IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Why the Gaudiya Matha Failed

Rate this topic

"Why this Gaudiya Matha failed? Because they tried to become more than guru. He, before passing away, he gave all direction and never said that 'This man should be the next acharya.’ But these people, just after his passing away they began to fight, who shall be acharya. That is the failure. They never thought, 'Why Guru Maharaja gave us instruction so many things, why he did not say that this man should be acharya?’ They wanted to create artificially somebody acharya and everything failed. They did not consider even with common sense that if Guru Maharaja wanted to appoint somebody as acharya, why did he not say? He said so many things, and this point he missed? The real point? And they insist upon it. They declared some unfit person to become acharya. Then another man came, then another, acharya, another acharya. So better remain a foolish person perpetually to be directed by Guru Maharaja. That is perfection." - Srila Prabhupada Room Conversation, 08-16-76, Bombay

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: After sravan, then varan, five stages there are; first is to hear. The first stage is to hear and the second stage, that is varan, that is, acceptance by the guru and the sisya, both the preceptor and the disciple. That is the second stage, varan dasa. Then the sadhana or the attempt for realization will begin. First stage, to hear openly, open field-fair field to hear-then the connection should come between the guru and sisya-preceptor and disciple, both sides. Then that should be better. Sravan dasa, then varan, then sadhana dasa, apan dasa, prapan dasa-five stages in sadhana in spiritual life.

Submission to guru is unconditional. So when I shall see that my guru is being oppressed by another guru, another Vaisnava, it will create a great disturbance in the mind of the sisya. But our Krsna conscious conception of Godhead has come to relieve you. Whom we think the Supreme-most Krsna, Yasoda is whipping Him and Nanda's paduka (shoes), He is taking them on His head-the Supreme-most devata, Deity. So in this way also, we can adjust-both the absolute faith and the relative position of the non-absolute. These two things should be harmonized. After the departure of our gurudeva, it was thought that one acarya should be made-then, naturally, different acaryas came. Then when some of us proposed many acaryas, I told one thing. If someone marries, a separate room is necessary. Do you follow? Whenever a Vaisnava does not initiate he does not want any special place or special respect, but whenever he initiates, he is absolute in the eyes of his disciples. The sisya cannot tolerate that any other Vaisnava will come to disturb the absolute position of my guru. This heart's feeling-sentiment. How to adjust, it is a very difficult thing.

Guest guest

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: After sravan, then varan, five stages there are; first is to hear. The first stage is to hear and the second stage, that is varan, that is, acceptance by the guru and the sisya, both the preceptor and the disciple. That is the second stage, varan dasa. Then the sadhana or the attempt for realization will begin. First stage, to hear openly, open field-fair field to hear-then the connection should come between the guru and sisya-preceptor and disciple, both sides. Then that should be better. Sravan dasa, then varan, then sadhana dasa, apan dasa, prapan dasa-five stages in sadhana in spiritual life.

Submission to guru is unconditional. So when I shall see that my guru is being oppressed by another guru, another Vaisnava, it will create a great disturbance in the mind of the sisya. But our Krsna conscious conception of Godhead has come to relieve you. Whom we think the Supreme-most Krsna, Yasoda is whipping Him and Nanda's paduka (shoes), He is taking them on His head-the Supreme-most devata, Deity. So in this way also, we can adjust-both the absolute faith and the relative position of the non-absolute. These two things should be harmonized. After the departure of our gurudeva, it was thought that one acarya should be made-then, naturally, different acaryas came. Then when some of us proposed many acaryas, I told one thing. If someone marries, a separate room is necessary. Do you follow? Whenever a Vaisnava does not initiate he does not want any special place or special respect, but whenever he initiates, he is absolute in the eyes of his disciples. The sisya cannot tolerate that any other Vaisnava will come to disturb the absolute position of my guru. This heart's feeling-sentiment. How to adjust, it is a very difficult thing.

"Naturally different acaryas came", how is that? If Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaja didnt instruct anyone except Srila Prabhupada to be the next diksa-guru how can this happen that suddenly many acaryas naturally come? Isnt the order of guru what is naturally - how something else can be called naturally?

