IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Are Games ok?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Practically look at the word of the genre you enjoy "Role Playing". It's like a whole new level of Maya.

I can speak from personal experience that playing videogames is totally bogus. You'll think about the game when you're not playing it, you'll indulge yourself when you're playing it. When will you be thinking of Krishna? What is the point of Krishna Consciousness when your always in game consciousness?

If you're new, then it's best not to go cold turkey, rather regulate yourself to nothing. Krishna Consciousness, association with the devotees, and service, is much more exciting than videogames. I used to own 500+ videogames, and play them all the time. Now I have sold up and don't even own a TV set. I practice to my ability and am much happier. You can be too :)

Guest guest

Why would you need to give it up? "Whatever you do, do for Me."

You like to do something then this is your God-given ability. It's a nice ability not like you are an arms dealer or a blackjack dealer.

Prabhupada had an admirer Peter Burwash. Prabhupada told him just keep on doing whatever you were doing before. Peter Burwash was a professional tennis player. So did he stop playing tennis? No. He started a worldwide tennis schools at all of the major resorts all around the world. And he wrote some books about veg diet. So he just kept on doing what God gave him the ability to do and added his interest in spirituality to it.

ACBSP also had an admirer George Harrison. George kept on racing cars for his hobby and being a musician as well as executive producer of films including one which parodied religious fanatics "The Life Of Brian". He financed the comedy troupe Monty Python [omigod!!! role-playing comedians!!! oh surely all are bound for hell now] to make this film.

Back in the day that is all you would have needed to do to be burned at the stake by the Holy Roman Catholic Church: the sin of heresy or religious socio-political comedy. But all anyone ever says about GH is what a great devotee he was, including Prabhupada who said, "He is MORE than my disciple."

So just do whatever you enjoy doing. You will learn a new skill by practicing it. Like a friend of mine: first "the devotees" told him it was maya and nonsense to get educated. Then they told him it was maya and nonsense to

be educated past grade school with the oppposite sex. Then they said it was maya and nonsense to work for the karmis.

Then after he spent years and years getting his degrees and then more years becoming a professional. Now the very same "devotees" have begged him to do what he is now professionally certified to do for the Temple, and offered to pay him a salary, with all perks like a private cottage and all meals free.

So if he listened to "the devotees" he would still a miserable and unhappy common serf. But by pursuing what he was interested in, he developed some assets and some cachet, which made him totally alluring and interesting as a valuable asset to "the devotees", by doing precisely what they told him not to do in the first place because it was "maya" and "nonsense".

So role-play your way to Superstardom and offer it to the Divine!

Guest guest

Yes, but Prabhupada could also see the level of commitment that these people were willing to give.

Prabhupada was big on dovetailing. So is Krishna, as you said, "Whatever you do, do for Me." So he encouraged these people to continue working, but work for Krishna, not work for themselves. How does one work for Krishna? Karma-yoga, he gives the results of his work to Krishna.

How to you plan to give the results of leisure game playing to Krishna?

Obviously the devotees mentioned were out of line. But I can speak from experience - I played a lot of games, and it doesn't help you with Krishna Consciousness.

If you want to be serious, I recommend otherwise. If you just want to be a fringe devotee, then continue as you are. Do whatever.

A final comment - I'm actually a professional game tester. I work all day in an office, with envious karmi's. I know what the real world is.

And no, I didn't land this job because I played games.

Guest guest

August 27th, 1975, Morning Walk.

French devotee (2): They go to cinema because they have no adventures in their life. So they go to cinema. If they become Krishna conscious, so they don’t need to go to cinema.

Prabhupäda: Krishna conscious is not so cheap. Have you come to Krishna consciousness? Don’t take Krishna consciousness so cheap that they will go to cinema and become Krishna conscious.

Brahmänanda: No, he says that if they become Krishna conscious, then they will stop going to the cinema.

Prabhupäda: Yes. That is the test. (aside: )Hare Krishna. Jaya. This is the test. Bhaktiù pareçänubhavo viraktir anyatra [sB 11.2.42]. Advancement of Krishna consciousness means he’s no more interested with anything material. That is Krishna conscious. There is a Bengali proverb, ami dugdha khaya eta mako khaya: “The children, they take milk, and adults, they smoke.” So one is speaking that “I take milk and smoke also.”

Brahmänanda: He thinks he’s all right. “I’m okay.”

Prabhupäda: Yes. “I go to temple and I do all nonsense also.” Hare Krishna. We shall go directly temple?

Brahmänanda: Yes. (end)

Guest guest

Why would you need to give it up? "Whatever you do, do for Me."

