IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Can Anyone Give Me An Answer

Rate this topic

In 1961, Srila Prabhupada wrote a presentation called Light of the Bhagavat that he was planning to deliver at the Human Spirit conference in Japan that he had been invited to attend.

It says in the introduction that the message was written by Srila Prabhupada in Vrindavan in 1961, four years before his coming to America to start the Krishna conscousness movement.

So, can anybody tell me how and why we find this paragraph on page 31 of the book?

I am just curious, because ISKCON did not even exist in 1961, nor did Srila Prabhupada have any students as described below:

page 31, Light of the Bhagavat

We have practical experience of this with our students in the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. Before becoming students, they were dirty looking, although they had naturally beautiful personal features; but due to having no information of Krsna consciousness they appeared very dirty and wretched. Since they have taken to Krsna consciousness, their health has improved, and by following the rules and regulations, their bodily luster has increased. When they are dressed with saffron-colored cloth, with tilaka on their foreheads and beads in their hands and on their necks, they look exactly as if they come directly from Vaikuntha.

Call me stupid, but I am confused.................:deal:

this was added when the BBT published the light of the bhagavat long after srila prabhupada's disappearance....srila prabhupada wrote numerous small books long like Easy Journey before he arrived in america while he was studying and residing at the most auspicious radha damodara in vrndavana...as well as the 3 books of SB Canto 1 commentary, translation etc....that he carried with him to america on the jaladuta...

hare krsna

This passage was lifted verbatim from Krsna book, "Description of Autumn."

Why?

Did they they think it was something necessary to improve the message of the book?

Most disciples of Srila Prabhupada would not approve of this kind of tinkering with the writings of Srila Prabhupada.

At least there should have been something said in the introduction of the book that the BBT editors took liberties to add some things to the book that were not in the original manuscript.

this is the kind of thing that makes a lot of devotees want to kick these BBT editors in the head.

Guest guest

Why?

Did they they think it was something necessary to improve the message of the book?

Most disciples of Srila Prabhupada would not approve of this kind of tinkering with the writings of Srila Prabhupada.

At least there should have been something said in the introduction of the book that the BBT editors took liberties to add some things to the book that were not in the original manuscript.

this is the kind of thing that makes a lot of devotees want to kick these BBT editors in the head.

What has changed is that they don't say "Srila Prabhupada" anymore but instead, "our Prabhupada". And when you say "our Prabhupada", it is probably ok to do such things....and so it goes.

This also could be a hint/pointer to remind you who's holding the reins.

Guest guest

Why?

I noticed the same thing. Personally i'd email Jayadvaita Swami, and ask. jswami . info. Provided you're polite, you may get a response.

I noticed the same thing. Personally i'd email Jayadvaita Swami, and ask. jswami . info. Provided you're polite, you may get a response.

I already know the answer.

It was a shameless plug at self-promotion by those that wanted to direct the readers of that books to the current "guru elite" of ISKCON with this alternative reference.

It was an attempt to promote the ISKCON gurus in a writing of Srila Prabhupada where such promotion did not exist.

In light of all the abominations and atrocities that have since been committed by so many of these disciples that Srila Prabhupada referred to, I think it is a stain and blemish on what is otherwise a beautiful and poetic writing of Srila Prabhupada.

It drags a lot of political baggage with it and has overtones of tampering and cheating the readers.

It was unauthorized tampering for political purposes to give atttention to people that the original book never gave any attention to.

The perpetrators of this kind of tempering with the books of Srila Prabhupada will go down in infamy.

It will not be anything that future generations will appreciate.

Guest guest

Or you could increase your intake of Superfoods so as to not have so much rancor over every little thing that you encounter in life. The KC diet of white rice, white sugar, white flour, whole fat dairy, and fried foods is not that great culmulatively over the long haul for the neurotransmitters of the brain that control our responses to stress.