Guest guest

What I would like to know, from the disciples of Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, is this:

After the disappearance of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura, how was the next Acharya supposed to have become "manifest".

Explain that to me, if you will please.

People were wanting to find a Guru, and to take initiation from. <b>Who were they to go to, for initiation?</b>

The GBC of the Gaudiya Math was composed of Kunjabihari Vidyabhusan (B.V.Tirtha), Paramananda Vidyaratna, Ananta Vasudeva Brahmacari, Bhakti Keval Audulaumi Maharaja (keshava Maharaj's brother), Professor Nisikantha Sanyal, Hayagriva Brahmacari (Madhava Maharaj), Giri Maharaja and Bon Maharaja.

One group (Madhava, Bon, Kunjabihari) wanted to see many Acharyas.

The other group said that the most senior and most respected person should be the single Acharya (Anantavasudeva).

No third option was discussed. The GBC majority voted to have Anantavasudeva as the single Acharya.

After that, Kunjabihari, Paramananda Vidyaratna and Bon Maharaj walked out. And that was the "Gaudiya Math" breakup.

One other interesting fact is that one disciple had already initiated his own disciples before Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura disappeared. That is, Sripad Bhakti Saranga Goswami. He was instructed to do that by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura. Interestingly, after the break up of the Gaudiya Math, for one year Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada was the temple president of one of the temples of Sripad Bhakti Saranga Goswami. But then he left that role and went to take sannyasa from Keshava Maharaj. But before that, Sripad Bhakti Saranga Goswami had opened 22 temples and initiated thousands of disciples.

If Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada was right to say "none of my Godbrothers are qualified to be Acharyas" then why did he spend one whole year as the temple president of one of the temples of one of his Godbrothers? Is there an answer to this in Prabhupada's books?

What I would like to know, from the disciples of Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, is this:

After the disappearance of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura, how was the next Acharya supposed to have become "manifest".

Srila Prabhupada:

His idea was acarya was not to be nominated amongst the governing body. He said openly you make a GBC and conduct the mission. So his idea was amongst the members of GBC who would come out successful and self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected.

It appears that he meant that the acharya would be selected automatically by the new devotees coming to join the Gaudiya Math.

He says that the acharya was NOT to be nominated by the GBC, so the idea that the acharya would be "selected automatically" must mean that it would be a natural evolution of in whom the next generation of devotees found their faith.

In other worlds, the GBC was NOT to be in the guru or acharya business, because the next acharya would be SELF-EFFULGENT!

If Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada was right to say "none of my Godbrothers are qualified to be Acharyas" then why did he spend one whole year as the temple president of one of the temples of one of his Godbrothers? Is there an answer to this in Prabhupada's books?

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Gurudasa 8/29/72: "Do not be depressed. All along my godbrothers gave me only depression, repression, compression--but I continued strong in my duty. So never mind there is some discouragement, continue with your work in full enthusiastic Krishna Consciousness attitude of service."

THIS IS MY INSTRUCTION TO YOU ALL

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Rupanuga 4/28/74: "In the latter days of my Guru Maharaja he was very disgusted. Actually, he left this world earlier, otherwise he would have continued to live for more years. Still he requested his disciples to form a strong Governing body for preaching the cult of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He never recommended anyone to be acarya of the Gaudiya Math. But Sridhara Maharaja is responsible for disobeying this order of Guru Maharaja, and he and others who are already dead unnecessarily thought that there must be one acarya. If Guru Maharaja could have seen someone who was qualified at that time to be acarya he would have mentioned. Because on the night before he passed away he talked of so many things, but never mentioned an acarya. His idea was talked of so many things, but never mentioned an acarya. His idea was acarya was not to be nominated amongst the governing body. He said openly you make a GBC and conduct the mission. So his idea was amongst the members of GBC who would come out successful and self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected. So Sridhara Maharaja and his two associate gentlemen unauthorizedly selected one acarya and later it proved a failure. The result is now everyone is claiming to be acarya even though they may be kanistha adhikari with no ability to preach. In some of the camps the acarya is being changed three times a year. Therefore we may not commit the same mistake in our ISKCON camp. Actually amongst my Godbrothers no one is qualified to become acarya. So it is better not to mix with my Godbrothers very intimately because instead of inspiring our students and disciples they may sometimes pollute them. This attempt was made previously by them, especially Madhava Maharaja and Tirtha Maharaja and Bon Maharaja but somehow or other I saved the situation. This is going on. We shall be very careful about them and not mix with them. This is my instruction to you all. They cannot help us in our movement, but they are very competent to harm our natural progress. So we must be very careful about them."