Prabhupada had an admirer Peter Burwash. Prabhupada told him just keep on doing whatever you were doing before. Peter Burwash was a professional tennis player. So did he stop playing tennis? No. He started a worldwide tennis schools at all of the major resorts all around the world. And he wrote some books about veg diet. So he just kept on doing what God gave him the ability to do and added his interest in spirituality to it.

ACBSP also had an admirer George Harrison. George kept on racing cars for his hobby and being a musician as well as executive producer of films including one which parodied religious fanatics "The Life Of Brian". He financed the comedy troupe Monty Python [omigod!!! role-playing comedians!!! oh surely all are bound for hell now] to make this film.

So just do whatever you enjoy doing. You will learn a new skill by practicing it.

This question--along with this answer--shows the need for guidance from advanced devotees in whom we have genuine confidence. There's a difference between playing games and the other things cited in this response. Peter was a professional tennis player. He was good enough that he made a very good living doing it, and an even better living with his company that provided other pros for resorts around the world, as well as his motivational speaking and other activities. He wasn't just a tennis bum. Same goes for Harrison: he made a very good living and a great reputation with his music and other endeavors. And this poster's friend has pursued a profession. But, as far as I know, role-playing games are just a way of passing time, and one that moves the players to immerse their consciousness in some really mundane plane. If you have spare time, why not spend it finding out about the ulitmate role--your role in the drama of Lord Krishna's lila--by seriously practicing sadhana-bhakti and serving more advanced devotees.

Of course, not everyone can live at that level, and your pastime is in fact more innocuous than, say, hunting, drinking, gambling, or cruising for sex. And there's nothing wrong with some regulated recreation. It's not sinful to play games, in the sense that the other activities are. So I don't think there's great harm in relaxing by spending a little time playing games. It's just ultimately a waste of time, just as are so many other things we get into, like TV, surfing, reading fantasy novels, going to movies, etc. And (ahem) I'm sure none of us here indulge in such nonsense! ;)

The real questions to consider are, why do you play games, and how much time do you spend on it (do you control your playing, or does it control you?)? If it hasn't taken over your life, and you have some time for good association, hearing, chanting, and other service, give yourself permission to have a little fun.

Guest guest

I meant give up his name, reveal himself so we can all know he was so into maya the wicked rascal. I couldn't care if he still wishes to spend his life in games.... no problem.

My son is the same, his reality is pretty close to being that world, but he is a humble passive soul occasionally associates with and serves devotees. I've tried to teach him right from wrong, and I'm fairly sure he can see the difference in Final Fantasy. Of course the quest is never ending so long as there is a buck to be made from it. I'd just love to see some cluey devotees get it together to make Krsna concsious games, that can educate the kids with something that will keep their interest these days.

I guess I originally encouraged this habit thinking it would keep him away from the serious crap he could get into on the streets. I'm still not sure where it will all go but i'm hopeful he will get a higher taste like our guestji.

I can appreciate both views here.

but eventually we gotta give it all up.

sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja

I love to play storytelling games other wise known as roleplaying.. Do I need to give these up? Its my favorite past time and I'd rather play these games than watch TV.

Trust me ... there are WORST way of indulging yourself than playing Video Games.

I myself is a Video Game Expert (especially in RPG Category), with over 100 games played and finished under my belt. So, trust me ... it is a good past time.

Even Sri Krishna had past-times - playing with gopis and animals.

Guest guest

Krishna did it, so it's okay for me to do it?

Right. Misconception.

One should spend his time pleasing Krishna's senses, not his own.

Guest guest

Trust me ... there are WORST way of indulging yourself than playing Video Games.

I myself is a Video Game Expert (especially in RPG Category), with over 100 games played and finished under my belt. So, trust me ... it is a good past time.

Even Sri Krishna had past-times - playing with gopis and animals.

Krishna's pastimes are spiritual. Your pastimes are not. That's the difference.

Guest guest

BG Ch 3 Verse 7

"It is better to be a sincere sweeper in the street than a charlatan meditator..." [from purport]

The main thing is just be sincere. Just be honest with yourself what you enjoy doing, then your artha or right livelihood stems from that. Say if you enjoy role-playing then go to college and get a degree in Performing Arts. There are people who have PhDs in Puppetry and they teach others; that's all they do all day long how fun is that?

In Kerala India, for example, there is a Vijnana Academy where you can learn different devotional arts such various performing arts. They teach you how to use this tendency in classical Hindu expressions such as dance and theatre, the performing arts.

All of these expressive arts are part of the 64 arts and sciences that Krsna learned in school of Sandipani Muni that every cultured, educated, and aristocratic person was expected to know as a basic human competency. It is not like dancing with the gopis or something that Krsna did and we can't or shouldn't do, it's just part of being an educated person.

Then when you become so expert in this field you can do plays of spiritual classics or help others learn how to become expert in the performing arts.