Try rhodolia which is a natural adaptogen. I mean really: is Krsna in control or not? If God is actually in control, then what is there to worry about? If God is not in control and we are just hurtling through space with no rhyme or reason to anything then you might as well just relax and enjoy yourself also. As opposed to spending our brief time on earth bitter and cranky.

Really, do you think everyone in the world is a moron and they take seriously all propaganda that they read? Do you think that everyone in the world only has a fourth grade education and they missed fifth grade in which if you had a competent teacher you were taught how to analyze propaganda in History class? Then it was repeated again in tenth grade: how to identify different types of propaganda in books and the media?

If everyone in the world is a moron then the world would be in much worse shape than it is. Fortunately some people on the planet have IQs over 80 and they know how to critique what they read as they read it. Some even have IQs over 100. So there is nothing to worry about.

The morons and dim bulbs, dunderheads and dimwits of humanity might become confused by what they read, but other people will be smart enough to just instantly take the essence of whatever good thing that they read, reagrdless of how artlessly it is written.

So why worry? "What, me worry?" --Alfred E. Neumann. So no worries, mate.

Guest guest

Or you could increase your intake of Superfoods so as to not have so much rancor over every little thing that you encounter in life. The KC diet of white rice, white sugar, white flour, whole fat dairy, and fried foods is not that great culmulatively over the long haul for the neurotransmitters of the brain that control our responses to stress.

Try rhodolia which is a natural adaptogen. I mean really: is Krsna in control or not? If God is actually in control, then what is there to worry about? If God is not in control and we are just hurtling through space with no rhyme or reason to anything then you might as well just relax and enjoy yourself also. As opposed to spending our brief time on earth bitter and cranky.

Really, do you think everyone in the world is a moron and they take seriously all propaganda that they read? Do you think that everyone in the world only has a fourth grade education and they missed fifth grade in which if you had a competent teacher you were taught how to analyze propaganda in History class? Then it was repeated again in tenth grade: how to identify different types of propaganda in books and the media?

If everyone in the world is a moron then the world would be in much worse shape than it is. Fortunately some people on the planet have IQs over 80 and they know how to critique what they read as they read it. Some even have IQs over 100. So there is nothing to worry about.

The morons and dim bulbs, dunderheads and dimwits of humanity might become confused by what they read, but other people will be smart enough to just instantly take the essence of whatever good thing that they read, reagrdless of how artlessly it is written.

I think Kshamabuddhi just wants to find out for himself where's the limit of present genuine Vaishnava spirit. Are people advisable and change when quotes who cant be misinterpreted are presented or do they just act according their own whims/interests? If you dont speak out this clearly means - you accept. Deviants who are not admonished can go on as they like. When it comes to religious institutions who deviate from truthfullness, tapasysa, etc. why keep quiet and become a complice? Whats quite alarming is that you cant know presently who actually controls ISKCON? It's hard to believe that ISKCON is being led by present GBC men. They put Bhakti Vaibhava Swami as GBC chief but he's a person who doesnt know anything, why was he put in that position?

Guest guest

I already know the answer.

It was a shameless plug at self-promotion by those that wanted to direct the readers of that books to the current "guru elite" of ISKCON with this alternative reference.

It was an attempt to promote the ISKCON gurus in a writing of Srila Prabhupada where such promotion did not exist.

In light of all the abominations and atrocities that have since been committed by so many of these disciples that Srila Prabhupada referred to, I think it is a stain and blemish on what is otherwise a beautiful and poetic writing of Srila Prabhupada.

It drags a lot of political baggage with it and has overtones of tampering and cheating the readers.

It was unauthorized tampering for political purposes to give atttention to people that the original book never gave any attention to.

The perpetrators of this kind of tempering with the books of Srila Prabhupada will go down in infamy.

It will not be anything that future generations will appreciate.

Yeah, but is this the real answer, given with authority, or another speculation?

Better polish your crystal ball there pardner.