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Karandhara 10/8/74: "In India some of the important members they have collected huge amounts in the name of the Society and spent it luxuriously. I wanted you all my experienced disciples should manage the whole institution very cleverly without any personal ambition like ordinary materialistic men. The Gaudiya Math institution has become smashed, at least stopped its program of preaching work on account of personal ambitions."

Guest guest

Srila Prabhupada praises Anantavasudeva in 1968:

Seattle, Washington

October 22, 1968

I offer my humble prostrated obeisances at the lotus feet of all the Vaisnavas.

Sripada Trivikrama Maharaja,

Yesterday I received your letter dated October 12, and its contents were heart-breaking. Kindly inform me of the details of the sudden disappearance of Pujyapada Maharaja (Srila B.P., Kesava Maharaja). I had a very long-standing, intimate relationship with Srila Maharaja. When I used to visit Sridhara Mayapura, I was taken care of by Sripada Narahari Dada and Sripada Vinoda Dada with great affection. They were my extremely loving friends. Also in Calcutta, the senior Tirtha Maharaja, Professor Nisikanta Sannyal and <strong>Vasudeva Prabhu</strong>, were very dear to me. Afterwards I used to visit and associate freely with Sripada Sridhara Maharaja as if we were the closest of family members. Except for Sripada Sridhara Maharaja, all of the above-mentioned Vaisnavas have gradually disappeared. Our time is also approaching, so it will be best to have the opportunity to serve Srila Prabhupada as long as possible.

I have a very close connection with Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti. Yourself, and particularly Sripada Vamana Maharaja, are well aware of the fact that I am one of the three persons who founded Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti. We had conceived the idea of the formation of Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti at Bosapada Lane, Calcutta, even before Srila (Kesava) Maharaja accepted sannyasa. Within a few days of the formation of the Samiti, Sri Narottamananda Brahmacari (presently Tridandi Swami Sri Srimad Bhakti Kamala Madhusudana Maharaja) separated himself from the Samiti. At that time Sripada Vamana Maharaja, who was then a brahmacari, visited our home at Sitakanta Banarji Lane; He made me the chief editor of the Bengali magazine, Sri Gaudiya Patrika.

Respecting the order of Srila (Kesava) Maharaja, I started writing articles for the Gaudiya Patrika regularly. Srila Maharaja greatly appreciated whatever I wrote. Thereafter, I was also appointed as the president of the Hindi magazine, Sri Bhagavata Patrika, and many of my articles were published in that. Afterwards I could not submit articles due to lack of time. Now I have become a resident of foreign lands and I have to travel twenty thousand miles every year. The greatest compassion of Srila Kesava Maharaja was to make me a sannyasi. I had taken a vow that I would never accept sannyasa, but Srila Maharaja forcibly gave it to me. He would certainly have been most pleased today to see the success of my preaching. Last year I visited him in Calcutta along with my disciples, and despite being bedridden, he was very pleased to receive us. I have complete confidence that both in his manifest presence and after his disappearance, he must be very pleased to see my widespread preaching of the message of Sriman Mahaprabhu in Western countries like America, Canada, England, Germany and Hawaii (Honolulu), situated in the pacific ocean, as well as eastern countries like Japan (Tokyo! and so on.)

