IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Bg 2.41

Rate this topic

TRANSLATION

Those who are on this path are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus, the intelligence of those who are irresolute is many-branched.

PURPORT

A strong faith that by Krishna consciousness one will be elevated to the highest perfection of life is called vyavasayatmika intelligence. The Caitanya-caritamrita (Madhya 22.62) states:

'sraddha'-sabde -- visvasa kahe sudridha niscaya

krishne bhakti kaile sarva-karma krita haya

Faith means unflinching trust in something sublime. When one is engaged in the duties of Krishna consciousness, he need not act in relationship to the material world with obligations to family traditions, humanity, or nationality. Fruitive activities are the engagements of one's reactions from past good or bad deeds. When one is awake in Krishna consciousness, he need no longer endeavor for good results in his activities. When one is situated in Krishna consciousness, all activities are on the absolute plane, for they are no longer subject to dualities like good and bad. The highest perfection of Krishna consciousness is renunciation of the material conception of life. This state is automatically achieved by progressive Krishna consciousness.

The resolute purpose of a person in Krishna consciousness is based on knowledge. Vasudevah sarvam iti sa mahatma su-durlabhah: a person in Krishna consciousness is the rare good soul who knows perfectly that Vasudeva, or Krishna, is the root of all manifested causes. As by watering the root of a tree one automatically distributes water to the leaves and branches, so by acting in Krishna consciousness one can render the highest service to everyone -- namely self, family, society, country, humanity, etc. If Krishna is satisfied by one's actions, then everyone will be satisfied.

Service in Krishna consciousness is, however, best practiced under the able guidance of a spiritual master who is a bona fide representative of Krishna, who knows the nature of the student and who can guide him to act in Krishna consciousness. As such, to be well versed in Krishna consciousness one has to act firmly and obey the representative of Krishna, and one should accept the instruction of the bona fide spiritual master as one's mission in life. Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura instructs us, in his famous prayers for the spiritual master, as follows:

yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasado

yasyaprasadan na gatih kuto 'pi

dhyayan stuvams tasya yasas tri-sandhyam

vande guroh sri-caranaravindam **

"By satisfaction of the spiritual master, the Supreme Personality of Godhead becomes satisfied. And by not satisfying the spiritual master, there is no chance of being promoted to the plane of Krishna consciousness. I should, therefore, meditate and pray for his mercy three times a day, and offer my respectful obeisances unto him, my spiritual master."

The whole process, however, depends on perfect knowledge of the soul beyond the conception of the body -- not theoretically but practically, when there is no longer a chance for sense gratification manifested in fruitive activities. One who is not firmly fixed in mind is diverted by various types of fruitive acts.

The whole process, however, depends on perfect knowledge of the soul beyond the conception of the body -- not theoretically but practically,...

I have noticed in myself a false sense of security that can come as I gain theoretorical knowledge of the self. I tend to think that is what is meant by "knowing" thyself. But of course it is not.

Theoretical knowledge has it's place in self realization obviously. The intellectual plane is said to be right next to the self proper however it is not actually the transcendental plane. There is no satisfaction or safety in trying to remain on these levels of shadow knowledge.

Even this observation is only more theoretical talk unless I act upon it. So why don't I? I find myself in fear of not only surrendering to Krsna but I am even afraid of my self... my true self.

Why do some of us fear self realization do you think?

Why do some of us fear self realization do you think?

Fear of the unknown possibly? There are times when people will not leave a bad situation no matter how much they suffer. Why is that? Because it is familiar and they know what will happen. It is actually perversely comfortable to them. To make change is unknown and therefore, fearful.

As a sidenote: Bhagavad-gita; 2.41 is a very important verse to the fallen souls of the western world.

Srila Prabhupada mentions somewhere (can't remember where) that it was when he read this verse back in the 1950's that his resolve to follow Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura's order to preach Krishna Consciousness in English. It was when he read Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's commentary on this verse and was so struck by it that he knew that he had to do this.

Familarity. I think you are right. It's crazy to promote one thing as the perfection of life and yet be reluctant to do it yourself. But then I never claimed to be sane. ;-)

I had never heard about Srila Prabhupada and this verse before. Thanks for that.

BG 2.42-43: Men of small knowledge are very much attached to the flowery words of the Vedas, which recommend various fruitive activities for elevation to heavenly planets, resultant good birth, power, and so forth. Being desirous of sense gratification and opulent life, they say that there is nothing more than this.

BG 2.44: In the minds of those who are too attached to sense enjoyment and material opulence, and who are bewildered by such things, the resolute determination for devotional service to the Supreme Lord does not take place.

Here we learn the cause of fractured intelligence. We are still bewildered by this cosmic phantasmagoria and are yet convinced that happiness still may be found in one or another of maya's offering to us. Holding out hope that happiness can be found in this forest of bewilderment if we just each in the right place.

Yet we chant and try to understand the futility of desiring heaven even as most of us quietly desire it. Are we slowly gaining knowledge or just hedging our bets? Maybe a bit of both 'eh.

[...] Why do some of us fear self realization do you think?
Attachment.

It is easier to thread a camel though the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.

We're just too busy eating the fruit of the tree.