I haved been consuming superfood for many years.

Probably longer and of a higher standard than you.

I start every day with hot herb tea and a natural combination of about 20 herbs.

I consume almost NO white sugar - wouldn't amount to a 1/8 pound every 10 years. The only sugar I have used for the last 20 years is raw sugar.

I also avoid white flour in favor of whole wheat.

In my fridge I have organic whole milk from a farm that treats cows nicely.

I rarely have fried foods, but when I do they are fried in Peanut oil.

I take over 20 different herbs every day and have been for years.

I take blue-green algae and Spirulina daily.

I take bee pollen and raw honey.

I love Noni Juice.

My main staple is black walnuts, pumpkin seeds and organic milk.

I regularly take iron free Green Source vitamins.

I take the adaptogen Eleuthero daily and have for years.

So, better get some Windex on that dusty ol' crystal ball of yours, because this here 53 year old can work circles around people half his age and has been doing so for years.

I am the king of superfood.

If you feel like you are being treated like a moron, then maybe you should get some treatment.

MY pointing out tampering with the books of Srila Prabhupada was not to infer that any reader was a moron.

Maybe the BBT editors are morons, but I never indicated the readers of the books were morons.

You are just reading too much into this topic.

Cool down bro..... take a deep breath and count to ten!:)

Maybe the BBT editors are morons..............:)

They would probably rather quote verses like below, where Lord Chaitanya defines what is a Vaishnava, initiated or not initiated:

Upon hearing this, Satyarāja said, "How can I recognize a Vaiṣṇava? Please let me know what a Vaiṣṇava is. What are his common symptoms?"

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu replied, "Whoever chants the holy name of Kṛṣṇa just once is worshipable and is the topmost human being.

"Simply by chanting the holy name of Kṛṣṇa once, a person is relieved from all the reactions of a sinful life. One can complete the nine processes of devotional service simply by chanting the holy name.

"One does not have to undergo initiation or execute the activities required before initiation. One simply has to vibrate the holy name with his lips. Thus even a man in the lowest class [caṇḍāla] can be delivered.

"By chanting the holy name of the Lord, one dissolves his entanglement in material activities. After this, one becomes very much attracted to Kṛṣṇa, and thus dormant love for Kṛṣṇa is awakened.

"'The holy name of Lord Kṛṣṇa is an attractive feature for many saintly, liberal people. It is the annihilator of all sinful reactions and is so powerful that, save for the dumb who cannot chant it, it is readily available to everyone, including the lowest type of man, the caṇḍāla. The holy name of Kṛṣṇa is the controller of the opulence of liberation, and it is identical with Kṛṣṇa. When a person simply chants the holy name with his tongue, immediate effects are produced. Chanting the holy name does not depend on initiation, pious activities or the puraścaryā regulative principles generally observed before initiation. The holy name does not wait for any of these activities. It is self-sufficient.'"

(CC Madhya 15.105-110)

Yeah, but is this the real answer, given with authority, or another speculation?

Are you authorized to question my authority?

Authority?

If it's true, then it is authoritative.

What is your explanation of why the BBT editors would slip this statement into the book?

Nowhere in the book was there any reference to ISKCON or the disciples of Srila Prabhupada.

The BBT editors felt it necessary to incorperate some referenece to ISKCON, especially in reference to the "dirty looking" disciples of Srila Prabhupada.

Anyway, I think the pristine, untouched original version is more preferred than some BBT altered version of the book.

Guest guest

So what does the 'untouched' version say?

I agree, it was probably put in by the BBT. But that's a speculation, I don't know that. Who knows, Prabhupada could have written "international society", "league of devotees" or similar. Prabhupada always had big plans, you know that.

If you actually wanted to know if it was inserted, why, etc, you would email the editor as provided earlier. But as i've seen, you'd rather assume, then assume the motive, then splash your speculations over everyone, influencing new devotees into something that's probably only a half-truth.