terrible diseases, and obtain undisturbed prosperity.

ye mohat tan na khadanti / te bhavanty aparadhinah

harau sive ca nihsrika / roginas ca bhavanti te 19

ye - they; mohat - out of delusion; tat - that; na - not; khadanti - they eat; te - they; bhavanti - become; aparadhinah - offenders; harau - to Hari; sive - to Siva; ca - and; nihsrika - devoid of opulence; rogina - diseased; ca - and; bhavanti - they become; te - they.

Those who out of delusion do not eat such maha-prasada become offenders to both Hari and Siva. They become diseased and bereft of opulence.

vainavaih pujito yatra / sri-sivah paramadarat

anadi-lingam asadya / sri-kna-priti-hetave 20

tatraiva sasayo nasti / nirmmalya-grahane kvacit

bhaktir eva sada vipra / subha-da sarvva-dehinam 21

vainavaih - by vaishnavas; pujita - worshipped; yatra - where; sri-sivah - of the auspicious lord; parama-adarat - with great reverence; anadi-lingam - the beginningless form; asadya - to be attained; sri-kna-priti - love for Sri Krishna; hetave - in order; tatra - in this matter; eva - surely; sasaya - doubt; na asti - there is not; nirmalya-grahane - in accepting the remnants of Siva; kvacit - at any time; bhakti - devotion; eva - indeed; sada - always; vipra - O learned brahmana; subha-da - giving auspiciousness; sarva-dehinam - for all embodied beings.

Wherever the beginningless lingam of Sri Siva is worshipped with great respect by vaishnavas in order to develop love for Sri Krishna, there will be no doubt about accepting the remnants of Sri Siva's food. O vipra, such devotional service is verily auspicious for all embodied beings.

Thus ends the Ninth Sarga entitled "Lord Gauranga Hari Honors the Food Remnants of Sri Siva," in the Third Prakrama of the great poem Sri Caitanya Carita.

----------

Lord Gauranga dances in the mood of Shri Shiva

Text 95

No one can understand these inconceivable ecstatic moods of Loed Gauranga Maharpabhu. Everything that He revealed was wonderful and unprecedented.

Text 96

One day a singer of Lord Siva's glories came. Playing a dambura drum, he sang about Lord Siva.

Text 97

Arriving at the Lord's house to beg alms, he sang about Lord Siva and danced.

Text 98

Hearing about Lord Siva's glories, Lord Gauranga at once manifested the form of Lord Siva, a form with splendid matted hair.

Text 99

With one jump he came on the singer's shoulders. He screamed, "I am Siva!"

Text 100

The people watched as matted-hair Lord Gauranga played the drum and horn and said again and again, "Sing! Sing!"

Text 101

That day the great-soul attained the full benefit of singing Lord Siva's glories.

Text 102

Because he sang without offense, Lord Gauranga climbed on his shoulders.

Text 103

Returning to external consciousness, Lord Gauranga climbed down from the singer's shoulders. In the singer's cloth bag the Lord placed some alms.

Text 104

His life now a perfect success, the singer departed. The auspicious sound of "Hari!" then rose from everyone.

Guest guest

Lord Siva meditating on Lord Sankarshan

I have interesting pics where lord Krishna sitting at the feet of Lord Shiva worshipping him and Lord Rama worshipping Lord Shiva, performing Shadshopachar pooja on teh Shivalingam. :)

I have interesting pics where lord Krishna sitting at the feet of Lord Shiva worshipping him and Lord Rama worshipping Lord Shiva, performing Shadshopachar pooja on teh Shivalingam. :)quote by yK

Please post them yK. My tiny self cannot conceive of the wonder and greatness of God. A great mystery.

Below is a picture of Sri Harihara.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harihara

350px-HariHara07.jpg

Sri Harihara pictured above resides at Harihara-ksetra, Godrumadvipa, Navadvipa dhama. A special holy place for Gaudiya Vaisnava's.

I have heard that both Vaishnavites and Shaivites can be found worshipping the Lord in this temple. Which says something in itself.

Below is a little copy and paste from a Gaudiya Vaisnava perspective of this Holy Place. I would be interested to also read of a Shaivites perspective of this Deity form and Holy Place.