I was a staunch grhamedi (one whose thoughts are absorbed in household affairs). Srila Prabhupada used to come to me in dreams from time to time and call me to renounce family life and come along with him. The dreams would frighten me and make me think that I would have to accept sannyasa. I didn't have any desire to take sannyasa. But upon the repeated insistence of Sripada Narayana Maharaja, Srila Kesava Maharaja bestowed boundless mercy upon this unwilling and blind person, by forcibly giving me sannyasa. It seems that this desire of Srila Prabhupada's was transmitted into his heart, and it was thus that my sannyasa was accomplished.

So I am eternally indebted to Srila (Kesava) Maharaja. Therefore, immediately after receiving your letter, I organized a viraha-sabha, an assembly at the Seattle temple to honor his disappearance. I am sending the condolence resolution of the meeting along with this letter. Kindly accept it as our Sraddhanjali, or humble homage. In my other centers (the list is enclosed), particularly London, Hamburg and Honolulu I have given instruction to arrange a viraha-sabha and offer Sraddhanjali homage likewise.

You will be glad to know that under my guidance I have formed three sankirtana parties comprising American youths and couples. One such party is currently traveling to all cities in America and I am also with this party. The second party of six devotees is performing kirtana at different places in London. The Indians living there are amazed to see them. They have given up their home land and come all the way to the Westen world to attain wealth and reputation, but the Americans are performing harinama-sankirtana. Somehow the preaching activities are going on very nicely. I am interested to know what kind of constitution you are forming. In this matter you will receive my complete cooperation, because I am a man of constructive ideas. I do not like destructive policies.

It was the desire of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura that Americans perform kirtana in Sridhama Mayapura, and that opportunity has now come. Unfortunately, those who have intruded into Mayapura consider it to be their personal property.

These days others are restricted from visiting that place. Srila Kesava Maharaja used to deal with these guru-tyagis (those who renounce their guru) and guru-bhogis (those who enjoy the property of their guru) with sword in hand. Anyway, last year he mentioned that he would arrange five acres of land for me in Sridhama Mayapura. You were present at that time. If you help me in this matter, I intend to make an asrama in Mayapura.

American boys and girls can visit and stay there and receive proper training. By our cooperation, preaching activities can be done very nicely. Therefore, I am eager to know the details of your constitution.

I am going to Montreal tomorrow. From there I will go to Santa Fe (New Mexico) and then to Los Angeles. I am sending the addresses of our various centers along with this letter. We are executing a plan to build New Vrndavana on three hundred acres of land. Kindly reply to the Los Angeles-Hollywood address as I will be staying three days in Montreal, seven days in Santa Fe and almost one month in Los Angeles.

pythivite ache yata nagaradi grama

sarvatra pracara haibe mora nama

Preaching can be spread extensively throughout the world on the basis of this system. I think that you will make your constitution directly in accordance with the above prediction. I hope your bhajana is going on nicely.

Your obedient servant,

Sri Bhaktivedanta Swami

Guest guest

So his idea was amongst the members of GBC who would come out successful and self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected.

Prabhupada's words are very clear.

Prabhupada said the next Acarya would be one of the Gaudiya Matha GBC members.

Well, the Gaudiya Matha GBC majority did chose one person: Anantavasudeva.

Prabhupada's words are very clear.

Prabhupada said the next Acarya would be one of the Gaudiya Matha GBC members.

Well, the Gaudiya Matha GBC majority did chose one person: Anantavasudeva.

See. this is where you are having selective memory loss.

Srila Prabhupada it made it clear that the Gaudiya Matha GBC would have no part in selecting the acharya.

His idea was acarya was not to be nominated amongst the governing body. He said openly you make a GBC and conduct the mission. So his idea was amongst the members of GBC who would come out successful and self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected.

If he says that the GBC cannot nominate the acharya but says the next acharya would be automatically selected, then that cannot mean anything else other than the next acharya would be "self-effulgent" and would be selected in faith by the next generation of devotees.

Srila Prabhupada praises Anantavasudeva in 1968:

Seattle, Washington

October 22, 1968

I offer my humble prostrated obeisances at the lotus feet of all the Vaisnavas.