You can volunteer at a temple or establish a performing arts camp or travel around the world doing one person devotional plays.

Krishna's pastimes are spiritual. Your pastimes are not. That's the difference.

Sri Krishna is a god, you are not.

Stop pretending that you can become god by mimicking what Sri Krishna did.

Then again, maybe if you want to become so Spiritual that you don't want to live properly, FINE.

Stop having sex with your wife.

Abandon your children.

Abandon your job.

Abandon your wealth and status.

All above is not Spiritual also. :rolleyes:

BG Ch 3 Verse 7

"It is better to be a sincere sweeper in the street than a charlatan meditator..." [from purport]

The main thing is just be sincere. Just be honest with yourself what you enjoy doing, then your artha or right livelihood stems from that. Say if you enjoy role-playing then go to college and get a degree in Performing Arts. There are people who have PhDs in Puppetry and they teach others; that's all they do all day long how fun is that?

In Kerala India, for example, there is a Vijnana Academy where you can learn different devotional arts such various performing arts. They teach you how to use this tendency in classical Hindu expressions such as dance and theatre, the performing arts.

All of these expressive arts are part of the 64 arts and sciences that Krsna learned in school of Sandipani Muni that every cultured, educated, and aristocratic person was expected to know as a basic human competency. It is not like dancing with the gopis or something that Krsna did and we can't or shouldn't do, it's just part of being an educated person.

Then when you become so expert in this field you can do plays of spiritual classics or help others learn how to become expert in the performing arts.

You can volunteer at a temple or establish a performing arts camp or travel around the world doing one person devotional plays.

If he/she wanted to know about Performing Arts, s/he could have asked.

You know ... I think I understand now WHY India, despite of labelling itself as a Computer and Technology Hub in Asia, have not produced their own Game and Multimedia Companies. :eek4:

I know someone so involved in these silly games that he quit his job and sits at home playing day and night. Not only that but he lies to his wife about looking for work and not finding any while she works to support him.

They live in his mother-in-laws house who is crippled and works all day. But a young healthy man sits on his butt playing games like a child.

Don't pretend it is Krishna enjoying the games to rationalize wasting your precious time when it is just you wallowing in maya.

I know someone so involved in these silly games that he quit his job and sits at home playing day and night. Not only that but he lies to his wife about looking for work and not finding any while she works to support him.

They live in his mother-in-laws house who is crippled and works all day. But a young healthy man sits on his butt playing games like a child.

Don't pretend it is Krishna enjoying the games to rationalize wasting your precious time when it is just you wallowing in maya.

I don't know anyone or heard of anyone like that, so why should I assume that you are telling the truth? :rolleyes:

Games, like Sex, like booze, like drugs, like every stupid thing in this world IS ADDICTIVE. It depends on personal responsibility on how you indulge in it.

Like I said before, give up married life, family, your job, status and everything else in life because this too will make you want to sit on your fat butt and forget about Krishna. :rolleyes:

I don't know anyone or heard of anyone like that, so why should I assume that you are telling the truth? :rolleyes:

Games, like Sex, like booze, like drugs, like every stupid thing in this world IS ADDICTIVE. It depends on personal responsibility on how you indulge in it.

Like I said before, give up married life, family, your job, status and everything else in life because this too will make you want to sit on your fat butt and forget about Krishna. :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't care whether or not you believe me. Just because YOU have not heard of such of person does not mean they don't exist. I wasn't talking to you anyway.

Guest guest

Stop having sex with your wife.

Abandon your children.

Abandon your job.

Abandon your wealth and status.

All above is not Spiritual also. :rolleyes:

Actually, there is a way to do all of these things Spiritually. Perhaps you should try reading Srila Prabhupada's books.

<quote>How does one attain "superstardom" playing roleplaying games?</quote>

Well.. It builds story creation skills.. With experience it teaches you to write stories. It also teaches you how to act. Perfect those and your in superstardom. I also just want to make it clear.. I'm not talking about Video Games.. I'm talking about table top roleplaying games.. the 2 are very different.

Guest guest

Be intelligent and get an education. If you want to use those skills for Krishna, then work hard and develop your skills properly through university.

Otherwise it's a waste of time, as mentioned in this topic.

Actually, there is a way to do all of these things Spiritually. Perhaps you should try reading Srila Prabhupada's books.

Sorry, I have rejected ALL Prophet-like characters. Man do not know the Truth, they can only tell you THEIR defination of Truth. For me, I will find my own. Thank you. :smash:

So.. Your saying that it's only good to things unless you make money at it? So I can only play a Roleplaying Game unless Its a career? So what would you say to that? No? How is that different than what you do? Oh I test play games so teenagers can waste their time with playing games? You sir are a Hypocrite..