From Shri Navadwipa-dhama by Shrila BV Narayana Maharaja

Harihara-kshetra

Harihara-kshetra is also called Mahaa-Vaaraanasi. It is situated on

the bank of the Gandaki River on the eastern side of the river

Alakaanandaa. Here in an ancient temple, Shri Hari and Shri Hara

(Vishnu and Shiva) are manifest in one and the same deity. The

best of the Vaishnavas, Shri Shambhu (Shiva), and vaishnavi-shakti Shri

Gauri eternally reside here chanting the name of Gaura.

Residence in this place is superior to residence in Kaashi and

Kailaasha. When a living entity dies here Shambhu chants Shri

Gaura’s name in his ear and thus delivers him from this material

world.

Shri Mahaadeva, or Shri Shambhu, is actually Sadaa-Shiva. This

means he is vishnu-tattva, a primary expansion of the Supreme

Lord. There is no difference between Sadaa-Shiva and Vishnu.

Accepting a portion of the mode of ignorance, Sadaa-Shiva

destroys this material world and fulfils the desires of the jivas.

He bewilders those who are unfavourable to Krishna, and he

grants devotion to Krishna and protects those who are favourable.

He worships Krishna in his abode of Kaashi or Kailaasha. As the

foremost of Vaishnavas he is very dear to Shri Hari and is nondifferent

from Him.

Persons like Raavana, Kumbhakarna, Meghanaada, Kamsa,

Jaraasandha and Bhaumaasura, are envious of Shri Hari and only

worship Shankara. They are called demons and Shri Hari kills

them. Shrimad-Bhaagavatam describes how Pundarika Vaasudeva

and his friend, the king of Kaashi, opposed Shri Krishna. Krishna killed

the coward Pundarika Vaasudeva and chopped off the king’s

head, throwing it at the gate of Kaashi. At this, his son prepared to

attack Shri Krishna, but before he could do so Krishna burned the

entire city of Kaashi to ashes with the heat coming from His

Sudarshana cakra. Shankara left Kaashi with his associates and took

shelter of Harihara-kshetra.

The real nature of Lord Shiva is very mysterious. When Shri

Raamacandra established Raameshvara, a deity of Shiva, everyone

present acknowledged Raameshvara to mean raamasya ishvarah, or

“Shiva is the lord (ishvara) of Raama.” The demigods opposed this

and through the compound raamashca asau ishvarah they derived

another meaning: “Raama and Shankara are both the Lord

(ishvara).” These explanations distressed Shankara, who personally

spoke from the shiva-linga: “Neither explanation is

correct. Through the grammatical compound raamah yasya

ishvarah sa raameshvarah the meaning of Raameshvara becomes:

‘Raameshvara is he whose Lord is Raama.’” Thus, Shri Krishna is

established as the sole Lord of all lords, and Shankara as His

precious servant.1

In the narration of Ishaa’s marriage in Shrimad-Bhaagavatam a

fight is described between Baanaasura and Shri Krishna. Shankara

sided with Baanaasura, who was defeated by Krishna. Shankara

prayed to Krishna to spare Baanaasura’s life, and as a result Krishna

cut off all but four of Baanaasura’s thousand arms, and made him

an associate of Shankara.

Vaishnavas acknowledge Lord Shankara as dear to the Supreme

Lord and the spiritual master of the Vaishnavas, and therefore

they respect and honour him. Shankara is kshetrapaala, the

protector of all of Bhagavaan’s holy abodes. In Vrindaavana, where

he accepts the mood of a gopi, he is famous as Shri Gopishvara.

He bestows krishna-prema upon qualified living entities, and

thus gives them entrance into Vrindaavana. Shrimad-Bhaagavatam

also accepts Shankara as the best of Vaishnavas, vaishnavaanaam

yathaa shambhuh. Even if the Lord gives him unpleasant instructions,

Shankara is forever attentive to carry them out. When the

ocean of milk had been churned, Shankara, understanding

Vishnu’s desire, drank the poison the churning had produced and

thus protected the universe. Shankara also understood the desire

of his Lord and Master, Shri Krishna, that he come as Shri

Shankaraacaarya to propagate impersonalism, which is opposed to

the principles of the Vedas. By doing this he obscured pure

devotion and knowledge of the essential reality of the Supreme

Personality, subdued the atheistic Buddhists, and destroyed the

impersonal karma-kaanda [the division of the Vedas that deals

with fruitive activities]. By always observing Bhagavaan’s desire,

Shankara serves the Lord’s innermost desire.