Sripada Trivikrama Maharaja,

Yesterday I received your letter dated October 12, and its contents were heart-breaking. Kindly inform me of the details of the sudden disappearance of Pujyapada Maharaja (Srila B.P., Kesava Maharaja). I had a very long-standing, intimate relationship with Srila Maharaja. When I used to visit Sridhara Mayapura, I was taken care of by Sripada Narahari Dada and Sripada Vinoda Dada with great affection. They were my extremely loving friends. Also in Calcutta, the senior Tirtha Maharaja, Professor Nisikanta Sannyal and Vasudeva Prabhu, were very dear to me. Afterwards I used to visit and associate freely with Sripada Sridhara Maharaja as if we were the closest of family members. Except for Sripada Sridhara Maharaja, all of the above-mentioned Vaisnavas have gradually disappeared. Our time is also approaching, so it will be best to have the opportunity to serve Srila Prabhupada as long as possible.

I have a very close connection with Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti. Yourself, and particularly Sripada Vamana Maharaja, are well aware of the fact that I am one of the three persons who founded Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti. We had conceived the idea of the formation of Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Samiti at Bosapada Lane, Calcutta, even before Srila (Kesava) Maharaja accepted sannyasa. Within a few days of the formation of the Samiti, Sri Narottamananda Brahmacari (presently Tridandi Swami Sri Srimad Bhakti Kamala Madhusudana Maharaja) separated himself from the Samiti. At that time Sripada Vamana Maharaja, who was then a brahmacari, visited our home at Sitakanta Banarji Lane; He made me the chief editor of the Bengali magazine, Sri Gaudiya Patrika.

Respecting the order of Srila (Kesava) Maharaja, I started writing articles for the Gaudiya Patrika regularly. Srila Maharaja greatly appreciated whatever I wrote. Thereafter, I was also appointed as the president of the Hindi magazine, Sri Bhagavata Patrika, and many of my articles were published in that. Afterwards I could not submit articles due to lack of time. Now I have become a resident of foreign lands and I have to travel twenty thousand miles every year. The greatest compassion of Srila Kesava Maharaja was to make me a sannyasi. I had taken a vow that I would never accept sannyasa, but Srila Maharaja forcibly gave it to me. He would certainly have been most pleased today to see the success of my preaching. Last year I visited him in Calcutta along with my disciples, and despite being bedridden, he was very pleased to receive us. I have complete confidence that both in his manifest presence and after his disappearance, he must be very pleased to see my widespread preaching of the message of Sriman Mahaprabhu in Western countries like America, Canada, England, Germany and Hawaii (Honolulu), situated in the pacific ocean, as well as eastern countries like Japan (Tokyo! and so on.)

I was a staunch grhamedi (one whose thoughts are absorbed in household affairs). Srila Prabhupada used to come to me in dreams from time to time and call me to renounce family life and come along with him. The dreams would frighten me and make me think that I would have to accept sannyasa. I didn't have any desire to take sannyasa. But upon the repeated insistence of Sripada Narayana Maharaja, Srila Kesava Maharaja bestowed boundless mercy upon this unwilling and blind person, by forcibly giving me sannyasa. It seems that this desire of Srila Prabhupada's was transmitted into his heart, and it was thus that my sannyasa was accomplished.

So I am eternally indebted to Srila (Kesava) Maharaja. Therefore, immediately after receiving your letter, I organized a viraha-sabha, an assembly at the Seattle temple to honor his disappearance. I am sending the condolence resolution of the meeting along with this letter. Kindly accept it as our Sraddhanjali, or humble homage. In my other centers (the list is enclosed), particularly London, Hamburg and Honolulu I have given instruction to arrange a viraha-sabha and offer Sraddhanjali homage likewise.

You will be glad to know that under my guidance I have formed three sankirtana parties comprising American youths and couples. One such party is currently traveling to all cities in America and I am also with this party. The second party of six devotees is performing kirtana at different places in London. The Indians living there are amazed to see them. They have given up their home land and come all the way to the Westen world to attain wealth and reputation, but the Americans are performing harinama-sankirtana. Somehow the preaching activities are going on very nicely. I am interested to know what kind of constitution you are forming. In this matter you will receive my complete cooperation, because I am a man of constructive ideas. I do not like destructive policies.

