IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Hare Krishna Movement Nigeria

Rate this topic

rosiji.jpg

Bolaji Rosiji, a leader of "Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria", PMAN, and the leader of the Hare Krishna Movement in Nigeria states that he would have preferred an option of forgiveness for King.

<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>‘Murder is bad, to die by hanging is crude’</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=19><TABLE cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By Chioma Gabriel, Assistant Editor

Posted to the Web: Saturday, January 13, 2007

REACTIONS have continued to trail the death sentence by hanging passed on Rev. King, a Lagos-based founder of Christian Praying Assembly who had been facing trial for murder and attempted murder of some of his church members.

Venerable Oluranti Odubogun, the secretary-general of Church of Nigeria in his reaction says that the embattled man of God still has an option to appeal at a higher court.

“But we are not going to lose sight of the biblical injunction that we should not commit murder. If King is found guilty of murder, then he should face the consequence. The provisions of the law does not respect anybody even if he is a reverend. He should have behaved in accordance with the injunctions of the scripture and obey the laws of the land. The sentence has to take its course and if he appeals, he may get a life sentence which is milder”.

Bolaji Rosiji, a leader of Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria, PMAN, and the leader of the Hare Krishna Movement in Nigeria states that he would have preferred an option of forgiveness for King.

“Forgiveness or a milder form of punishment would have been preferable. We know that people should be punished according to the gravity of the offence but we believe that the grace of God can also intervene and the offender can get a lighter punishment.

“It is up to him to appeal the sentence but I believe he has touched some people’s lives positively in his call as a pastor. My own view is more of leniency even thought punishment should be meted out if he is guilty”.

Chief Livy Uzougwu (SAN) opines that death penalty either by hanging or cutting off of head is becoming obsolete. “It is becoming obsolete and some civilized countries even in Africa like South-Africa, Namibia and others have phased it out. Again, the United Nations has been saying that death penalty should not be retained in the laws of the nations. Nations are enjoined to give up death penalties and Nigeria is yet to accede to that.

“I think we should do same because death by hanging is very crude and uncivilized. Even United States is about the only country in the civilized world where death penalty is still obtainable but it is not carried out through hanging but through milder ways so the person doesn’t feel the pain. “So, I can say without any fear of contradiction that death penalty is very crude, and uncivilized and it’s high time Nigeria joined other civilized countries to phase it out. And I mean death penalty generally.”

Ebun Adegboruwa, a human rights lawyer also condemned death by hanging, saying that “it is crude and should be phased out. I think other forms of punishment should come into consideration. Murder is bad and offenders should be punished. But death penalty is a very crude way of doing it”.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This ISKCON leader is confused - CONFIRMED murderers are supposed to be hanged (or whatever) [do you know why it is the state's duty to perform this function?] - the Veda says so - Prabhupada says so and - so does the Bible. It is made worse in that he killed people - who trusted and followed him - he deserves to hang - if guilty.