He is beautiful isn't he Jai. I first saw Sri Harihara on a video made by Gurumaharaja. He was on parikrama with disciples in Navadwipa dhama, and visited Harihara-kshetra. I tried to post the link to the video here, but unfortunately the link was down. The first time I saw him I thought wow...this is amazing. Oneday I hope to be able to visit the Holy Dhama.

Thanks for sharing about your family in a previous post. You are so fortunate to have Vaisnava/Shaivite background. I am sure you have learned much from them and gleaned a great foundation for your own balanced personal spirituality.

Also I browse the net a bit and visit this forum most days. So I clicked the links to your new book. I read the segment of it that you have posted. It is a real sweet story from what I have read. I do not know much about Mirabai and her mood and sentiments to God. I must read about her sometime. Blessings.

Wow, Bija, thanks for the blessings! It's always so nice to know a Vaishnav is pleased with my efforts. Mirabai was a most exalted devotee and I highly recommend that you learn more about her. She was in full Gopi Bhava.

I was very happy yesterday as one of my readers sent me a message to say that she finished reading the book and was in love with Mira. She said that she studied Hinduism in university but now she wants to learn more about it and about Krishna. How cool is that?

I am very lucky to have the family background I do. Both of my parents taught me the importance of having a balanced perspective and gave me the freedom to choose my own Ishta, who is Krishna. Shiva is very special to me and I've had the wonderful opportunity to visit some of his jyotirlinga dhamas - Somnath, Kedarnath, Omkareshwara and Mahakaleshwar. Did you know that the Nageswara Jyotirlinga is just outside of Dwarka? It's beautiful.

I'm adding Harihara-Kshetra to my list of dhams to visit! Shri Harihara willing, I will be blessed with the oppotunity.

Haribol!

Jai

She said that she studied Hinduism in university but now she wants to learn more about it and about Krishna. How cool is that? quote by Jai

Jai...that is way beyond the extremes of cool. And, I will do some research into the life of Mirabai... It is kind of contagious this talk about spiritual love (bhava). There is such a treasure hidden away in this vedic culture. People like me are fortunate in that, at some point in our lives somebody gave us a Hare Krsna book to read.

I had no idea years ago, what doors that book would open. Hidden Treasure.

Jai...that is way beyond the extremes of cool. And, I will do some research into the life of Mirabai... It is kind of contagious this talk about spiritual love (bhava). There is such a treasure hidden away in this vedic culture. People like me are fortunate in that, at some point in our lives somebody gave us a Hare Krsna book to read.

I had no idea years ago, what doors that book would open. Hidden Treasure.

She's the second one of my readers to tell me that. That's the amazing thing about books, isn't it? They can open whole worlds for us, they can even open the spiritual world.

I was so lucky to be able to read certain books and learn from them. I first read the Bhagavat Gita when I was twelve years old and could barely understand it. I'm so fallen, I still can't understand it. Mostly I just love to read "Shri Bhagavan Uvaca".

Jai

I first read the Bhagavat Gita when I was twelve years old and could barely understand it. I'm so fallen, I still can't understand it. Mostly I just love to read "Shri Bhagavan Uvaca". quote by Jai

I first sat down to read Bhagavad Gita in my late twenties, and could not understand it! In Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami's commentaries he frequently used the term, "devotional service". I can remember at the time

wondering to myself, what is this devotional service, how do you do this? Now after some years (and the mercy of some saintly people) I am beginning to barely touch the edge of what this term really means. An unlimited ocean I am sure.

I also like reading Sri Bhagavan's words. And yes, books are great...I feel grateful that I was taught to enjoy reading as a child. It is such a blessing for today, in regards to spiritual reading and discovery.

Guest guest

I opened this interesting thread to know the truth. The initial question is diverted to discuss KC. Is anybody really knows the correct answer please answer precisely.

In my opinion, saying shiva as tamasi and saying that living entities reaching shiva and then to vishnu is absolutely incorrect.WHAT IS THE NEED TO REACH VISHNU WHEN ONE ATTAIN LORD SHIVA???????.This means that vishnu is greater to shiva which is absolutely incorrect. For me , all three gunas including tamas is a illusion of maya.Worshipping shiva involve lot of sattvic qualities.