It was the desire of Srila Prabhupada and Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura that Americans perform kirtana in Sridhama Mayapura, and that opportunity has now come. Unfortunately, those who have intruded into Mayapura consider it to be their personal property.

These days others are restricted from visiting that place. Srila Kesava Maharaja used to deal with these guru-tyagis (those who renounce their guru) and guru-bhogis (those who enjoy the property of their guru) with sword in hand. Anyway, last year he mentioned that he would arrange five acres of land for me in Sridhama Mayapura. You were present at that time. If you help me in this matter, I intend to make an asrama in Mayapura.

American boys and girls can visit and stay there and receive proper training. By our cooperation, preaching activities can be done very nicely. Therefore, I am eager to know the details of your constitution.

I am going to Montreal tomorrow. From there I will go to Santa Fe (New Mexico) and then to Los Angeles. I am sending the addresses of our various centers along with this letter. We are executing a plan to build New Vrndavana on three hundred acres of land. Kindly reply to the Los Angeles-Hollywood address as I will be staying three days in Montreal, seven days in Santa Fe and almost one month in Los Angeles.

pythivite ache yata nagaradi grama

sarvatra pracara haibe mora nama

Preaching can be spread extensively throughout the world on the basis of this system. I think that you will make your constitution directly in accordance with the above prediction. I hope your bhajana is going on nicely.

Your obedient servant,

Sri Bhaktivedanta Swami

this letter is does not contain any instructions of Srila Prabhupada to his disciples.

It was a personal letter to a Godbrother and has NOTHING to do with Srila Prabhupada's instructions to his disciples.

In fact, I am quite sure that Srila Prabhupada would be quite upset that someone has dug up this personal letter to a Godbrother with the attempt to undermine his direct orders to his disciples.

Srila Prabhupada NEVER authorized this letter to be circulated publicly as if it is anything he wanted to give to his disciples, and the attempt to do so is a dispicable abuse of Srila Prabhupada's personal letters.

Also in Calcutta, the senior Tirtha Maharaja, Professor Nisikanta Sannyal and Vasudeva Prabhu, were very dear to me.

Srila Prabhuapda said they WERE dear to him not that they ARE dear to him.

Guest guest

See. this is where you are having selective memory loss.

Srila Prabhupada it made it clear that the Gaudiya Matha GBC would have no part in selecting the acharya.

If he says that the GBC cannot nominate the acharya but says the next acharya would be automatically selected, then that cannot mean anything else other than the next acharya would be "self-effulgent" and would be selected in faith by the next generation of devotees.

This is really amazing that the Gaudiya-matha today doesnt even mention Srila Prabhupada with one word: radha-govinda.net/parampara.html

Guest guest
So his idea was <b>amongst the members of GBC</b> who would come out successful and self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected.

Guest guest

amongst the members of GBC

This is really amazing that the Gaudiya-matha today doesnt even mention Srila Prabhupada with one word: radha-govinda.net/parampara.html

Thats the diksa line of Sri Srimad Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Gosvami Maharaja. His organization is not the "Gaudiya Math" that is being discussed. From an organizational standpoint the "Gaudiya Math" no longer exists.

Srila Prabhuapda said they WERE dear to him not that they ARE dear to him.

The question is: They were dear to him in on Oct. 22, 1968 because they were no longer dear to him on that date or the English past tense is used because they had passed away? How can you jump to such conclusions without carefully studying the situation?

His idea was acarya was not to be nominated amongst the governing body.

self effulgent acarya would be automatically selected.

Selected by the next generation out of faith - NOT selected by the GBC.

The question is: They were dear to him in on Oct. 22, 1968 because they were no longer dear to him on that date or the English past tense is used because they had passed away? How can you jump to such conclusions without carefully studying the situation?

this letter is does not contain any instructions of Srila Prabhupada to his disciples.

It was a personal letter to a Godbrother and has NOTHING to do with Srila Prabhupada's instructions to his disciples.

In fact, I am quite sure that Srila Prabhupada would be quite upset that someone has dug up this personal letter to a Godbrother with the attempt to undermine his direct orders to his disciples.

Srila Prabhupada NEVER authorized this letter to be circulated publicly as if it is anything he wanted to give to his disciples, and the attempt to do so is a despicable abuse of Srila Prabhupada's personal letters.

Guest guest

I had a very long-standing, intimate relationship with Srila Maharaja... Afterwards I used to visit and associate freely with Sripada Sridhara Maharaja as if we were the closest of family members... They were my extremely loving friends... Sripada Trivikrama Maharaja...Sripada Vamana Maharaja...Sripada Narayana Maharaja...

Thankyou for posting this, guest. Sometimes devotees forget, or were unaware, that Srila Prabhupada was not lacking in genuine, personal, loving, caring relationships with his Godbrothers and their disciples. We see that he humbly and respectfully addresses sanyassa devotees with the title "Sripada." And in the case of his Sannyasa Guru, "Srila." Yet, all too often, some 38 odd years later on the internet, some of us can't even affix "Maharaja" to someone's name, let alone "Sripada" or "Srila", or at the very least, "HH". I don't know, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but it seems to me that it's better to err on the side of being respectful.

Guest guest

From the letter to Rupanuga:

If Guru Maharaja could have seen someone who was qualified at that time to be acarya he would have mentioned. Because on the night before he passed away he talked of so many things, but never mentioned an acarya. His idea was talked of so many things, but never mentioned an acarya.

Srila Prabhupada said "If Guru Maharaja could have seen someone who was qualified at that time to be acarya he would have mentioned."

I guess we can also understand this to mean that Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur did not recognize Srila Abhay Charan Bhaktivedanta as being qualified to be Guru either.

True, but it is now a valid historical document that gives insight into Srila Prabhupada's pre-ISKCON lila.

Srila Prabhupada NEVER authorized this letter to be circulated publicly as if it is anything he wanted to give to his disciples, and the attempt to do so is a despicable abuse of Srila Prabhupada's personal letters.

Can you give proof that Srila Prabhupada NEVER authorized this letter to be circulated publicly...? If you can show no evidence then how can you get on such a "high horse" and proclaim despicable abuse? If you had such deep insight into Srila Prabhupada's thoughts then you would have to be on the same level as he. Then you would be a "self-effulgent acarya". As this point you have only Srila Prabhupada's books, tapes, letters etc. as they are filtered through your mind. Do you assume that your mind is pure?

Srila Prabhupada said "If Guru Maharaja could have seen someone who was qualified at that time to be acarya he would have mentioned."

I guess we can also understand this to mean that Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur did not recognize Srila Abhay Charan Bhaktivedanta as being qualified to be Guru either.

Ceratainly, Srila Prabhupada was a "junior disciple" who had no power or position in the Gaudiya Math.

He would have been a poor choice for acharya even if he was qualified, because none of the senior disciples of Gaudiya Matha would have accepted that.

Srila Prabhupada was instructed from day one by his spiritual master that he would preach in English to the western world, by writing books and spreading the Krishna consciousness movement.

Definitly, Srila Prabhupada would NOT have been any kind of good choice for the next acharya of the Gaudiya Matha and it is quite sure that he would not have accepted such a position anyway.

One becomes acharya by accomplishment, not by appointment.

Acharyas prove themselves with their accomplishment in preaching.

They are not appointed or nominated by committees.

Guest guest

When I first read that letter to Rupanuga I lost almost all of the faith I had in Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. I still haven't got that faith back now. I don't think I ever will.

-m.

As this point you have only Srila Prabhupada's books, tapes, letters etc. as they are filtered through your mind. Do you assume that your mind is pure?

I don't assume anything really.

But it is quite obvious that persons of your bent always try to pidgeonhole every devotee into some vaidhi-bhakti stereotype.

talk about high horse?

Climb down out of your ivory tower of vaidhi-bhakti and find out that your mechanical bhakti is an obstacle to pure love of Krishna.

I am a sahajiya.

I don't practice mechanical bhakti.:eek: